Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-06-2006, 9:05 PM
Veteran Member

Default I just bought a Vulcan arms V-15 lower and have info on it too good to be true!

Vulcan AR-15 crap rifles are a waste of money but their lower receivers are FAR from crap. I just recently bought a couple AR receivers, mostly the standard aluminum but I had to buy a vulcan for the following reasons: At $140, this is the cheapest AR-15 lower i've ever seen. Its also a better carbon fiber in terms of rigidity and sheer strength than the bushmaster ones. I could not resist buying one because my FFL dealer showed me footage of one of his Nevada friends literally torture testing one. First they placed a full auto m-16 parts kit on it and fired away, threw it, dropped it, stepped on it and it worked great. the receiver just showed the scratches from its abuse but was perfectly structurally sound. Then they placed a Shrike LMG upper on it and fired away again, dropped it again, kicked it, ect......... worked fine. This was pretty cool but it was pretty obvious that the receiver would handle any kind of 5.56 fire cuz its designed for it. I was not, however, expecting to see these guys strip the receiver back down and place a .50 caliber upper in it and fire away. They eventually had to stop firing from sore shoulders but the receiver was just fine. It it was ever to break then it would have then. lol. I was immediately sold on this cheap but impressive lower. Just thought i'd let everyone know in case you wanted to build an AR on a budget but are worried about quality.
Old 09-06-2006, 9:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

That's nice to know but not terribly relevant. Lower receivers on ARs really don't get much wear at all from firing.

The bigger wear will be - esp for fixed mag Californicated versions - around the pivot and takedown pin areas during frequent break-open cycles. I'd expect these holes to eventually really wear given the hardness of the pivot pin and takedown pin.

Also, the real worry is how the lower behaves if something blows.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 09-06-2006, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

Stag, CMMG, RRA, Double Star and Superior Arms lowers can all be had for under $140
Old 09-06-2006, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

LOL. i'm sure they can be had under $140. This was $140 after tax, dros, and transfer fees.
Old 09-06-2006, 9:57 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake87
LOL. i'm sure they can be had under $140. This was $140 after tax, dros, and transfer fees.
i picked up quite a few Stags and a Double Star for less than $140 each...tax, dros, and FFL fees included.
Old 09-06-2006, 9:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
they placed a full auto m-16 parts kit on it and fired away

They... um.... filled out the form 4 and paid for the tax stamp first right?

The troublemaker formerly known as Blackwater OPS.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:45 PM

There not Crap man they shoot

QUOTE=Solidsnake87]Vulcan AR-15 crap rifles are a waste of money but their lower receivers are FAR from crap. I just recently bought a couple AR receivers, mostly the standard aluminum but I had to buy a vulcan for the following reasons: At $140, this is the cheapest AR-15 lower i've ever seen. Its also a better carbon fiber in terms of rigidity and sheer strength than the bushmaster ones. I could not resist buying one because my FFL dealer showed me footage of one of his Nevada friends literally torture testing one. First they placed a full auto m-16 parts kit on it and fired away, threw it, dropped it, stepped on it and it worked great. the receiver just showed the scratches from its abuse but was perfectly structurally sound. Then they placed a Shrike LMG upper on it and fired away again, dropped it again, kicked it, ect......... worked fine. This was pretty cool but it was pretty obvious that the receiver would handle any kind of 5.56 fire cuz its designed for it. I was not, however, expecting to see these guys strip the receiver back down and place a .50 caliber upper in it and fire away. They eventually had to stop firing from sore shoulders but the receiver was just fine. It it was ever to break then it would have then. lol. I was immediately sold on this cheap but impressive lower. Just thought i'd let everyone know in case you wanted to build an AR on a budget but are worried about quality.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Calguns Addict

As I mentioned many times before, one of mine was out of spec and crappy finish; the second was in spec with so so finish.
Old 09-07-2006, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwater OPS

They... um.... filled out the form 4 and paid for the tax stamp first right?
Maybe they stuck a RDIAS in it.
Old 09-07-2006, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidsnake87
At $140, this is the cheapest AR-15 lower i've ever seen.
Sorry, Vulcan is crap. Even if their raw material starts out as a standard forging, Vulcan's machine shop produces some of the sloppiest work I've ever seen.

