Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-09-2011, 6:49 PM

Default Interstate Arms 982 12g Shotgun. Best deal?

Did some searching on here. Found for home protection people like the "982". At Buds, they are $200/free shipping. Is that the best deal, or is there a better deal?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2011, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081 View Post
Did some searching on here. Found for home protection people like the "982". At Buds, they are $200/free shipping. Is that the best deal, or is there a better deal?

Thanks
Jeep. I believe the Hawk 982 goes on sale about once a month for $200 or $209 at Big 5 Sporting Goods. You will save FFL dealer fees and perhaps less red tape. I think when they are not on sale they may be a better deal than paying the $200 plus the FFL dealer fee.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; 02-09-2011 at 7:48 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKlawMan View Post
Jeep. I believe the Hawk 982 goes on sale about once a month for $200 or $209 at Big 5 Sporting Goods. You will save FFL dealer fees and perhaps less red tape. I think when they are not on sale they may be a better deal than paying the $200 plus the FFL dealer fee.
Called three Big 5's and none have it. I called the 4th place. They only carry the "interstate version" It goes on sale for $200.

Last edited by jeep7081; 02-09-2011 at 8:24 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 8:38 PM
In Memoriam
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Do what I did... Call their corp headquarters and speak to the firearm dept. They located a Hawk 982 and had it transferred to my local Big 5 - they also matched the last sale price of $199, even though that sale ended 4 or 5 months earlier. Just ask nicely.
Old 02-09-2011, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFinger View Post
Do what I did... Call their corp headquarters and speak to the firearm dept. They located a Hawk 982 and had it transferred to my local Big 5 - they also matched the last sale price of $199, even though that sale ended 4 or 5 months earlier. Just ask nicely.
What is the difference between the hawk and the interstate? Big 5 shows two different SKU's.
Old 02-09-2011, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Called three Big 5's and none have it. I called the 4th place. They only carry the "interstate version" It goes on sale for $200.
The interstate is the same gun. Please check but Interstate simply imports the Hawk 982. I remember something else about the 982. They have been making them most recently in a new factory but, I believe, with the same equipment and with a different management style. I don't know if the old or the new factory produces a better product, but that might account for the two different sku numbers.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; 02-09-2011 at 9:02 PM..
Old 02-09-2011, 8:55 PM

Quote:
What is the difference between the hawk and the interstate? Big 5 shows two different SKU's.
Ask Big 5. They probably don't know. I don't think there is any difference, but it could be that some were bougth from another importer.
Old 02-09-2011, 9:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Interstate Arms (IAC) is the importer for the Hawk 982. Same gun!
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn View Post
Interstate Arms (IAC) is the importer for the Hawk 982. Same gun!
Thanks.
Old 02-10-2011, 5:48 AM
In Memoriam

I'd ask for the Hawk 982 because Interstate also imports, and Big 5 has been known to sell, the same 12 gauge but without the Ghost Ring Sights. So unless you don't care about the GRS, spec the 982.
Old 02-10-2011, 9:55 AM

I emailed Corp. They have a special that starts next week for $199. Here was also his reply.

"The SKU that you provided is for the MODEL 982 INTERSTATE ARMS HAWK PUMP 12GA. 6 SHOT 3" 181/2” BARREL SHOTGUN. Interstate Arms is the Manufacturer and Hawk is the Model Name."
Old 02-10-2011, 10:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Just curious, Why not just buy a used 870 from a member here in the for sale forums? The quality will be ten times better. Some places have old police trade in's and the quality of the US steel will always be there even with old used ones
Old 02-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
Just curious, Why not just buy a used 870 from a member here in the for sale forums? The quality will be ten times better. Some places have old police trade in's and the quality of the US steel will always be there even with old used ones

As much as i appreciate the 870 (I own a couple), he wont be able to pick up a used one with GRS for $199.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Old PD 870 are junk. That's been talked about on another thread. City doesn't sell it unless its junk and been used and abused.

