Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 08-21-2006, 6:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Sentry 10-gunner on the way!

Finally broke down and ordered that 10-gun Sentry safe through SprawlMart.

I had to, seeing as how the wife decreed that I cannot buy any more firearms until I buy a safe to put them in first (but hon, I only have 4 so far!). As usual, she knows best.

It came to $350 total with shipping. They're pretty vague about the delivery date -- it could come anytime between 9/1 and 9/14.

She would like it put out in the garage, but I'm not too keen on that idea. I'd much rather put it in the closet of a downstairs bedroom.
Old 08-23-2006, 1:58 PM

The 10 gun size is perfect for closets and having it in a closet makes it harder to break into.

Tell her you are saving the garage space for the big 50 gun safe you'll need when your collection grows.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Tell her you are saving the garage space for the big 50 gun safe you'll need when your collection grows.
I like the way you think.
Old 08-24-2006, 2:13 PM

The Sentry 10-guns are nice, but be sure you bolt it to the floor! They aren't very heavy. A set of sturdy bolts and anchors should come with it.

Oh, and ten guns is optimistic. It gets cramped in there pretty quick.
Old 08-24-2006, 3:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes, 10 guns is optimistic unless you're talking straight hunting or .22 rifles without scopes.

My 14 gun only holds 12 weapons very cramped...
Old 08-24-2006, 7:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Yeah, I almost bought the 14-gun model, but it was over $100 more and weighed around 300lbs, I think...

I've been buying about 2 guns per year and I have 3 rifles and a pistol so far... So hopefully this 10-gunner will last me a couple years before I fill it up and need to go bigger.

The shipping company left a message on my machine today saying the safe was in S.F, so it looks like I'm getting it earlier than originally predicted. Probably have them drop it off next Tuesday.

I'll sleep better at night and feel better when I'm at work knowing my guns are locked up, but more importantly I will have satisfied the wife's one demand that was preventing me from buying the next one.

Last edited by xrMike; 08-24-2006 at 7:28 PM..
Old 08-24-2006, 7:37 PM

I was thinking about the sentry 10 gun one but I bought a stack on one for $279 shipped from http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...id=body_rv_img

just enter august25 for the 25% off.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:28 PM

The Stackon 10 and 16 gun safes look interesting. I've been thinking about buying a bigger safe for all my guns, but it would have to go in the garage. Then I got to thinking it would be better to keep them split up in smaller safes in different locations in the house. Those Stackon's could be just what I'm looking for to add to the safes I already have. Thanks.

Randy
Old 08-25-2006, 6:40 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepoop4u
I was thinking about the sentry 10 gun one but I bought a stack on one for $279 shipped from http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...id=body_rv_img

just enter august25 for the 25% off.
Damn! I could've saved myself ~$70 if I would've bought that Stack-On one with the discount. I also like the interior of the Stack-On a little better -- it has a carpeted rack, and that shelf thingy on the inside of the door.

Ah well, what's done is done.
Old 08-25-2006, 4:58 PM

if they haven't shipped you could possibly cancel your order
Old 08-26-2006, 6:43 AM
Veteran Member

I bought the same one from Wallmart and when it arrived it was damaged. It was a piece of junk anyhow and it could barely hold three of my rifles. It took UPS over a week to pick it up and four weeks before Wallmart returned my money.

Very bad experience! I bought a Cannon C15 instead. It is a lot more money but it is fire rated and a tax write-off, it will pay for itself over a few years.

It has a gloss finish with an electronic combination. Cool thing about the safe is that it automatically locks when the door is closed.
Old 08-27-2006, 1:52 AM

well stack on just mailed me a notice letting me know its shipping so I'll let you guys know when it comes.
Old 08-27-2006, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassburns
The Stackon 10 and 16 gun safes look interesting. I've been thinking about buying a bigger safe for all my guns, but it would have to go in the garage. Then I got to thinking it would be better to keep them split up in smaller safes in different locations in the house. Those Stackon's could be just what I'm looking for to add to the safes I already have. Thanks.

Randy
Going with multiple safes is a good strategy, if there is a burglary, fire, or small flood you stand a better chance of not losing as many firearms. It may also save you in a home invasion.
Old 08-27-2006, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC
Going with multiple safes... may also save you in a home invasion.
How so? Would the invaders be focused on one safe allowing you to get your loaded firearms out of the other? Or save you in the sense that they would only be able to steal the contents of one safe thinking that was your only one?
Old 08-30-2006, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Well, it came on Monday. I'm satisfied with it.

It's heavy enough that it would take 2 guys to carry it out of the house. Nice-looking, durable black finish. I've got an AR, garand, and a scoped Winchester M100, and these 3 pieces take up about half of the space. I'm sure 3 more rifles would fit in there no problem. Plus a couple more pistols on the top shelf, no problem. It ought to last me a couple years at the current rate of acquisition.

It came with a couple bags of silica gel dessicant. Anyone know the process for drying that stuff out for re-use? How long in the oven at what temp?

I know I could use Damp-Rid, but I don't like the idea that the liquid that collects under the calcium chloride is pretty corrosive, so I don't want to use that stuff.
Old 08-30-2006, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrMike
It came with a couple bags of silica gel dessicant. Anyone know the process for drying that stuff out for re-use? How long in the oven at what temp?
My bags say "240 for 3 hours minimum".

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Default 10 Daisy Red Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMansDad
The Sentry 10-guns are nice, but be sure you bolt it to the floor! They aren't very heavy. A set of sturdy bolts and anchors should come with it.

Oh, and ten guns is optimistic. It gets cramped in there pretty quick.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:49 AM

I have that safe and have it bolted in the wall. Do the floor if you can, I can't wood floor, cement underneath. I would prefer something "tuffer" I think someone could get screwdriver and hammer and pry that thing open. crowbar would work to. I think it would take time but i think it can be done.