Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 01-13-2011, 1:09 PM

Default DOJ hold on gun

I recently purchased a M&P40c from Bass Pro. Yesterday was the 10th day, but due to store policy I couldn't pick it up until today. Well I got a phone call from Bass Pro yesterday afternoon and they said the DOJ had put a hold on my gun and I wouldn't be able to pick it up until the DOJ got back to them. According to the lady, I passed the background (which i should), but there was something going on with the gun and they hope to hear from the DOJ today or tomorrow and they would call me when it was resolved.

Question is what is going on here? M&P is a common gun sold in CA. Just doesn't make sense to me.

The even better part is, if they don't release it today I will not be able to pick it up for a least a week.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2011, 1:17 PM
Veteran Member

If you purchased it NIB, the only thing I can think of going wrong with the gun would be the SN was entered incorrectly.

Old 01-13-2011, 3:22 PM

Either that or some other identifying characteristic didn't match what's on file with DOJ. That said, "putting a hold on the gun" could be a generic phrase meaning any one of a hundred things. It could be the delay is actually on you as a buyer. Do you owe money to DMV? If so, there could be a DMV hold on it.
”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
~Unknown

”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
Old 01-13-2011, 3:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The M&P with the thumb safety and no magazine safety is not on the "Roster". Did they sell you the wrong gun?

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 01-13-2011, 3:38 PM
Calguns Addict

DOJ will place holds based on DMV, I have a DMV issue with a vehicle I havent had for a long time that they say is owed registration, will that get a hold on me? Heck I just applied for a CCW, will that be a problem?
Old 01-13-2011, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
DOJ will place holds based on DMV, I have a DMV issue with a vehicle I havent had for a long time that they say is owed registration, will that get a hold on me? Heck I just applied for a CCW, will that be a problem?
DOJ can deny a DROS if money is owed to the DMV. I do not know for certain if it will delay a CCW application, as that is done through local government.
”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
~Unknown

”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
Old 01-13-2011, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

That just sucks, I've been to them a couple times about this, maybe they got it taken care of by now
Old 01-13-2011, 6:10 PM

Looks like they said it was a M&P9c on the DROS. I know the handwritten one said 40 but I just checked the copy of the electronic one they gave me and it is a 9mm. Not very happy with Bass Pro at this point.
Old 01-13-2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrvrrat View Post
Looks like they said it was a M&P9c on the DROS. I know the handwritten one said 40 but I just checked the copy of the electronic one they gave me and it is a 9mm. Not very happy with Bass Pro at this point.
In that event...should just be waiting on the go-ahead from DOJ...so probably nothing to worry about.
~Unknown

~George Washington
Old 01-14-2011, 6:10 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Most likely they accidentally scanned the model number in as the serial number. I know that one from experience because there are some handguns out there that are reported stolen and the same mistake was made. They were reported stolen with the model numbers as the serial numbers so now anytime anyone does that on accident, they get flagged as stolen and then the DOJ calls the store and the store says, "Ooops, sorry we screwed that up, here are the real serial numbers."

Accidentally DROSing it from the drop down menu as something else is not going to get it flagged as the DOJ has no way to know it was DROSed as the wrong gun.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation