Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-2011, 9:02 PM
ADAM's Avatar
ADAM ADAM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: L.A.
Posts: 2,437
iTrader: 118 / 99%
Default HOGS GONE WILD ON DISCOVERY CH.

what a show on discovery hogs gone wild
__________________
I said I didn"t have much use for one,didn"t say I didn"t know how to use it. MATTHEW QUIGLEY
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-30-2011, 9:05 PM
antonio's Avatar
antonio antonio is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: N0R, CA
Posts: 536
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

LoL just started watching it ..............
__________________
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-2011, 9:14 PM
bigboarstopper's Avatar
bigboarstopper bigboarstopper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: monterey
Posts: 1,843
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Im watching it too. Last weeks show and the new one following it.
__________________
Guided/Semi Guided Wild Boar Hunts In Central California, Shay Balesteri 831.594.1270
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-2011, 9:21 PM
ADAM's Avatar
ADAM ADAM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: L.A.
Posts: 2,437
iTrader: 118 / 99%
Default

this show kicks a-- in hd
__________________
I said I didn"t have much use for one,didn"t say I didn"t know how to use it. MATTHEW QUIGLEY
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2011, 9:47 PM
model63's Avatar
model63 model63 is offline
We are the gun lobby
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Texas, V-town escapee
Posts: 302
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

I've been watching it too...Not shooting the Hawaii pigs I can understand due to space and population... but messin around in Texas out in open land without just shootin that one bedded down and sendin that one pooch in by itself when it was clearly overmatched seemed ridiculous if their real objective is feral population control and sausage making. I guess they wouldn't have a show if it simply ended with 'bang'... maybe it is just the Calgunner in me...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM
ADAM's Avatar
ADAM ADAM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: L.A.
Posts: 2,437
iTrader: 118 / 99%
Default

for show only
__________________
I said I didn"t have much use for one,didn"t say I didn"t know how to use it. MATTHEW QUIGLEY
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2011, 10:23 PM
bigboarstopper's Avatar
bigboarstopper bigboarstopper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: monterey
Posts: 1,843
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I think something might stink on this show. The hawaii guy seems legit. The florida and texas group dont seem to know what they are doing. Looks like the 2 dog hunting groups got into running dogs just for the show. Cause they get way over excited and dont think out a few basic houndsman principals.

Both of them dont use enough dogs. Both groups dont seem to want to let their dogs just hunt em up. No need to spotlight and dump the dogs. Dogs should be able to hunt off the leash and find their own hogs.

I was amased that the florida guys dumped a single dog on a larger hog like that. If the hog got the upperhand on the dog those 2 guys couldnt do a thing about it. No gun, they woulda simply watched their dog get mauled to death and the hog walk away. Its just plain irresponsible and wrong to put a dog in a situation like that and not have the ability to back him up.

The texas people did the same thing. Again, running a single dog that is supposed to catch is just plain dumb. Great danes do not make good strike dogs. You saw how the dog chased the whole herd and lost the hog moments later. If I dumped my dogs on a herd like that and they didnt catch em right away the dogs would have been gone for hours trailing the herd. Suppose that Great dane cought up to that hog a half mile away. It would have had to fight that hog for a good 10-15 minutes before help arrived. You saw how gassed out the dog was after just a few minutes. In a long race the dane woulda been killed. Those giant dogs just dont have the endurance for that kind of stuff.

If your going to have a business that removes hogs in volume your going to need to use everything you have. Traps, snares, dogs ect. Both groups of hog doggers put together have less dogs than I do. If I was in a business like that I would be running at least 6-8 dogs at a time with mabye 2 catch dogs. Eventually those 2 groups are going to get their dogs killed or hurt because they run too few dogs and make too many poor decisions.

