Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 06-22-2016, 10:37 PM

Default Crimson Trace laser for G30?

Anyone use these? I was reading amazon and it looks like this would be really cool for HD, and to get my shot down.

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:41 PM

I'm also thinking of getting one for my kimber ultra cdp II. But they're so expensive I'm unsure it they're worth it. Especially if you're not doing competitive shooting.
Old 06-23-2016, 9:21 AM

Do you think a flash light for Home Defense would be better? Def would be cheaper.
Old 06-23-2016, 9:30 AM
Pew-pew Aficionado
CGN Contributor

I've had a laser sight (lasermax) on one of my CCW pistols for over 3 years, and in that time it has been used approximately 0 times after my first range day with it. A 5mW laser (the max allowed by US law) is simply too dim to be useful most of the time, indoors it's OK but I find that I'm not any more accurate or fast with it than I am with just iron sights. If anything, it promotes laziness so it might not be a great idea to use it for training. My opinion.

I'd rather have a flashlight. In fact, I'd rather have a handheld flashlight than a weapon light. Don't like the idea of having to point my pistol at someone's face in order to identify them.

11/23-11/28/2015: Never forget.
Old 06-23-2016, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

I like Crimson Trace grips but only when they're integrated into the grip (1911, M&P, Sig, revolver).

For Glocks and XDs I think they make the grip too bulky. For that reason, I prefer a TLR-2.
Old 06-23-2016, 9:40 AM

So it's basically not worth $200.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

If it doesn't negatively affect your grip on the gun, then by all means purchase it. Crimson Trace makes the best handgun lasers imo. I think they're definitely worth $200 but only if they fit your hands. For home defense, having a light is mandatory. Lasers are just icing on the cake. It also goes without saying that lasers are not a substitute for iron sights; they're supplementary.

Last edited by teflondog; 06-23-2016 at 10:57 AM..
Old 06-23-2016, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

If you are genuinely concerned about being better prepared for home defense, enroll in a defensive pistol class with that $200.

Then spend $130 on a shot timer and practice what you learned in that class with the timer.

Not only will you become a better shooter, but it's more fun. A laser is really, really low on the list of things to spend your money on to make you a better home defender.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:04 PM

Well I always see cops in the movies with the laser sites. And they always seem to take the down the bad buy! maybe i'll get a flash light instead. and go from there.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEnthusiast View Post
Well I always see cops in the movies with the laser sites. And they always seem to take the down the bad buy! maybe i'll get a flash light instead. and go from there.
And we all know how well movies mimic real life.
Old 06-23-2016, 1:22 PM
Veteran Member

I have lasers on some of my guns in case I have to shoot from positions that prevent me from looking down the slide. But from a speed standpoint, acquiring iron sights is a lot faster than searching for a laser dot on the target.
Old 06-23-2016, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
I have lasers on some of my guns in case I have to shoot from positions that prevent me from looking down the slide. But from a speed standpoint, acquiring iron sights is a lot faster than searching for a laser dot on the target.
This is my line of thinking also, although I was in the LGS yesterday and held a 340PD revolver with a crimson trace grip and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy the light was to deploy. Like I almost wanted to buy it...

YMMV tho.
Old 06-23-2016, 9:59 PM

I've used a crimson trace red laser on a Shield, and it is a lot less useful than I thought. It is so dim it's only truly useful indoors or less than a 10 ft range outdoors. Any longer range outdoors and I can't see the laser dot at all.

Also, a laser sight is only accurate at the calibrated range and seems to be less versatile than my iron sight which I find to be very accurate from 10 ft out to 50 ft or so.

I am keeping the Crimson trace though since it's pretty fun to shoot at the precise range that it was sighted for. Very precise shot placement - much more so than the iron sight. Finally it's a great training tool. It's pretty easy to see that I anticipated my shot by seeing the laser dot jumps just when I squeeze the trigger.

Last edited by sgk; 06-23-2016 at 10:02 PM..
Old 06-23-2016, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgk View Post
Very precise shot placement - much more so than the iron sight.
Sounds like you need to adjust your iron sights or get a new set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgk View Post
Finally it's a great training tool. It's pretty easy to see that I anticipated my shot by seeing the laser dot jumps just when I squeeze the trigger.
It's pretty easy to see I anticipated my shot by seeing the round not go where I aimed the pistol.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

What about the CT rail master? Anyone have one of those? Both light and laser.

"I'm damned glad to be here..." George Patton
Old 06-23-2016, 11:40 PM

which iron sights do u folks recommend? for a g30? can I obtain these on amazon?
Old 06-24-2016, 6:52 AM

So far no one has mentioned green lasers. I am red/green colorblind and the red lasers are often difficult for me to pick up, especially in daylight. While green lasers are often significantly more expensive, imho they are worth it. CT makes them as well as Veridian and Lasermax. There is a model from Armalaser too that automatically turns on when you hold the firearm based on skin touch only. The sensor is under the trigger guard and does not affect your grip.
Old 06-24-2016, 7:12 AM

If you have to point your pistol at a object or person to identify it with a light your light is horrible pos. In my modest 25x 25 ft family room I can point my Tlr 1 at the floor about 5 ft in front of me and light up the whole room. No need to point a firearm at anything or one other than the floor . As for Crimson Trace I have a set on my Glock 20 . I like it pretty useless in bright sun light but that's not what it's for . Inside a house with all the lights on in day time it's quite easy to see . In the dark or semi dark it is very easy to see .
Old 06-24-2016, 8:16 AM
Pew-pew Aficionado
CGN Contributor

Quote:
which iron sights do u folks recommend? for a g30? can I obtain these on amazon?
Amazon, or opticsplanet. Often when you buy sights through amazon, OpticsPlanet fulfills the order anyways. Sometimes amazon won't ship night sights to CA, nobody knows why, but sometimes it says that on the product page. Lots and lots of people really like the Trijicon night sights, here's a link: http://shop.opticsplanet.com/trijico...FYeUfgodKPQFYA. That's the kind I'll be buying whenever I get around to upgrading my sights.

11/23-11/28/2015: Never forget.
Old 06-24-2016, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Are you planning on installing the sights yourself with the proper tools? If not you may be better off buying them from someone who can install them for you. Most shops will put them on for free when you buy them from them, bring them in they charge you to do the work. Sights like most everything else are what works best for you, there is no this one is the best, just opinion on what works for each individual. That is not saying that there are some sight's that are junk and not worth the price of a postage stamp, but saying one sight is the best over any other quality sight is personal preference.

Last edited by P5Ret; 06-24-2016 at 8:28 AM..
Old 06-24-2016, 9:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ameriglo Hackathorn GL433. Pretty easy to install with the proper front sight screwdriver, and a brass punch for the rear sight. PM Jesse Tischauser here for a 10%off code for OpticsPlanet will make them $60.75 delivered.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
Sounds like you need to adjust your iron sights or get a new set.
True, however I feel that I need to become a better marksman first with what I have. I feel the Shield with its stock sight as-is is still much more accurate and capable than me.

Quote:
It's pretty easy to see I anticipated my shot by seeing the round not go where I aimed the pistol.
True, but when I see the laser dot jumped then the round not go where I aimed, I get a double confirmation that I am still a lousy marksman and cannot blame the Shield nor its stock sight for the bad shot