Stag lower recievers for $95:

http://www.eaglefirearms.net/stag_arms.htm
Old 09-08-2006, 7:19 PM

I got a couple of Carbon V-15's a while back for $69 each. To make a long story short, while building them up, all the parts fit perfectly and no problems were encountered and they shoot just the same.

Wondering how well they wear in the take down pin areas for the fixed mag versions and in the mag well area for the "evil feature" less detachable mag versions?
...Robert...
Old 09-08-2006, 7:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe
that place has great prices on alot of products, BUT, they won't ship lowers to CA....
Old 04-22-2008, 7:09 PM

im terrible about reviving old threads, but i figured since its here, i might as well comment. recently i bought 2 of the vulcan AR-15 lowers locally. i als ( before buying these) bought a DPMS, and a stag. to be quite honest, the vulcan lowers are as good a quality as any of the others. finish is perfect, a DPMS lower kit dropped right in without a hitch,no problems at all.fit was perfect with 3 different uppers. (ms sales,DPMS and bushmaster) and i think there great. i paid 120.00 bucks apiece for them out the door for the vulcans.

anyway, just a QC update
Old 04-22-2008, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Are you into necrophilia?
Old 04-22-2008, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain View Post
im terrible about reviving old threads, but i figured since its here, i might as well comment. recently i bought 2 of the vulcan AR-15 lowers locally. i als ( before buying these) bought a DPMS, and a stag. to be quite honest, the vulcan lowers are as good a quality as any of the others. finish is perfect, a DPMS lower kit dropped right in without a hitch,no problems at all.fit was perfect with 3 different uppers. (ms sales,DPMS and bushmaster) and i think there great. i paid 120.00 bucks apiece for them out the door for the vulcans.
A Vulcan lower, DPMS parts kit and a Model 1 Sales upper. You really pulled out all the stops on that build, eh?

This must be a trap...

Last edited by Ryan HBC; 04-22-2008 at 7:55 PM..
Old 04-22-2008, 8:05 PM
CGN Contributor

holy thread resurrection batman!!!

For what its worth, I was with solid when he bought that and I picked one up at the same time (my first lower). I dont have the rifle anymore, but the lower never did me any harm
----------------------------
With my feet upon the ground, I move myself between the sound and Open wide to suck it in I feel It move across my skin
Old 04-22-2008, 9:40 PM

If I remember right I got my stag lower 111.00 out the door

Richard
"This country with it's institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing goverment, they can excercise their constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismemember or overthrow it."
Abe Lincoln

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

“Liberalism is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.”
unknown
Old 04-22-2008, 9:53 PM
then there's classified.

Location: You know that line of dare-devils going 70 in the fast lane? I'm behind them, gorram it!
Talking

But that was 2006 dollars.

Now it's worth at least two cases of beanie weenies and two of Schlitz.

Not including CRV.......

It’s actually kind of beautiful that in America a large group of people known for owning guns are only feared because they vote.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
― Harlan Ellison
Old 04-22-2008, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

Kill it now and put it out of its misery!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Did you just say you bought a DPMS lower?
Old 04-23-2008, 6:22 AM

Have two vulcan lowers they both run great.
Old 04-23-2008, 1:24 PM

I have five Vulcan lowers, all run fine.
And I paid $99. each, at a time during the "two weeks!" panic, when Stag's and Double Star's were going for $350~$400. each.
Old 04-23-2008, 7:51 PM

Is it true that the vulcan v-15 comes with a DOJ approval letter?

If so does anyone have a copy of said letter for viewing on the forum?
Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
.................................................. ...........................
Also, the real worry is how the lower behaves if something blows.

In my opinion, it might shoot splinters everywhere like a frag grenade. Since the aluminum recievers are forged, it probably has a smaller chance and might just bulge. But then again, these blow outs have a lot of pressure behind them... Lets see a pressure test side by side!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip3757 View Post

The older fixed mag ones might have, although mine didn't. I know that the FAB10's did.
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home, let me die in an empty pile of brass.
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gif
NRA Member
Old 04-24-2008, 4:50 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaplinker View Post
Did you just say you bought a DPMS lower?

