Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-26-2006, 2:32 PM

Default Going to la which gun ranges should I check out

I'm going to la for labor day weekend so which indoor gun ranges should I check out. I'll be in the santa monica area. If you also have coupons that would be great!
Old 08-26-2006, 3:24 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

www.laxrange.com would be the closest to you, but i've elected to stop going there. the range is decent, but i can't stand the workers there, especially when they began forcing me to buy their ammo for my own guns. no thanks.

i tend to navigate to la puente firing range for my indoor needs. the guys there are much more friendly.
Old 08-26-2006, 3:48 PM

I haven't been to Insight range in a while but it's my favorite:

http://www.dez-nuts.com/

(I don't know why they changed their original address to a dirtier sounding one)
Old 08-26-2006, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

+1 for Insight.

La Puente is ok. I sometimes see gangbangers there, but the S.O.'s often square them away. Buy ammo before you go ($$$). The guys are real friendly even though a couple of them are TOTAL know-it-alls who think they are the only people on the planet who know how to shoot. They dont allow rapid fire, but if you go late when no ones around they dont care.

I dont know if the LA Gun Club at 6th and Mateo is still around, I went once about 12 years ago and have avoided that place like the plague since.
Old 08-26-2006, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach
+1 for Insight.

La Puente is ok. I sometimes see gangbangers there, but the S.O.'s often square them away. Buy ammo before you go ($$$). The guys are real friendly even though a couple of them are TOTAL know-it-alls who think they are the only people on the planet who know how to shoot. They dont allow rapid fire, but if you go late when no ones around they dont care.

I dont know if the LA Gun Club at 6th and Mateo is still around, I went once about 12 years ago and have avoided that place like the plague since.
The LA gun club is still around. I've seen people that look like gangsters there and it's hard to feel safe, especially at night. My coworker told me the last time he went there, some guy "swept" him and his group (accidentally, but it still shouldn't happen!).
Old 08-26-2006, 8:07 PM
Super Moderator

Angeles Range isnt to far and tyey have targets out passed 500yards

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 08-26-2006, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark
I haven't been to Insight range in a while but it's my favorite:

http://www.dez-nuts.com/

(I don't know why they changed their original address to a dirtier sounding one)
Insight is a nice range. Really friendly atmosphere, knowledgable staff and an overall nice shooting experience.
Unfortunately they no longer allow you to shoot lead rounds which is a problem for some people, but if you shoot jacketed rounds you shouldn't have any problems with the range at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6172crew
Angeles Range isnt to far and tyey have targets out passed 500yards
Yeah, Angeles is great, but he said he was looking for indoor ranges
Old 08-26-2006, 8:12 PM

heres insights site http://www.insightrangeinc.com/ i don't know why they have the dez-nuts one....
Old 08-26-2006, 9:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTKrockeTT
www.laxrange.com would be the closest to you, but i've elected to stop going there. the range is decent, but i can't stand the workers there, especially when they began forcing me to buy their ammo for my own guns. no thanks.
I personally HATE the LAX range. The little Japanese man who runs the place has a serious attitude. The guy is a drill instructor type. His attitude is along the lines "I dont know what kind of dummies are showing up at my range, oh I cant wait to retire." Well I'm sorry Im just a regular guy, not an uber cool off duty LAPD Swat team member! Add to this your range bag must through a turning cubby hole thing. He then proceeds to open everything up and check every magazine and pocket - like Im gonna try to sneak in some armor piercing or explosive rounds. Bring some KY jelly too 'cause he might want to do a body cavity check. Add to this there's like four parking spaces available for their "valued" customers. The couple times I visited LAX I had to park at the Car Wash next door. I think they stay in business 'cause that's the only place to shoot on the Westside. The fact that the shooting population is so fluid (college students and entertainment industry folks) helps their business model too.
Old 08-26-2006, 9:54 PM

Default Insight

Insight is good but to let everyone know, they changed their hours again. Fridays they open at 1pm. Not good if you like to shoot early. I guess I have to start shootng on Friday afternoons again.
Old 08-27-2006, 1:28 AM

Looks like insight it is Is there a wallmart close by so I can get some wwb haha in 9 &.45. So they are cool with me supplying my own ammo when I rent from them. I can't bring my toys down since my friend doesn't have a safe and there's too many people in and out of his place. Thanx again for the help. .

