Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-06-2011, 6:27 PM

Default Benelli M2 Tac or Mossberg 930 SPX?

I'm hoping that you all can provide information that will help me make a decision on which one to buy.

I'm looking at both. I've read reviews and asked at gun stores (little help). I liked the way the Benelli felt, very light. The Mossberg is cheaper. I know of the problems Mossberg has had with the front sight which are all probably resolved by now.

I'm aware of the difference in price. If I decide on the Benelli, I'll just have to save a few months longer.

Whatever I choose will be a home defense gun as well as something to use at the range.

Anyone?
Durwin
Old 02-06-2011, 6:35 PM

Thought about the FN SLP?
Old 02-06-2011, 7:29 PM

Have you held an SPX? Unless you really tighten the magazine extension on it, there's going to be some play in the fore end. It bothers some people, doesn't bother even more. Something to think about. Also, if you go with the M2, you'll have to make sure it stays 922r compliant.

Medals grow on the trees, right where they bury heroes.
Old 02-06-2011, 8:59 PM

If you have money to burn, go Benelli. Otherwise buy the SPX and spend the difference in training and ammo! The SLP was a good choice too, if you have $300 more dollars than you NEED to spend on a dependable gas operated, tactical SG (BTW the Benelli M-2 will kick harder, it's not a gas gun, the M-4 or model 1014 is).
The Benelli and SLP will give you one option the Mossberg can't and that is screw in chokes. So if having adjustable chokes for your gun is important to you (not to me - it's a tactical gun not a sporting piece.) then don't get the SPX.
Old 02-06-2011, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossbergMan View Post
If you have money to burn, go Benelli. Otherwise buy the SPX and spend the difference in training and ammo! The SLP was a good choice too, if you have $300 more dollars than you NEED to spend on a dependable gas operated, tactical SG (BTW the Benelli M-2 will kick harder, it's not a gas gun, the M-4 or model 1014 is).
The Benelli and SLP will give you one option the Mossberg can't and that is screw in chokes. So if having adjustable chokes for your gun is important to you (not to me - it's a tactical gun not a sporting piece.) then don't get the SPX.
That depends on what kind of tactics are involved. In many situations all you want is an open cylinder, but in others where you wish to limit collateral damage you may need a choke. I believe some LEOs prefer an improved cylinder. In the unique situation that you need to reach out a bit further and get someone's attention, a combat shotgun can benefit from an even tighter choke. Then there are the door breecher chokes.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Your HD gun should be a pump. Rem 870 and be done.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Out of the box and on balance, the Benelli is likely the best bang for your buck. The 930SPX needs break in and, as noted, won't take choke tubes but the trade off with the M2 is the inertia driven action which is going to let you know when it runs.

I like to tinker, shoot as much as I can afford to and I always look for a good price, so I'd likely go with the Mossberg in this case.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 02-07-2011, 9:46 AM

I'd go Benelli M2 because of the entire system you get for your $$. It comes with 5 Crio chokes and Hard chrome barrels, adjustable stock for drop and pitch.
Its a solid proven action and light weight. Easily modded.. its the Chevy Short Block. If you search diligently you can find a deal.

I bought a NIB Benelli M2 w/21 inch barrel and Comfortech stock for $800. on Gunbroker and thats a hard to find barrel length. I modded the bolt carrier easily and the shell release easily myself it loads super slick and will "Ghost load" an extra round on the carrier.....
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Benelli.
Kevin
Old 02-07-2011, 1:11 PM

I have been a 1100CM owner and still have several 870's for HD.
I looked hard at the FN SLP, no pistol grip from factory, yet.
Looked hard at the Mossberg 930, excellent choice also, Benny Hill is modifying them for 3 gun competition, he was the go to guy for Benelli mods.
I shot the M2 Benelli Salient. End of story. Bought one. They do kick more than a gas operated shotgun, but so fast and easy to clean compared to a gas shotgun.
Bladewurk got a hell of a deal. No more 21" around. Salient has bought them all up for their modifications and resell.
Old 02-07-2011, 7:02 PM

I think I'm going to go with the Benelli.
The ability to customize (922) and the chokes did it. Plus the Benelli is a little lighter.

Thanks everyone,
Durwin
Old 02-07-2011, 7:48 PM

buy a benelli m1 not m2 for less simple great gun...
Old 02-07-2011, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladewurk View Post
I'd go Benelli M2 because of the entire system you get for your $$. It comes with 5 Crio chokes and Hard chrome barrels, adjustable stock for drop and pitch.
Its a solid proven action and light weight. Easily modded.. its the Chevy Short Block. If you search diligently you can find a deal.

I bought a NIB Benelli M2 w/21 inch barrel and Comfortech stock for $800. on Gunbroker and thats a hard to find barrel length. I modded the bolt carrier easily and the shell release easily myself it loads super slick and will "Ghost load" an extra round on the carrier.....
+1. have had 870's and 1100's since i was a kid. bought a benelli m2 tactical when they first came out and have since sold all my remi's and replaced them with benelli's. it's all i hunt with now. buy one you won't regret it.

http://m14hdw.proboards.com/index.cgi

http://www.sageebr.com/
Old 02-08-2011, 3:31 AM
Veteran Member

Buy the m2!!!!!

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 02-12-2011, 12:18 PM

M2 kicks more than a pump. Nice simple action. You might want to try out the comfortech version. Couldn't find any for rent though. Very tight patterns with 00 buckshot stock choke + the wad itself does some damage. The forearm is kind of fat.
HD really doesn't to change out the choke.
Old 02-12-2011, 1:28 PM

I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 tactical with pistol grip butt stock and love the thing! Remember though the gun was designed for heavy loads, 3 3/4 dram minimum. Anything lighter and you'll short stroke. As someone said earlier its not a true gas gun, Benelli calls it inertia driven which is very similar to blow back as I understand it. Its a very simple gun to strip and clean. Ive put tritium ghost rings and a side saddle on it since I use it for HD.

Last edited by desertmedic; 02-12-2011 at 1:30 PM..
Old 02-13-2011, 9:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you want semi, go with a Benelli M1 Tactical or Beretta 1201 FP3.