Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 05-08-2016, 8:42 AM

Default Has anyone tried these A-zooms for dry fire?

Hi guys new to forum and picking up my first gun this Saturday. I was just wondering has anyone tried these?
Wanted to have some thing to dryfire practice with

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002I...uCL&ref=plSrch
Old 05-08-2016, 8:58 AM

Of course. I like A zooms better than the other brand- they seem to last longer.

STOP THE TUNNELS
Old 05-08-2016, 9:00 AM

I've been using them for several years. They're great.
Old 05-08-2016, 9:01 AM

I have them in 9mm, .40, .45, and .223. They work great. You will get to use them the day you pick up your gun to demonstrate competency with the weapon before you can leave the store.

Dry fire practice at home requires that you know and follow the rules for dry fire practice. Here is a link describing dry practice:

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/eff...fire-practice/

Be safe and enjoy your new weapon.

NRA Patron Member
CRPA Life Member
2AF Defender
Old 05-08-2016, 9:08 AM

I have them in .38 Special, 9mm, and 9mm Mak. They all have worked well. I don't really do much dry fire practice, but they have come in handy when doing function tests.
Old 05-08-2016, 9:08 AM

I would definitely recommend them! You may want to look on Amazon or on Walmart's website for better pricing than a gun store
Old 05-08-2016, 9:14 AM

Yes, the A-Zooms work perfectly! They are great to train and practice with.

***DO NOT HAVE ANY...ANY..(repeat after me)...ANY live ammunition in the room as you dry-fire practice***

They get a bit chewed up as you use them. Just use a little bit of sandpaper to smooth out any rough edges. But, all in all, they will provide a lot of use. They are expendables, just like anything. You can buy them from time to time.

There is a TON of collective experience and wisdom on this board and youtube. Start with Hickok45.

Happy shooting and welcome to the shooting sports!!!

Edited to Add: *DO NOT buy the snap caps that look like real ammunition like you see on eBay!*
Ruger Mark III 22/45 5.5" Barrel
Newest-Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Old 05-08-2016, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

A-Zooms aren't very good. They're made of aluminum and the rims will chip after excessive use.

ST Action Pro are better, and cost about $1 a round. You can find them on Amazon or their own website.

You don't need to use snap caps to dry fire modern firearms.

44 Mag ammo for sale

Federal Premium Law Enforcement ammo for sale, 45 Auto/38 Special
Old 05-08-2016, 9:59 AM

I have A-Zooms in all caliber weapons I own. Totally recommended. I like them because it is easy to recognize by color. As stated above do NOT buy snap caps that look like real rounds, good way to ask for an ND.

Yes they do get a bit chewed up on the edges by extractors because they are aluminum. So what. They'll last for years and the aluminum is softer than any steel chamber they go into. If you want to, as stated above sand the edges as they get a bit chewed up, that's fine too. Also I've attended trainings where someone racked a plastic round into a hot chamber, very, very messy and bad.

But as also stated above, never, ever, have live rounds, or mags with live rounds when you do dry free practice, may importante!

Wonderful tools, but the weight is still a bit different then live rounds. I prefer dry fire practice with them because they are close in weight. I much prefer this to dry firing an empty weapon as the weight, and therefore the balance of any weapon is just totally different with the weapon completely empty. Not a good way to practice to my thinking, but that's me.

Oh and support the LGS folks if they are even close to reasonable people. Spend the extra three bucks rather than buying them on-line from Amazon and their slave labor practices. Particularly as a beginner, you're going to want to use those folks as a source of information and insight.

Last edited by sfarchitect; 05-08-2016 at 10:11 AM..
Old 05-08-2016, 10:16 AM

I used to use them. If you get these do not drop the slide on them. The chamber peened the case mouth edge flaring it a bit. I had a harder time cycling the slide as the round was getting kinda stuck.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musubi1000 View Post
I used to use them. If you get these do not drop the slide on them. The chamber peened the case mouth edge flaring it a bit. I had a harder time cycling the slide as the round was getting kinda stuck.

Practicing feeding, ejecting, and malfunction drills is exactly what I've always used them for.
Never had a problem with them in 9mm or .45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:35 AM

Newbie shooter here - bought myself two 5-pk AZooms in 40 S&W when I picked up my G22 last Thursday.

Good way for practice. Love them!

