Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-17-2006, 7:22 AM

Default Mosin Nagant M38 Sale at Big 5... $74.00

MOSIN NAGANT M38 RUSSIAN BOLT-ACTION RIFLE
Instant Rebate!

View Larger Image YOU PAY $74
(reg. $179.99)
thru Sep 23

Authentic Collectible Rifle!
7.62 x 54R CALIBER
Sale Price $84.00
In-store Rebate -$10.00

Now that is a great price...
What is this gun like to shoot?
Old 09-17-2006, 7:53 AM

Its rather clunky to shoot. Standard rough military trigger. If you are use to 1903 30-06 recoil - not much difference. If you are use to 223, well, your shoulder is gonna hurt.
Old 09-17-2006, 8:09 AM
Veteran Member

If anyone ends up with one of these, and doesnt like it or wants to sell it, lemme know. I dont wanna hassle with the DROS and all those fees one transfer. Id like to have a mosin, but Im a cheap sucker sometimes hahaha.
If you got one lemme know via PM.

Id love to trade my SKS and some wolf 762x39 for a mosin and some 762x54, or .308 or .223. LOL

I ant it ALLLLLL

J
Old 09-17-2006, 8:09 AM

Great deal if you don't have C&R FFL. Plus, you get to look over the firearm before committing to buy!

Recoil isn't that bad if you fit a good recoil pad to the buttstock. I use a MAS 36 recoil pad, and it greatly reduces the felt recoil.

Accuracy is only decent - my M91/30 shoots much better at longer range. I am not sure why this is, but my m91/59, which is about the same size as the M38, is also much more accurate.

The M38 is a nice little russian carbine that is great for plinking and fireball making, and since you can now get it for under $120 after CA tax and fees... Well, it is hard to beat such a deal.
Old 09-17-2006, 8:10 AM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Rough trigger? I've shot a few other Mosins and they seem to have the same trigger mine does. I think Mosin triggers are really good triggers, especially considering where/when/how they were made.

They're a blast to shoot. They've got tons of character, and for the price, they're actually a really good rifle. I need to get myself an M38 and/or M44. I love the fact you can usually see the muzzle flash in broad daylight. They're reasonably accurate, realiable as hell, and simple to clean and maintain. There are only two screws holding the thing together!

I love the design.

The recoil isn't all that bad, I'd call it "moderate", if you shoulder the rifle correctly, you shouldn't have any trouble with it. I have a 91/30 and have gotten used to shooting >100 per range trip (usually surplus ammo), and I'm not going home hurting.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 09-17-2006, 12:58 PM

This is a great, great price. If you can also use the 10% web coupon on the base price, you'll be home with the gun for less than $100 even with DROS and tax.

The M38 is a nice value. For a sub-$100 with cheap surplus ammo, you can't go too wrong. Plus stripping and cleaning is easy too. And I believe this M38 is one of the few guns that Big 5 carries that is not "good" condition. Mine was a Century (it seems like all Big 5 are now CAI) but was marked excellent (I think they all are). If you were interested, go to Big 5 and ask to see the one you'd be buying. And if that one looks beat, ask to see a different one. Most dept 1 clerks are pretty cool and will help you out (especially if the store is not busy).

As far as the gun, the recoil is pretty sizeable. It is a light gun with a pretty
large round so you'll get some kick. I bought a Beartooth recoil pad (saw referenced on surplusrife) but any recoil pad will do if you plan on shooting lots of rounds. If you're just shooting a box of 20, you'll be OK. My trigger is nice. Accuracy is so-so. I'll need to shoot it more to get the hang of the iron sights. My only other issue is the bolt action is pretty clunky-- definitely not a Mauser or Enfield-- and seemed to get stiffer as the gun heated up.
Old 09-17-2006, 1:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Hmm. My bolt seems to have smoothed out a lot, but the short handle on it can make it a bit tougher to move if it does get stiff.

I've found that spraying a light oil on the back where the striker is pushed back by the bolt body then wiping the excess off helps a hell of a lot. Also, make sure your firing pin protrusion hasn't changed. A friend of mine took his bolt apart to clean it (you should never have to take the firing pin out....) and messed the protrusion up. I had to help him figure out how to make the bolt open smoothly again. :P

Clean the chamber out well, too. Sometimes it's crap in the chamber that's holding you up.

The only Mausers I've shot are Yugos, so I don't know if they count, but my 91/30 has definitely got a smoother bolt than they did.