I have a feeling some of this stuff is fake anyhow. I think they dont kill the hogs so they can chase or retrap them for another show.
__________________
Guided/Semi Guided Wild Boar Hunts In Central California, Shay Balesteri 831.594.1270
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-2011, 7:29 AM
professionalcoyotehunter professionalcoyotehunter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Desert Area, CA
Posts: 12,981
iTrader: 84 / 99%
Default

I was thinking the exact same thing when I watched it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-2011, 7:46 AM
GlockBlocker's Avatar
GlockBlocker GlockBlocker is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 344
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

hun'emup! hun'emup!

Why don't they shoot or knife kill the Hawaii ones... or any of the ones they "aren't forced to put down"?

Seems like all the groups overplay that they only put one down if they have to. Maybe that's for the appeal of the general public.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2011, 7:48 AM
glockman19 glockman19 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 10,713
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

I watched the marathon yesterday night. Too bad we can't offer our depreciation services...

I'd pay my own way if I could hunt pigs.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2011, 8:22 AM
model63's Avatar
model63 model63 is offline
We are the gun lobby
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Texas, V-town escapee
Posts: 302
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBlocker View Post
hun'emup! hun'emup!

Why don't they shoot or knife kill the Hawaii ones... or any of the ones they "aren't forced to put down"?

Seems like all the groups overplay that they only put one down if they have to. Maybe that's for the appeal of the general public.
I think we are simply seeing the difference between the Discovery Channel, real life and The Outdoors Channel...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-2011, 8:43 AM
jabell's Avatar
jabell jabell is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Los Angeles (Studio City)
Posts: 315
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default Interesting but terrible.......................................... ........

i thought it was torture to not just put those hogs down if that was their final move anyway.
i mean talk about miss treating animals.
a wild animal forced to be tied up for god knows how long before getting stuck but not before listening to all the other ones screaming as they are getting stuck.
i wouldn't even want to eat that meat with all the stress hormones & adrenaline being dumped into the tissues.
i thought that great dane was bad *** to hold down that big boar by himself but yea very irresponsible to put him in a situation like that.
they make it like their mission is so important & they are doing this highly dangerous work to save the community.
obviously this was all for dramatic purposes & highly edited.
when a community has had enough of hogs they hire shooters to solve the problem.
remember the utube video: Nueces Helicopter Pig Hunt
if any of you guys haven't seen that you gotta check it out.

Last edited by jabell; 02-01-2011 at 7:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-2011, 9:03 AM
professionalcoyotehunter professionalcoyotehunter is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Desert Area, CA
Posts: 12,981
iTrader: 84 / 99%
Default

That is why I am in the air about doing a hog hunt with dogs but I want to try it before I judge it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 AM
DirtyDave's Avatar
DirtyDave DirtyDave is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 2,294
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
I think something might stink on this show. The hawaii guy seems legit. The florida and texas group dont seem to know what they are doing. Looks like the 2 dog hunting groups got into running dogs just for the show. Cause they get way over excited and dont think out a few basic houndsman principals.

Both of them dont use enough dogs. Both groups dont seem to want to let their dogs just hunt em up. No need to spotlight and dump the dogs. Dogs should be able to hunt off the leash and find their own hogs.

I was amased that the florida guys dumped a single dog on a larger hog like that. If the hog got the upperhand on the dog those 2 guys couldnt do a thing about it. No gun, they woulda simply watched their dog get mauled to death and the hog walk away. Its just plain irresponsible and wrong to put a dog in a situation like that and not have the ability to back him up.

The texas people did the same thing. Again, running a single dog that is supposed to catch is just plain dumb. Great danes do not make good strike dogs. You saw how the dog chased the whole herd and lost the hog moments later. If I dumped my dogs on a herd like that and they didnt catch em right away the dogs would have been gone for hours trailing the herd. Suppose that Great dane cought up to that hog a half mile away. It would have had to fight that hog for a good 10-15 minutes before help arrived. You saw how gassed out the dog was after just a few minutes. In a long race the dane woulda been killed. Those giant dogs just dont have the endurance for that kind of stuff.

If your going to have a business that removes hogs in volume your going to need to use everything you have. Traps, snares, dogs ect. Both groups of hog doggers put together have less dogs than I do. If I was in a business like that I would be running at least 6-8 dogs at a time with mabye 2 catch dogs. Eventually those 2 groups are going to get their dogs killed or hurt because they run too few dogs and make too many poor decisions.

