Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Exclamation Panoche Alert / Warning - NEED YOUR HELP!

Folks,

Bottom line - I NEED YOUR HELP to keep Panoche clean. I need some volunteers who can go out there in late October to do a volunteer clean up day and get some of the trash and other stuff out of Panoche.

Here's the background on this request.

I was planning a Panoche trip in the near future, and called to see when they are going to open the gate - no one replied to my posting in the other thread about Panoche, so I decided to do the groundwork myself.

I ended up speaking to a guy named Bruce Cotteral, he's been out there in the area since 1979, but over the years he's seen a gradual increase in the amount of traffic and trash that has built up at Panoche. It's getting so bad recently, that they are starting to think that maybe it should be shut down.

SHUT DOWN?!?

He gave me the name and phone number of a woman who is the current director of recreation for the Panoche Hills area.

Leslie Smith, lsmith@ca.blm.gov, (831) 630-5015.

She is responsible for planning all recreational activities in the area and sends all target shooting requests over to the Panoche Hills area. In speaking to her, she confirmed that the trash is a growing problem for Panoche (although she admitted that it probably isn't just the target shooters causing the problem - there are other people such as hunters, hikers, and campers who go there).

I asked if there is anything I can do to volunteer to do a clean up, and she told me that she is thinking of organizing a clean up day on or around October 28th.

I signed up for this!

I also told her that I am aware of a group of target shooters (I didn't name Calguns, but that's who I was thinking about) who would be very interested in going over at the same time to volunteer a clean up. I mentioned that there is a large group of casual shooters who are VERY interested in ensuring that this area stays open for our activities, and that we are very interested in pulling together to help keep the area clean.

She mentioned that in the future, they are thinking of adding facilities - a restroom and campgrounds for people to use. This would be awesome!

Please call her or e-mail her and ask to be added to her list of volunteers. They need people who can go out there and help keep the area clean. As a group of responsible shooters, I am confident that we can band together and do our part! Let's not lose another spot to closure!

Turby
Old 09-13-2006, 12:08 PM

Wow great timing on my part! I asked for the weekend of the 28-29th off to go on a camping/shooting trip. Guess ill turn it into a cleaning/camping/shooting trip.

Count me in.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:58 PM

I can sign up to clean!
Who's gonna haul off the stuff?
Old 09-13-2006, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Panoche is spanish for.........
Old 09-13-2006, 1:15 PM

I haven't even been to Panoche yet, but this is something I'd actually volunteer to do... especially if it means keeping a place open to shoot.

The only thing is... I'd need to request that particular Saturday off from work. I'll xx my fingers! It's a good cause.
Old 09-13-2006, 2:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel1316
I can sign up to clean!
Who's gonna haul off the stuff?
It sounded like the BLM was going to rent a dumpster or at least use BLM pickup trucks to haul away the trash. They need volunteers to actually do the dirty work of picking up the garbage.

You all can sign up directly with the BLM - the contact name, e-mail address, and phone # above is your ticket to Karma points.

Not only does this earn you a coveted spot in the big range in the sky, but you also get to keep your spot here on earth too.

If you have gone to, or plan to go to Panoche, please consider signing up with the BLM and make this part of your "TO DO" list for 2006.

Thanks,
Turby
Old 09-13-2006, 6:48 PM

I actually never been there but was planning on making this one of my new shooting places. I will be there for sure. I just left her a voice message. Well see what happens.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:31 PM

this should be able to haul out a good deal

if my two friends that plan to come along make it, ill have them haul out trash also. also if this turns out into an official cleanup i can ask a few guys from my offroad club to come with.

Last edited by ElBandito; 09-13-2006 at 10:34 PM..
Old 09-14-2006, 9:55 AM
Super Moderator

Guys,

Thanks for the responses so far - and yes, I think that truck can definitely haul out some stuff!

We need to get more people involved, the response rate on Calguns has been pretty low so far. Would some of you kindly ping some other Calguns members who you know have gone to and use Panoche? We need to get as much visibility on this out to the shooting community, because we can't afford to lose another spot.

