Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-31-2011, 8:12 PM

Default Beretta / Breda M1 Garand ???

How common are these? On my search for an IHC M1 Garand I found these and was wondering how common they are? More expensive then USGI Garands? So now I'm thinking there are actually two more M1 Garands I need / want! Grrr. lol.

A few pictures I Found,

---

---

http://m1family.com
M1 Carbine Dedicated forum.
Old 01-31-2011, 8:24 PM

Location: Seal Beach (90740) Just south of Long Beach, in Orange County.

I'm not a Garand guy, but I know that the Beretta Garands were made in large quantities (so they aren't rare in absolute terms, but maybe relatively uncommon in the US) and were used by the Italians as well as exported to other NATO countries like Holland and Denmark, and perhaps others. I've seen a few, so they have been re-exported to the US, but not in the numbers of other Garands.

I believe that many of the Italian-issued ones were later used as the basis of the M14-like BM59, so they are no longer in M-1 form. And I think the BM series were selective fire, so they will be unlikely to be imported into the US in any numbers.

If anybody knows better or more, I would be happy to be corrected. As I say, I'm NOT a Garand guy (but I have owned an authentic 1961-vintage purple "M-1 thumb"! Who says you never learned anything in ROTC.....).
Old 01-31-2011, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Those are cool.
They were made in Italy after the war and many were sent to Denmark (like the one pictured I believe).

I read CMP used to sell them.
Old 02-01-2011, 4:28 PM

Yes I read online that after WWII Winchester sold all there M1 Garand equipment and sold it to the Italy and thats how they made there own M1 Garands. I just think its cool because I want one of each Military M1 Garand. Grrr more to hunt down now. I think most were Chambered in .308.

Yes I read that the CMP did sell these at one point.

Old 02-01-2011, 4:35 PM

That's the Danish Crown Mark if I'm not mistaken. Pretty cool Garand, don't get rid of it.
Old 02-01-2011, 4:39 PM

Its not mine, I wish it was! Found those pictures of Google for caparison.

Old 02-01-2011, 5:12 PM

I had one a couple of years ago. It shot as well as any others I had, but didn't really do anything for me, so I sold it.

Not particularly rare.
Old 02-01-2011, 5:14 PM

I've never seen one in person. Just be cool to see and have, just for the hell of it. haha.

Old 02-02-2011, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyMonkey View Post
I've never seen one in person. Just be cool to see and have, just for the hell of it. haha.
Check this out: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=375773

Last edited by 45acpfan; 02-02-2011 at 4:05 PM..
Old 02-02-2011, 4:34 PM

and of course there is one, haha.

Old 10-18-2011, 5:19 PM

Large numbers of Italian made Beretta and some Breda made the trip from Denmark to Canada . A very few made it all the way to the US , intact , before the Clintonistas slammed the import door shut . By coincidence I have never personally seen an Italian made Garand or Garand reciever over a 5 or 6 hours drive from the Canadian border.
When the Canadian market was completed saturated , the remaining Beretta , Breda and US made rifles had thier recievers chopped in 3 pieces and the parts imported as kits. Some were sold to the public ( I bought two ). Others were assembled on exceptional substandard and often actively dangerous Century recievers and sold at stupidly high prices to naive individuals.

Last time I checked ( a year or so ago ), Numrich was still selling reciever chunks from those vandalized Garands.

Conflict Resolution 201:
Pickaxe Handles Rule , The Battleship Missouri is usually a serious attention getter with more clout than just it's weapons/armor/mobility could generate. South Korean volunteers with Claymores strapped to thier chests and clackers in hand are a clear indication of Allied resolve. Puts the ! on the end of :
Don't MESS with US !
Old 10-19-2011, 7:11 AM

BM 59 where imported to the US in small numbers.They where semi-auto.Some where folders and some wood stock.All where magazine fed twenty round mags.They where all 30-06.Some people converted them to .308 M-14 mags.The Berettas M-1 Garands are nice.Not common to the US .Clinton had them cut up before they came in country,Like the M-14's form overseas storage.
Old 10-19-2011, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

BM-59's (and BM-69's and BM-62's for that matter) were all in 7.62 Nato.
Old 10-19-2011, 3:27 PM

There was a 2 digit serial, #86 if I remember right, on one of the auction sites just a day or two ago. Bidding was over $1K. It was virtually all correct, all Italian. Ah, found it. It has a Barretta conversion block and different barrel so it shoots 7.62x51 (.308).

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...emnum=10609696

Not my rifle nor do I know the seller. Hope I don't get banned for posting a link......

Last edited by Russ661; 10-19-2011 at 3:36 PM.. Reason: found the auction
Old 10-20-2011, 2:21 AM

Looks like a Tipo 2 conversion put together on a nice reciever by Springfield Inc. Typically , that means that the barrel , stock ,rear handguard , and operating rod are about a half inch shorter than the standard 30'06 parts. I have 2 that were put together with CMP recievers. The Tipo 2 was designed to be an economical way to convert 30'06 Garands to 7.62 .
I have 2 each made-from-scratch new short handguards and stocks but never ( personaly ) seen a purpose built Tipo 2 op rod or barrel.
Some well respected sources have shown US recievers with European conversion markings added . Without solid provenance and typical Euro conversion markings , I would consider any Tipo 2 to be a put-together , albeit a cool and honest put-together.
The visible part of the hammer marking " TRW 554600 ... " is interesting and not inconsistent with a circa 2002 Springfield Inc. build.

