Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:55 AM

Default New G19 owner: couple questions

Got the G19 out of jail last night. I've been dry firing a lot getting used to the trigger and break, getting used to the sights (stock).

One thing I've noticed is that the slide release and mag release are both really hard to reach without changing my grip. I wear a medium glove (7) and the G19 seems to fit my hand perfect, I can get a full grip on it.

Is this normal? Or something only smaller handed guys experience?

So far, only dry fire, things seem quite nice. I'm looking forward to putting some rounds on paper/steel!

Are there any "must have" modifications I should start researching? I know lots of people change out the sights. I don't have any opinion on that yet as I've yet to use them, but I gather most who change them out do it before they have a problem... not after.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

That's a common issue with gen 3 glocks. Honestly I dont feel hat It's a big deal though
Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Teddy Roosevelt

Before you hate on Mormons, remember that John Moses Browning was born to the 2nd wife of a Mormon polygamist
Old 08-25-2016, 12:02 PM

Normal.

For must have mods, sights for sure. Depending on your intended use (range toy, home defense, etc.) other mods may be nice.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

The biggest thing about the sights are that the stock ones are junk plastic. It's a good idea to practice a lot with it first because if you end up liking the stock sight picture, you can replace the sights with metal ones.

Vicker's mag and slide catch are really popular due to the fact that they're in between the GLOCK extended versions. I personally went with his mag release only and it fits me perfect. I wear a size 9/10 glove however. The factory extended ones are dirt cheap and you can just custom file to your liking as well. Hope this helps any.

WTB cheap/used AK-Ultimak & MFER.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardlyworking View Post
Got the G19 out of jail last night. I've been dry firing a lot getting used to the trigger and break, getting used to the sights (stock).

One thing I've noticed is that the slide release and mag release are both really hard to reach without changing my grip. I wear a medium glove (7) and the G19 seems to fit my hand perfect, I can get a full grip on it.

So far, only dry fire, things seem quite nice. I'm looking forward to putting some rounds on paper/steel!

Are there any "must have" modifications I should start researching? I know lots of people change out the sights. I don't have any opinion on that yet as I've yet to use them, but I gather most who change them out do it before they have a problem... not after.
You'll probably want to change out the sights ASAP.. they're junk. Check out the Ameriglo I-Dots or the Ameriglo Hackathorns. I prefer the former but either would be a great choice.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Pick up my 19 tomorrow, just got 2 17's month ago. Houge Grips on All

Only thing I did thus far is get a 17 trigger for the 19
(I didn't like the ridges& pinch after 100 rounds)

On the 17 added Warn Tactical sights $80 and a NDZ guide rod. I did not "Need" any of those things, just $20 here and $20 there for Sh*7s n Giggles.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:19 PM

First, there's no need to buy anything yet other than ammo. If you can afford it, buy it by the case. From your post and lack of profile info, I suspect you're very new to shooting semi-auto handguns. I suggest 2,000 rounds, again, if you can afford it.

-Research extended slide-stops (not a slide lock). This will make reaching the slide stop easier to reach. You will probably later hear from the Nazis who preach only releasing the slide by racking it. Racking the slide is a good method to learn, but not the only one. It definitely doesn't work well when dropping the slide on a totally empty Glock.

-Research how some folks have problems with 10-round G19 mags. The usual cure is to obtain a follower from a 15-round mag and substituting out the #SP02183 follower. I don't know if folks are using the SP01812-6 or the SP01812-3 follower. Some mag trimming may be required, but don't do anything unless you find either your range or defense ammo is unreliable. Anyway, you'll be doing the research, from here.

-Sights. I'm one of the few who find the sights ok, other than durability. They can be easily damaged if banged or dropped. The rear can almost be pushed out of alignment by hand. I don't know you'll be particularly hard on this firearm, at least until a bit later.

-I prefer a G17 smooth-faced trigger, but there are several folks who aren't bothered by the stock, grooved/serrated/ribbed trigger.

Last edited by L-2; 08-25-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Old 08-25-2016, 12:27 PM

^^^

Good advice. OP, put at least 1000 rounds through that Glock before you change anything. Who knows, you may not even like it enough to keep it. Or you love it so much and want to improve it after noticing little quirks here and there.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:30 PM

Came in to say the same. Just buy ammo. Lots of it. I have changed out the sights on all my glocks, but you don't know what you want until you have some experience. Spend some time doing research while shooting with the stock setup.