I wanna know too..........Did you?

Last edited by ZombieKiller; 04-24-2008 at 4:50 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 04-24-2008, 5:09 AM

i was thinkibng about the DPMS lower KIT when i typed that..lol...its a RRA lower. i bought a stag lower, a RRA and the vulcans..my bad....

and yes, i bought a model 1 sales upper....thats another one that got the hammer in bad raps. the upper i bought is an OUTSTANDING shooter. 1 hole groups all day and the quality is perfect. only thing i didnt like about it is it had the 24" extra bull barrel and was extremely front heavy, so i sent it out to have it whacked off to 18". the actual UPPER receiver there using to build there upper units is DPMS just in case your unaware (or at least the one i got is from what i was told. i dont know if they order from others or not or how they do there stuff). i have a place that i can buy the DPMS LPK's for 42 bucks, so thats what i use.

what get me is that some of these companies hit a stint of bad QC or someone just gets a bad one, and all of the sudden, the companies stigmatized for life as being a "junk dealer". before i bought the vulcan lowers, i did alot of research on them ( i read every single thread i could on the internet about them, every one i could find) and the ONLY bad thing i could find was 3 or 4 people had tried to assemble them and broken the trigger guard ears that the pin goes thru. well what i found that was funny is that when i assembled mine, i had 3 LPK on hand, and pulled the trigger guard pins out of each one, and checked them against the holes in the lower. 2 of the 3 were to big. the third one was a perfect fit. so, ive deducted from that that it might not be a QC issue or whatever in the past with the vulcan lowers, BUT that the roll pins are not always the same specs, and when some guys put there powers together that maybe there giving it a bit to much umph when they try to put the pin in. when i put the other lowers together, i also checked the pins, and they were a bit to big. what i did is i took the pin and tapped it on one end a bit closing up just the slit in the tip on one side so it fit snug starting out in the hole. i then wrapped the jaws of a set of needle nose vise grips and slowly squeezed the pins in.worked like a charm.

alot of guys cant afford to put out $3000 to build a rifle.for what some of these ARs cost you could buy a da*mn 50BMG. yes, the higher dollar parts may be/are much better quality, but theres no reason to call perfectly good parts "junk" just because they dont cost 5 times more than they do. the rifles ive put together are all tight as a drum, and all shoot great. that model 1 sales upper is superb for the money. fit and finish are perfect, and it puts out 1 hole groups all day. i sent it to CRTGuns to have the barrel cut back and recrowned. maybe he can look at it and post as to what he thinks the quality is on it.

Last edited by Kaptain; 04-24-2008 at 5:23 AM..
Old 04-24-2008, 5:46 AM

you know, i been a gun dealer and 'smith for years. in all of that time, ive sold thousands of guns, and ive seen quality problems in just about every major manufacter. i remeber whe n kimbers forst started getting popular, id have one out of about every 4-5 customers bring there guns back after purchase because of problems with fit,FTF,FTE,etc. i sent countless kimbers back to the manufacter for repair. people cowed about there QC and all the problems, but look at them now. i had quite a few guns from about every major manufacter go back because of problems. that doesnt mean that ALL of there stuff is junk. quality control is a funny thing. most companies have several people who work QC, and each and every one has different personal standards they go by. i also worked for RCBS reloading for quite some time. we had the same problem there. if you have a rock chuckar II that you purchased in the mid-90s, i probably set the machine up and cut the sucker. some thin gs sneak past, not much you can do.

point is, unless you have PERSONAL experience with a bad product, its unfair to point to it and say its junk......its all a mater of personal experience.