Old 09-17-2006, 1:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Just went to my local Big 5 today and bought one. 104 bucks out the door. Not bad if I say so myself and the rifle wasn't bad either. Looked like it had never been used in combat or anything (well maybe for a few nicks and dings here and there.)

I will vote for a donkey-sex maniac if he's pro-gun.
-BWiese
Old 09-17-2006, 3:56 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliegone
Just went to my local Big 5 today and bought one. 104 bucks out the door. Not bad if I say so myself and the rifle wasn't bad either. Looked like it had never been used in combat or anything (well maybe for a few nicks and dings here and there.)
The odds are that most M38's weren't used in combat. They were intended for issue to soldiers whose jobs didn't take them to the front lines, but near enough they MAY need a rifle. Think of it as a WWII Soviet PDW.

They were also apparently a fave of NKVD "blocking" units... but those had special markings.

Congrats on joining the Mosin Cult.

Old 09-17-2006, 7:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

For the M44 carbines, what needs to be done to mount a scope? Any drilling?

I gather a bolt handle change needs to be made - is this a replaceable part, or does it require 'smithing??

Love to hear from RKIs...

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-17-2006, 8:07 PM
Moderator Emeritus

You can either drill and tap for an over-the-reciever scope mount. You'll have to cut off the bolt handle and drill and tap for a bent handle (included).

Over-reciever mount:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=705908

Orrr....

You can get a "no-bubba" "scout" mount. You take the rear sight off, install the scout mount where it used to be, then put a long eye relief scope (pistol scope) where it used to live.

Scout scope mount:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=162369

Third option would be to get a 91/30 sniper style base, etc. That'd require a cutout on the stock next to the reciever, plus drill and tap. Oh, and modification of the bolt handle again.

My money's on the scout mount. No drilling, no tapping (no smithing at all!!!! Though, getting it into the slot previously held by the rear sight can be a PITA. That rear sight retaining spring is strong enough for a 1-ton truck's rear leaf pack!), 100% reversable. You don't even take the rear sight base off, by the look of it...

You can also upgrade to a diopter sight, if you want to... I have a Mojo on my 91/30, and love it.

Last edited by M. Sage; 09-17-2006 at 8:10 PM..
Old 09-17-2006, 9:24 PM
Moderator Emeritus

The B-Square doesn't have a good reputation, the Mosin guys generally prefer a Darrell's Mount. (see this) I've got one of these on an M44 and another waiting to be mounted on a 91/30 if I ever get to it.

John
Old 09-17-2006, 9:44 PM
Calguns Addict

The best M38 deal was back when Aztec International still sold them. I paid $60 each for a pair plus $15 shipping.

Yes, the Darrell mount is excellent. I had one on one of my M38s. Put my Aimpoint Comp ML2 on it and it was shooting amazingly well at 50 and 100 yards with test handloads.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 09-18-2006, 12:36 PM

well, I joined the cult. It took about an hour and a half to finish everything because the manager kept getting called away to help everyone else, but he was nice enough (even without my asking) to pull every M38 out of the lockup, open the boxes, and let me inspect them. He was even enjoying checking them out with me. He found a bore light for us to use, too.

There were a few nice rifles, and I ended up getting two of them to help offset the 25 bucks to the state. All told it was $92.50 per rifle, out the door!

My expectations:
Cost under $150 bucks. (check)
Cheap to shoot. (looks like about 8c per shot. I can handle that)
Reliable.
Not too picky re: ammo or cleaning.
Will hit a pie plate at 50 yards.
Will produce a nice fireball and a sore shoulder (most of my rifles are 22's or 223's)

if it will do all that, I'll consider it money well spent
Old 09-18-2006, 3:03 PM

just courious does your local big5 make you show proof of residentcy on long guns ?
Old 09-18-2006, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoblack
just courious does your local big5 make you show proof of residentcy on long guns ?
You have to show a driver's license... Does that count as proof of residence?
Old 09-18-2006, 4:35 PM

Just DROS'ed mine today. Had one on lay-away, but the ones on the rack looked better, very clean, good rifling, great stock. $104.00 out the door. I'll see my new M38 on the 28th... Where is a good place to buy ammo for it, I do not reload as of yet?
Old 09-18-2006, 5:29 PM
Moderator Emeritus

I wasn't reccomending the B-Square in particular, I was just using it as an example. As always, YMMV. Shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guimus
My expectations:
Cost under $150 bucks. (check)
Cheap to shoot. (looks like about 8c per shot. I can handle that)
Reliable.
Will hit a pie plate at 50 yards.
Will produce a nice fireball and a sore shoulder (most of my rifles are 22's or 223's)

if it will do all that, I'll consider it money well spent
With some practice, you should be able to pretty much stack the holes in a pie plate at 50 yards.