Once glocks have some rounds through them (several hundred at least), they go from squeaky to smooth. It's my favorite part.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I find that having a beard, wraparound sunglasses, and burying my chin into my chest and raising my shoulders up to my ears in a comically tactical "high ready" position while I am holding the pistol makes me shoot better.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:46 PM

So funny to hear people say "Change out those junk sights ASAP!!!!"

Why? Whats if its a range toy? If the gun isn't for HD or carry, then the sights are fine. Plastic or metal... makes no difference. Thousands of rounds and I've never had a problem with the junk sights.

OP, I don't have the same problem you do but if I did, I would get the larger slide stop and extended mag release. That may solve the problem entirely or at the very least make a nice improvement.
Old 08-25-2016, 2:06 PM

I have both a gen4 G19 and gen4 G20 and have put 1000+ rounds down range with each. Both shoot great bone stock. Accurate and reliable - the two most important attributes of any firearm.

Some upgrades I am considering are better sights (for both) and a stronger spring for the G20 given that I shoot nuclear powered Underwood ammo.

That being said, I'm in no rush. Stock makes me and my wallet happy.
Old 08-25-2016, 2:09 PM

extended slide release is the first thing I got for my glocks. Then the sights. As far as the grip issue, i hunted down gen4's for my glocks because of the smaller grip. You can get a grip reduction done but I say for medium hands, take a feel for the off roster gen4's.
Old 08-25-2016, 2:24 PM

can't you just reverse the rear sight to get a better sigh picture?

Last edited by spartanlee; 08-25-2016 at 2:26 PM..
Old 08-25-2016, 5:05 PM

I have replaced the mag releases on all of my Glocks with the extended releases. While on vacation to free states this past summer where I could CC I discovered that the extended release protruded out too far and get pushed while I was CC. Once, when I bent over, the mag fell out.

I have to go back and replace the mag releases with the original ones for the guns I plan to use for CC. I will just have to practice dropping mags with the original release until I can do it proficiently.

I also learned the hard way, shoot 1,000 rounds or more before spending money on any mods or upgrades. You can easily waste a lot of money on useless junk for your Glock.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 08-25-2016, 6:47 PM

Love my Gen3 19, i estimate 5k rnds through it since i bought it about 7-8 years ago and never had any issues. I kept it all original up until about the 3k rnd point when i changed the trigger connector, i think i put a 3.5lb which helped my shooting. At about 4k rnds i finally changed the sights to Meprolight night sights. Personally i dont think it really needs anything else, just wish we could buy 15rnd mags for it .

The only thing is ive gotten so used to the trigger on the Glock i am a terrible shot with everything else now lol. My dad has a Sig 229R and the trigger on that thing breaks like glass, it would probably take me a few hundred rounds to get used to a hammer fired pistol again.
Old 08-25-2016, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDM4556 View Post
+1 on that. Unless your using your sights to pop beer bottles, they will probably last a life time. If you dont like the sight picture, thats a different story. But that doesnt make them junk.

Regarding the slide lock. I dont think the oem or vickers will change the reach much. Maybe a little bit. But they both do a great job at making it easier to press/release the slide due to more surface area for pressing down against. Hopefully that made sense.

I did a write-up once for the vickers on a glock 42. Terrible picture though. And the picture is upside down on my ipad.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=978764

Last edited by philc; 08-25-2016 at 7:23 PM..
Old 08-25-2016, 7:27 PM

I changed a ton of things on my G19 other than the mag release. I have large hands and while it even isn't great, its fine.

I changed the sights out, the slide release, put a new grip on the gun and a beavertail. Feels like a different gun for all the right reasons. Better (1911 style) grip angle, better sights, better grip and easier to release the slide. The mag release was considered but I never bothered and its a non issue.

I've been shooting a lot lately, even friends guns and nothing, even 3x more in cost feels and shoots as good as my G19. Its basically a near perfect gun, minus the stock sights.
Old 08-25-2016, 8:09 PM

spend your money on nothing but lead capped little brass containers full of gunpowder. And repeat.
Old 08-25-2016, 8:18 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:

Why? Whats if its a range toy? If the gun isn't for HD or carry, then the sights are fine. Plastic or metal... makes no difference. Thousands of rounds and I've never had a problem with the junk sights.
I don't think you understand the critical need to upgrade those sights immediately. When I infil from my Prius into my local climate controlled shoothouse, I can't risk having that junk sight go out of alignment while I am sipping a Latte' waiting for a lane to open.