Haven't found one on here. But, again this is for HD, so, I was shooting for price. Others have posted the gun is fine. You disagree? Can you post detail when you shot both and what you thought?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM9000 View Post
As much as i appreciate the 870 (I own a couple), he wont be able to pick up a used one with GRS for $199.
That's my thought.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 AM

The barrel is steel right? Someone said the Mossberg is aluminum.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Just curious... How do you back up that claim? Personally I believe it's an asinine statement completely without merit, but I'm open to any reasonable arguments. I would point out that "ten times better" is very nebulous, it's not easy to quantify overall quality. But if a particular model has 10x the per shot failure rate then you might have a point, but from all I've read on these and other boards that's simply not the case. I've shot over 600 rnds of various types of shells and haven't had a single failure of any sort. I'm very pleased and satisfied with the Hawk 982 and would in no way trade it in on any Remington. Older Wingmaster in great shape? Yes. Certain other 870 variations? Of course - plenty of them. But to just say a "used 870" is the better choice? Sorry, I believe that's not defensible.

Last edited by FastFinger; 02-10-2011 at 11:23 AM..
Old 02-10-2011, 2:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just curious... How do you back up that claim? Personally I believe it's an asinine statement completely without merit, but I'm open to any reasonable arguments. I would point out that "ten times better" is very nebulous, it's not easy to quantify overall quality. But if a particular model has 10x the per shot failure rate then you might have a point, but from all I've read on these and other boards that's simply not the case. I've shot over 600 rnds of various types of shells and haven't had a single failure of any sort. I'm very pleased and satisfied with the Hawk 982 and would in no way trade it in on any Remington. Older Wingmaster in great shape? Yes. Certain other 870 variations? Of course - plenty of them. But to just say a "used 870" is the better choice? Sorry, I believe that's not defensible.
Chinese steel quality is far inferior to American. Thats all and if I buy a weapon for self defense I might as well buy a nicer one in my opinion. I didnt say the hawk was a POS, just the Remington was far better and chances are if someone is selling one here, they havent shot a million and a half rounds through it. I dont know where any of my material from classes for welding went from college classes on different grades of steel (I've had a lot of wierd different experiences and expert at none) but its widely known in general the difference in quality and strength between the two. Another dumb job I had as a kid was at an auto parts store. For example, Chinese steel rotors had a three month warrenty where I worked at and had a high return rate (at least attempted return as people forgot the warrenty) at six months to a year due to warpage or them being too soft and having them wear down instead of the standard pads (really wierd to see), depending on the driver YMMV. The higher quality Rotors made in the US or Canadia usually had a 1-2 year warrenty and were rarely returned. Just an observation.
Are you using your shotgun to stop a one ton vehicle constantly? No. Will it wear out after shooting thousands of rounds? Highly doubtful. Is the quality of the material different from one brand to another? Yes. Its all what you are willing to spend I guess or if it fits your need. The OP wanted to buy one online, FFL it in then Dros. At that point its only a little bit more he could of picked up a Remy from what he was originally WILLING to pay. Differnt strokes for different folks
Old 02-10-2011, 2:11 PM

Hey 5150,

Not to get into your sword fight. I called Big 5 and the sale start next week. $199 + $18 (tax) and $25 DROS. That is $242 otd. Where can I get a Remington for $242 otd? Please post a link. Closet I found online is $315 + $50 DROS which is $365. For a home protection gun I will rarely if ever use, the savings is good to me.
Old 02-10-2011, 2:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Mossberg RECEIVER is aluminum. Barrel is steel. There are no aluminum firearm barrels that I have ever heard of.
Old 02-10-2011, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inbox485 View Post
Mossberg RECEIVER is aluminum. Barrel is steel. There are no aluminum firearm barrels that I have ever heard of.
Thanks for clarifying.
Old 02-10-2011, 5:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hey 5150,

Not to get into your sword fight. I called Big 5 and the sale start next week. $199 + $18 (tax) and $25 DROS. That is $242 otd. Where can I get a Remington for $242 otd? Please post a link. Closet I found online is $315 + $50 DROS which is $365. For a home protection gun I will rarely if ever use, the savings is good to me.
I understand. I was saying what you were willing to pay. At first you were going to FFL a firearm which would of been more than what you are now paying big 5.
But we just have different opinions which is obviously fine
I just feel that I personally would rather defend me and my own with something of higher grade is all.
Old 02-10-2011, 5:57 PM