Just remember to patch with water, dry, then patch oil at the range after you shoot surplus.

Old 09-18-2006, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by footdoc
You have to show a driver's license... Does that count as proof of residence?
when i bought my m44 & k31 at big 5 thay made me show my pg&e bill and driver's license.and i showed them that 2 hours earlier i bought 4 guns from a different gun shop.they said that it was their policy which i thought was BS is it?????
Old 09-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp.cherokee
Just DROS'ed mine today. Had one on lay-away, but the ones on the rack looked better, very clean, good rifling, great stock. $104.00 out the door. I'll see my new M38 on the 28th... Where is a good place to buy ammo for it, I do not reload as of yet?
My uncle said don't buy ammo from big 5, its wayyyy too expensive (about 20 bucks per box of 20 for 7.62x54.) He said better to go to your local turners or search online for a better deal.

Didn't show anything other than my driver license. They are a bit more picky about the filling out of the DROS form..you know like put N/A where you don't need it...but other than that...the manager was pretty cool about it.

-BWiese

Last edited by Charliegone; 09-18-2006 at 10:05 PM..
Old 09-19-2006, 4:57 PM
Moderator Emeritus

The Big 5 near my only has that Winchester Metric stuff. It wasn't too bad, but was way too pricey for what you get!

Hunt down some surplus ammo. Ordering online works just fine. Surplus is about ten cents/round when it's all said and done... hard to beat.

Just make sure your range allows it. Some (ok - a lot; most light ball, IE: 150ish grain) is steel-cored, most is at least steel jacketed (even some of the commercial soft-point!).

See this page for details. It's not all-inclusive, but it's got most of what you'll find:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm

Old 09-19-2006, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPglee1
If anyone ends up with one of these, and doesnt like it or wants to sell it, lemme know. I dont wanna hassle with the DROS and all those fees one transfer. Id like to have a mosin, but Im a cheap sucker sometimes hahaha.

Id love to trade my SKS and some wolf 762x39 for a mosin and some 762x54, or .308 or .223. LOL

I ant it ALLLLLL

J
I sent you a private message about selling my Mosin.

Kimber Tactical Custom II
Browning Semi-Auto .22 Rifle
Benelli Supernova
Old 09-20-2006, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPglee1

I ant it ALLLLLL

J
I sent you a PM about your SKS....
Old 09-20-2006, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

Just bought 200rds of 7.62X54 for 2 bucks each box of 20rds.

-BWiese
Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

w00t.. I just DROS'd one up today. I was gonna buy another Yugo SKS (Turners has them for 150 bucks!).. but I saw the big 5 ad and decided to get something different.

The one that I got looks to be in almost pristine condition. The stock is shiny with minimal stratches. The sights and everything are in perfect condition. The bolt is shiny as chrome.

104 bucks out the door... I cant wait to pick it up and try it out.
Old 09-21-2006, 5:00 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliegone
Just bought 200rds of 7.62X54 for 2 bucks each box of 20rds.
Nice! What kind of ammo is it, and where can I get it?

You can never have enough sitting around. Never.

Old 09-24-2006, 6:50 PM

My Big 5 has three left, all very nice on the outside, matching numbers, but the bores are real dark. Is that the way they all come?
Old 09-24-2006, 8:29 PM

Most of the Mosin's will have a really dark bore due to the cosmoline. Take some time cleaning it and you can get them looking almost brand new. My M44 shoots very nicely for the price I paid for it from Big5. Not to mention it gets lots of looks.
Old 10-01-2006, 4:22 PM
Veteran Member

Default Back from Big 5...

Just picked up my $74 Mosin.. Some Pics.
It came with the Sling and stuff.

Old 10-01-2006, 4:39 PM
Veteran Member

This is a really nice rifle. The bolt action feels nice and smooth. Completely satisfied with this purchase. I am suprised at how light it is. It feels to be roughly the weight of a M-16. I cant wait to shoot it. I hear the recoil on these things is punishing.
Old 10-01-2006, 4:54 PM

I wanted to pick one up when it was on sale. But im a lefty.. and these bolt action rifles just dont jive with us south paws. Well thats not all true.. its just a slight hastle for me

**** Insert Disclaimer here for any past, present, and future posts. Dont get butt hurt, offended, or complain about an innocent mistake, information that is not 100% accurate, or sillyness mistaken for anything other that that ****
Old 10-01-2006, 6:39 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS
This is a really nice rifle. The bolt action feels nice and smooth. Completely satisfied with this purchase. I am suprised at how light it is. It feels to be roughly the weight of a M-16. I cant wait to shoot it. I hear the recoil on these things is punishing.
The recoil isn't that bad, as long as you're holding the rifle PERFECTLY. You have to have it deep into your shoulder, pull it in toward your pec a bit. Make sure ALL of the butt is contacting your shoulder. I've seen people shoot mine with a half inch or so of butt above their shoulder, they say "ow!" and then I tell them the right way and get a "oh, that's better."

