Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-02-2011, 9:11 AM

Default M14 Receivers

Are rewelds receivers safe to shoot?What needs to be checked out to shoot them?Any info on this will help.
Thanks in advance
Old 02-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member

i've read that they are dangerous because the material that they were made from is not easy to weld on. google it and you'll find answers
Old 02-02-2011, 2:12 PM

Are you talking about an actual USGI M14 receiver or some type of semi-auto M14 variant (ie Springfield M1a, LRB M14, Polytech, etc.)?

If it's an actual M14, then stay away from it as it is considered a machine gun and will land you in a pile of S***. If it's a re-welded semi, then again I would stay away. Many M14 gunsmiths won't touch a re-weld.
Old 02-02-2011, 3:06 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo99 View Post
If it's an actual M14, then stay away from it as it is considered a machine gun and will land you in a pile of S***. .
ifthe USGI M14 receiver was properly demilled, it can be legally "rewelded" into a semi-auto receiver. The full-auto portion of the receiver must be disabled/removed before the receiver is welded back together, but it can be done. Plenty of demilled full-auto receivers are legally welded back together as semi-auto recievers.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-02-2011, 4:30 PM

Very true, but I still wouldn't do it. Just not worth it to me with the other options available.
Old 02-02-2011, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo99 View Post
Very true, but I still wouldn't do it. Just not worth it to me with the other options available.
Agreed - not worth the hassle when LRB makes a great semi-auto receiver to near USGI specs.
Old 02-02-2011, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

It may be legal, but possibly unsafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
I have yet to meet a bad calgunner. Gun people for the most part are the better side of society. That is my opinion.
Old 02-02-2011, 9:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEZHEAD265 View Post
Are rewelds receivers safe to shoot?What needs to be checked out to shoot them?Any info on this will help.
Thanks in advance
Any automatic weapon receiver must be cut into three sections with a torch and at least 1/4" of the receiver must be removed on each cut. If you manage to reassemble it the full auto switch stud and the center cut out for the oprod dismount must be made inoperable. There was a guy by the name of Kelly who had a short-lived business putting M14 receivers back together that had been sheared in two only. He's in jail and all of the receivers he made have been confiscated by the ATF. There was no payment reimbursement for the receivers by Mr. Kelly who after all is in the federal hoosgow.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper

We are hard-pressed on every side, but not crushed,
perplexed, but not in despair:
persecuted, but not abandoned;
struck down but not destroyed.
2 Corinthians 4:8
Old 02-02-2011, 9:13 PM
Calguns Addict

ATF confiscated all the MKS rewelds they could find about 10 years ago. They consider them to still be machine guns, even though all the ones I've ever seen had the offending selector-lug on the receiver removed.

Stay away from them. If it is an Mike Kelly, Sr. reweld, it is a machine-gun in the eyes of ATF. I've never, ever seen an M14 reweld that wasn't considered a MG.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Veteran Member

Not worth the threat