Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-30-2011, 9:03 PM

Default Kimber 1911 Carbon Fiber Grips

Anyone have these? Im looking to get a set of them for my TLE/RL. Im curious what the reviews on them are, possibly if you have photos you could post them.

I've looked at cabon creations at their colored versions. I dont know if I could get a color but Im curious about my options on manufacturers and quality.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-30-2011, 9:27 PM
Veteran Member

I would imagine carbon fiber grips, although cool.... would make for a slippery grip. Especially if it's gloss finished, regardless of being checkered or not.
Old 01-30-2011, 9:33 PM

possibly that's why im trying to find more info on them.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/shop/pr...od=367&xSec=18
Old 01-30-2011, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, those look really slippery. But they do look cool...
Old 01-30-2011, 9:38 PM

I have them on my Kimber TLE/RL below..... works great... as far as slippage,, not an issue as you can see not all of the grip is smooth,,, part is rough out for grip,, I also added a wrap around rubber grip for better feel and control...

Out of all my pistols this is my favorite... Color blends in well as you can see...

Old 01-30-2011, 9:40 PM

very cool, what did u use for the wrap around? is it a whole grip with the CF plates over it?
Old 01-30-2011, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub3rDorK View Post
very cool, what did u use for the wrap around? is it a whole grip with the CF plates over it?
The wrap around rubber finger grips are made by Pearce and the Carbon Fiber are just placed over them..,, so two seperate grips to make one...
Old 01-30-2011, 9:51 PM

Im gonna check that out. Where did u get the CF grips from?
Old 01-30-2011, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ub3rDorK View Post
Im gonna check that out. Where did u get the CF grips from?
I bought the Kimber CF side grips from eBay a while back... it was much cheaper than buying directly from Kimber...I did get them brand new in original packaging... Guess I got lucky back then that someone was actually selling a set...Shop the internet you may find some at good prices...
Old 01-30-2011, 9:58 PM

dry carbon would give a much better grip, but I haven't seen anyone make any 1911 grips that way yet.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:12 PM

Try Carbon Creations grips. They are not exactly like the Kimber version but they offer something close. I have shot with the Carbon Creations double diamond style and they are plenty grippy.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

I loooove carbon fiber, but.... on a gun? i dont think id touch is, especially since I put 400-500 down range a month on average. Its touch stuff, but ultimately its cloth being held together by resin. Ultimately its going to splinter and crack. I would get a set if my 1911 was a safe queen, but I would never put on a performance gun or on my SHTF gun IMO.
✟ In the beginning was the 1911, and the 1911 was THE pistol, and it was good. And behold the Lord said, "Thou shalt not muck with my disciple John's design for it is good and it workith. For John made the 1911, and lo all of his weapons, from the designs which I, the Lord, gave him upon the mountain."✟
Old 01-31-2011, 9:39 PM

hmmm I kind of want to try the Houge grips, but i think they are gonna be too thick.

I see sizes like govt, ....which size would i look for to mount some new ones on the TLE RL II kimber?
Old 02-02-2011, 7:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Carbon Creations site doesn't seem to want to load for me right now but last I remember, they were the OE for Kimber's carbon fiber grips. If you get ones with checkering, they don't slip. They're plenty grippy.

Not sure where the myth came from, but carbon fiber doesn't just "splinter and crack." Ask Formula 1 racecar drivers if they trust their lives to carbon fiber. Ask pilots & astronauts if they trust their lives to carbon fiber. CF is used in high stress parts across all kinds of aerospace, automotive and sports applications. I'd trust my life to any carbon fiber gun part before anything made out of wood.

Old 02-02-2011, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plan-b View Post
The Carbon Creations site doesn't seem to want to load for me right now but last I remember, they were the OE for Kimber's carbon fiber grips. If you get ones with checkering, they don't slip. They're plenty grippy.

Not sure where the myth came from, but carbon fiber doesn't just "splinter and crack." Ask Formula 1 racecar drivers if they trust their lives to carbon fiber. Ask pilots & astronauts if they trust their lives to carbon fiber. CF is used in high stress parts across all kinds of aerospace, automotive and sports applications. I'd trust my life to any carbon fiber gun part before anything made out of wood.

Carbon fiber splinters and cracks when it experiences sudden jolting forces or any shearing kind of movement at the ends of the weave. I work with carbon fiber bicycles on a daily basis, and have seen cracked frames plenty of times (100+ CF frames I've seen with cracks, splinters, etc) On something as small and as solid as a pistol grip, there shouldn't be a problem, but saying that CF doesn't crack or splinter is plain false.
Old 02-02-2011, 8:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iareConfusE View Post
Carbon fiber splinters and cracks when it experiences sudden jolting forces or any shearing kind of movement at the ends of the weave. I work with carbon fiber bicycles on a daily basis, and have seen cracked frames plenty of times (100+ CF frames I've seen with cracks, splinters, etc) On something as small and as solid as a pistol grip, there shouldn't be a problem, but saying that CF doesn't crack or splinter is plain false.
Never said it wasn't possible. Said that it doesn't just splinter and crack. There has to be a reason. I've spent plenty of time working with CF for motorcycle & automotive applications. This includes carbon fiber wheels. I'd still take carbon fiber over wood for any gun application.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member

Call me old fashion..... But I still dig the look of wood!
Old 02-03-2011, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noliwan View Post
I have them on my Kimber TLE/RL below..... works great... as far as slippage,, not an issue as you can see not all of the grip is smooth,,, part is rough out for grip,, I also added a wrap around rubber grip for better feel and control...

Out of all my pistols this is my favorite... Color blends in well as you can see...

do u have a photo of this from the grip/hammer side...im curious to see the width. I just picked up my cf kimber grips and thinking of adding the same style grooves as you. The front checkering kills my hands.
Old 02-03-2011, 9:24 PM

Here we go.. hope this helps...

ooops wrong side...
Old 02-03-2011, 9:25 PM

lol
Old 02-06-2011, 8:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noliwan View Post
Here we go.. hope this helps...

ooops wrong side...
That is a great lookin gun! Ive had my eye on the Kimber 1911 Stainless TLE/RL II with rail specifically for my SureFire light! Yours is the first ive seen closest to that combo! Makes me want it more. I had never seen the CF grips though. That might be something to consider as I think theyd look great on a SS version. Have to see if I can get my hands on them somewhere to get an idea of how they feel.

Last edited by ben_r_; 02-06-2011 at 8:53 AM..