@ Nefarious: I shoot my 91/30 left-handed sometimes, it's fun.

Lefty shooting 'em isn't terrible. I think the short bolt handle actually makes it a bit easier to work left-handed. A longer, bent handle might not be so easy.

Old 10-01-2006, 7:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guimus
My expectations:
First use a patch soaked with Windex (or glass cleaner with Ammonia, but not straight ammonia), Sweet's 7.62, or Hoppe's Benchrest after shooting to get rid of the corrosive residue, then clean as you would a normal barrel.
Old 10-01-2006, 7:47 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe
First use a patch soaked with Windex (or glass cleaner with Ammonia, but not straight ammonia), Sweet's 7.62, or Hoppe's Benchrest after shooting to get rid of the corrosive residue, then clean as you would a normal barrel.
Patch fairly clean with water, then clean as normal works fine. The corrosive bit is salt, potassium chloride, from what I understand. Dissolve the salts with water, then clean as usual and you're fine. Just don't wait too long before you do it. I run patches soaked in water, then dry, then put Hoppes solvent in before the trip home. Then just finish the clean at home.

I've heard pouring hot, soapy water down the barrel works well, too, but haven't tried it.

Old 10-01-2006, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Yea...these things give the meat around your shoulder a good workout. Keep it solidly planted as has been suggested.

Also, If you haven't already, think about a good action cleaning before firing it - that last pic shows a bit of cosmo/grease left on the bolt area. You'll get the real feel for the action when that grease is gone.
Old 10-01-2006, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester
My Big 5 has three left, all very nice on the outside, matching numbers, but the bores are real dark. Is that the way they all come?
A dark bore seems pretty typical with these but all I've bought clean up nicely. I make a go/no-go decision with a short rod and a wet patch pushed down the bore. Look at the residue on the patch and then check the bore with a light. I realize some people and/or stores are uncomfortable with this but it can be done if you're cool about it, ask nicely, do it when they aren't real busy.

I've posted before about the value you build from being a regular at a single store. Even if you don't purchase it pays to show up and establish a relationship with the counter guy/manager. I tyry to buy all my sports stuff through the same person or at least make sure that person sees me buying stuff. That way they'll be more inclined to cut you some slack and/or call around and check other stores when you do need a good product. It's amazing how all the staff know each other at different stores and will go out of their way for certain people. I've had really good experiences with Big 5 and think they are great for certain types of items - not just firearms.
Old 10-01-2006, 9:40 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsurplover
Also, If you haven't already, think about a good action cleaning before firing it - that last pic shows a bit of cosmo/grease left on the bolt area. You'll get the real feel for the action when that grease is gone.
+1. Give the whole gun a good cleaning, get some of the crud out of the bore, etc.

I like to take the bolt face off and hose the bolt parts down with RemLube or something similar (Zepreserve works, NOT WD40, too sticky) and then dry 'em with a paper shop rag before I put it back together. Makes a pretty big difference on the way the action feels.

Old 10-04-2006, 8:44 AM

Default How Do I Load This Thing???????????????

I Just "also" bought 200rds of 7.62X54 for 2 bucks each box of 20rds. Question: I am new to this firearm "M38 Mosin Nagant" I will shortly have 200 rounds of shoulder breaking fun , How do I load the darn thing? From the top? From the bottom? Do I "need" the stripper clips?
Thanks,
Old 10-04-2006, 9:20 AM

Pull the bolt back and load from the top one by one or with stripper clips. I recommend the clips since they're a lot faster for reload.

Kimber Tactical Custom II
Browning Semi-Auto .22 Rifle
Benelli Supernova
Old 10-04-2006, 4:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatKatMatt
Pull the bolt back and load from the top one by one or with stripper clips. I recommend the clips since they're a lot faster for reload.
+1, much faster. If you want to know where to get good clips, and/or how to load the clips up or offload into your rifle from 'em, drop me a PM.