for years, ive hunted deer with 22 centerfires, 22 hornet,222 and 223. theres always been an issue online about how "unethical" it was, and how the 222 and 223 are to small for deer. one day, i found a thread where there was this big heated discussion about how the 223 was way to small, and it wounded more game than it killed ( ive never had to track a deer or lost one, asnd ive killed probably 100 deer over the years with a 222 and 223),etc. i piped in and asked the guys "how do you know, how many deer have you shot/wounded and/or lost by shooting it with a 22 centerfire"?....what i found out was not ONE SINGLE PERSON THERE had ever shot a deer with a 222 or 223, they were just REPEATING WHAT THEY HEARD SOMEWERE ELSE. i could post pictures of the deer ive killed with a 22 centerfire and some of the actual damage, but that might not be appropriate for this site..lol...point is, when you get into a discussion on how crappy something is, or whatever, dont post what youve "heard" ,post what you KNOW, from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. ive found that most of the time by the time an issue circulates around the web, it always ends up getting inflated and exaggerated by the time it get retold a few times. when people are talking about things like QC issues and actual problems with a piece, what id like to see is actual PHOTOS and first hand accounts, not what john smith said he heard from joe bob,that had a friends cousin who knew a guy who read on line that someone might have had a problem with something. those sort of things are worthless.

if you go to google and type in 'vulcan AR-15 lower problems" this is what you get

http://www.google.com/search?q=vulca...ient=firefox-a

if you actually take the time to look and read, youll find thats theres not as many problems and complaints about vulcan as you think there are, and the quality is a wee bit better than there given credit for.i think that what happened with vulcan is that early on there might have been a bunch of QC problems or something, but once a jacket is hung on a manufacter like that, even if they eventually build the best stuff in the world, theres still that monkey on there back so to speak. id be happy to get together with anyone whos interested in the quality of the stuff ive got and let them pick it over with a fine tooth comb and then decide. ive got a 4 mile range out here behind my place, and you can shoot till your hearts content.

Last edited by Kaptain; 04-24-2008 at 5:58 AM..
Old 04-24-2008, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip3757 View Post

i didnt get any letters with mine. NOTHING AR-15 is "DOJ approved" as far as i know.

i9 do know that if you call and ask to speak to "bob" he will give you the complete run down on the legalities of the OLL and what you can and can NOT do with them. as a gun dealer, ive had ample conversations with DOJ over the years, and had a 2 hour conversation with "bob" at DOJ some time back. he esentually told me that the OLL guns were pefectly legal. he also told me that DOJ has already decided that ,in light of the decision that made these OLL OK to own and build in california, and that because of the fact that all a manufacter has to do to,if banned,etc to make a lower legal within the state again is change the name and it would be futile to do so, and because of the fact that MORE AR-15 OLLs have been sold in the state in the last few years than all registered assault weapons within the state COMBINED, that DOJ had a "meeting" and that the consensus is that they will NEVER ATTEMPT to put the currently sold OLL on a "banned" list. i was also told that eventually, in light of the same decision that someone will take them to court AGAIN and get the whole assault weapons crap thrown out. he said all it would take is a group with a bit of kahonas as presidence is already there, and it wouldnt be hard to do.

he also said that DOJ will not under any circumstances issue any sort of "letter" anymore stating the legality of specifics in firearms because the courts have esentually decided that the DOJ doesnt have the 'authority" that everyone thought they did when it comes to guns, and they dont make the laws or determine whats legal or not, the courts do that.

i had a dealer awhile back locally tell me that he had had a "recent" conversation with DOJ and they told him that ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING,LESS SEALED MAG WELL" ARs were totally ILLEGAL. i gave him bobs name and number at DOJ and bob told him everything was kewl and he had no worries. when i spoke to the dealer again, he said that even though he had been given the go-ahead by DOJ, that there was still a chance ( not that im aware of in shasta county) of the DA comming down on him for dealing with them, and that the only way HE would deal with them is if the buyer would put up money in escrow for attoneys fees...what a joke.

Last edited by Kaptain; 04-24-2008 at 6:25 AM..
Old 04-24-2008, 12:16 PM

something i find kind of hilarious

I STAND CORRECTED ON calling model 1 sales uppers DPMS,i found out today that there actually made by FN, or i should say by the company who MAKES FN's upper receivers.. as FN themselves is bound by government contract and doesnt supply AR parts to anyone but military and goobernment....so the qualities there.

