Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 10-15-2005, 6:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Panoche Hills: Anyone Make It For Opening Weekend 10/15/05?

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Technical Ted; 09-04-2006 at 7:30 PM..
Old 10-15-2005, 8:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technical Ted
Subject title says it all.

Weather? Ground conditions? Road conditions? Shooter population density?
Since the Forum was down, I didn't go because I didn't know where everyone would meet. Too bad, I had the time and I could have tried my FALs.
Old 10-16-2005, 7:55 AM
Banned

Default Recon

I'm thinking of heading up there this week for a day. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday?
Old 10-16-2005, 1:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Z50
I'm thinking of heading up there this week for a day. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday?
If it is Wednesday, I could to join you.
Old 10-17-2005, 5:56 AM

I didn't get to go this weekend, I ran the store. I'll ask my partner and his brother how it went.

CG your almost close enough to just go and shoot! Compared to a regimented range it IS the way to go.

I probably wont be going there for another two weeks now. I have to go fo two days or I wont go.
Old 10-17-2005, 1:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Same here.
Same here. Probably Tuesday.
Old 10-18-2005, 8:48 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Did anyone go - how was it?

Turby
Old 10-18-2005, 3:22 PM
Banned

Default Panoche Status

Ted and Pidooma.....

How'd it go? I might be able to slip the bonds of work and get out there if everyting's a go. Anybody wanna try a Wednesday run?
Old 10-18-2005, 5:13 PM

My partner, his wife, brother and Father went Friday.. they said it was grown over a little and they had the place to themselves.

I guess it rained Saturday morning a little and turned real nice Saturday..

-
Old 10-19-2005, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Ted and Pidooma.....

How'd it go? I might be able to slip the bonds of work and get out there if everyting's a go. Anybody wanna try a Wednesday run?
Just got back from an overnighter a little while ago. Had a nice relaxing time. It's still pretty brown out there. For about a half an hour or so this morning there was a truck parked up on the ridge near our camp site, but aside from that, we didn't run in to anyone.

Here's what downrange looked like:

And in case anyone was wondering, Ted owns the night...

I'm definitely going to have to try and make some more trips out there. Too bad we didn't manage to hook up, 11Z50.
Old 10-19-2005, 4:24 PM
Banned

Yup, too bad! I need a break. I'm thinking maybe next week. I'm very busy this week, and I have to be in Sac this weekend. Maybe next Wednesday. How far in did y'all go? Towards the South end there are some cool spots. Me and my buddy found an area we call "the grassy knoll". I have my SUV all packed and ready! I'd like to coordinate a trip with a few guys to minimize the load. I always take too much stuff!

I think you'll agree that while Panoche isn't a "shooting man" format, it does provide some solitude and relaxing shooting. I like to camp with a view of the Valley. You can see Fresno on a clear night.

Glad you guys had a good time.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Banned

Let's try to get together in the next few weeks. A mid-week trip is best for me. Also much less traffic in the area. Have you ever checked out the hot springs "resort"?
Old 10-19-2005, 11:32 PM
Banned

Ted~
OK. Early November looks good. I am going to get out there just as soon as I can.
Old 10-20-2005, 3:29 PM

hey those pictures bring good memories
did you guys do any trap shooting over there, hehehehe.
Old 10-21-2005, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Towards the South end there are some cool spots. Me and my buddy found an area we call "the grassy knoll". I have my SUV all packed and ready! I'd like to coordinate a trip with a few guys to minimize the load. I always take too much stuff!
That place is filled with grassy knolls. Hope those aren't the directions you give to people meeting up with you.

It's definitely a plus if you can share resources with a small group.

