Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM

Default US Optics vs Schmidt and Bender

Looking at buying a high end scope anyone have any experience with either Schmidt and Bender or US Optics?
Old 02-06-2011, 1:06 PM

I've tried a schmidt from another calgunner here and like the feel of the turrets better. I was checking out the us optics at shot and liked the big drum turret on top, optics, and feel... but the windage turrets didn't feel as solid as schmidt. Us optics is based in Brea and that's close for me, though.
Old 02-06-2011, 1:09 PM

Do a search on the "Snipers hide" I think the S&B is a more refined product, the USO's look cobbled together, but there are those that swear by both. It really is a Ford vs. BMW thing. Also Steiner is making high end glass now, and would put them ahead of Hensoldt for the price and also because they come with zero stop.

You should look at the hide.
Old 02-06-2011, 1:14 PM
Veteran Member

March....
If you've got the dough.
Old 02-06-2011, 1:16 PM

never heard of March, I'll take a look
Old 02-06-2011, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

i have S&B's PMII 4x16-42 and Short Dot 1.1-4. love both of them. picture perfect clarity, excellent knobs, bright enough in full on day light reticle, couldn't ask for more. i have never used USO optics, but i have looked at them and think they are well put together, top notch optics as well.

but shouldn't this topic be in the optics forum and not in centerfire rifles?
Old 02-06-2011, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

brando is the one to ask on this subject.

For what it's worth here's a good review of all the top end optics from Iyla Koshkin.

http://opticsthoughts.com/index.php?...views&Itemid=4

Trouble with asking people which scope to get is similar to asking people which 1911 to get. People always end up naming the scope they own without giving the OP a real idea why it's a good choice over the other. The best thing to do is to get behind as many scopes as you can, try out all the features and see which scope suits you best.
Old 02-06-2011, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

I really don't see how you can make the comparison of USO to S&B as being ford to BMW, the USOs may appear cobbled together to you but they are built like tanks and will withstand just about any punishment you can throw at them.

I've also seen the results of an F-350 driving over a USO mounted on a GAP rifle, with the tire going directly over scope and receiver with the only damage being done was the bolt handle snapping off.

I'm not saying S&Bs aren't great, I'd put them on equal footing with the USO.
Old 02-06-2011, 1:32 PM
Veteran Member

Don't forget to look at Premier. USO, S&B, NF, and Premier seem to be the most talked about top tier scopes those are the ones I would look at.
Old 02-06-2011, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
brando is the one to ask on this subject.
+1 on that, ask brando.
Old 02-06-2011, 1:35 PM
In Memoriam

USO is the strongest freaking scope out there.

They are local and will talk to you.
Old 02-06-2011, 1:52 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, USOs are bombproof and their main advantage over S&B is their level of customization. Some dealers sell stock USO scopes - usually their most popular setups, otherwise they're pretty much made to order.

S&B is similarly expensive, but I prefer their turrets over every other scope manufacturer. The clarity of their glass is amazing too and noticeably better if you spend some time behind a NF or IOR scope, for example.

Bottom line - USO makes the most durable scopes out there and are highly customizeable, however wait times can be up to six months (I waited a year for my SN-9). S&Bs are stock and available all over the net - fantastic glass and turrets.
Old 02-06-2011, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Yeah, USOs are bombproof and their main advantage over S&B is their level of customization. Some dealers sell stock USO scopes - usually their most popular setups, otherwise they're pretty much made to order.

S&B is similarly expensive, but I prefer their turrets over every other scope manufacturer. The clarity of their glass is amazing too and noticeably better if you spend some time behind a NF or IOR scope, for example.

Bottom line - USO makes the most durable scopes out there and are highly customizeable, however wait times can be up to six months (I waited a year for my SN-9). S&Bs are stock and available all over the net - fantastic glass and turrets.
Are S&Bs as tank-like as USOs? And which would you say has better glass?

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 02-06-2011, 2:09 PM
Veteran Member

Glass is a close call. Personally I think S&B has the edge in that regard but I've never been behind a USO and said "this glass sucks." S&B is definitely durable - the PMII series are mil grade for sure. USOs are just made like tanks though, heavier but also even more durable.
Old 02-06-2011, 2:36 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Glass is a close call. Personally I think S&B has the edge in that regard but I've never been behind a USO and said "this glass sucks." S&B is definitely durable - the PMII series are mil grade for sure. USOs are just made like tanks though, heavier but also even more durable.
It is hard to beat the German glass on pure clarity. The Marines have adopted the S&B -- my buddy got one of his DTA -- Very sharp - but only had one range session with it --

The USO will make your scope in desert tan ceracote and OD green -- but for glass and knobs Brando has it right.
Old 02-06-2011, 3:33 PM
Calguns Addict

I've used both pretty extensively and you'd have to more or less nitpick to choose one over the other. If you want features that only USO offer the answer is simple, otherwise, you'll just have to use both and pick the one you like most. I can live with either one.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 02-06-2011, 3:34 PM
In Memoriam

I liken this to the Nightforce vs. Leupold Mark IV debate...
Old 02-06-2011, 3:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute View Post
I've used both pretty extensively and you'd have to more or less nitpick to choose one over the other. If you want features that only USO offer the answer is simple, otherwise, you'll just have to use both and pick the one you like most. I can live with either one.
+1, to talk crap about USO and never owning one is a pretty poor perception, I've owned many SN-3, SN-4 and ST-10, they are excellent scopes and excellent quality, I've handled S&B and they do look nice but have not own one so cannot comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I liken this to the Nightforce vs. Leupold Mark IV debate...
Seriously, a MKIV against a NXS.. I've played this game and NF wins, due to the MOA/MOA and the recticle selection, clarity is also much better... but it's reflexed in the price also, NF is 30-40% more than Leupy, not a fair comparison
Old 02-06-2011, 4:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You can't beat S&B with the glass and smoothness of everything. I like the MOA knobs and MOA recticle of the USO and coupled with all the options that are available but the waiting time kills it. For a rifle that will see little dirt, dust, and mud S&B would be very nice for a long distance rifle with a clear picture.

Last edited by Wnick308; 02-06-2011 at 4:26 PM.. Reason: Spelling Opps
Old 02-06-2011, 4:52 PM

thanks for all the input -

One question though. Many have said that there is a long wait to get US Optics scopes. I can get one today from opticsplanet.com today so I'm a little confused??
Old 02-06-2011, 5:03 PM
Jonathan Doe

I have a Schmidt & Bender PMII scope on my Accuracy International rifle. I think it is a very good combination. I have never used a US Optics scopes, but I like Schmidt & Bender scope.
Old 02-06-2011, 5:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komifornian View Post
thanks for all the input -

One question though. Many have said that there is a long wait to get US Optics scopes. I can get one today from opticsplanet.com today so I'm a little confused??
Thats because USO makes enough of their most popular scopes to be stocked with dealers, so you can have one right away, however if you want one different made to how you want it exactly then you'll be looking at a wait, when I ordered mine, 2008, it took roughly 3 months.
Old 02-06-2011, 5:42 PM
Calguns Addict

USO will make any scope you want. Durable and heavier than ****. My vote would be S&B. Stay away from NF. I never like companies that use MAP (price fix)
Old 02-06-2011, 7:07 PM
Calguns Addict

I wouldn't count on Optics Planets online stock status. Check first. There are other USO stocking dealers that have their scopes in stock though so you might not have to wait if they have one in the configuration you want.

American Marksman Training Group, LLC
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Old 02-06-2011, 7:34 PM

Just say no to USO. Premier FTW!
Old 02-06-2011, 7:38 PM

Call US Optics to find out what dealer may have your scope in stock. I did that and they directed me to MidwayUSA. USO also confirmed that opticsplanet does not stock product.
Old 02-06-2011, 8:27 PM

I own some USO scopes and they are outstanding in all regards.

Between the top scopes makers (USO, Premier, S&B, and Nightforce) you really can't go wrong. Each has its own unique strengths. Get whichever one has the specs and features you want.

Man Up, Show Up, or Shut the @#$! Up.

America's Largest Street Gang:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qEr_mZf06Y
Old 02-07-2011, 1:06 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You really can't go wrong with either. I would personally prefer the S&B in most circumstances.

Glass? You can't go wrong with either of them. You would need to side-by-side the particular models you are looking at. It will come to personal preference in regards to color rendition.

US Optics wins in durability. They're absolutely bricks.

S&B wins in refinement. All of the controls are much smoother.

With any of these high end scopes, the better scope will be the one that fits your requirements best. Quality is not an issue.
Old 02-07-2011, 6:54 AM

I have owned 2 USO's, a S&B, several NF's. Still have one USO the S&B and all my NF's. Quality control seems to be an issue with USO. My first one came defective from the factory. Bad Objective, parallex off and another issue. they fixed it but it took them 6 weeks to do it. Just a bad first impression. When I shoot them side by side, I rate them S&B, NF and USO optically. Turrets are good on all but the S&B is a bit too heavy and too close for my taste. The EREK knob on the USO is its one big redeeming quality. I wish all scopes had something simular. With the new speed turrets and wide range of reticles, Nightforce is your best bang for buck.
Old 02-07-2011, 9:42 AM
Veteran Member

I can honestly say NF is amazing. I did a lot of research before my purchase and I'm glad that was the direction I took.

I guarantee that you will see more NF scopes on the competition line than any other scope. Just check out NCPPRC or 6mmbr. NF is the performance standard. Additionally, some of USO's custom features are now found as standard on NF scopes (High speed turrets, ect..).

Also, the great thing about NF is that their scope values hold well even when used. Thus, even if you decide to change optics, you will get your money back.
Old 02-07-2011, 9:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you can buy either you have way too much $$$$$$$

What's Your Caliber??

My Youtube channel
Old 02-07-2011, 9:59 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
If you can buy either you have way too much $$$$$$$
Hells yeah!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

The good news is that scope manufacturers have been paying attention to what the tactical market wants and taking their cues from the most popular brands. This is why in the last couple of years Nightforce has redesigned their turrets, added FFP reticles, mil turrets and zero stops, for example. Leupold, after what seems like 20 years, has finally figured out how to deliver what we want as well, and they are making some excellent scopes (albeit at a rather sour price point).

Either way, it's a win-win for us.
Old 02-07-2011, 7:53 PM

It comes down to which one offers the features you need.
Old 02-07-2011, 9:03 PM

I have owned 3 USO and 1 Schmidt & Bender.
All 3 USO scopes had to go back to the factory to have "glitches" fixed with the tracking, adjustment range, loose knobs and in one instance a fingerprint on the inside of the lens. Yea they had good customer service and were helpful on the returns, but that still doesn't change the fact that I had to do their QC for them and wait over a month for each one to be fixed. Check on snipershide, its pretty common for these sorts of problems to show up on USOs.

My S&B is still running strong after a year.

I don't give a crap if I can run the scope over with a truck, what I care about is that the internals of a scope function as they should. In that regard USO has been a failure for me.
Old 02-07-2011, 9:10 PM

I dig all the cool reticles available from USO.