Last edited by Kaptain; 04-24-2008 at 12:19 PM..
Old 04-24-2008, 1:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
something i find kind of hilarious

I STAND CORRECTED ON calling model 1 sales uppers DPMS,i found out today that there actually made by FN, or i should say by the company who MAKES FN's upper receivers.. as FN themselves is bound by government contract and doesnt supply AR parts to anyone but military and goobernment....so the qualities there.
This is one argument I absolutely can not agree with. That's like saying a Fiat is the same as the Ferrari F1 cars, since they're made by the same company.

They might be made by the same company of the same materials, but that does NOT mean they had the same QC as the military parts.

In this business quality control is everything.

That's why bottom feeders like Model 1 Sales sound great - FN uppers, mil contractor barrels, etc etc etc, but when parts from random sources of unknown quality get put together with limited QC at bargain basement prices, the chances of problems is big.

Buy quality if you want it right. If you're willing to gamble, then by all means buy M1A or DTI. It's your money and your choice. I would rather pay up front for something that has been inspected and QC'd.
Old 04-25-2008, 4:04 AM

id be happy to take a dozen pix of one or two of the vulcan lowers i have if you like and you can decide if you like.

have you ever owned a vulcan lower?...from what i understand there QC used to be crappy years ago, but since have cleaned there act up. im not the only one saying there quality is good, theres alot of people on here and elsewere that ended up buying them because they found out that the bad quality issue wasnt accurate. same thing with the model 1 uppers. lots of talk about how bad the quality is, but no real proof, and 90% of the talk comming from people who are "repeating" what they heard online. unless a person can back up what they say with PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, its literally worthless when it comes to things like this. like i said, id be happy to take as many photos as anyone likes of anything they like on the receiver so they can see first hand rather than a bunch of heresay
Old 04-25-2008, 4:21 AM

you can get lowers for 110.00
Old 04-25-2008, 6:28 AM

sure, but i dont think this issue is anything really to do with "price" i think its a quality issue. alot of people knock the heck out of vulcan lowers, but like i said, its not from personal experiences, but from what they have read online. i pulled a couple of mine out this morning, just to prove a point.

i went over them literally with a magnifying glass, and i couldnt find one single tool mark,blemish, or inconsistency in the quality of the receivers or the finish.....funny thing is my bushmaster is poorer quality. all the parts fit perfectly and function as designed.

firstly, vulcan lower receivers are FORGED, not cast. back in the day, they USED to be cast, but BACK IN THE DAY they had serious QUALITY CONTROL problems, and they went to 7075T6 forgings.the QC problems changed quite some time back.

Old 04-25-2008, 6:43 AM

i had to continue my post because of to many pix. heres the rest of them

now, look at the pictures. someone tell me what 'quality control" problems you see. i dont see anything at all. the frames hard anodized, and the quality and color is very consistant. no blemishes, ,color is quite even and perfect. these arent "teflon painted" like some ive seen, there fully anodized. solid forging. no tool marks, no nicks, no anything. every part ive installed in a vulcan ( with the exeption of inconsistant ROLL PINS for the trigger guard-ill comment more on this later) have fit absolutely perfect without a problem. i mik'ed 3 frames, and there consistancy is perfect and identical in every way. now, what you have is

1.) a Lower receiver made from certified 7075T6 forging
2.) very consistant color and finish
3.) very close and consistant tollerances in the pins (all pins, including pivot and breakdown pins). all parts fit perfectly and function AS INTENDED.

i dont have time to take pics of the lower with an upper on it ( they fit perfectly with no wobble) this morning, but i will tomorrow when i get a chance.

so my question is this...wheres the poor quality?....i dont see it. like i stated previously, i do know that in the PAST they had some QC issues, but there current lower receivers are great. i have a brother in law and son in law in iraq right now. my brother in law is a ranger, and a sergent major. i spoke to him yesterday afternoon, and i asked him if he knew anything about "vulcan arms" and there AR-15 lower receivers. he told me that several of the guys under his command have fulton armory V15 rifles and they shoot them all of the time, and he said that not one single guy has complaned about them. like i said before, i thin k this whole 'poor quality vulcan armory lowers" thing came from a long time ago when they used crappy cast lowers, and stigmatized them. what your hearing poor quality now is some old tired chit that someones read on line some time ago and is repeating, not from first hand experience at all.

when i have several of the vulcan lowers sitting here, and have examined each one completely and found absolutely no issues with any of them, i think its going to be impossible to convince me that the quality is terrible. also if you do some checking youll see others have posted that there receivers are also fine QCwise and have had no issues. and as far as pressure goes, be it forged or cast, either way, if it blows up for some reason, your screwed regardless.