Quote:
I understand. I was saying what you were willing to pay. At first you were going to FFL a firearm which would of been more than what you are now paying big 5.
But we just have different opinions which is obviously fine
I just feel that I personally would rather defend me and my own with something of higher grade is all.
Fair enough. Wife and I have XD40 and XD9 as our go to guns. So, were good there. This is just an add-on.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:08 PM
Veteran Member

The worst thing people can usually pin down on 982's is that they are Chinese. I've yet to see a break down of which if any parts are of inferior quality and what makes them inferior. So for HD, I can't see a 982 being such a bad choice. As for having handguns for go to guns, I'm a big fan of the saying handguns make bad guys say ow, long guns make bad guys just die. Obviously an oversimplification, but whatever degree you can make a shotgun your go to solution the better.
Old 02-10-2011, 8:11 PM

Quote:
The worst thing people can usually pin down on 982's is that they are Chinese. I've yet to see a break down of which if any parts are of inferior quality and what makes them inferior. So for HD, I can't see a 982 being such a bad choice. As for having handguns for go to guns, I'm a big fan of the saying handguns make bad guys say ow, long guns make bad guys just die. Obviously an oversimplification, but whatever degree you can make a shotgun your go to solution the better.
Agree. I also have a rifle (in my signature). My 7.62x39 Saiga can make that happen as well. Thanks. Again, it's just an add-on. Big five Corp has called the local branch and had the manager put one aside until the sale next week. Thanks for the tip "fastfinger".

Last edited by jeep7081; 02-10-2011 at 8:13 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
The basic steel and components are good but there are serious problems in the manufacturing process. I cannot tell you what they are but some minor ones. Replace the magazine spring. Also replace the screws holding the rear ghost ring site on. I can't say more about the 982 without betraying a confidence. For me, I chose to spend the extra money and buy a Remington instead of the clone. If you on a budget, I would recoommend the Pardner, also sold by Big 5, or the Stevens clone of the Ithaca. If you only want the 982 for home defense, that is one thing. If you ever want to get a longer barrel for it, you will have a problem. It will accept Remington barels, but only if you get a spacer and as far as I know you will have to make your own as nobody is manufacturing them.
Re the GRS, I concluded they were not a good idea for an HD weapon, while they have some utility as a LE or Militairy shotgun (shooting slugs for accuracy at distances such as 50 to 75 yards). IIRC the Stevens 350 has them as well as a warranty from Savage. I believe it is also threaded for a choke. I beieve it is a lifetime warranty.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 PM

Thanks for the input. I found this after.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=9163

"I have both an "Interstate Hawk" and a Norinco 982 shotgun and except for the markings they appear identical. Both have given good service so far although I suggest using Loctite or something similar on the ghostring sights as mine loosened after about 100rds of slug & 00 buck. Both have taken all the 870 parts/accessories I've tried (recoil pad, sidesaddle, 870 bolt, Wilson mag tube spring/follower). For a beater/budget HD shotgun I think they're a good buy. HTH... "
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
The basic steel and components are good but there are serious problems in the manufacturing process. I cannot tell you what they are but some minor ones. Replace the magazine spring. Also replace the screws holding the rear ghost ring site on. I can't say more about the 982 without betraying a confidence. For me, I chose to spend the extra money and buy a Remington instead of the clone. If you on a budget, I would recoommend the Pardner, also sold by Big 5, or the Stevens clone of the Ithaca. If you only want the 982 for home defense, that is one thing. If you ever want to get a longer barrel for it, you will have a problem. It will accept Remington barels, but only if you get a spacer and as far as I know you will have to make your own as nobody is manufacturing them.
Re the GRS, I concluded they were not a good idea for an HD weapon, while they have some utility as a LE or Militairy shotgun (shooting slugs for accuracy at distances such as 50 to 75 yards). IIRC the Stevens 350 has them as well as a warranty from Savage. I believe it is also threaded for a choke. I beieve it is a lifetime warranty.
I have a bone stock 982 that's still chugging along with no failures after a hair over a thousand rounds. There really is nothing wrong with them.

They aren't as pretty as a Remy, but they make good beaters and work guns.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:12 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Also replace the screws holding the rear ghost ring site on. I can't say more about the 982 without betraying a confidence.
This is that age of the internet - there are no secrets. Thousands of these have been sold and used in the US, Buds has had this as one of their top ten sellers of the year a couple of times already. If there were serious, systemic flaws we'd be reading about them on every firearm blog- I'm not catching those type of consistent negative reports anywhere. Are you?

Here are the replacement screws for the GRS:

Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
This is that age of the internet - there are no secrets. Thousands of these have been sold and used in the US, Buds has had this as one of their top ten sellers of the year a couple of times already. If there were serious, systemic flaws we'd be reading about them on every firearm blog- I'm not catching those type of consistent negative reports anywhere. Are you?

Here are the replacement screws for the GRS:

Like I said, I can't say anything more without betraying a confidence and if you think everything is on the internet I believe you are mistaken. Your utilization of the word "systemic" must be different then mine. I did not say they are ubiqitous or that they are readily apparent.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; 02-11-2011 at 10:25 AM..
Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklover_91 View Post
I have a bone stock 982 that's still chugging along with no failures after a hair over a thousand rounds. There really is nothing wrong with them.

They aren't as pretty as a Remy, but they make good beaters and work guns.
You ignored what I said about additional barrels, the ability to use chokes on the Stevens, and the warranty that comes with it. I am glad that your's is doing well after a thousand rounds.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Another satisfied 982 owner here. You don't have to replace anything if you don't want to, just put blue loctite on the screws holding down the rear sight if it makes you feel better.

NOTE: It eats all the cheap ammo sold at Wally World without having to polish the chamber!

Take comments about "low quality steel" with a big grain of salt, I haven't seen any evidence to support it.

Last edited by sd_shooter; 02-11-2011 at 10:50 AM..
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
Another satisfied 982 owner here. You don't have to replace anything if you don't want to, just put blue loctite on the screws holding down the rear sight if it makes you feel better.

NOTE: It eats all the cheap ammo sold at Wally World without having to polish the chamber!

Take comments about "low quality steel" with a big grain of salt, I haven't seen any evidence to support it.
How do your different barrels fit and what do you think about the chokes? If all you want is an HD gun that is one thing, but if you later want something for hunting, shooting clays, or even many tactical situations it ain't the gun to have. Period. I forgot, what is the outlook on magazine extensions since MAX100 is out of the picture?
Old 02-12-2011, 5:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
How do your different barrels fit and what do you think about the chokes? If all you want is an HD gun that is one thing, but if you later want something for hunting, shooting clays, or even many tactical situations it ain't the gun to have. Period. I forgot, what is the outlook on magazine extensions since MAX100 is out of the picture?
The distances within my home won't warrant a 28" barrel or a tight choke It's an HD gun, but works great for busting clays when I'm out in the boonies.

Yes, MAX100 is gone forever and so are his custom extensions. In the meantime us 982 owners can get any +1 870 extension:
(not my pic)

For a +2 that's even with the barrel one can get a custom 870 extension from here:
http://www.tacord.com/firearmparts.htm

For the rest of the gun except the barrel, any 870 parts will fit.

If/when I get a longer shotgun it will be an autoloader.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:05 AM

Did I say antything about a 28" barrel for HD? That would be for hunting or busting clays and I also shoot trap and skeet with an 18" barrel. Anyone claiming you can't do better with a longer barrel and a choke is full of it. Don't get me wrong. I think the Hawk is a pretty good deal if it fits your needs, but depending on what those may be I think some may wish to get a Paardner ($200), a Stevens 350 ($270 and it also has GRS and I believe it takes a choke, a Maverick 88 (around $200) or even a Mossberg. As you know, I went with a Remington 870, but most every shotgun is a good deal if it meets your individual needs. Mine were both a short and a long barrel with changeable chokes, a diverse accessories aftermarket, and I wanted to buy American. That and some issues with manufacturing the Hawk that I won't discuss.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Did I say antything about a 28" barrel for HD? That would be for hunting or busting clays and I also shoot trap and skeet with an 18" barrel. Anyone claiming you can't do better with a longer barrel and a choke is full of it. Don't get me wrong. I think the Hawk is a pretty good deal if it fits your needs, but depending on what those may be I think some may wish to get a Paardner ($200), a Stevens 350 ($270 and it also has GRS and I believe it takes a choke, a Maverick 88 (around $200) or even a Mossberg. ...
The Hawk 982 is simply the best value HD shotgun currently available, it's not the best value Jack-of-All-Trades SG that would be the Mossberg 500.

It's been imported for over 12 years with hundreds of thousands sold or more. And, has a reputation as being as reliable as the 870.
Made by the same factory as the Pardner your recommending which is owned by Remington.
Uses higher carbon (harder) steel than Remington
Accepts all Remington 870 parts excluding barrels (except with spacer)
Accepts Pardner longer barrels
Has a parkerized finish that won't peel off unlike the lower end 870
Uses a machined steel extractor unlike the MIM extractors on 870's
Supplies SG's to the Chinese military and police
Has a sturdier butt stock than the 870
5+1 ammo capacity vs. 4+1
Uses a better shell lifter design vs the 870
The barrel locking lug is in a better location. Being higher up it allows for a mount to be added above the fore end to mount accessories.
Eats any ammo your feed it, no need to polish the chamber like many 870's
Goes bang every time

IIRC, the issue of the GRS screws backing out was mostly a problem with the 981 or not the 982. But, a little blue loctite or replacing the screws with hardened steel hex screws can't hurt.
Old 02-15-2011, 9:50 AM

Sorry, but I just can't see buying any gun from Red China.
I don't care what the value is, the best deal, the greatest and latest.
And, yes I do own imported guns, just not from a commie country.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Mossberg barrels are steel, Its the receiver that is an alloy.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mug View Post
The Hawk 982 is simply the best value HD shotgun currently available, it's not the best value Jack-of-All-Trades SG that would be the Mossberg 500.

It's been imported for over 12 years with hundreds of thousands sold or more. And, has a reputation as being as reliable as the 870.
Made by the same factory as the Pardner your recommending which is owned by Remington.
Uses higher carbon (harder) steel than Remington
Accepts all Remington 870 parts excluding barrels (except with spacer)
Accepts Pardner longer barrels
Has a parkerized finish that won't peel off unlike the lower end 870
Uses a machined steel extractor unlike the MIM extractors on 870's
Supplies SG's to the Chinese military and police
Has a sturdier butt stock than the 870
5+1 ammo capacity vs. 4+1
Uses a better shell lifter design vs the 870
The barrel locking lug is in a better location. Being higher up it allows for a mount to be added above the fore end to mount accessories.
Eats any ammo your feed it, no need to polish the chamber like many 870's
Goes bang every time

IIRC, the issue of the GRS screws backing out was mostly a problem with the 981 or not the 982. But, a little blue loctite or replacing the screws with hardened steel hex screws can't hurt.
Okay. Its the better value,e ven if you cann't get a different barrel for it, but can use a Pardner barrel if you can get one(the company won't sell you a barrel unless you have a pardner and in order to ensure that they have you send the receiver to them) or a Remington barrrel (if you make a spacer like the one somebody made out of a piece of pvd irrigation pipe). The steel is not harder and none of it is really good untless treated correctly, which is less likely to be the case with the 982.

Value is a subjective measure. Try market value. Why do people pay more for Remington and which gun will have the better return on purchase price in ten years?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 AM

I'd just keep looking and buy used. I picked up a Winchester 1300 Defender with 15 rounds through it for $80 plus transfer. Slapped some wood furniture on it and I'm happy. There are deals out there if you can find them!