Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 10-04-2015, 7:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Great deal on CCW gun today in Del Mar

Many of my clients have the S&W Shield on their CCW.

When testing new holsters to select what to carry I usually have acquire a holster for my full size M&P which is what I shoot well and like to carry. Have small sub compact or my wife's P22 we use for testing as well.

We had our booth at the Cross Roads of the West Gun Show in Del Mar, and as usual we take a little time before the show to look around. Quantico Arms out of Oceanside was there with a great deal. They had the Shield in either .40 S&W or 9mm for $299.00. Out the door tax with DROS was $347.

With as much as I like my full .40 S&W as my carry gun, decided to gain more experience with shield in 9mm. Heck 1,000 round of 9mm reloads were going under $200, and a box of 50 Winchester hollowpoints were going for $15.99. So the wife who usually doesn't like me to buy when were there to sell (other than ammo when we are there to sell) said go for it. (although I do have sell the S&W M&P AR-15-22 to cover it.)

There were other really good deals to be had, as business was generally slow, but this was a must have.

There where no lines around the ammo booths, and by that I mean they didn't even have crowd control stuff up. Everything was available and large lots or new and reload where available, as were reloading supplies.

The one thing I noticed more of were the 80% lower guys offer 80% .45's.
Was interesting to watch.

Thought the deal on the Shield was really incredible and they had a really good supply.

Last edited by grantar2; 10-04-2015 at 7:51 PM..
Old 10-05-2015, 7:22 AM

Wonder how they can sell the Shield so cheap?
Did they buy a gross or something?

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

"No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-05-2015, 7:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44fred View Post
You got a hell of a deal!

Report back with your shooting experience after it is out of jail ...
Old 10-05-2015, 6:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
No clue, couple of unhappy vendors around them. All I know is they had a lot of them. I actually almost missed that they were having a sale. They just had small signs on the booth advertising it. What keyed me was several people who had just bought one, came over to look at our holsters, and told us they had just bought one. Went over to check it out and the deal was as advertised.

I posted not to make anyone jealous, but thought they might call Quantico which is in Oceanside and see if they would extend the show deal if they have any left.

Even my shops land lord who just bought one from Buds guns paid more than I did, and he shopped his butt off.
Old 10-05-2015, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockN'Roll View Post
You got a hell of a deal!

Report back with your shooting experience after it is out of jail ...
Will do.

My plan is to pick it up in the morning of the 14th, stop on my way back at On-Target drop about 100 rounds through it, and then take it down Thursday night to Iron Sights in Oceanside for the Oceanside Practical Pistol Club Thursday night shoot, and put another 100 rounds through it in a competitive environment and see how it does.

After that I will shoot it side by side with my friend 9mm Shield. He has the Apex Trigger job, Night Sights, Crimson Trace green laser. Will be interesting to see the difference. He is a gunsmith so will have to see if he has done the usual internal polishing as well.

If I am happy with the accuracy and performance will likely get with my friends over at Artemis defense Institute or Top Gun go shoot the qualification to add it to my permit.
Old 10-06-2015, 3:50 PM

Quote:
I know they were recently having a 1st responder sale. I wonder if they had some left over and decided to pass on the savings at the show. Wish I would've known, recently sold my 9mm shield (regret it but needed $$$ at the time) and want to get another.

Old 10-06-2015, 8:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURRIETA45 View Post
I know they were recently having a 1st responder sale. I wonder if they had some left over and decided to pass on the savings at the show. Wish I would've known, recently sold my 9mm shield (regret it but needed $$$ at the time) and want to get another.

Give them a call, tell them some guy on Calguns told you that he bought one at the show and see if they have any left. Worse they say is no, best is yes. I don't know the Quantico guys, but they seemed nice enough, and Calguns is well known, maybe if they have one they will do it for the good will.

Sort of like in Golf I belong to Greenskeeper.org. I have been surprised by the extra perks golf courses will give when they know your on a major social board. With tax and fees $347 for quality manufactures gun is really hard to beat.
Old 10-06-2015, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantar2 View Post
Give them a call, tell them some guy on Calguns told you that he bought one at the show and see if they have any left. Worse they say is no, best is yes. I don't know the Quantico guys, but they seemed nice enough, and Calguns is well known, maybe if they have one they will do it for the good will.

I plan on giving them a call tomorrow. Thanks for putting it out there!