Same thing when we do our "extreme marksmanship" drills outside the wire in the heart of BLMistan. If you think you would able to engage 14" steel plates at 15 yards with those junk sights, go ahead and try it pal. I personally like to push those plates out to rifle distances of 25 yards and I can still nick the edges of those plates better than 70% of the time.

I agree those factory sights are fine for the unwashed pedestrian amateur wannabes, but run with the operator / warrior class for a day and see for yourself that those stock sights are complete crap.
Old 08-25-2016, 8:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I don't think you understand the critical need to upgrade those sights immediately. When I infil from my Prius into my local climate controlled shoothouse, I can't risk having that junk sight go out of alignment while I am sipping a Latte' waiting for a lane to open.

Same thing when we do our "extreme marksmanship" drills outside the wire in the heart of BLMistan. If you think you would able to engage 14" steel plates at 15 yards with those junk sights, go ahead and try it pal. I personally like to push those plates out to rifle distances of 25 yards and I can still nick the edges of those plates better than 70% of the time.

I agree those factory sights are fine for the unwashed pedestrian amateur wannabes, but run with the operator / warrior class for a day and see for yourself that those stock sights are complete crap.

What did I just read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 08-25-2016, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post

You're such an operator man, I just pissed my camo underoos in a fit of jealousy.
if you ask a republican = that's a nice collection
if you ask the media = that's 20 dead kids waiting to happen
if you ask a Calgunner = that's a start
Old 08-25-2016, 8:36 PM

Don't listen to the consumerist shills telling you to buy extended this and thats and whatnots. The only thing you should change are the sights, when you find it necessary. The factory ones should suffice for now.

Regarding the magazine release. You aren't supposed to be able to press it from your normal firing grip. Read some book or watch some videos from competition shooters in Production class and you will see that see do not use extended mag releases, but do a "flip" maneuver to get to the mag release.

Regarding the slide lock lever, it will feel stiff but it loosens up considerably after a few dozen times. Also, it is extremely hard to press the slide lock down if you have an empty magazine in the gun. Because the follower is pushing up on the lever.
Old 08-25-2016, 8:47 PM

I own several Glocks and Nothing but the Sights Need to be Changed.
They are Excellent Shooters right out of the Box and Best Pistol for the Budget Minded.
Old 08-25-2016, 9:01 PM

Cheap sight fix. Use a permanent marker and blacken the rear sight. Instant upgrade.

The extended mag release is nice for the range but if you holster the weapon you may either snag or depress it depending on your carry hand and/or position.

Keep the trigger stock. With the exception of the 42-43 all glock triggers feel and break the same. This won't be your last glock, they're like Pringles.

I'd recommend stocking up on ammo and magazines over "upgrades".
Old 08-25-2016, 9:04 PM

Just go shoot the damn thing. If I were you, I'd spend the next $500 on nothing more than ammo! Hell, I don't even clean the damn thing after range time.

I did have an issue with hp ammo, bought the 9mm6 followers, did a little exact-knife work and the thing shoots everything I put in it.

Don't worry about anything but buying ammo, and shooting it!
Old 08-25-2016, 9:16 PM
Veteran Member

Shoot the snot outa it. Please don't buy a soldering iron.
Old 08-25-2016, 9:19 PM

While taking classes, I do find it difficult to tactical magazine swap with the G19. I have to let go of my grip and reach far with my thumb. The slide release is fine to me unless you have girlie hands. The ladies in my class also found it difficult. I don't mind it.
Old 08-25-2016, 9:22 PM

the sights are the only thing I would recommend to change out.
Old 08-25-2016, 9:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Are there any "must have" modifications ...
No such thing as a 'must have' mod.

Shoot the snot out of it then decide if there's something you want to try.

Otherwise, how else would you know if what you get is better than what you have until you know how to use what you have??

Re-read the posts about about extended controls and the potential problems some people have. Not everyone, maybe not you. But again, how would you know if it helps if you don't know how to use what you have?

Buy lot of ammo and range time. You'll figure it out.
Old 08-25-2016, 9:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

OP, I don't have the same problem you do but if I did, I would get the larger slide stop and extended mag release. That may solve the problem entirely or at the very least make a nice improvement.
I actually dropped my g34 (unloaded) as I was returning it to the safe and the front sight took a big dent on the corner making it not square.

I only have one gun that allows me to hit the mag release without breaking my grip ... My PPQ with small backstrap ... But I use the large backstrap!

