Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-08-2011, 3:25 PM

Default Rock Island Match 1911

I've read a lot of good reviews on the base models from RIA but does anyone have input on the 1911 Match? It's listing pretty cheap right now at $579 BNIB and considering the review I read at m1911.org i sounds like a very well made, albeit inexpensive 1911. What say ye Calguns? Do I need another 1911?

http://www.m1911.org/ezine/RIAMatch.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
The message here is that you do not f with the CGF, or Calguns, or gun owners for that matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
It's not easy being both the anti-christ AND Hitler but I manage to pull it off with aplomb...
Old 02-08-2011, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

At $579, for me, I'll add a few dollars each month to the pot and wait until I can afford a pre owned actual Colt from the private sale market place....thats just me. I've seen some nice guns go through there recently in the 700 to 1000 range. If the RIA was $479 instead of $579 I might be less inclined to wait though. There are some posters really beating them up on here, but then some saying they are fine.
Old 02-08-2011, 3:41 PM

They're all loving the Tactical at $479, this is the "match" model which supposedl has some hand fiting between the slide and frame, and a crisp/light trigger. I already have a high dollar 1911 that I refuse to shoot anyone with, this is one I could afford to give to the police after and not really bother going to pick up after my acquittal...

Quote:
The message here is that you do not f with the CGF, or Calguns, or gun owners for that matter.
Quote:
It's not easy being both the anti-christ AND Hitler but I manage to pull it off with aplomb...
Old 02-08-2011, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

My tactical model has a very nice frame/slide fit. The only thing it needs is a slightly better trigger pull. Those who hate on Rock Islands need to go out and shoot one. I absolutely love mine and it is the cheapest gun in my collection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleighter View Post
Getting legal advice from a gun salesman, is like getting medical advice from a janitor at a hospital. Both make about the same per hour and both prove that being around something all day doesn't make you an expert.

Lifetime NRA member.
Old 02-08-2011, 4:09 PM

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, all my latest builds/purchases have all been real nice, but nice to the point that playing with them can be scary. I'm looking for a go anywhere, shoot anything, get it dirty and leave it that way 1911. The price locally is actually better than anyone has online (not by much, but about 5% better) and once it's been shipped in and processed it actually costs more than paying the sales tax to CA! I hate giving this state money but I'm no ideologue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himurax13 View Post
My tactical model has a very nice frame/slide fit. The only thing it needs is a slightly better trigger pull. Those who hate on Rock Islands need to go out and shoot one. I absolutely love mine and it is the cheapest gun in my collection.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-08-2011, 5:32 PM

you could always use another 1911!
Old 02-08-2011, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

I sold my Springfield GI to buy a Tactical in 9mm. The Springfield was good, but I think for the same price, the RIA is much better. The features that come on the tactical are pretty nice (compared to the GI) and the gun feels pretty solidly built. I can shoot this gun way more accurately than I could my GI. There are some things that could be improved though. The sights suck. It could really use an extended slide release. The grip panels are ok, but don't provide very much grip. The finish is ok too. It seems like a lower quality parkerizing.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 02-08-2011, 7:00 PM

One can NEVER have too many 1911s. I have three and want more. The great thing about 1911s is that if you don't like something it can be changed or fixed.
Old 02-08-2011, 8:51 PM

Good point on the stocks, I have a coupon for some coccobolo stocks that I'll *** to it when I get it out of jail. I'm going to Norwalk tomorrow at lunch, pics and range report to follow, if anyone shoots at Angeles come find me and help me farm some lead. Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Quote: