Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 03-15-2017, 3:11 PM

Default Anyone Carry an EMP 3"?

Looking to hear thoughts and impressions of those who carry an EMP or another 3"-4" 1911 daily.

Please share your impressions and opinions on weight, position of carry (AIWB, OWB, 3/4 o'clock...), type of holster, belt recommendations, any anything else you have an opinion on caring a non-government 1911.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2017, 3:52 PM

I've had my 3" EMP 9mm in my carry rotation for over 5 years and it's been a great gun for me. It's been very reliable, easy to control and accurate. I played around with different defense ammo because it was a little finicky with Ranger-Ts that I use in my other guns but Gold Dots have worked flawless for me with it. I carry it primarily iwb at 3:30 to 4 o'clock and I find it very comfortable. I have even ankle carried it and it works for that if needed. If you like the 1911 platform, I definitely recommend it. It gets the most use for me during the summer months. I like the smaller size and thinner profile compared to my double stacks. It's easier to conceal under light clothing. The light weight is nice too. I got it before the Shield and XDS were in production so those are worth a look since they are cheaper I think. I prefer the fit and feel of the EMP. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 4:07 PM

I currently CCW a Springfield Lightweight Champion with a Surefire X300u lite attached. It's a tad big but I've had no problems and I've stayed with the 1911's because I've had no problems with the ones I have.

I do CCW a Glock 43 when I need to carry something light.

All my guns are carried at the 3 o'clock position in a Alessi DOJ holster.

It has served me well but your mileage may vary..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 5:49 PM

Thanks for the input Sctwn35!

I am most comfortable shooting 1911's and have a 4" and 5" both chambered in 9mm which I love and shoot well. The EMP appeals to me since its the only 3" 9mm 1911 on the CA roster so I won't have to stock a new caliber. I have handled and shot the Clock 26, M&P Shield, and XD9SC and out of those three I shoot the XD9SC best, but its still not a 1911 and the weight is close.

I'm glad to hear you have been carrying it for a while and find it reliable as the negatives I have heard all surround issues with feeding. Have you ever carried it AIWB?

I'm also looking to see if I can find a Sig P938 somewhere local to shoot and see how I like it and consider picking one up if I can find one for a somewhat reasonable price.For the time being I will plan on carrying an EMP if/when I pass my CCW.

What SD ammo have you run through it before you finally settled on the Gold Dots?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctwn35 View Post
I've had my 3" EMP 9mm in my carry rotation for over 5 years and it's been a great gun for me. It's been very reliable, easy to control and accurate. I played around with different defense ammo because it was a little finicky with Ranger-Ts that I use in my other guns but Gold Dots have worked flawless for me with it. I carry it primarily iwb at 3:30 to 4 o'clock and I find it very comfortable. I have even ankle carried it and it works for that if needed. If you like the 1911 platform, I definitely recommend it. It gets the most use for me during the summer months. I like the smaller size and thinner profile compared to my double stacks. It's easier to conceal under light clothing. The light weight is nice too. I got it before the Shield and XDS were in production so those are worth a look since they are cheaper I think. I prefer the fit and feel of the EMP. Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-15-2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx5000 View Post
Thanks for the input Sctwn35!

I am most comfortable shooting 1911's and have a 4" and 5" both chambered in 9mm which I love and shoot well. The EMP appeals to me since its the only 3" 9mm 1911 on the CA roster so I won't have to stock a new caliber. I have handled and shot the Clock 26, M&P Shield, and XD9SC and out of those three I shoot the XD9SC best, but its still not a 1911 and the weight is close.

I'm glad to hear you have been carrying it for a while and find it reliable as the negatives I have heard all surround issues with feeding. Have you ever carried it AIWB?

I'm also looking to see if I can find a Sig P938 somewhere local to shoot and see how I like it and consider picking one up if I can find one for a somewhat reasonable price.For the time being I will plan on carrying an EMP if/when I pass my CCW.

What SD ammo have you run through it before you finally settled on the Gold Dots?
Yes, it is a little finicky with feeding the right hollow points. It seemed like the edge of the hollow point tip would catch on to edge of the feed ramp depending on how wide the opening was. Also, I misspoke earlier about using Gold Dots. I tried Ranger-Ts, Gold Dots and Federal HST. The Gold Dots were a close second for me to the HSTs but I still had 2 misfeeds out of 200 rounds. I had zero out of the HSTs so that is actually what is my carry ammo for it. Those feed just fine in my XD9 too so I ended up switching to HSTs for both guns. I haven't tried appendix carry yet but I just ordered a Smart Carry holster for it so I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 03-15-2017, 7:18 PM

Thanks for the update.

Ive heard a lot of good things about running the HST through the EMP and will test that out.

I've heard a lot of good things about Vedder's IWB kydex holster but please let me know what you end up testing and how you like it as I'm still a few month out from carrying.

Quote:
Yes, it is a little finicky with feeding the right hollow points. It seemed like the edge of the hollow point tip would catch on to edge of the feed ramp depending on how wide the opening was. Also, I misspoke earlier about using Gold Dots. I tried Ranger-Ts, Gold Dots and Federal HST. The Gold Dots were a close second for me to the HSTs but I still had 2 misfeeds out of 200 rounds. I had zero out of the HSTs so that is actually what is my carry ammo for it. Those feed just fine in my XD9 too so I ended up switching to HSTs for both guns. I haven't tried appendix carry yet but I just ordered a Smart Carry holster for it so I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 03-15-2017, 8:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That's weird I shot 100 rounds of HST's on mine without hiccups
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1211239

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2017, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx5000 View Post
Looking to hear thoughts and impressions of those who carry an EMP or another 3"-4" 1911 daily.

Please share your impressions and opinions on weight, position of carry (AIWB, OWB, 3/4 o'clock...), type of holster, belt recommendations, any anything else you have an opinion on caring a non-government 1911.

Thanks!
Here are my thoughts...for whatever they're worth...

1911 reliability becomes a whole lot more challenging once you drop below 4 inches. It begs the question of whether the increased risk is worth the return of a barrel that is, at most, only an inch shorter?

For most people...including myself...it's not the barrel that presents challenges for concealment. It's the grip. So if concealing the barrel isn't a problem, then why take the chance? If I was set on carrying a 1911, then a 4 inch gun is the shortest that I would personally go.

Further, if I did absolutely need the lightest and smallest concealment package possible, a 1911 probably isn't going to be my choice. There are plenty of other sub compact platforms that don't have the reliability challenges that the 1911 does when it goes sub compact. Glock, Shield and XDS all come to mind.

And please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that there aren't reliable 3+ inch 1911's out there. Only that finding reliable ones becomes more challenging compared to the their larger counterparts and it's a challenge I'm just not interested in taking on. If you are willing to, that's great and I wish you the best of luck. But in this configuration I would absolutely make sure you go with a quality MFG that has a good reputation for both it's product and service after the sale...in the event that you need it.

As for carrying, I'm a big fan of AIWB. It works well for me and I don't have any problems concealing a 5 inch 1911 in a JM Custom AIWB-WC rig on an Aegis Enhanced belt. Both pieces (holster and belt) are simply excellent. Do note, however, that the Aegis belt probably isn't the best choice if you intend to carry on your center line. The belt buckle is bit large. One of the numerous buckle-less belt options will probably be a better choice for center line carry.

Fighter Pilot
Old 03-15-2017, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post

1911 reliability becomes a whole lot more challenging once you drop below 4 inches. It begs the question of whether the increased risk is worth the return of a barrel that is, at most, only an inch shorter?

For most people...including myself...it's not the barrel that presents challenges for concealment. It's the grip. So if concealing the barrel isn't a problem, then why take the chance? If I was set on carrying a 1911, then a 4 inch gun is the shortest that I would personally go.

Further, if I did absolutely need the lightest and smallest concealment package possible, a 1911 probably isn't going to be my choice. There are plenty of other sub compact platforms that don't have the reliability challenges that the 1911 does when it goes sub compact. Glock, Shield and XDS all come to mind.

And please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that there aren't reliable 3+ inch 1911's out there. Only that finding reliable ones becomes more challenging compared to the their larger counterparts and it's a challenge I'm just not interested in taking on. If you are willing to, that's great and I wish you the best of luck. But in this configuration I would absolutely make sure you go with a quality MFG that has a good reputation for both it's product and service after the sale...in the event that you need it.