Last edited by morepoop4u; 08-27-2006 at 1:33 AM..
Old 08-27-2006, 8:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepoop4u
Looks like insight it is Is there a wallmart close by so I can get some wwb haha in 9 &.45. So they are cool with me supplying my own ammo when I rent from them. I can't bring my toys down since my friend doesn't have a safe and there's too many people in and out of his place. Thanx again for the help. .
http://insightrangeinc.com/shoot.html

Quote:
*All rented weapons must be loaded with Insight ammunition.
looks like you'll need to buy ammo from them if you rent from them. also, are you going there by yourself, or with others? if by yourself, you may want to call ahead and see if they'll allow rentals to lone individuals.
Old 08-27-2006, 8:56 AM

Try Sharpshooters in Torrance off of Western. Good guys, good range, can use your own ammo. Nice folks. Opens at 11:00 a.m. Google 'em for details and a map.
Old 08-27-2006, 9:02 AM

Insight is a nice place to shoot the people are very nice and most of the people that are regulars are friendly. I shoot there quite often.
Old 08-27-2006, 9:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsGuy
Try Sharpshooters in Torrance off of Western. Good guys, good range, can use your own ammo. Nice folks. Opens at 11:00 a.m. Google 'em for details and a map.
ah...forgot about them. i used to shoot there during my lunch hour when i worked in torrance.
Old 08-27-2006, 9:23 AM

Firing Line in Burbank would be closer than La Puente from Santa Monica.
You have to purchase their ammo if you rent a gun. You need to be in a party of 2 or more to rent. I think it's 20 bucks for one person to shoot. The other person is 10 bucks. Phone: (818) 954-9810

Ammo is about 10 bucks for a bag of 50. Might be a little more for the .45. You're looking at a sizeable chunk of change just to punch holes in paper.

I have an annual membership ($125), so I don't pay anything each time I shoot.

Randy
Old 08-27-2006, 12:00 PM

I probably go shooting witha a few of my buddies from LA.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartsGuy
I called them a couple of time but they were busy. Do you know how much they charge for rentals and ammo.
Old 08-29-2006, 1:26 PM

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier. Don't know the rental fee or ammo charge. Always bring my own gun(s) and ammo. Give 'em a call. They are a small but full up gun store as well. Lot's of rentals to choose from. I buy a 5 pass ticket for $35. Each time you go to the range they punch out one pass notch. Very economical if you plan to go a number of times. Don't know if they've raised the fee since I last bought a pass. They do PPT's as well, and the 10 day hold, of course.
Old 08-30-2006, 7:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I like LA GUN CLUB. Its nice there and the indoor range is nice the area is a little IFFY. They have a very large selection to rent including rifles and shotguns... they even have Mosins to rent.

The owners/workers are very nice. They have a C96 Mauser on display only.

LAX RANGE has its drawbacks. I never ran into a japanese guy there and I've been there many times. Theres a tall white guy... I believe hes the current owner. He's usually pissed on a busy day but on a relatively quiet day hes generally okay. Just look at the LAX CAM and if its busy.... don't go. They have a reasonable selection to rent and a large selecton of accessories... if they don't have it they will order it for you. They don't sell firearms though, the ones they have on display are for law enforcement only.

Theres sharpshooters over in torrance, thats a some ways away from LA. They are a quiet range.... one of the guys there is an ******* but hes not usually there. The other guys there are funny and decent. The range is quiet and large.

If you want to go to an outdoor range try Angeles Range... probably bout a 30 minute drive with SOME traffic. www.angelesrange.com Never been there or insight.
The volume of blood necessary to achieve erection would cause you to either pass out or if you didn't and managed to maintain an erection you would likely die from lack of oxygen to the heart and brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
Just be glad you are not his next door neighbor. I am sure there are "good tunes" flowing out the window. I am imagining a cop car pulling up at 1:30 AM asking "Are you having a party?" and Bundo sayin "Nope just me and the BG's"
Old 08-30-2006, 7:35 PM
Banned

one more for Firing Line in burbank. The staff is great and real friendly.