I have a feeling some of this stuff is fake anyhow. I think they dont kill the hogs so they can chase or retrap them for another show.
I agree.
I think they are spotlighting the hogs before turning loose the dogs because those guys do not appear to be in the best physical condition and would never be able to catch up to the dogs.

It was entertaining though and definitely better than watching bowhunting white tails from a tree stand in the midwest....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
DeanW66's Avatar
DeanW66 DeanW66 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)
Posts: 5,096
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Yup, saw it - that 400# hog was freakin HUGE!

I too started having 2nd thoughts about dog-hunts so I'm happy to see comments here from Shay.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
DeanW66's Avatar
DeanW66 DeanW66 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)
Posts: 5,096
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
It was entertaining though and definitely better than watching bowhunting white tails from a tree stand in the midwest....
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-31-2011, 6:31 PM
NorCal_M&P15-22's Avatar
NorCal_M&P15-22 NorCal_M&P15-22 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Bay
Posts: 21
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

sweet, I love fat chicks!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2011, 4:02 PM
Caviel's Avatar
Caviel Caviel is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I try to watch the show but it frustrates me with the lack of hunting with firearms. I agree with the opinions on the Florida and Texas hog exterminators... they don't seem like they know what they are doing.. The guys in Florida with the matching uniforms really made me laugh!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-02-2011, 6:00 PM
Mstnpete Mstnpete is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County, Kalifornia-the anti-gun state
Posts: 4,056
iTrader: 49 / 100%
Default

Anyone know when the next show is?

Went to DS and no schedule mentioned.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-02-2011, 8:43 PM
VytamenC Tactical's Avatar
VytamenC Tactical VytamenC Tactical is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: L.A./ O.C./S.D./S.F./ NOR. CAL / SO.CAL.
Posts: 2,646
iTrader: 315 / 100%
Default

i agree with bbs only 1 dog i just plain stupid. i am waiting to see in the credits NO BOARS WERE ACTUALLY HURT OR KILLED IN THE FILMING OF THIS SHOW.
__________________
AR15 RIFLE UPPERS, PISTOL UPPERS AND BARRELS FOR SALE
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=534684



AR15 300 BLACKOUT UPPERS & VARMIT UPPERS
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=589953

80% VYTAMENC TACTICAL 80% LOWERS AND JIGS

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...05#post9933705

vytamenctactical.com
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-03-2011, 7:15 AM
DeanW66's Avatar
DeanW66 DeanW66 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)
Posts: 5,096
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vytamenc22 View Post
NO BOARS WERE ACTUALLY HURT OR KILLED IN THE FILMING OF THIS SHOW.
Except those two "uniformed" guys in FL ended up using a pig-sticker on that big one (400#?).
__________________
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 PM
jeffrice6's Avatar
jeffrice6 jeffrice6 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 4,827
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

pardon the pun...... But TV hogwash
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Toast's Avatar
Toast Toast is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 842
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Ive seen this show a few times and it's pretty stupid. That English guy (I think) is a joke, yea lets go jump in a pen with trapped pigs and wrestle with them. If it were real they would just shoot them, and IMO, like Jabell said it's more inhumane to tie them up before eventually killing them.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-15-2011, 1:19 PM
lewdogg21's Avatar
lewdogg21 lewdogg21 is offline
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,562
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default

Ok so I'm watching the show for the first time. The episode is dated 4/19/2011. I don't run hounds, I have labs for upland and waterfowl.. One thing I notice right away is the dog armor (L3 texas people) is all brand new looking. Not dirty, stained, faded etc. That tells me it's brand new. I think Shay is right that they got into dogs for the show.

