Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 09-13-2006, 2:32 PM

Default M1 Carbine... Price check and USGI or not?

I am a newbie when it comes to M1 Carbine. What is the going price for a USGI M1 Carbine? Are the M1 Carbine legal in CA? Where can I find one?
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2006, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by footdoc
I am a newbie when it comes to M1 Carbine. What is the going price for a USGI M1 Carbine? Are the M1 Carbine legal in CA? Where can I find one?
Thanks.
I'm pretty sure they're legal in CA. I see them at gun shows all the time.
They dont normally have the prices on the tags, but the few times I've seen prices on them they were around $500-$600
Old 09-13-2006, 3:10 PM

Quote:
I am a newbie when it comes to M1 Carbine. What is the going price for a USGI M1 Carbine?
around $500 and up like Elandur said.

Quote:
Are the M1 Carbine legal in CA?
Thanks.
Yes, but the 15 round standard issue USGI magazine is not

Quote:
Where can I find one?
Thanks.
hmmm... local gun shops? There are a ton on gunbroker too.
Old 09-13-2006, 3:31 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The price range is huge.

There are Sears knock-off and on the other ned there are USGI that have seen combat.

The USGI collectors can bring in over $2000, it just depends on what your looking for....and most guys are looking for a very good to ex. shooter which is very hard to find.

You can get something nice for $800-1000 and you wont look back thinking you did wrong and your kids will be happy when they get it in 20 years or so.

Of course it will be worth alot more in 20 years.

If you find one you want I can have my buddy look up the number for you and tell you what it should have.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 09-13-2006, 4:48 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Completely legal in CA, except the proper mag, which someone else noted.

There is one version of the M1 Carbine that isn't CA-legal, though. The M1A1 Carbine; it's a folding-stock paratroop model. Since it's got a wire side-folding stock, they had to put a pistol grip on the wood. Just thought I'd point that out. :P

Man, but I want one... Maybe when I get reintroduced to living in a free state, I'll get an A1 stock for my Carbine.

There is/was also the M2 Carbine, which was an M1 Carbine, but with select fire. Obviously illegal here, but not an M1 anyway.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 09-13-2006, 5:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I've bought 3 or 4 USGI carbines in the past year in the 500 range. And some that are more. They are Import Marked, but it doesn't bother me. Each functions 100% and each will appreciate over time. USGI carbines, like USGI Garands, will never get any cheaper.

As mentioned above there is enormous range in the price of USGI carbines. I bought one Inland for 460. Unless you find a screaming deal that's pretty much a low end. And on the high end you can spend several thousand. The difference in price doesn't have a great deal to do with the functional ability of the gun to perform whatever mission you assign it. The difference has more to do with whether or not the carbine is import marked, how 'correct' (as it would have come from the manufacturer it is), and of course the rarity of the maker.

If you want a carbine to shoot, enjoy, and still have a piece of history then buy one in the 500-600 range. If you have $$$ and want a serious collector's piece you can go as high as you like.

I would avoid all commercial carbines. Auto-Ordnance manufacters one presently. And I've read mixed reviews (seems they have some issues early and may have worked them out). They're in the 500 range. So why buy a commercial clone when you can have the real thing? Just holding something that fought in WWII is a neat thing. And even the rattiest USGI carbine is better made than a commerical one.

Aside from Auto Ordnance there are a number of commercial makes from years past: Universal, Plainfield, and some others. Some of these are USGI parts compatible and some aren't. Unless you really know what you're looking at I'd avoid these. And even for a good one I wouldn't pay over 350. And even then I'd just save another 150 or so and buy a beater USGI one.

M1 carbines rule.