Also, picked up one of these magazine speed loader:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001HBHNHE/...d_p=1944687562
Old 05-08-2016, 10:36 AM

I use A-Zooms in revolvers. The aluminum rims get chewed up when cycling the slide on a pistol.

For a pistol I'll use Tipton or Pachmayr, the rim area is brass and holds up better than the aluminum based snap caps.

I recently tried the B's Dry Fire Snap Caps found on Amazon. For handguns they only have 9mm at this time. Brass cartridge with a painted lead bullet. The primer area is a silicon rubber to absorb the firing pin impact. The work well and simulate the weight of the real deal.

For most of my dry firing practice I use a Laserlyte Cartridge, it acts as a snap cap as well as a laser to pinpoint impact and to show jerking of trigger. It wouldn't be used for malfunction drill practice, use snap caps for that.

You can also find action dummy rounds and add a silicon/rubber plug to the primer area.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:37 AM

I only wish they were brightly anodized
Old 05-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

I've used a few types but I just want to warn against the orange plastic ones maybe mine were a Chinese knockoffs of the Patchmeyer type but the rim of the orange plastic case broke off. So then racking the slide would not automatically eject them but you could still practice failure to eject drills and dry fire with them in there. And they easely were tapped out with a dowel or pencil so it wasn't like they were totally useless. Just beware of the cheap plastic type will probably eventually do that.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:09 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
I've used a few types but I just want to warn against the orange plastic ones maybe mine were a Chinese knockoffs of the Patchmeyer type but the rim of the orange plastic case broke off. So then racking the slide would not automatically eject them but you could still practice failure to eject drills and dry fire with them in there. And they easely were tapped out with a dowel or pencil so it wasn't like they were totally useless. Just beware of the cheap plastic type will probably eventually do that.
Unfortunately, not many alternatives for rimfire.

By the nature of rimfire, dry fire is bad because the pin is likely to contact the edge of the chamber, potentially damaging both.

Aluminum A-Zooms are an improvement, but whether aluminum or plastic, are still short-term use items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Another vote for the B's Dry Fire Snap Caps for centerfire.

I want my dry fire to be as accurate as possible, and that means dummy rounds that weigh about what real rounds weigh. With the A-Zoom that doesn't happen, and the weight differential is very noticeable, especially when you're doing reloads and driving the gun between targets.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Calguns Addict

i have some of these

seem to work well, probably a little more expensive though...i have the A Zoom snap caps too

http://www.amazon.com/Tipton-Snap-Ca.../dp/B0048KFEQI

"We want food, medicine, and one of those cows" - Daryl Dixon TWD
Old 05-08-2016, 11:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4eyes View Post
I use A-Zooms in revolvers. The aluminum rims get chewed up when cycling the slide on a pistol.

For a pistol I'll use Tipton or Pachmayr, the rim area is brass and holds up better than the aluminum based snap caps.
That's exactly what I found.

There's also this video if you want to sit through it:
Old 05-08-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4eyes View Post

I recently tried the B's Dry Fire Snap Caps found on Amazon. For handguns they only have 9mm at this time. Brass cartridge with a painted lead bullet. The primer area is a silicon rubber to absorb the firing pin impact. The work well and simulate the weight of the real deal.

For most of my dry firing practice I use a Laserlyte Cartridge, it acts as a snap cap as well as a laser to pinpoint impact and to show jerking of trigger. It wouldn't be used for malfunction drill practice, use snap caps for that.

You can also find action dummy rounds and add a silicon/rubber plug to the primer area.
The ones with a painted lead bullet that look/feel like a real bullet is asking for trouble. Also, in my experience with them, they had extreme setback after a few malfunction drills due to the weight of the bullet.

Oh, and the red paint left marks on my walls and carpet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealocan View Post
I tried the cheap orange plastic types too. The rims of the cartridges broke after only a few times. Sent them back and got a refund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
Another vote for the B's Dry Fire Snap Caps for centerfire.

I want my dry fire to be as accurate as possible, and that means dummy rounds that weigh about what real rounds weigh. With the A-Zoom that doesn't happen, and the weight differential is very noticeable, especially when you're doing reloads and driving the gun between targets.
Again, bad idea. There is a thread on here where a Calgunner had a live round mixed in with this type of snap cap. Just too easy to mix up IMHO. But, to each his own. Your mileage may vary. 4 out of 5 Calgunners etc...
Old 05-08-2016, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
Again, bad idea. There is a thread on here where a Calgunner had a live round mixed in with this type of snap cap. Just too easy to mix up IMHO. But, to each his own. Your mileage may vary. 4 out of 5 Calgunners etc...
I fill my mags with snap caps. I use dedicated dry fire magazines, and have put orange Tangodown baseplates on them. No live rounds are to go into my mags with orange baseplates.

