Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 09-16-2016, 10:05 AM

Default CCW with Multiple Addresses

I'm thinking about getting my CCW, but I am unsure of how my current living situation affects it. I own a home in El Dorado County (purchased in the last year), which I understand is CCW friendly, however because of work I only end up spending 2-3 months out of the year at that home, and have apartments both in San Francisco and Orange counties.

Currently my mailing address is set to the San Francisco apartment as I spend the most time there, but if I change it to my El Dorado County home and wait a little bit let the address mature for a little, do you foresee me having problems applying for a CCW?

Thanks for taking the time to read and for the input.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM

"Principle residence" is what is considered for qualifying for CCW. That means the residence that you spend most of your time at. Our IA is very sensitive to this because of people in adjacent counties making it look like their principle residence is in Mendocino County (mostly from Sonoma County) and it isn't.

Dan
Old 09-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

They do physically verify your principal address. And because many have tried your suggested work around they are pretty good at catching people. Lying on your application is a felony.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:19 AM
Calguns Addict

Except for documenting, on a public forum, your intent to provide a fraudulent address, no, I don't see any problems.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanks for the answers, I haven't really delved into the CCW laws yet. I'll apply for the CCW when I spend the most of my time at my El Dorado County home.

I now know the proper definition of a principal residence.

Does anyone want to take a guess of how much time I would have to spend at my El Dorado Home to have it consistently counted as my principal address? Do I need to spend more than 50% of my time there, or does it need to be just the place I spend most of my time at. I honestly don't spend a majority of the year at many of the places as I am on the road most of the year because of work.

Again thanks, I did not plan on lying on my application and committing a felony, thank you all for keeping me out of the pen. I would not do well there
Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by footballscout View Post
Thanks for the answers, I haven't really delved into the CCW laws yet. I'll apply for the CCW when I spend the most of my time at my El Dorado County home.

I now know the proper definition of a principal residence.

Does anyone want to take a guess of how much time I would have to spend at my El Dorado Home to have it consistently counted as my principal address? Do I need to spend more than 50% of my time there, or does it need to be just the place I spend most of my time at. I honestly don't spend a majority of the year at many of the places as I am on the road most of the year because of work.

Again thanks, I did not plan on lying on my application and committing a felony, thank you all for keeping me out of the pen. I would not do well there
It needs to be your principal residence more then half the year. Defining that is up to the individual county. Unless your principal address is "on the road" in which case you wouldn't qualify for any county.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:35 AM

Looks like I am going to have to craft my career arc to spend more time at home (or the orange county address), either that or I am going to have to wait until I retire.

Thanks 71MUSTY!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:41 AM

In our county (Mendocino) we have a "CCW Administrator" in the Sheriff's office that answers questions like yours. Best to contact the IA ans find out what their policy is.

Dan
Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71MUSTY View Post
It needs to be your principal residence more then half the year. Defining that is up to the individual county. Unless your principal address is "on the road" in which case you wouldn't qualify for any county.
There is no statewide (statutory or regulatory) definition for residence in a city or county, so that is left up to issuing agencies. (There are a couple of definitions for state residency - see, for examples, Government Code 244, Elections Code 349)

58 counties, maybe a couple dozen cities that issue: possibly around 100 different policies, though I expect some that are essentially the same as the policies of other IAs.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
You own property there....pay taxes there, utilities, phone etc. What your address on your drivers license, where are you registered to vote. What's your intent when/if you're done travelling around this beautiful state....going back to the property that you just bought? If you travel for work and the work is state wide or even covering some adjoining states, you still have a home somewhere no matter how long you are actually in residence.

The point is to establish residence somewhere that you'll be calling home and NOT just trying to game the system. Once you have yourself established check with your IA and see what they say before doing any formal request and spending money that may be for naught!!!

Always be upfront and good luck in your future endeavors!!!
CA - Done
Old 09-20-2016, 9:30 PM

One way of looking at a principle residence may be looking at how the FTB would qualify the residency, yet this is on a state level vs a county level. These issues are common when one has a house in Nevada and California during tax planning. There are lots of facts and circumstances. One would look at positive evidence and negative evidence. Positive would be that if you had kids, they went to school in the county of issue. You are registered to vote in that county. You use that house as primary location when not working. Negative evidence, you rent your property to someone else, or lets say the house is a 60k shack in the mountains and you own a 2 million condo in SF.

These situations can happen when multiple properties are owned in different areas. Most likely a detective will verify all the information and can paint a picture easily if it is a sham, similar to a revenue agent on audit. For these questions, your CPA or lawyer should give you the best advice.
Old 09-20-2016, 9:33 PM
Guitar: The Deplorables
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Same for San Bernardino.

Most denials are due to residency issues.

A lot of people from LACO own cabins in Big Bear and Arrowhead.

That doesn't fly when the detective conducts the neighborhood check and the neighbors all say "Ya, super nice guy, we watch his place when he's in The City working."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA is our insurance against their success.