Conflict Resolution 201:
Pickaxe Handles Rule , The Battleship Missouri is usually a serious attention getter with more clout than just it's weapons/armor/mobility could generate. South Korean volunteers with Claymores strapped to thier chests and clackers in hand are a clear indication of Allied resolve. Puts the ! on the end of :
Don't MESS with US !

Last edited by campperrykid; 10-20-2011 at 2:34 AM..
Old 10-20-2011, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

I got my hands on one of those kits. Danish VAR barrel, Beretta stock and I think most of the other parts are Breda.

I was glad to hear that these parts were made on Winchester tooling because I got a Winchester receiver for it.

I got that because I grew up just a couple miles from the Winchester Mystery House, I needed a Winchester rifle to survive a Sean of the Dead style zombie outbreak and the receiver was cheap.

Since it's going to be a mix-master (even though ~everything was made on Winchester tooling), I think I'm going to have a Griffin & Howe M1C scope mount installed so that my dad can shoot it with his poor eyesight. He's going to retire soon so I want to give him a hobby of shooting and reloading for the Garand (I will get an adjustable gas port too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 10-20-2011, 2:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Breda Garand photos

These are photos of my Breda Garand. Some things to look for 1. Are the small parts stamped and match the manufacturer. Breda Garands will have parts marked with a BMR or BMB while Berretta Garands have all parts marked with a PB. 2. There should be a Zeroing Data sticker in the OP rod channel of the stock. It will have the Serial number of the receiver on it, if the number on that sticker doesn't match the receiver then most likely you are looking at a non-original kit gun. Also there should be a serial number stamped in the buttstock which should also match the receiver, mismatch number = a put together kit gun also. Actually at one point some years back people were looking for a way to forcematch the numbers there was that much concern over that issue. I had an online C&R acquaintance back in the 1990's, when I had 4 of the Italian Garands. He had a friend who was a Capt in the Danish Army. So when these Danes started showing up in various venues he asked his friend which manufacturer the Danish troops prefered. The response was "Breda" the troops felt they were a better manufactured or finished rifle. Some of the 30-06 rifles went through a conversion process overseas to 7.62 Nato, but I don't believe any were imported in that configuation. If I remember correctly I was told the Italians made about 20,000 Garands for the Danes, two groups of 10,000ish. I have some reprints of Italian Garand info in pdf format I can send to one of the moderators to Sticky the info to this Forum if somebody would tell me how to contact them. Hope this is of help. This information seems to indicate that there were aournd 300,000 Italian made Garands (unlike the 5 million USA made rifles)manufatured by Berretta and Breda so they ARE quite a desirable collectable and great addition to any Garand Collection BB

Last edited by aghauler; 10-20-2011 at 2:52 PM.. Reason: additional info.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Hard to find here. I get the impression most you will find are rebuilt.
Old 10-21-2011, 7:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwansao View Post
Hard to find here. I get the impression most you will find are rebuilt.
Correct, although there are some that are correct originals. Once the "kits' hit the market there was a "hunt" on for parts to make the kits MORE correct, hence more valuable? I think if one looks for the Zeroing Data label, and matching serial numbers on the stock and receiver, and correctly marked small parts there is a high probability its original, based on that and fit and finish of course. There were a lot of kits sold by AIM and other venders. Receivers were imported by the back door operation of Old Sacramento Armory, GFCC. BB
Old 10-26-2011, 4:45 AM

Nice rifle. The battle sight sticker is a nice touch. Like the hang tag an CMP M1 Carbine that traces the evil little brown gun all the way back to the Italian National Police unit in Sicily, complete with the name of the man who used it .
I think that the upscale auction guys call that provenance .

Conflict Resolution 201:
Don't MESS with US !
Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks, it IS one of my collecting scores! You can't see it in the photos but there is a yellow plastic tag on the rear sling swivel dated 1991, that's why I haven't mounted the sling I got with it. Just a couple of days ago on a Proxibid Auction site a PB Garand sold for $1000, undetermined if it was an all CORRECT rifle or not, coulda been a put together kit. When I was given this rifle I was told to NEVEREVER take less than $1200 for it if I ever sold it, that was 10 years ago. I had access to a couple hunderd correct matching PB's and Bredas (including 6 sequentially serial numbered Breda rifles) at the time but didn't realize that these weren't going to be allowed into the country in droves. YEP MISSED that boat in a big way! I also tried working through the BATF system to have them declared C&R's (they weren't 50 years old the time) Took about 6 months of time numerous photos a couple of letters back and forth and got a NO GO from BATF so all sales had to go through 01 FFLs. Mute point now as they are old enough to be C&R's. I wasn't overly impressed with the BATF even though these rifles are somewhat rare especially compared to USGI production.