Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-11-2011, 3:05 PM

Default Mossberg 500 Metal Trigger Assembly only $50!!

Having had an issue with finding what sized hex wrench I needed for the barrel's heat shield attachment I called Mossberg company today... in that call I also checked to see if they had (and how much) a metal trigger assembly would run. I do NOT like the el cheapo plastic one it came with.

Turns out they do, with a price ($50. including return shipping) that's WAAAY-AAAY-AAAY better than Brownell's at $93.00

Cost me $28. to ship UPS (incld $400. insurance) Please let your friends know! And if you need to talk to them to verify ask for Rick in customer service.

Marc
Old 02-11-2011, 3:49 PM

Workofmarc. The polymer trigger plate assembly on your 500 is more durable then the one your ordered. Go to www.aiptactical.com and click on the link "build your weapon" and about have way down you will see a link to a Ruger Video. Click on that when that page comes up look in the right hand corner for the video "Trigger Guard".

Rugers customer went nuts when they changed the Trigger Guard on the 10/22 from metal to polymer so Ruger made this video to prove the polymer was more durable.

Watch that video and you will see a Drop Test performend on the metal trigger guard with a 4lb plate. The metal trigger guard shatters and fly's every where. But when they drop the same plate on the polymer trigger guard the plate stops dead and does not damage.

I use the polymer trigger plate assembly on all my personal weapons. I have about 20 factory new metal Police trigger plate assemblies in my shop and can use anything I want. My cost is the same on these items and I choose the polymer. Also, I have quite a few of my custom guns up in Alaska and those guys want the polymer as the cast metal gets more brittle in the cold. Not and issue for you guys in CA but is for us here in MI. It is also just another example of the polymer being more durable.

Another issue is that getting weapons in we discovered the polymer trigger plate assemblies seem to be cleaner and less gunk. One of my guys came up with the only thing that makes any sence for this. He believes that since the cast metal is more pourus when a guy cleans it and wipes it down to get oil off of it or other cleaning fluids that he is wiping off the surface and the pours retain the oil or fluids and attract gunk over time. The polymer is less pourous so when you wipe it off it is clean to start with. I don't know the reason of is this makes any sence to explain what we are finding over the years. Wish I could explain it but I can't.

Most Remington Models come with the polymer trigger plate assembly, the Express, all the Tacticals, the Marine Magnum and many of the 1100's and 11-87's. It is a good thing. I am of course only addressing the materials not the fact yours is a Mossberg and mine are Remington. Your present trigger plate assembly is made from the same polymer as my Remingtons.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 02-11-2011, 4:17 PM

>>>
I use the polymer trigger plate assembly on all my personal weapons.
>>>

Very good info. Thanks you you and the OP for an illuminating discussion.

Regards,
Brian in CA
Old 02-11-2011, 4:28 PM

WHOA!!

In the nick of time! Mr. JD McGuire you just saved me $78. --I was able to call UPS store, run down there before 6pm and cancel shipment! Thank you for setting me straight!

Marc

Last edited by aworkofmarc; 02-11-2011 at 5:11 PM.. Reason: update