The hogs just ran off and the dogs didn't chase em up. Right before the scent dog was right next to the people. With my 2 year old female that only occurs when she is busted *** tired or overheated, otherwise she's the definition of relentless. Again I'm talking birds and these are hogs but both dogs were bred for those specific purpose. Looks like they are out in the heat and cooking their dogs. I

Now I have another question. They tie these things up and haul them out of the brush. I'm guessing this is for TV as it would be easier to pop them and drag them out dead (or leave lay) instead of tie them out and deal with them alive.


FWIW I've only killed like 3 pigs and none with a .223/5.56
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-15-2011, 1:39 PM
lewdogg21's Avatar
lewdogg21 lewdogg21 is offline
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,562
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default

So the guy from L3 shot this boar with a crossbow. They gave it some time and then walked it up with 3 of them having crossbows. uh huh....
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-15-2011, 1:53 PM
pdugan6's Avatar
pdugan6 pdugan6 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: gun hating Santa Clara
Posts: 1,154
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Ok so I'm watching the show for the first time. The episode is dated 4/19/2011. I don't run hounds, I have labs for upland and waterfowl.. One thing I notice right away is the dog armor (L3 texas people) is all brand new looking. Not dirty, stained, faded etc. That tells me it's brand new. I think Shay is right that they got into dogs for the show.

The hogs just ran off and the dogs didn't chase em up. Right before the scent dog was right next to the people. With my 2 year old female that only occurs when she is busted *** tired or overheated, otherwise she's the definition of relentless. Again I'm talking birds and these are hogs but both dogs were bred for those specific purpose. Looks like they are out in the heat and cooking their dogs. I

Now I have another question. They tie these things up and haul them out of the brush. I'm guessing this is for TV as it would be easier to pop them and drag them out dead (or leave lay) instead of tie them out and deal with them alive.


FWIW I've only killed like 3 pigs and none with a .223/5.56
i was watching that show earlier today and i was noticing how those Texans with the dogs with the chick in the crew seemed to not really Know what they are doing. And their dogs were less than stellar at picking up a scent.All whilst wearing their shiny brand new protective gear. It gets me pumped to go get some pigs though.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-15-2011, 1:54 PM
pdugan6's Avatar
pdugan6 pdugan6 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: gun hating Santa Clara
Posts: 1,154
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstnpete View Post
Anyone know when the next show is?

Went to DS and no schedule mentioned.
sunday evenings.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-15-2011, 2:40 PM
crackerman's Avatar
crackerman crackerman is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The Granite State
Posts: 2,446
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

It gets me pumped to go after hogs to bbut even newbie hog guy me sees that its got a lot of tv drama built in.

I did see on an episode that the hawaii guys has to bring them in alive so they can be graded on donated by whatever processor he uses.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-15-2011, 4:04 PM
BC9696's Avatar
BC9696 BC9696 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South OC
Posts: 1,633
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Reality TV is not real. That said, anything that depicts animal control/removal in any manner that the general public accepts is good for hunters. I don't care if they spotlight (for filming purposes) or if the Producer selected some people because of the way they scored in pre-screenings. The general public is now aware pigs are overruning the country. It could be worse.
__________________
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-15-2011, 5:02 PM
lewdogg21's Avatar
lewdogg21 lewdogg21 is offline
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,562
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default

^^^true. At least it's better than some jackoff sitting in a tree stand shooting yet another white tail that came along to check a scrape. That stuff puts me to sleep unless it's Tiffany Lakoski.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-15-2011, 5:06 PM
taperxz taperxz is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 16,311
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Ya and who is looking at the deer anyway^^^^^^^^
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-15-2011, 5:08 PM
llamatrnr llamatrnr is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northeast Tennessee (formerly San Diego Back Country
Posts: 4,379
iTrader: 40 / 100%
Default

Oh, sorry; thought this thread was about a Jerry Springer episode. . .
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-15-2011, 6:12 PM
jm13690's Avatar
jm13690 jm13690 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 765
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I believe that in all these cases they were donating the meat from the hogs to homeless shelters. Maybe they just don't kill them all to help preserve meet. If they are going after 10 - 20 hogs a day that could take all afternoon, not including field dressing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:43 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.