Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-13-2006, 2:56 PM

Default "Ratting" someone out at a indoor gun range

Would you “rat” some one out to the range master at a gun range for “range violations”? How many violations would it take for you to report some one to the range management? Or how serious of a violation would it take to do this?
Is it better range educate to talk to the range abuser instead of reporting them?

Last edited by pinheadbob2002; 08-13-2006 at 3:50 PM..
Old 08-13-2006, 2:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinheadbob2002
Would you “rat” some one out to the range master at a gun range for “range violations”? How many violations would it take for you to report some one to the range management? Or how serious of a violation would it take to do this?
Is it better range educate to talk to the range abuser instead of reporting them?
It's always preferable to educate someone as opposed to blindly diming them out...

J
Old 08-13-2006, 3:33 PM

^

agreed. id help them out and try develop a safe and comfortable environment for everyone

ratting is for use on annoying neighbors and damn yap-happy liberals
Old 08-13-2006, 3:48 PM
Calguns Addict

EDIT: he fixed it

Last edited by ohsmily; 08-13-2006 at 3:52 PM..
Old 08-13-2006, 3:51 PM

Quote:
At the range I go to, people only need to be reminded of the safety rules. At once place I had three guys in the next lane shooting in an unsafe manner (quite reckless, really). The range officer came over and reminded the guys that they should limit the speed of their shooting to what they could do and still control the firearm. When he left, the three of them started talking about 'getting him' after work. I left quickly and 'ratted' on these guys.
Old 08-13-2006, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily
I thought this thread would be about "rating" someone; as in, "to RATE"...

But, I guess you meant "RATTING someone out"....

Had you said "rating someone out" I would have known by the title...but you just "Rating someone at the range"...

I "rate" this thread....low...

My bad - next time I will be more careful!
Old 08-13-2006, 4:11 PM

What if the person is so clueless – talking to them may be useless. I was at a range and another customer hit the hanger 4 to 5 times with a rifle. When they broke the hanger- they moved to second lane – and broke that hanger. Then they went to a third lane and again hit the hanger- many times. They must have hit the hanger at least 20 times.
If you are taking head shots with a rifle – and you hit the hanger once or twice, you would either be more careful or not take head shots. This is basic common sense.
I shot a lot more then most people and I see lots of fools on the range. These fools usually abuse the range. When they abuse the range, range rules change to limit the abuse. Many indoor ranges do not allow shotguns- due to people constantly abusing the range and destroying hangers and ceiling tiles. Rules change – and those of us who respect private property tend to suffer.
I agree one should give someone the benefit of the doubt and talk to them first. This is the right thing to do.

Last edited by pinheadbob2002; 08-13-2006 at 4:13 PM..
Old 08-13-2006, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

That depends... if someone is shooting faster than the posted times? I usually won't be bothered if they appear to be somewhat capable.

As for saftey issues? Pointing a firearm anywhere but downrange and anything of the sort? Damn right I will scream at someone.
Old 08-13-2006, 4:37 PM

For rapid fire, I don't care at all.

Safety issues, I'll kindly inform them. If that doesn't work, I'll call the R.O. I will NOT yell at someone that has displayed unsafe use of a firearm that is still holding it.
Old 08-13-2006, 4:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by megavolt121
For rapid fire, I don't care at all.

Safety issues, I'll kindly inform them. If that doesn't work, I'll call the R.O. I will NOT yell at someone that has displayed unsafe use of a firearm that is still holding it.
I will, but my gun will be loaded, in hand. :P Depending on how bad and unsafe they're being, of course. If they're waving it all over the place... well... Hopefully I'll never have to decide on how to handle it.

I'm all for kindly informing people when they're doing something they shouldn't at a range. I've done it before, for minor stuff ("hey, if you do _____ much more, they're going to yell at you"). Most people say "oh. Had no idea they didn't allow that" and stop. If they're being a *****, or too stupid, though, damn straight I'd consider telling the range staff.

No sense letting morons screw up our hobby any more than we can prevent it.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 08-13-2006, 5:08 PM
Super Moderator

My only comment is that if you're going to yell at anyone or rat them out, be DARN SURE that they are the ones committing the offense.

I've had the range officer at one range come on over and tell my friend to stop double tapping. We protested, because it wasn't us, it was the guys next to us. He insisted that he saw us double tapping and warned us to stop. Our target was about 10 yards out with a tight one hole group - no joke. I lost all respect for the guy at that point and really have not gone back to this range all that much at all. I go to a competing range instead where they don't falsely accuse my guests of breaking the rules.

Turby
Old 08-13-2006, 5:20 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've stopped several shooters from doing stupid things on the range.

Watching them rapid fire and not hit a single shot on the target with a rented gun before the hired lackeys came out to yell at them and told em to stop before they got their asses thrown out.

I walked up with my shotgun, its usually wannabe gangbangers that don't even know how to hold the handgun thats causing the distraction.
The volume of blood necessary to achieve erection would cause you to either pass out or if you didn't and managed to maintain an erection you would likely die from lack of oxygen to the heart and brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
Just be glad you are not his next door neighbor. I am sure there are "good tunes" flowing out the window. I am imagining a cop car pulling up at 1:30 AM asking "Are you having a party?" and Bundo sayin "Nope just me and the BG's"
Old 08-13-2006, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryCoolCat
I've stopped several shooters from doing stupid things on the range.

Watching them rapid fire and not hit a single shot on the target with a rented gun before the hired lackeys came out to yell at them and told em to stop before they got their asses thrown out.

I walked up with my shotgun, its usually wannabe gangbangers that don't even know how to hold the handgun thats causing the distraction.

????
You walked up to someone- out side of your booth with a firearm. Isn't that a range violation?
Here is a cut of Jackson Arm's range rule. Every range I have been to has a similar rule
6) Muzzle of firearms(s) must be pointed downrange at all times. If leaving the shooting point temporarily, leave the firearm at the shooting point unloaded and with the action open, muzzle pointed downrange.
I would be pissed if some one corrects me; while being in the wrong himself.
Old 08-13-2006, 6:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
????
You walked up to someone- out side of your booth with a firearm. Isn't that a range violation?
Here is a cut of Jackson Arm's range rule. Every range I have been to has a similar rule
6) Muzzle of firearms(s) must be pointed downrange at all times. If leaving the shooting point temporarily, leave the firearm at the shooting point unloaded and with the action open, muzzle pointed downrange.
I would be pissed if some one corrects me; while being in the wrong himself.
The guys at the range know me and this place is located in a horrible place, most of the times they don't even care what goes on at the range i.e. rapid fire, some ghetto gangbanger screaming while shooting the rented shotgun.

I wouldn't consider any person there an RO, except the owner and hes an *******.
The volume of blood necessary to achieve erection would cause you to either pass out or if you didn't and managed to maintain an erection you would likely die from lack of oxygen to the heart and brain.
Quote:
Just be glad you are not his next door neighbor. I am sure there are "good tunes" flowing out the window. I am imagining a cop car pulling up at 1:30 AM asking "Are you having a party?" and Bundo sayin "Nope just me and the BG's"
Old 08-13-2006, 7:09 PM

Depends on the situation, if its poor gun handling or someone not following the rules because they dont know any better then yeah i help them out. On the other hand if someone is acting crazy i.e. "gangstas" shooting all over the place or some crazy war vet walking out into the range while people are shooting then i will go to the office and say something. ( we dont have an RO)
Old 08-13-2006, 7:18 PM

In my earlier years, I was corrected on range etiquette and quickly changed my behavior. The suggestions were done in a professional and mature manner, which I appreciated (it wasn't anything life threatening). IF I did do something that could possibly injure myself or others, I would hope someone would yell out, "Hey moron!"

Customer-to-customer, hopefully a few kind words would go a long way. If that doesn't seem to alter the behavior(s), then, yes, a talk with the RO would be in order.

To the OP, are you experiencing a repeated disregard for the rules by other customers? Or are you just wondering?
Old 08-13-2006, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

The only time I have ratted someone out was when my neighbor showed up with his kids (12 and 16) to shoot. He was drunk 24X7 so the second he walked into the range area I had a bad feeling. Only took me a couple more seconds to see that he was drunk again so I packed up my stuff and walked out of the range area in to the shop. I pulled aside the owner of the place and told him about my neighbor and ask if they could watch him because I know the guy and he should never be holding a gun with his problems. Not 30 seconds later he was doing rapped fire and swinging the gun around pointing it down the line while talking to the guy in the next bay. Shop owner grabbed a couple workers and went inside to ask him to leave.

I moved away a year later but I still see him all the time riding a bike around town. He had a nice truck but I guess the courts decided he was not worthy to drive. I always felt sorry for his kids . Having a drunk for a dad who is always getting in trouble must be tough. My moms dad was a drunk till the day he died and I know my mom had a really hard time growing up with him. So sad.

Last edited by bu-bye; 08-13-2006 at 7:45 PM..
Old 08-13-2006, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryCoolCat
The guys at the range know me and this place is located in a horrible place, most of the times they don't even care what goes on at the range i.e. rapid fire, some ghetto gangbanger screaming while shooting the rented shotgun.

I wouldn't consider any person there an RO, except the owner and hes an *******.

so what range is this?
Old 08-13-2006, 10:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
so what range is this?
I'd rather not say... I don't want to get anyone in trouble with what i posted, or worse... see the closest to me cheapest indoor range shut down.
Quote:
Old 08-13-2006, 10:55 PM

I say rat them out, and let the rangemaster deal with the offender's reaction. Like, Jackson Arms gives one warning for hitting the walls, floor, ceiling, etc, etc...I'd rat them out for that. Although part of me would want to talk to the shooter, especially if I invested in a membership at the range (and hate seeing hanger taps or ceiling hits), I'd want to keep it as anonymous as possible, and as uncomplicated. More or less trivial stuff.

But, for unsafe gun-handling (not following basic firearm safety, not so trivial), Jackson Arms' policy is immediate ejection. At that point, with the unsafe gun-handling, I'd say it's a judgement call if another shooter wants to correct the person ...who knows why the person is unsafe. Could be either just a new shooter, or someone unstable/drunk/macho, as gun ranges tend to attract some unsavory types. If i was doubtful one bit, I'd talk to the rangemaster.
Old 08-14-2006, 1:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

My shooting buddy, Phil, and I have had to remind folks several times about safe gun handling at a local indoor range.

Typical scene: the lane had 3 younger guys and they're so eager to shoot they hand the gun to each other before getting into lane position. I was a little concerned about their barrel discipline and had to tell them _twice_ to leave the gun on the table between shooter changes. I was surprised the rangemaster didn't do anything but it wa a full afternoon or evening and he was probably overtaxed watching all lanes. Other incidences were variations of this.

Other times, something has happened - misfire/jam, etc. - and the newbie shooter wants to inspect the (loaded, cocked) gun's side profile and it's no longer being pointed downrange and is within 15-20 degrees of perpindicular to range (i..e, fairly well toward shooters).

Whenever I feel like something unsafe is or will occur around me, I deal directly with the source.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-14-2006, 7:12 AM
Internet Dictator

i've been to a range where i just felt unsafe 'cause of the guy next to me. most times, i try to help him out, teach him how to handle a weapon properly. and usually, after they see their accuracy take a boost, they appreciate it.

if they tell me to go have an intimate relationship with myself, i usually ask the rangemaster if he can move me. doesn't take long for them to ask the @$$hat to leave...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 08-14-2006, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

If somebody is crossing the red-line during cease-fire, with other shooters down range, I'll kindly tell them it's against the rules and why. Most people say, "Thanks, it's my first time here and I didn't know that."