Most people can't just use there thumb and press in the stock mag release.

As mentioned, you can just tack the slide to release it. Glock sells a replacement with a small ledge as well.

Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

There. Are. Four. Lights!
Old 08-25-2016, 10:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_ View Post
Check out the Ameriglo I-Dots or the Ameriglo Hackathorns. I prefer the former but either would be a great choice.
'grats on the purchase and welcome to the madness!

I'm partial to the "Hacks" myself across the board. I love the sight picture. The only minor nit that some hate is the fact the front sight is a little wide since it's a "combat" sight, which makes it a little more "challenging" if you are shooting out at 25 yards or farther.

But OP, as many have said... shoot the Glock... preferably 1000s of times before you change *anything*. Who knows, you could go full-snooty and end up with a custom 1911 in a matter of 10 days minimum!

Happy shooting!
Old 08-26-2016, 1:53 AM

Quote:

op-
I have a G19 myself, and I wear small/medium sized nitrile gloves.
I have the same issue with the mag and slide release.
I ordered some on ebay (extended) for about 8 dollars a piece. Makes quite a bit of difference and doesn't permanently impact the gun if you choose to sell it.

I would shoot it quite a bit to 'adjust' to the gun, (you can get 9mm for about 18-20 cents a round online)

If you find your 'grip' on the gun isn't 100% what you want... A lot of people do a 'trigger guard undercut' - it helps get a slightly higher grip (permanent modification)

Hope this helps! Happy shooting!
Old 08-26-2016, 3:28 AM

Everybody!

Thank you for the advice! Seriously, I've read it all, and will take the consensus (make no mods until I'm 1K+ rounds in) and plan on a sight picture upgrade if needed after using it in various lighting conditions.

I plan to add a light, and a quick opening safe.

From my research the Federal HST and original Speer Gold Dot are what I would like to keep in the magazines. But that is based on round performance, not how well it shoots out of 10 round factory mags. Do you guys have any problems with either of these?

For the reloaders: Would you buy any particular brand of bulk FMJs loaded rounds to start collecting brass and practice shooting? Does pistol brass matter as much as rifle brass?

Or just go with e.g. Starline brass and your favorite powder/bullet?

I do not have a progressive, and I'd like to not spend TOO much time stuck in the garage, I do have a Lee Turret, but not all the powder drop stuff yet.
Old 08-26-2016, 4:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I didn't see it mentioned here but you may want to change the extractor. I just picked up a G19 and have been experiencing the brass to the face problem that seems to be fairly common. I only have about 200 rounds through, but it seems to send at least 3-4 rounds out of each mag directly back (reloads, federal HST l, WWB, doesn't matter). It doesn't necessarily bother me (although it's annoying), but my wife refuses to shoot it for that reason.
Old 08-26-2016, 4:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Everybody!

Thank you for the advice! Seriously, I've read it all, and will take the consensus (make no mods until I'm 1K+ rounds in) and plan on a sight picture upgrade if needed after using it in various lighting conditions.

I plan to add a light, and a quick opening safe.

From my research the Federal HST and original Speer Gold Dot are what I would like to keep in the magazines. But that is based on round performance, not how well it shoots out of 10 round factory mags. Do you guys have any problems with either of these?

For the reloaders: Would you buy any particular brand of bulk FMJs loaded rounds to start collecting brass and practice shooting? Does pistol brass matter as much as rifle brass?

Or just go with e.g. Starline brass and your favorite powder/bullet?

I do not have a progressive, and I'd like to not spend TOO much time stuck in the garage, I do have a Lee Turret, but not all the powder drop stuff yet.

I have shot both 124 gold dots and 147 HST out of mine without hiccup.

If you reload, just pick up range brass or save the grass from the factory stuff you shoot. Glocks have loose chambers and will fire all but the most out of spec ammo.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:39 AM

147g HST is my chosen defensive load and functions perfect.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:48 AM

Congrats on the G19! If you're by LA, I have a sight tool you're welcome to use.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:53 AM

I just had to chime in...

I use a G19 w/ stock sites. You know running ground squirrels out to 30 yards do not agree with the junk assessment.

Enjoy your new handgun! You have one of my favorite handguns there.
Old 08-26-2016, 1:41 PM

This thread made me order an extended mag and slide release! I love my g19, first handgun I ever bought and it's had about 2k of zero problem rounds (besides the occasional brass to face)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk