Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM

Default .40 S&W Unique load

I'd like to get some opinions on a .40 S&W load.
I'm using Berry's 180gr FP bullets, and am thinking of using 5.6 grains of Unique. Does this sound within spec? My previous .40 load was with a 135 grain bullet and 5.8 grains of Unique, and it was a pretty soft load. Obviously this larger bullet will compress the charge more, so I would use less powder. I am looking for a comparable or maybe slightly hotter (more like factory) load this time around.

My loading manual (Lyman 49th edition) shows 4.9-5.6 grains of Unique with a 180 grain bullet, although it is a Jacketed HP and I am not sure if you can compare these two bullets. I thought that as long as they were both jacketed and the same weight, then you could compare them - only the lead bullets would be different - is that true?

Stevespages.com shows 4.6 to 6.7 grains of Unique with a 180 grain bullet, Handloads.com shows 5.8 to 6.4, and the Alliant website has a recipe calling for 6.7 grains for a 180 grain GDHP.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdogz View Post
I thought that as long as they were both jacketed and the same weight, then you could compare them - only the lead bullets would be different - is that true?
No. Plated data falls right in between jacketed and lead. It's safest to load plated bullets with lead data because lead data will be less powder more than likely anyway.

Through my own experiences plated bullets really are closer to jacketed than lead. You just want to make sure not to push them too fast or you risk ripping the plating off the bullet.

So to answer your question, plated data is between jacketed and data, a little closer to the jacketed side IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 01-23-2011, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member

If your manual has 5.6gr as the highest load for 180gr jacketed bullets then you should definitely not start out at that load with plated bullets IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 01-23-2011, 11:19 AM

that is something interesting i noticed about the lyman reloading manual. Theres isnt a load chart for 180gr plated bullet just the JHP. Should I load them like JHP?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member

Out of an XD 5inch, I shoot 4.4gr at 930fps. It's just over major PF. I worked up to 5.4gr at 1050fps with no signs of pressure. This is with 180gr lead, in cold weather.

Anyways, for pistol, start at the minimum charge and work up by .2 is how I do it. Find one that reliably cycles, has acceptable accuracy and recoil. Check velocity if you have a chrono.
Old 01-24-2011, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
If your manual has 5.6gr as the highest load for 180gr jacketed bullets then you should definitely not start out at that load with plated bullets IMO.
That's why I was posting because I was confused by the discrepancy between the different recipes.
Old 01-24-2011, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1989 View Post
Out of an XD 5inch, I shoot 4.4gr at 930fps. It's just over major PF. I worked up to 5.4gr at 1050fps with no signs of pressure. This is with 180gr lead, in cold weather.

Anyways, for pistol, start at the minimum charge and work up by .2 is how I do it. Find one that reliably cycles, has acceptable accuracy and recoil. Check velocity if you have a chrono.
Thanks - this was with Unique?
Old 01-24-2011, 8:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, using unique