Quote:
I think you'll agree that while Panoche isn't a "shooting man" format, it does provide some solitude and relaxing shooting.
I agree. It's a fairly close location to the Bay Area where you can go and not be bothered and have a good relaxing time.
Old 10-21-2005, 8:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbon9
hey those pictures bring good memories
did you guys do any trap shooting over there, hehehehe.
No trap shooting as you weren't there to throw the clays for us.
Old 10-21-2005, 8:35 PM

Did you guys see any bunnies out there? That place is so barren other then the herd of sheep.
Old 10-21-2005, 8:57 PM

I was out there last year and came up upon a herd of sheep. Maybe 50 or so. Right by the sheep was a trailer/mobile home where of course the sheep herder must live

Ted you say you heard coyote out there, huh? That goes with what bigmac mentioned too.

Maybe its time for me to go camping
Old 10-21-2005, 8:59 PM
Banned

All I ever saw out there game-wise was a single Jackrabbit. I flushed a covey of quail or maybe chukar while driving around on the far south end.

For me, the beauty of Panoche is in the quiet and scenic qualities. The freedom of shooting on "your own range" is quite nice. I like to go kick back with a couple buddies, do some shooting, BBQ'ing and in general relax. I also like to test new gun/ammo combinations, scopes, chronographs, and in general play with my toys.

The nice thing is my cell phones and laptop work out there so I can get in touch with work if I need to.

I'm looking at early November during the week, probably a Wednesday-Thursday.
Old 10-21-2005, 9:11 PM

11z50,
I think I saw you out there last year. You cruise the RV right?
Old 10-21-2005, 10:06 PM
Banned

Used to have an RV but I sold that gas-pig. I'll be sporting my Suzuki Assault Vehicle now.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Banned

Ted~
Me and my buddy camped out near the south end two winters ago. It was cold and windy all day, but it calmed down in the evening. We cooked some good chow and had a couple beverages and crashed out early. I woke up around 0100 and just like you, was amazed by the illumination of the full moon and the peace and quiet.

When I took the RV to Panoche we could watch DVDs and have all the creature comforts. Somehow though, I'm glad to be back into the camp-out mode. Getting back to my roots and all that.
Old 10-22-2005, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Except for chirping insects and pidooma snoring in his tent I could've been the only person in the world.
That wasn't me snoring. i just forgot to turn off my chainsaw before going to sleep.
Old 10-22-2005, 9:47 PM

I'm new to CA, moved here from NY about 3 months ago.

Can anyone answer these questions for me:
1. How far is Panoche Hills from San Francisco?
2. Do I need a hunting permit (or any other permit) if I only want to target shoot there?
3. Are there any firearms type limitations? (handgun, rifle, shotgun, etc)
4. How safe it is to camp there over night? (bears, dragons, dinosors, etc)
5. Is it really crowded on the weekend? (the only time I'll be able to go)
6. Are there any vehicle limitations? (no motorcycles, or anything else)

Thanks for the info, I just don't want to go there an do something I am not suppose to do and get my self in a jam.

Lee.

P.S.
Just got a K 31 Swiss rifle....very cool gun.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Banned

Ted~
Tumey hills is not a bad spot, the hills are lower and there are a few large flat spots. Access is a little dicey though. To be safe a 4WD should be used, the area near the gate is rough. If you travel south 2-3 miles, you will find the terrain flattens a little and there are some decent spots. From I-5 access is easy until just inside the gate. After a short 4WD area, it's easy trails. I'd say in general Panoche is superior due to the better road network.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:07 AM

Thanks Ted, I'm suppose to get my K 31 next week and that's when I'm planing to camp out over the weekend in Panoche Hills.

Lee.
Old 10-23-2005, 8:01 PM

By the way, if you continue south/southwest on J1 to New Idria road and continue in that same direction, there is some decent pig hunting, if you have a 4x4 and some brass balls, ( and some pucker power). The "roads" are pretty rough. But hunting pressure is light because of the terrain and gettin' the hogs out of the canyons and arroyos ain't easy. There are some big ones to be taken, though. Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
Old 10-23-2005, 8:21 PM
Banned

That would be Griswold hills, and then on to Clear Creek BLM areas. Been there and have some stories. Roads are very extreme at times and there is an asbestos hazard.
Old 10-23-2005, 8:30 PM

11Z50, I'd like to hear them stories! One quick, condensed one: thought we'd take a "short-cut" to Monterey from Merced one weekend by way of New Idria. Long story short: 8 miles in two and a half hours in a two wheel drive long bed S-15. We did make it, though...Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.
Old 11-01-2005, 8:23 PM
Veteran Member

I am going to check this place out in a few weeks if all goes well. For those who have been there, is it better to enter from the east or the west? I'm coming from the east bay, and I will have to pick up a friend from San Jose on the way. It would be quicker to enter from the Holister side if possible, because I would not have to go all the way around.