Last edited by Kaptain; 04-25-2008 at 6:51 AM..
Old 04-25-2008, 6:47 AM

For all of those that hammer on teh V-15 lowers: I sent a STAG back because it was dimensionally incorrect; I had to send it back and get a replacement.

None of the 3 Vulcan lowers I own had that problem. Does that make me come on teh internets and bash them, nope, because I'm more realistic than that. Of course, all the stag fanbois would then bash me for blasphemy...
Old 04-25-2008, 6:52 AM

maybe someone else can look the pictures over and point out any QC issues they soo becauxse i dont see one.

comments?
Old 04-25-2008, 6:56 AM

i think its like the difference between ford and chevy,harley and honda,etc

just because you prefer a specific brand doesnt mean the other is garbage, it means you like one better than the other.some lowers have that "teflon painted look" and some have the "hard anodized" look . i prefer the later rather than the painted look myself. finish preference has no bearing or effect on quality of the item itself. you could have a 2008 corvette thats primers black, and one thats birght red/gold 3 stage with ghost flames. the bright red fancy paint doesnt make the car run any better or go any faster. one guy just prefers primer and one red paint.

funny you should mention sending that specific brand of lower back because it was dimensionally incorrect. ive heard the same thing myself from a couple of other people.

i hope that this all puts the "poor QC" crap to bed on the vulcan lowers. i dont see a thing wrong with any of them i have.

if someones had a QC issue with a NEW FORGED vulcan lower, id love to heard about it

Last edited by Kaptain; 04-25-2008 at 7:02 AM..
Old 04-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
i had to continue my post because of to many pix. heres the rest of them

now, look at the pictures. someone tell me what 'quality control" problems you see. i dont see anything at all. the frames hard anodized, and the quality and color is very consistant. no blemishes, ,color is quite even and perfect. these arent "teflon painted" like some ive seen, there fully anodized. solid forging. no tool marks, no nicks, no anything. every part ive installed in a vulcan ( with the exeption of inconsistant ROLL PINS for the trigger guard-ill comment more on this later) have fit absolutely perfect without a problem. i mik'ed 3 frames, and there consistancy is perfect and identical in every way. now, what you have is

1.) a Lower receiver made from certified 7075T6 forging
2.) very consistant color and finish
3.) very close and consistant tollerances in the pins (all pins, including pivot and breakdown pins). all parts fit perfectly and function AS INTENDED.

i dont have time to take pics of the lower with an upper on it ( they fit perfectly with no wobble) this morning, but i will tomorrow when i get a chance.

so my question is this...wheres the poor quality?....i dont see it. like i stated previously, i do know that in the PAST they had some QC issues, but there current lower receivers are great. i have a brother in law and son in law in iraq right now. my brother in law is a ranger, and a sergent major. i spoke to him yesterday afternoon, and i asked him if he knew anything about "vulcan arms" and there AR-15 lower receivers. he told me that several of the guys under his command have fulton armory V15 rifles and they shoot them all of the time, and he said that not one single guy has complaned about them. like i said before, i thin k this whole 'poor quality vulcan armory lowers" thing came from a long time ago when they used crappy cast lowers, and stigmatized them. what your hearing poor quality now is some old tired chit that someones read on line some time ago and is repeating, not from first hand experience at all.

when i have several of the vulcan lowers sitting here, and have examined each one completely and found absolutely no issues with any of them, i think its going to be impossible to convince me that the quality is terrible. also if you do some checking youll see others have posted that there receivers are also fine QCwise and have had no issues. and as far as pressure goes, be it forged or cast, either way, if it blows up for some reason, your screwed regardless.
Nice pictures.

Glad Robert made you some nice receivers.