As for carrying, I'm a big fan of AIWB. It works well for me and I don't have any problems concealing a 5 inch 1911 in a JM Custom AIWB-WC rig on an Aegis Enhanced belt. Both pieces (holster and belt) are simply excellent. Do note, however, that the Aegis belt probably isn't the best choice if you intend to carry on your center line. The belt buckle is bit large. One of the numerous buckle-less belt options will probably be a better choice for center line carry.
I've been carrying mine for years, and it always amazes me to see one in the used gun case at the local gun retailer as it's been the most accurate, easy to shoot gun that I've carried. I put hogue grips on it pretty much out of the box (#43000) but it took some dremel-ing to get them to fit properly and not interfere with the mag release and thumb safety. Anyway, as you can probably guess, I'd HIGHLY recommend it if you are looking at a 3* semi auto for a carry pistol. I usually carry it during the winter and carry a smaller, more concealable popgun during the summer, but I miss my EMP then...
Old 03-16-2017, 6:45 AM

Quote:
This is how I carry my XDs. Best option I have found for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L84CABO View Post

OP, I'm not an expert on 1911s but I hear this a lot from those who are, not to depend on a 3" 1911 for CCW. I don't own a 3" or 4" so I don't know, but I hear this all the time.
Old 03-16-2017, 7:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I cannot legally carry here in overlord smiths domain. But my EMP is a great little gun. The only hiccups I have ever had were my own fault (didn't clean for a number of range trips). So far it has reliably eaten everything I put through it, regardless of bullet type...as long as I keep it clean.

Good luck OP!

Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
No more stupid threads. you have my word
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugerDevil666 View Post
Rule 1 I'll admit I'm a jerk when I post stupid thread.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher View Post
I'll do the picking.. Name wise .. if you don't mind...
Helmut Shmacher- Formerly lugerdevil666
Old 03-16-2017, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnowme01 View Post
That's weird I shot 100 rounds of HST's on mine without hiccups
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1211239

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Good thread, thanks for sharing.

I definitely plan on running HST 115 and 147 through mine when I take it to the range.
Old 03-16-2017, 7:26 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I've shot an EMP a few times with my friend. It had FTFs one time we were shooting remanufactures. The 3 other 9mm pistols fed and shot these same remans fine. Since it was the only ammo we had, we chalked it up to either the bullets or the gun. Second time we took it out, we had 3 brands of factory bullets: fiocchi, magtech, herters. All shot fine through the EMP, multiple mags of each ammo.
Old 03-16-2017, 7:49 PM

I'll be adding my EMP to my carry license when I get around to it, primarily for fanny pack concealment while cycling. I wouldn't recommend carrying one unless your either really practiced with a safety-equipped gun or your going to practice a great deal initially.

Case in point: my wife and I practice 2x/week with our full-size 9mm 1911s, but everything we do is from the surrender position. If I go to a range and pick up my 1911 from the bench I can easily forget the safety. The safety manipulation has to be 100% from every conceivable starting position: low ready, night stand drawer, holster, etc.
Old 03-16-2017, 8:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoRob View Post
OP, I'm not an expert on 1911s but I hear this a lot from those who are, not to depend on a 3" 1911 for CCW. I don't own a 3" or 4" so I don't know, but I hear this all the time.
This is always in reference to .45's and not 9mm. The EMP was designed for a 9mm cartridge.

I've owned my EMP for a couple of years and aside from being extremely tight when new and difficulty​ with it going into full battery, it is now 100% reliable. Mine likes Speer gold dots and HST's which is all I've run through it and all I use for HD and SD rounds for all of my pistols. I carry it in leather at 3:00 and can hardly tell it's there most of the time. I also carry a 4" 9mm 1911 and a 5" .45.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifilef View Post
Why don't you take the anarchist agenda somewhere else? You have nothing but disdain for the courts and rule of law.
Old 03-16-2017, 9:11 PM

Have a Emp 3" and a g43 on my ccw and by far I prefer the Emp even though it is heavier. I have hornady critical defense 124gr in her and with 3 mags of it shot without a hiccup and 1000 rounds of 115gr range Ammo (practice drawing a lot) I've have no jams at all. G43 is definitely lighter even with Taran +2 base pads on it. Both guns I carry at 4 o'clock in a galco holster. I would recommend a Emp if you get used to the practice (single action safety)
Certified USPSA Range Officer