44 Mag ammo for sale

Federal Premium Law Enforcement ammo for sale, 45 Auto/38 Special
Old 05-08-2016, 11:35 AM

you guys realize that snap caps are a disposable item right? They are maybe good for about ~1k cycles. They are not a once and done item.

STOP THE TUNNELS
Old 05-08-2016, 11:35 AM

Oh yeah. Here's the snap cap thread/negligent discharge thread. See post #31 if you want a graphic reminder. ***Warning...I did say GRAPHIC!!!*** http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...gent+discharge
Old 05-08-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
I fill my mags with snap caps. I use dedicated dry fire magazines, and have put orange Tangodown baseplates on them. No live rounds are to go into my mags with orange baseplates.
That is one way to do it. That's a lot of dough to dedicate to dry practice, especially for a new shooter. But, that would be ideal and an excellent idea.
Old 05-08-2016, 2:21 PM
1911 & AR-15 fan
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win231 View Post
I've been using them for several years. They're great.
^^^^^this
Old 05-08-2016, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Good stuff for pistols, rifles, and shotguns. I have had no issues with them at all.
GP100 6" stainless
Vepr x54r with 23" Barrel
12 gauge O/U with 32" or 34" barrels & removable Chokes

Need some AR500 targets? Free $10 credit.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/?...pBdnFlL0FxS3M9
Old 05-08-2016, 2:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

They (A Zoom) also make them in 7.62x25 but I had to call the company to get them, they weren't listed anywhere.
Old 05-08-2016, 2:58 PM

I love my A- Zooms. In my revolver, I did start a bad habit, because they fall out of the cylinder so freely, I unconsciously had not been hitting the ejector rod. I need to make some dummies with expanded necks on them.
Old 05-08-2016, 3:28 PM

Just ordered them appreciate all the comments especially dry fire link
Old 05-08-2016, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
A-Zooms aren't very good. They're made of aluminum and the rims will chip after excessive use.

ST Action Pro are better, and cost about $1 a round. You can find them on Amazon or their own website.

You don't need to use snap caps to dry fire modern firearms.

THIS! A ZOOM will fall apart after a while of real use. Neck will push back, rim will bust......St Action pro is the way to go.
Old 05-08-2016, 4:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

They work just fine.

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 05-08-2016, 4:23 PM

I'll give you my limited experience with them...
I've gone through 2 academies, and several classes including my last NRA law enforcement instructor class. I've never had one issue with them in terms of performance.. The 1 and only issue I have experienced was the color.. I been at several ranges across the country and its always a pain when you load them and practice malfunction drills.. Once you clear the drill and have to look on the ground for those dark snap caps you really wish they were a different color.. Buuuut,, I've had several class mates break the other florecent orange caps.. So I've just continued to use the same snap caps..
Old 05-08-2016, 4:26 PM

they work ALOT better than a live round.
Old 05-08-2016, 5:04 PM
Smite Me
CGN Contributor

Either dry fire with empty chamber or with RED snap cap color.

I would not use snap caps with aluminum, brass, or steel color for obvious reason that they look the same as live rounds when press check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-08-2016, 5:05 PM

I use them to test function on new builds before going to the range.....
Old 05-08-2016, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy joe View Post
I only wish they were brightly anodized
remove anodize and polish them.

I use them as well and they're holding up well.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:40 PM

Used to use the Tipton style red plastic with brass base but the spring gets weak and bends then later have had them separate. The A ZOOMS last longer but they will get chipped up from the extractor. Still an excellent product.
I also use them when training new shooters to see how much they flinch. Mix in one or two loading their magazine so they don't know where the dummy round is and let them fire away. See that pistol dive when they hit the dummy round! And some do very well and not flinch. Good training aid also.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cokebottle View Post

Practicing feeding, ejecting, and malfunction drills is exactly what I've always used them for.
Never had a problem with them in 9mm or .45.
agreed wize 1
Old 05-09-2016, 5:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think the Barrel Blok is the cat's meow for dry fire work.

"The message we뭨e sending is꿳ot here, not now, we뭨e prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer