Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-08-2011, 9:43 PM

Default Can you put a magwell on a Saiga12 with a BB?

I noticed a couple threads on here talking about it but never saw any follow up on how it worked out. I have my Saiga 12 up and running great, and would really like to add a magwell. Just wondering, with a converted Saiga, if that bullet button is going to hinder putting on a magwell. Is there a spacific one to buy>?
CSS has no idea about bullet buttons...lucky...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned

Also, can you run drums with a magwell?

Dont know if the stem of the drum is long enough...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemaccham View Post
I noticed a couple threads on here talking about it but never saw any follow up on how it worked out. I have my Saiga 12 up and running great, and would really like to add a magwell. Just wondering, with a converted Saiga, if that bullet button is going to hinder putting on a magwell. Is there a spacific one to buy>?
CSS has no idea about bullet buttons...lucky...

Contact R&R Targets. I spoke with them at SHOT, and they have a CA model of this magwell that has a shortened lever and a shroud (maglock).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagelthief View Post
Also, can you run drums with a magwell?

Dont know if the stem of the drum is long enough...
My first guess would be No. The stem is just too short.

However, I did some searching, and found some discussions.

Magwell for stick and drum mags

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
And yes, this IS gun school.
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdsmchs View Post
There is life outside of Calguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 8:21 AM

there currently are no drums that will work in the different magwells out there.

as for a bullet button, you would have to have something custom made, im sure. think
AR type mag release for a start on what you would have to make.
Old 02-09-2011, 8:37 AM

I'm liking that R&R Tactical:

Old 02-09-2011, 8:57 AM

That is awsome, so it has a built in BB? how much does it run?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Veteran Member

The rep told me it was just a few bucks more than the standard magwell. Maybe 20 or 30 more.

You should probably just contact them.

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
stop looking to the internet to tell you everything you should do.....sack up and just do what you want!!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 1:42 PM

Will do, thanks. It looks like it has some mixed reviews, but you guys haven't had any problems? probably just gun yuppies complaining because it isn't straight from russian..
Old 02-09-2011, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerTroop View Post
The rep told me it was just a few bucks more than the standard magwell. Maybe 20 or 30 more.

You should probably just contact them.

Robert of R&R will have these out in a bit for $239
Old 02-09-2011, 8:52 PM

Ya hey told me $250, and same thing, out soon. I'm curious how the bulletbutton portion works. Because it's 2 1/2 times the cost of one from carolina shooters, and looking at the magwell, on the CSS one, it looks like you could still use a bullet button.

But if that $250 has a AR style BB it's worth it.
Old 02-09-2011, 8:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

wow never seen this so do you have to mod the mags so they no longer rock and lock
Old 02-09-2011, 9:44 PM

kinda wondering if the CSS one would work with a BB, anyone ever try the rock'n lock with a BB?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 PM

What about this bullet button http://armsofamerica.com/saiga12magazinelock-3999.aspx

with this magwell http://store.carolinashooterssupply....l?sfs=4b75ed70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
dont hate me because I am beautiful, I wasnt always like this, then, I tried albertoVO5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
Sent from my brain, to yours. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARfan23 View Post
You ****ing people are stupid.
Old 02-10-2011, 6:28 AM

ya I think i'm gonna go with that magwell, since I have agp mags. and if my BB doesn't work I might try that BB.
Old 02-10-2011, 7:22 AM

Quote:
ya I think i'm gonna go with that magwell, since I have agp mags. and if my BB doesn't work I might try that BB.
Let me know if that's going to work out for you... I'm still waiting on my S12.
I haven't seen the BB on mine and I don't want to order anything, yet... Three more days.

This is why I want one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
dont hate me because I am beautiful, I wasnt always like this, then, I tried albertoVO5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
Sent from my brain, to yours. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARfan23 View Post
You ****ing people are stupid.
Old 02-10-2011, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerTroop View Post
However, I did some searching, and found some discussions.

Magwell for stick and drum mags
That thread is vaporware. Its been dead for almost 2 years.

There is no magwell that is the end all and be all for everyone and everything. Every magwell that is out there for the S12 is mag specific. Even more so its mag specific to mags it is made for that are modded only to work in that magwell.

The R&R Targets works only with Surefire mags that are modded to fit in that magwell with its AR like mag catch.

The Russian magwell, if you can get one, works only with the Russian 8 round mags which are also quite rare and expensive.

The magwells at Carolina Shooters Supply are made be JT Engineering and there is an AGP version and a Surefire version. Both of which requires modding of the mag such that the mag only works with the magwell and not in a stock S12.

The best thing to do is to just leave the magwell alone because in that form its is compatible with all the drums and mags made for the S12. This would allow you the flexibility of using your buddy's Surefires while you can also use your AGPs or use an MD drum or Promag drum when you're in a mag friendly state.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagedude88 View Post
...The best thing to do is to just leave the magwell alone because in that form its is compatible with all the drums and mags made for the S12. This would allow you the flexibility of using your buddy's Surefires while you can also use your AGPs or use an MD drum or Promag drum when you're in a mag friendly state.
My thoughts exactly. However, people do wacky things with their guns. I was just giving them a jumping off point for their search on magwells.

Going further on this subject - The AK pattern gun design hasn't changed much (almost none) in about 65 years. I think there's a reason for that. When you start monkeying with the core design, in this case; rock and lock mags, you are really limiting the weapon. Mag reliability goes down, as well as mag interchangeability.

Is there really a major advantage to the addition of a magwell, other than for competition?

If it's just for "cool factor", something different, or some other preferential reason then by all means do it. I'm all for it However, you're losing something in the process.

Quote:
Welcome to class.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-10-2011, 10:41 PM

Really good point. Seems like alot of changes that benefit you in one way hinder another.
But I don't have any buddies with s12s to share mags with and I would like a easier way to load a S12 clip, especially under pressure. Wouldn't the mag well reinforce the mag as well?
Has anyone ever used the rock n lock? Does it help a lot? And do you have to modify your mags for it?
Old 02-11-2011, 4:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Really good point. Seems like alot of changes that benefit you in one way hinder another.
But I don't have any buddies with s12s to share mags with and I would like a easier way to load a S12 clip, especially under pressure. Wouldn't the mag well reinforce the mag as well?
Has anyone ever used the rock n lock? Does it help a lot? And do you have to modify your mags for it?

rock n lock is a magazine insertion method

it is found on the ak ,the mini 14/thrity, m1a,fal

straight insertion is the type on ar-15(stanag mag all others) ,m1 carbine,thompson, uzi
Old 02-11-2011, 4:49 PM

I think this is what he was asking about:

Rock and Lock
Old 02-11-2011, 7:17 PM

I watched the R&R target guys video, mag changes in 1.48 sec. shot to shot = awesome. That's almost as fast and Jerry M's tubular reloads on his old Remington 1100 (he's now shooting a 930 mossy).
Most high end custom guns have "tuned" magazines for that gun, the S-12 with a mag well used for 3 gun shouldn't be a surprize that modified magazines are needed and that they won't work in anything but your gun. But if you do all of that to your Saiga...it's a dedicated game gun, nothing else. In that light, I say get 10 or 12 modified magazines and have a ball.
Otherwise, leave it alone and practice the tried and true AK47 *"Knock it, rock it and lock it" mag change. Heck 10 million Chinese and Russian soldiers couldn't be wrong, could they?
*needs to be modified for CA bullet button contraptions.
Old 02-12-2011, 1:27 AM

My analysis when I looked into a few years ago was that the magwells were too picky for my mixed mag lot. Also the purpose is to increase mag change speed with fully load mag and bolt closed. This can be accomplished by just getting the bolt polished. Still have to rock but unless u are a professional shooter in stiff competitions u might shave .2 seconds off reload time. Bolt polish is relatively cheap and can still use all mags.

Lastly, my understanding is if they ever perfect a bolt hold open on last round magwells will hinder the ability to work.
Old 02-12-2011, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2k View Post
I think this is what he was asking about:

Rock and Lock
Thanks. That is what I was talking about.