Mark

Old 10-06-2015, 10:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

That's less than we pay for them though S&W's discounted stocking dealer program, so... Nice find!
Old 10-07-2015, 5:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I called Quntico to see if the price they had for mags online was the same as it would be in the store when I show up Tuesday to pick up my gun. The answer was no.. it was less, they give a discount when you buy mags when picking up the gun.

I typically have a min 4 mags, and like to have 8 so that I can shoot competitions, I like to spend time watching the better shooters and not reloading. Usually arrive with my mags loaded.

I regularly shoot my main carry .40 S&W M&P in the Thursday night steel (pappery) matches at Iron Sights, and IDPA matches. My plan is to shoot the Shield the same way.
The guy on the phone quoted me (3), 8 round mags for $78 when I pick up the gun. With the money I saved on the price of the gun will be able to stock up on mags. Plus I don't like the way the gun feels in my hand with the 7 round mag, so am really looking forward to have the 8 rounders with the grip extension.

Last edited by grantar2; 10-07-2015 at 5:43 PM..
Old 10-14-2015, 2:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

OK, got my Shield out of jail, and took it over to On-Target to start the break in process.

First off I had never bought anything from Quantico Tactical before the last Del Mar Gun Show, but what a really nice outfit, and knowledgeable. The drive down to Oceanside was pleasant, got to the store about 10:15am and was one of only two customers there. They were fast, efficient, and friend. In and out in about 15min, and part of that was just chit chat, the rest was reserving some 8 round mags since they were out of stock. As part of the deal, not only did I get the gun for $299, but was able to order 8 (8 round) mags for $25each. I will be notified when there in. Since I frequently shoot Thursday nights at Iron Sights with the Oceanside Pistol Club, picking them up won't be a bother.

Full disclosure, I am primarily and M&P shooter, and as such liked the feel of the Shield with the 8 round every time I have had the opportunity to shoot one. Previous models I have shot didn't have the tactile round in the chamber indicator. I like it. It doesn't interfere with any of the holsters I have tried it in today. Will wait to see how it impacts disassembly and cleaning.

The safety deactivates smoothly much like my 1911's, just not much of a lever, but what is there sweeps easily off. Putting the safety back on is more work, and I could not reliably do so one handed, without looking this afternoon.

During reloading the slide did not want to release by depressing the slide stop, but rather it was easier and faster to grab the slide on the serrations and rack it to seat the round

I had been warned loading a mag for the fist time could be a bear, and it was. Softened up at the end of 100 rounds, but they are a pain to load.

Out of the box it had good combat accuracy to 20 yards, but over all I was printing low and left. My guess is that was likely me.

My buddy had replaced the trigger on his with an Apex kit. I don't have any complaints with the trigger on my gun. Longish travel, but clean break, and smooth easily felt reset.

I like the performance of the gun. Look forward to getting the additional mags and going to Iron Sights and shooting the Steely paper match or and IDPA Sunday match with it.

Do wish OC would expand to the 5 guns on the permit that was being discussed at the beginning of the year, but I think the revolver is going to get replaced on my permit.
Old 10-14-2015, 3:12 PM

Default Great deal on CCW gun today in Del Mar

Very cool. Glad you're happy with the Shield. I wish that I didn't sell mine. Quantico is out of the 9mm version but still has some of the .40 cal versions left (per email response). I was told the price was good until the end of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by MURRIETA45; 10-14-2015 at 3:17 PM..
Old 10-14-2015, 3:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURRIETA45 View Post
Very cool. Glad you're happy with the Shield. I wish that I didn't sell mine. Quantico is out of the 9mm version but still has some of the .40 cal versions left (per email response). I was told the price was good until the end of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool, I should have asked well I was down there, but was just really interested in getting mine down to the range.

They really made it one of the nicest gun buying experiences I have ever had. Everything from having a chair well I filled out the paperwork to having my gun ready at hand for pick up this morning. Everything in military order,

I usually go .40 S&W, but was looking for a light weight package. The only other 9mm I have is my old Star B. But we buy bulk 9mm because my youngest daughter (27) shoots 9mm. My oldest is a wheel gun person so she insists on .38/.357, as both the revolver and her rifle match, yeah she's a lever action person. Four shooters in the house, no one agrees on caliber. Took some ribbing on choosing 9mm.