Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 08-13-2006, 8:01 PM
Veteran Member

Default FA cert for sale in CA

I am in the market for a wheelgun and I was looking at the DOJ CA website when I found this:

Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale

Handgun models will be removed from the roster on the list expiration date unless the manufacturer renews the listing prior to the list expiration date.

There are 3 matching records for Rossi
The matching records list is sorted by Make
This list is valid for Sunday, August 13, 2006

Model Gun Type Barrel Length Caliber Exp Date
R352 Stainless / Stainless Steel Revolver 2" .38 Spl 1/19/2007
R461 Blue / Blue Steel Revolver 2" .357 Magnum 7/1/2007
R971 / Steel Revolver 4" .357 Magnum 7/23/2007

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp

I was in a gun store somewhere in Ventura County and they have a Rossi R851 which is not listed. The revo is NIB and I also check DOJ website if it was recently removed form the list, and it's not.

Supposing I bought the revo without knowing that it's not in the list, what are the possible laws I'm breaking? What happens to the gun store? Now I'm beginning to think the reason why they are selling it cheap.

I just hope that they had that stock over the years and not breaking any law.

Last edited by vega; 08-13-2006 at 8:04 PM..
Old 08-13-2006, 10:31 PM

I thought that revolvers weren't subject to "the list"... are they also subject to safety testing just like autos?
Old 08-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone
I thought that revolvers weren't subject to "the list"... are they also subject to safety testing just like autos?
Revolvers are subject to "the list". But most single action revolvers are exempt.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 08-13-2006, 11:24 PM

Oh crap... and so far i've only been hoarding autos. Guess it's time to get that .357 and .44 before they're banned too!
Old 08-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

It is not Cowboy SA.

I plan on going there this pm and find out what's the deal. If it's clean and they had it over the years I'll take it. The FA in question is NIB and not consigned. They have another display rack for consigned FAs.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega
It is not Cowboy SA.

I plan on going there this pm and find out what's the deal. If it's clean and they had it over the years I'll take it. The FA in question is NIB and not consigned. They have another display rack for consigned FAs.

You missed what someone was saying in an earlier post. It MUST be a private party transfer (consignment) for it to be legal for the store to sell that revolver if it isn't on the list. The store simply having had it in their inventory when the revolver was on the list, or even before there was a list, would not exempt them from it being a restricted item.

Once a pistol falls off the list it becomes illegal as a dealer sale item, even if it was on the shelves in the store when it was on the list. I.E, @ our shop we had a nice Colt Special Edition .38 Super 1911 on the shelves, Colt didn't renew it, it fell off the list, and we can no longer sell it to civilians. We pushed it off to a side display and marked it L.E. only (L.E.O.s are exempt from the list).

As was said, you probably can't get into any trouble for buying this revolver either way, but it must be a private party transfer for it to be legal from the shop's perspective. Talk to the shop and get more info and make up your mind as you will.
Old 08-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

Got it, thanks for he clarification.

ETA - Just got off the phone with them, the unit is a consigned FA and not new. When I was talking with the dealer he told me all those in that shelves are new.
Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by vega; 08-14-2006 at 12:11 PM..
Old 08-14-2006, 6:03 PM

What does FA mean? I assumed Freedom Arms revolver, but you're looking at Rossi, so I'm confused.
Old 08-14-2006, 8:11 PM

Default LEO then private party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick_711
Once a pistol falls off the list it becomes illegal as a dealer sale item, even if it was on the shelves in the store when it was on the list. I.E, @ our shop we had a nice Colt Special Edition .38 Super 1911 on the shelves, Colt didn't renew it, it fell off the list, and we can no longer sell it to civilians. We pushed it off to a side display and marked it L.E. only (L.E.O.s are exempt from the list).
Does this mean a LEO can purchase it, and then sell it via private party in say 6 months?
Old 08-14-2006, 9:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefflyn
What does FA mean? I assumed Freedom Arms revolver, but you're looking at Rossi, so I'm confused.
FA= firearm
Old 08-14-2006, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega
FA= firearm
Man... too many abbreivations... for a second there I thought FA=full auto... FULL AUTO REVOLVER??!! What the f*ck!! Where do I get one. haha

Ken