Turby
Old 09-14-2006, 12:12 PM

How bad is it? Is is LARGE pieces of junk? or small bits of trash? do we need semi-light lifting equipment? or trash bags and garbage spikes for picking up said trash? Rakes & shovels? Or do we just need to supply the bodies?? I suppose I or we should be asking Leslie that?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:51 PM

I just talked to her. She mentioned that they had a couple pickup trucks and a dumpster. So I think most likely we will just need man power. I will bring a box of large heavy duty garbage bags and a rake just for the hell of it. I am sure the gent who started this thread will have more details. After we are done we will have to have some range time..LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by icormba
How bad is it? Is is LARGE pieces of junk? or small bits of trash? do we need semi-light lifting equipment? or trash bags and garbage spikes for picking up said trash? Rakes & shovels? Or do we just need to supply the bodies?? I suppose I or we should be asking Leslie that?
Old 09-14-2006, 2:07 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, I don't have more details, but the best bet is to call Leslie, state that you are interested in volunteering, and get signed up. She can tell you more than I can.

Quote:
I just talked to her. She mentioned that they had a couple pickup trucks and a dumpster. So I think most likely we will just need man power. I will bring a box of large heavy duty garbage bags and a rake just for the hell of it. I am sure the gent who started this thread will have more details. After we are done we will have to have some range time..LOL
Thanks for calling her! And yeah, range time afterwards sounds great

Turby
Old 09-14-2006, 3:28 PM
Veteran Member

I'll be in Arizona at that time , so I won't be able to attend, but I try to do my share (or more) each time I go out there.

Last time I was out there was the week before they closed for summer. The big trash pile that is off on the left after the 3rd (think it's the 3rd) gate was in bad shape. A lot of small broken glass and metal, not too many large pieces. I had a friend with me and we had brought a couple shovels and some bags. I think we pulled out five 33 gallon bags of garbage from that area.

I usually don't go up to that area, as there's usually someone there already and I like to leave them alone. In the four previous trips up I always ran into alot of beer bottles and other camping trash.

There's alot of sharp stuff there, so I'd recommend bringing a shovel, bags, gloves and some water/bandages/iodine/bactine/etc, just in case.
Old 09-15-2006, 7:36 AM

I'm in.. unless I get the new job abd have to work weekends.

I always bring back more than I take
Old 09-15-2006, 11:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Just a note, you could probably use this on your taxes as community service and get a possible tax break, its a little too far for me.
The volume of blood necessary to achieve erection would cause you to either pass out or if you didn't and managed to maintain an erection you would likely die from lack of oxygen to the heart and brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
Just be glad you are not his next door neighbor. I am sure there are "good tunes" flowing out the window. I am imagining a cop car pulling up at 1:30 AM asking "Are you having a party?" and Bundo sayin "Nope just me and the BG's"
Old 09-15-2006, 4:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryCoolCat
Just a note, you could probably use this on your taxes as community service and get a possible tax break, its a little too far for me.
Hah hah! That's a great idea, community service and range time, all at once..

Turby
Old 09-17-2006, 12:46 AM
Super Moderator

Ok guys, I just got back from a trip to Panoche today. As expected, the gates are locked - only 2 gates are open, the first one at the front, and the 2nd gate that leads into the 1st shooting area.

We packed out 2 full bags of trash from the area today.

We couldn't pick up the bigger bits - someone had shot a TV, a punching bag, and some chairs out there. We didn't have room to take all of that trash out of there. However, when we left, it was noticably cleaner. Still not perfect, but better for sure.

Please pass the word on to anyone that you know of who uses Panoche, we need to keep it clean as best as possible. Preaching to the choir, I'm sure, but I need to make sure we spread the word far and wide.

Thanks-
Turby
Old 09-17-2006, 9:42 AM

I wonder if they would post a sign.. clean up your trash or Panoche Hills will be closed.
Old 09-17-2006, 9:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac
I wonder if they would post a sign.. clean up your trash or Panoche Hills will be closed.
They could, but it would need to be visible from the shooting areas. I have only stopped to look at the front gate once, and even then, I missed the cleanup sign up sheet that Leslie said is located there.

I'm surprised more people on this board aren't interested in cleaning up?

Turby
Old 09-18-2006, 12:12 PM

Ya, I thought allot of people would be interested in this also. I will hardly ever get to go there but I want the place to be open for when I do decide to go. For me I think its like a 2.5 hour drive.I will be coming from Fremont. I plan on doing the cleanup. Then cook some lunch up then do some target shooting.Is there anyone else from the Fremont Bay area that going. Maybe I could follow you there.
Maybe this needs to be in the general forum also,,????

binator]They could, but it would need to be visible from the shooting areas. I have only stopped to look at the front gate once, and even then, I missed the cleanup sign up sheet that Leslie said is located there.

I'm surprised more people on this board aren't interested in cleaning up?

Turby[/QUOTE]

Last edited by the_lynch_family; 09-18-2006 at 12:22 PM..
Old 09-18-2006, 1:01 PM

If I'm not working, I'm going. We can run those nasty old 1919's there

I'll be taking my big truck so the gas will cost me about 200 bucks, but it is worth it. I've cleaned up so much junk there already.

Anyone remeber the comercial in the 70's with the native american indian that had a tear roll down his face looking at all the trash. Thats kinda how some spots at panoche hills make me feel. I've been there for the spring bloom and the place is FANTASTIC. Too bad there are so many a-holes that dont care about taking care of the land.
Old 09-18-2006, 2:38 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, you two, you seem to be the only two reading this thread

Quote:
Ya, I thought allot of people would be interested in this also. I will hardly ever get to go there but I want the place to be open for when I do decide to go. For me I think its like a 2.5 hour drive.I will be coming from Fremont. I plan on doing the cleanup. Then cook some lunch up then do some target shooting.Is there anyone else from the Fremont Bay area that going. Maybe I could follow you there.
Maybe this needs to be in the general forum also,,????
That would be nice if we could sticky this so that all future Panoche go'ers will be reminded that they should take out more trash than they bring in. If we all did this, we could at least help keep the balance of trashiness to cleanliness in check.

Yes, for you it would be about a 2.5 hour drive. I'm in San Jose, and it's just about a 2 hour drive for me.

Quote:

I'll be taking my big truck so the gas will cost me about 200 bucks, but it is worth it. I've cleaned up so much junk there already.
$200 is a lot for you to get down there, but your dedication and concern is clear if you are willing to spend that much to help out. Thank you!

Turby
Old 09-18-2006, 7:58 PM

I mostly just lurk here, but I've been following this thread also. I know that I have to work that Saturday. I've never been to Panoche but I'd like to be able to go in the future, so that trash pisses me off. I'm also in Fremont, very close to Big Mac(Irvington Arms, right?). How about some directions to the area? Specific, as I know it's down I-5. Guys like me usually take extra bags and haul out what we can. I'm only responding because Turbinator didn't think many cared. We do, just can't help that day. And Big Mac, no wonder you need a second job...$200 to drive to Panoche?!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 7:54 AM

I'll fill up at leats two time to get there and back. Costs just under a hundred bucks to fill the tank.

I need a job because the gunshop cant support me, has nothing to do with my truck.

I was one of the people that spead the word about shooting at panoche. Some days I whish I hadn't.
Old 09-19-2006, 8:12 AM

I wonder if the culprits even belong to Calguns?
I saw furniture (desk, cabinets) that were hauled up there and shot? WTF?!?
I use bowling pins, metal (reusable targets) and items that are bio degradable. Non biodegradable (food items) come home with me...
Old 09-19-2006, 3:42 PM

Yo Bigmac,
If you like you are welcome to ride up with me so you dont have to spend the funds on all the gas. I get like 300 miles to the tank on my cherokee.LOL ..If we put down my back seats we could probably fit your cannon back there depending on how wide it is, But I know how it is wanting to take your own ride but the offers there if needed.

