Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 01-30-2011, 9:02 PM

Default HOGS GONE WILD ON DISCOVERY CH.

what a show on discovery hogs gone wild
Old 01-30-2011, 9:05 PM

LoL just started watching it ..............
Old 01-30-2011, 9:14 PM

Im watching it too. Last weeks show and the new one following it.
Old 01-30-2011, 9:21 PM

this show kicks a-- in hd
Old 01-30-2011, 9:47 PM
We are the gun lobby
CGN Contributor

I've been watching it too...Not shooting the Hawaii pigs I can understand due to space and population... but messin around in Texas out in open land without just shootin that one bedded down and sendin that one pooch in by itself when it was clearly overmatched seemed ridiculous if their real objective is feral population control and sausage making. I guess they wouldn't have a show if it simply ended with 'bang'... maybe it is just the Calgunner in me...
Old 01-30-2011, 10:08 PM

for show only
Old 01-30-2011, 10:23 PM

I think something might stink on this show. The hawaii guy seems legit. The florida and texas group dont seem to know what they are doing. Looks like the 2 dog hunting groups got into running dogs just for the show. Cause they get way over excited and dont think out a few basic houndsman principals.

Both of them dont use enough dogs. Both groups dont seem to want to let their dogs just hunt em up. No need to spotlight and dump the dogs. Dogs should be able to hunt off the leash and find their own hogs.

I was amased that the florida guys dumped a single dog on a larger hog like that. If the hog got the upperhand on the dog those 2 guys couldnt do a thing about it. No gun, they woulda simply watched their dog get mauled to death and the hog walk away. Its just plain irresponsible and wrong to put a dog in a situation like that and not have the ability to back him up.

The texas people did the same thing. Again, running a single dog that is supposed to catch is just plain dumb. Great danes do not make good strike dogs. You saw how the dog chased the whole herd and lost the hog moments later. If I dumped my dogs on a herd like that and they didnt catch em right away the dogs would have been gone for hours trailing the herd. Suppose that Great dane cought up to that hog a half mile away. It would have had to fight that hog for a good 10-15 minutes before help arrived. You saw how gassed out the dog was after just a few minutes. In a long race the dane woulda been killed. Those giant dogs just dont have the endurance for that kind of stuff.

If your going to have a business that removes hogs in volume your going to need to use everything you have. Traps, snares, dogs ect. Both groups of hog doggers put together have less dogs than I do. If I was in a business like that I would be running at least 6-8 dogs at a time with mabye 2 catch dogs. Eventually those 2 groups are going to get their dogs killed or hurt because they run too few dogs and make too many poor decisions.

I have a feeling some of this stuff is fake anyhow. I think they dont kill the hogs so they can chase or retrap them for another show.
Old 01-31-2011, 7:29 AM
Banned

I was thinking the exact same thing when I watched it.
Old 01-31-2011, 7:46 AM

hun'emup! hun'emup!

Why don't they shoot or knife kill the Hawaii ones... or any of the ones they "aren't forced to put down"?

Seems like all the groups overplay that they only put one down if they have to. Maybe that's for the appeal of the general public.
Old 01-31-2011, 7:48 AM
Banned

I watched the marathon yesterday night. Too bad we can't offer our depreciation services...

I'd pay my own way if I could hunt pigs.
Old 01-31-2011, 8:22 AM
We are the gun lobby
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBlocker View Post
hun'emup! hun'emup!

Why don't they shoot or knife kill the Hawaii ones... or any of the ones they "aren't forced to put down"?

Seems like all the groups overplay that they only put one down if they have to. Maybe that's for the appeal of the general public.
I think we are simply seeing the difference between the Discovery Channel, real life and The Outdoors Channel...
Old 01-31-2011, 8:43 AM

Default Interesting but terrible.......................................... ........

i thought it was torture to not just put those hogs down if that was their final move anyway.
i mean talk about miss treating animals.
a wild animal forced to be tied up for god knows how long before getting stuck but not before listening to all the other ones screaming as they are getting stuck.
i wouldn't even want to eat that meat with all the stress hormones & adrenaline being dumped into the tissues.
i thought that great dane was bad *** to hold down that big boar by himself but yea very irresponsible to put him in a situation like that.
they make it like their mission is so important & they are doing this highly dangerous work to save the community.
obviously this was all for dramatic purposes & highly edited.
when a community has had enough of hogs they hire shooters to solve the problem.
remember the utube video: Nueces Helicopter Pig Hunt
if any of you guys haven't seen that you gotta check it out.