I'm also curious about the "road" conditions, and if anyone has any good GPS coordinates and/or maps.
Old 11-01-2005, 8:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklisted
I'm also curious about the "road" conditions, and if anyone has any good GPS coordinates and/or maps.
I was there on Monday, Road conditions were great, better than I was expecting from stories. There are a few places with ruts that are a little deep, but I believe that just about any truck would be more than enough. You wouldn't catch me driving my Corvette up there..

I think we're going to plan a couple trips down there to mainly explore, limited shooting. I kinda want to map the place out a bit after seeing some pics and video another member posted. I think I've barely scratched the surface at this point.

Last edited by TonyM; 11-01-2005 at 8:39 PM..
Old 11-01-2005, 8:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My two-cents.

Show a little personal initiative. Look at the thread. Use Google.

If we make it simple for you and everyone else, Panoche Hills will be closed to target shooting, if not to hunting, within two years.

I've been around long enough to see some of my favorite shooting spots in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties get shut down because word of mouth led to overuse and abuse. Now with the internet, the probability is increased multifold.

Yes. I know I started this thread, and I probably shouldn't have
Can't stop it, only slow it down.

On a better note, I've backpacked Ventana Wilderness for years, in the mid eighties it used to be frequented way too much. Nowadays, I hardly see anyone at all; I guess the are all in shopping malls or it is beyond the range of their SUV's (we gotta walk?! ).
Old 11-01-2005, 9:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
My two-cents.

Show a little personal initiative. Look at the thread. Use Google.

If we make it simple for you and everyone else, Panoche Hills will be closed to target shooting, if not to hunting, within two years.

I've been around long enough to see some of my favorite shooting spots in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties get shut down because word of mouth led to overuse and abuse. Now with the internet, the probability is increased multifold.

Yes. I know I started this thread, and I probably shouldn't have
Yes, maybe you shouldn't have started the thread, that way you wont be helping people find a legal place to shoot. After all, I plan on bringing a whole garage full of appliances and shooting them up. After that, I'll just throw a little dirt over the remains and leave it...Maybe I'll start a brush fire!

I looked at every single thread about this, including the ones before the move. I can not find any first hand accounts from google, and I printed out the BLM website info on Panoche.

I just asked a simple question that I did not feel was adequately answered (which direction is best to enter from). I guess I'll show some initiative and drive two hours one way without even being sure about where I'm going. (I actually would if I had money to waste on gas). Hell, I don't have money for anything.

I understand what you are saying about telling everyone about this place, but I don't think there is any way around that. It's unfortunate, but there are always irresponsible people who will ruin something for everyone. I personally experiences this when an area on private land where I fished was closed because of people leaving trash behind and destroying buildings. I never once left behind a single piece of trash over several years, but other people did. And I doubt that they heard about the place on the internet. I'm hoping to have some private land to shoot on soon, so hopefully I won't invade your "spot" any longer than I have to.

Last edited by blacklisted; 11-01-2005 at 9:27 PM..
Old 11-02-2005, 12:13 PM

Smile

It's actually faster to go 152 to I5 to Shields Avenue, than the back way through Hollister.

corrected for spelling typo on Shields Avenue.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin

Last edited by Rascal; 11-02-2005 at 2:16 PM..
Old 11-02-2005, 1:50 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry if my previous message seemed angry, I was a bit mad when I found out I have a huge psychology paper up for peer review in 2 weeks, and I have not started it yet. This is why I need a vacation.