Quote:

Anyone remeber the comercial in the 70's with the native american indian that had a tear roll down his face looking at all the trash. Thats kinda how some spots at panoche hills make me feel. I've been there for the spring bloom and the place is FANTASTIC. Too bad there are so many a-holes that dont care about taking care of the land.
Old 09-19-2006, 4:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I need a job because the gunshop cant support me, has nothing to do with my truck.
Can you work in high tech? Maybe you'd be interested in doing Inside Sales - account management?

Turby
Old 09-19-2006, 8:32 PM

Im a line maintenance facility maintenance hazmat kinda guy.

I like working with my hands. That wearing a tie stuff isn't for me. (done it and hated every minute)
Old 09-20-2006, 10:02 PM

Last edited by the_lynch_family; 09-21-2006 at 9:14 AM..
Old 09-21-2006, 8:00 AM
Super Moderator

Please go ahead and post it where you feel responsible shooters will see it and take positive action.

I don't want people who are the litterbugs seeing this, and saying, "OH wow, another spot for us to go trash up!" And then they take off to Panoche and ruin it for everyone else.

Use your judgement, I trust you will do right!

Turby
Old 09-21-2006, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator
I don't want people who are the litterbugs seeing this, and saying, "OH wow, another spot for us to go trash up!" And then they take off to Panoche and ruin it for everyone else.
Turby
+1
Truthfully, would hate to see Panoche get too popular
Old 09-21-2006, 9:17 AM

Hell Guys,
This has been posted on a public board here. Of course you may get a few of those types. They are everywhere. I even see them at the gun club I belong to. Nothing you can do about it but try to clean up after them when you are out there.I do this all the time. Since you guys are worried I will not be posting or trying to get anyone else to go in fear of being the guy who told the litterbugs.LOL I was just offering to get more man power since it only looks like three or four people have confirmed with Lesly that they will be there.
Brian

Turby

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel1316
+1
Truthfully, would hate to see Panoche get too popular

Last edited by the_lynch_family; 09-21-2006 at 10:06 AM..
Old 10-03-2006, 3:03 PM
Super Moderator

Bumping this up so that people don't forget to help volunteer out to clean up Panoche.

Turby
Old 10-04-2006, 7:52 AM

I have this on my calander and flyers on the counter at the shop.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:36 AM

Hi guys,
What sort of targets do you shoot out in the open range. I am in the process of making a stand for a 15" armor plate gong. I wish I knew someone that welded. I am trying to make it simple enough so that it doesnt get to heavy.
Old 10-04-2006, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lynch_family
Hi guys,
What sort of targets do you shoot out in the open range. I am in the process of making a stand for a 15" armor plate gong. I wish I knew someone that welded. I am trying to make it simple enough so that it doesnt get to heavy.
where are you located? im planning to weld up some target stands for the trip aswell
Old 10-04-2006, 2:11 PM

message sent

Last edited by the_lynch_family; 10-04-2006 at 2:26 PM..
Old 10-04-2006, 5:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have this on my calander and flyers on the counter at the shop.
What a great guy! Thanks again for doing this, you're a valuable asset to the board and to the CA community. Much appreciated!

Turby
Old 10-04-2006, 5:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_lynch_family
Hi guys,
I'd personally LOVE some steel swinging targets, I like hearing the "plink" sound when a bullet strikes a steel plate. Very satisfying. Unfortunately, I don't have any yet. Wouldn't mind getting some.

Turby
Old 10-04-2006, 6:56 PM

You are welcome to shoot the hell out of mine. I may end up having a ar500 half body size plate we can shoot at also.I am just waiting for the shipping quote. Hopefully it wont be to much,lol

Quote:
I'd personally LOVE some steel swinging targets, I like hearing the "plink" sound when a bullet strikes a steel plate. Very satisfying. Unfortunately, I don't have any yet. Wouldn't mind getting some.

Turby