Last edited by jabell; 02-01-2011 at 7:32 AM..
Old 01-31-2011, 9:03 AM
Banned

That is why I am in the air about doing a hog hunt with dogs but I want to try it before I judge it.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboarstopper View Post
I think something might stink on this show. The hawaii guy seems legit. The florida and texas group dont seem to know what they are doing. Looks like the 2 dog hunting groups got into running dogs just for the show. Cause they get way over excited and dont think out a few basic houndsman principals.

Both of them dont use enough dogs. Both groups dont seem to want to let their dogs just hunt em up. No need to spotlight and dump the dogs. Dogs should be able to hunt off the leash and find their own hogs.

I was amased that the florida guys dumped a single dog on a larger hog like that. If the hog got the upperhand on the dog those 2 guys couldnt do a thing about it. No gun, they woulda simply watched their dog get mauled to death and the hog walk away. Its just plain irresponsible and wrong to put a dog in a situation like that and not have the ability to back him up.

The texas people did the same thing. Again, running a single dog that is supposed to catch is just plain dumb. Great danes do not make good strike dogs. You saw how the dog chased the whole herd and lost the hog moments later. If I dumped my dogs on a herd like that and they didnt catch em right away the dogs would have been gone for hours trailing the herd. Suppose that Great dane cought up to that hog a half mile away. It would have had to fight that hog for a good 10-15 minutes before help arrived. You saw how gassed out the dog was after just a few minutes. In a long race the dane woulda been killed. Those giant dogs just dont have the endurance for that kind of stuff.

If your going to have a business that removes hogs in volume your going to need to use everything you have. Traps, snares, dogs ect. Both groups of hog doggers put together have less dogs than I do. If I was in a business like that I would be running at least 6-8 dogs at a time with mabye 2 catch dogs. Eventually those 2 groups are going to get their dogs killed or hurt because they run too few dogs and make too many poor decisions.

I have a feeling some of this stuff is fake anyhow. I think they dont kill the hogs so they can chase or retrap them for another show.
I agree.
I think they are spotlighting the hogs before turning loose the dogs because those guys do not appear to be in the best physical condition and would never be able to catch up to the dogs.

It was entertaining though and definitely better than watching bowhunting white tails from a tree stand in the midwest....
Old 01-31-2011, 10:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Yup, saw it - that 400# hog was freakin HUGE!

I too started having 2nd thoughts about dog-hunts so I'm happy to see comments here from Shay.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Location: Thanks to Casual Shooter, this really is kinda fun (was Los Gatos Mountains) ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
It was entertaining though and definitely better than watching bowhunting white tails from a tree stand in the midwest....
Old 01-31-2011, 6:31 PM

sweet, I love fat chicks!
Old 02-01-2011, 4:02 PM

I try to watch the show but it frustrates me with the lack of hunting with firearms. I agree with the opinions on the Florida and Texas hog exterminators... they don't seem like they know what they are doing.. The guys in Florida with the matching uniforms really made me laugh!
Old 02-02-2011, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone know when the next show is?

Went to DS and no schedule mentioned.
Old 02-02-2011, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

i agree with bbs only 1 dog i just plain stupid. i am waiting to see in the credits NO BOARS WERE ACTUALLY HURT OR KILLED IN THE FILMING OF THIS SHOW.

AR15 300 BLACKOUT UPPERS & VARMIT UPPERS
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=589953

80% VYTAMENC TACTICAL 80% LOWERS AND JIGS

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...05#post9933705

vytamenctactical.com
Old 02-03-2011, 7:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vytamenc22 View Post
NO BOARS WERE ACTUALLY HURT OR KILLED IN THE FILMING OF THIS SHOW.
Except those two "uniformed" guys in FL ended up using a pig-sticker on that big one (400#?).
CalGuns Network (CGN) is different from CalGuns Foundation (CGF). Both need our support. I have gold name because I support CGN; plus, I send $10 every two weeks to CGF automatically via online BillPay as described here.

Support CGF by shopping at Amazon!
Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

pardon the pun...... But TV hogwash
Old 02-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Ive seen this show a few times and it's pretty stupid. That English guy (I think) is a joke, yea lets go jump in a pen with trapped pigs and wrestle with them. If it were real they would just shoot them, and IMO, like Jabell said it's more inhumane to tie them up before eventually killing them.
Old 05-15-2011, 1:19 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Ok so I'm watching the show for the first time. The episode is dated 4/19/2011. I don't run hounds, I have labs for upland and waterfowl.. One thing I notice right away is the dog armor (L3 texas people) is all brand new looking. Not dirty, stained, faded etc. That tells me it's brand new. I think Shay is right that they got into dogs for the show.

The hogs just ran off and the dogs didn't chase em up. Right before the scent dog was right next to the people. With my 2 year old female that only occurs when she is busted *** tired or overheated, otherwise she's the definition of relentless. Again I'm talking birds and these are hogs but both dogs were bred for those specific purpose. Looks like they are out in the heat and cooking their dogs. I

Now I have another question. They tie these things up and haul them out of the brush. I'm guessing this is for TV as it would be easier to pop them and drag them out dead (or leave lay) instead of tie them out and deal with them alive.

FWIW I've only killed like 3 pigs and none with a .223/5.56
Old 05-15-2011, 1:39 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

So the guy from L3 shot this boar with a crossbow. They gave it some time and then walked it up with 3 of them having crossbows. uh huh....
Old 05-15-2011, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
Ok so I'm watching the show for the first time. The episode is dated 4/19/2011. I don't run hounds, I have labs for upland and waterfowl.. One thing I notice right away is the dog armor (L3 texas people) is all brand new looking. Not dirty, stained, faded etc. That tells me it's brand new. I think Shay is right that they got into dogs for the show.

The hogs just ran off and the dogs didn't chase em up. Right before the scent dog was right next to the people. With my 2 year old female that only occurs when she is busted *** tired or overheated, otherwise she's the definition of relentless. Again I'm talking birds and these are hogs but both dogs were bred for those specific purpose. Looks like they are out in the heat and cooking their dogs. I

Now I have another question. They tie these things up and haul them out of the brush. I'm guessing this is for TV as it would be easier to pop them and drag them out dead (or leave lay) instead of tie them out and deal with them alive.

FWIW I've only killed like 3 pigs and none with a .223/5.56
i was watching that show earlier today and i was noticing how those Texans with the dogs with the chick in the crew seemed to not really Know what they are doing. And their dogs were less than stellar at picking up a scent.All whilst wearing their shiny brand new protective gear. It gets me pumped to go get some pigs though.
Old 05-15-2011, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstnpete View Post
Anyone know when the next show is?

Went to DS and no schedule mentioned.
sunday evenings.
Old 05-15-2011, 2:40 PM

It gets me pumped to go after hogs to bbut even newbie hog guy me sees that its got a lot of tv drama built in.

I did see on an episode that the hawaii guys has to bring them in alive so they can be graded on donated by whatever processor he uses.
Old 05-15-2011, 4:04 PM

Reality TV is not real. That said, anything that depicts animal control/removal in any manner that the general public accepts is good for hunters. I don't care if they spotlight (for filming purposes) or if the Producer selected some people because of the way they scored in pre-screenings. The general public is now aware pigs are overruning the country. It could be worse.
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 05-15-2011, 5:02 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

^^^true. At least it's better than some jackoff sitting in a tree stand shooting yet another white tail that came along to check a scrape. That stuff puts me to sleep unless it's Tiffany Lakoski.
Old 05-15-2011, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ya and who is looking at the deer anyway^^^^^^^^
Old 05-15-2011, 5:08 PM
Veteran Member

Location: Northeast Tennessee (formerly San Diego Back Country

Oh, sorry; thought this thread was about a Jerry Springer episode. . .
Old 05-15-2011, 6:12 PM

I believe that in all these cases they were donating the meat from the hogs to homeless shelters. Maybe they just don't kill them all to help preserve meet. If they are going after 10 - 20 hogs a day that could take all afternoon, not including field dressing.