Issue is not quality control...Consider the company is on it's 3rd name change. Consider the reason is a relatively complete lack of customer service and/or support. I'm writing this as someone who's assembled more than 20 Hesse/Vulcan rifle "kits" for customers. 13 ran well when assembled, 7 were pos's and were returned for credit...s/n's were widely separated, it was not a "we-just-had-a-problem-with-one-batch" deal. I agree generally with what is usually written about H/V on the web since I experienced it first-hand.

Hesse's anecdotally fixed his prior lack of process control, and maybe his inability to verify a part is made to tolerance before it's shipped.

No big deal on the forged v. cast thing...Olympic may be the only maker of cast receivers at this time; other "milspec" lowers are forgings, a few are machined from the solid (billet).

You apparently haven't experienced Hesse's skill in maintaining customer relationships when a customer calls and want's to return a receiver for credit; unfortuneately you've only read about it on the internet, apparently. You have noticed, I think, his reputation does precede him.

It's nice you got good product. You do stand a far greater chance of getting a bummer ar receiver from Hesse than elsewhere, though. Good work.

You could still buy a HELL of a lot better lower. Using a Hesse upper would scare me poop-less

-hanko

I never once felt out of place or that people were intolerant...but then again, I didn't ask any dumbass questions ...saxman

“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
Mark Twain
Old 04-25-2008, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
Issue is not quality control...
i actually had to deal with then several years ago on a FAL i had. i didnt experience any customer service problems at all. i sent the rifle to them, and i had it back within 10 days.

and yes, the main issue being discussed here IS quality control. actually this is the first ive personally heard/read about customer service problems myself. everything ive ever read thats had to do with them has been about so called "inferior" lower receivers with lots of "quality control issues" ( i.e., receiver out of specs,etc and finish complaints). i can not intelligently comment on any RECENT customer service contacts with them myself, but to be honest, as cheap as AR lowers are, if i had one that i broke, i wouldnt even worry about customer service, id probably sledge it and toss it in the garbage or something.

the receivers i have i bought specifically with consecutive serial numbers ( no real reason, just because i could) so at least the "block" of serial numbers i have are good.

one thing i have to mention though is that just because a company has crappy customer service or refuses to repair a firearm, even a new one, doesnt mean there products are junk. under the Magnuson waranty act, its REAL hard to find even one single firearms manufacter that will offer any sort of waranty whatsoever on there firearms or parts. even companies like ruger,etc will tell you no waranty, BUT we will repair a new firearm if its defective. its a hit and miss thing. the only reason i got so in depth about this whole thing is because everyone hollers that there (vulcans) AR lowers are junk, and i cant see that in the stuff ive got. it sounds to me like the issue with them is that they have crappy customer service, and someone at one time had a bad experience with them, and instead of the story about bad customer service, it snowballed up into bad products. 2 different things in my book. all companies cant be like snap on or craftsmen.....hahah..i DO know that years ago when the company was hesse that yes, they DID put out some absolutely chitty arse products. 8 years ago or so, you couldnt GIVE a hesse FAL away. when i had mine, i had a problem with it failing to fire once in awhile and i sent it back, and i got it back fairly quickly. worked ok after that , but when

but one other thing id like to comment on.....whats the model 1 sales bashing? ive only had experience with the one upper setup i bought ( i actually bought it from galati) and man, it is a sweetheart. i got the heavy extra bull barrel (.900) in stainless 223 and it shoots one hole groups all day long from my harris bipod. from what i understand, they build there upper receiver packages from DPMS upper receivers and E.R.Shaw barrels. from what i understand , both companies are really good. do people bash Model 1 sales for the same thing as vulcan (good product,bad customer service but after its repeated 5 times it auctomatically gets exaggerated to bad product?)

??????????

i have absolutely no complaints with my stuff fron them sofar, exept the 24
" extra heavy" bull barrel must have had some extra heavy thrown in there somewere cause the one i got was like packin a large lead brick around. i had it whacked off to 18" and recessed target crowned which knocked about a pound and a half off of it. i should have it back tomorrow sometime so when it gets here, i have to remount my scope and take it to the range and check zero. maybe ill take a bunch of photos while im out there