This hasn't happened to me yet, but if I ever see somebody sweeping me or the rest of the line with their muzzle, I'd have no problem telling them very sternly that they're endangering other people's lives, and I'd go over the basic rules of gun safety with them. If they did it again after my warning, I'd pack up my stuff and leave, but tell the rangemaster on my way out. Give 'em one chance. After that it's not "ratting somebody out", it's taking responsibility for the safety of your fellow shooters.

Last edited by xrMike; 08-14-2006 at 9:14 AM..
Old 08-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treelogger
Was that at a certain shooting range in Watsonville? Which I consider to be the friendliest range and gun shop in the (extended) bay area?
Yes it was.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treelogger
Was that at a certain shooting range in Watsonville? Which I consider to be the friendliest range and gun shop in the (extended) bay area?

My story about that place: I was happily shooting away with a few colleagues, when suddenly my target hanger started swinging around madly, and had a telltale silvery spot on the metal. Funny thing - I had been in the middle of reloading! The very experienced shooter (and colleague) next to me came over, and told me that I had been a very very bad boy. I pleaded innocence. A moment later, another shooter from the other end of the range came over, and apologized profusely for hitting my target holder, being terribly embarrassed. I guess in technical terms he had suffered an "unintended discharge". The poor embarrased guy went outside to the counter right away to tell the staff what he hed done. Seems the staff was cool, and didn't chew him out.

To get back to the original question: I've not had to complain to either a shooter or to the staff, yet. What would I do if I saw something really unsafe? Maybe if the shooter looks inexperienced, I would politely tell them what they are doing wrong; most likely they would very quickly learn from their mistake, once someone tells them it is a mistake. If the shooter looks like an ******* trying to be super-macho, I would go and get the RO or the staff. What I have done (at a range that shall remain nameless, but it has a reputation for having for too many wannabee gangbangers hanging out there): pack up my stuff, leave, and when checking out tell the staff that I'm leaving early because the wannabee gangbangers are acting out their agressions again.

That guy did the right thing! I was at a range this week and this idiot shooter hit the hanger at least 20 times with a M1A rifle -full size. The idiot did not even bother to tell the range workers. He hits a hanger with a 308 and breaks the hanger. Then he moves to another lane - breaks that hanger. Then he moves to a third lane. He did not even think he was doing something wrong. Even if it is not a range rule, you still have to respect other people’s property. People like this are the reason we have so many laws. Some people are to dumb to get it.
When I was done shooting - left. When I checked out - I informed the range people. The range people needed to keep a better on there customers- that’s there job. I am sure the owner wonders why his maintenance costs are so high.
They had 4 people behind the counter. Two of them where doing nothing. It was not hard to spot a guy who was hitting the hanger every third shot.

Last edited by pinheadbob2002; 08-15-2006 at 6:11 AM..
Old 08-14-2006, 10:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My local shooting range doesnt allow and desert eagles at all because of a single violation of range safety. This guy kept putting on the fifty barrel and kept shooting. The jacket supposedly splattered back and hit other customers at the range and the owner had to break out the first aid kit. He said he talked to the guy and the guy played dumb and claimed he was not doing anything wrong (range has a max .44mag rules) so the range master backed down and didnt want to get involved. The people next to him said that the guy would swap out the berral when the range master came in. other customers around him claimed to be "in fear for their life" so didnt want to tell on the range master.
The other customers should of said something. I doubt things would of gotten ugly. The range master should of been in more control of the range and not back down. He claimed later that there was .50ae casings everywhere and if that was the case, it doesnt take a rocket scientist to look down and grab one to have an excuse to kick the violator off. I would like to think that I would say something both to him and to the range officer. I doubt he would of used it against me if i did rat him out.