Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

Default Kel Tec SU-16 durability (How many rounds you got?)

Hey guys...

I am thinking of getting an SU-16 and I was wondering what kind of service life do they have?

Would it be possible to run 30K rounds thru one or will it die after 5000?

I like to shoot a lot, I want a gun thats light and accurate and CA legal w/no PG so I can use my legal mags. The Kel Tec seems to fit the bill, but its plastic construction worries me.

Do you need to lube them like an AR to make them run?

J
Old 08-12-2006, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

What's the warranty on these?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

well, i have a SU-16B for about a year now. i have about 5000k thru it. i have had more problems with after market magazines than the rifle itself.

my rifle needs to be cleaned every 200 rounds or so. sometimes around 100 rounds, it it start to jam. more so, it fails to eject the round. i have fixed that problem by putting some oil down the barrel. that always solves the problem.

i'm expecting to get another 5000k rounds without much problem. it is a fun rifle to shoot, but i would not rely my life on it.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschronic

i'm expecting to get another 5000k rounds without much problem. it is a fun rifle to shoot, but i would not rely my life on it.
Good to know...

Was it sticking rounds in the chamber with WOLF or brass ammo?

Im just wondering if it would be a good replacement rifle for an SKS.

I was thinking of getting an OLL AR-15 and a Kel Tec to replace my SKS...

J
Old 08-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
i have fixed that problem by putting some oil down the barrel. that always solves the problem.
Oil down the barrel or in the chamber in any rifle is a really bad idea. You should be swabbing your barrel before you shoot to remove all oil and lubrication. Leaving oil and other lube in can lead to high chamber pressures and possible catastrophic failures or minor damage.

Read your rifle's manual...
Old 08-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPglee1
Good to know...

Was it sticking rounds in the chamber with WOLF or brass ammo?

Im just wondering if it would be a good replacement rifle for an SKS.

I was thinking of getting an OLL AR-15 and a Kel Tec to replace my SKS...

J

wolf ammo will jam about every other round in the kel-tec. brass does much better. yet, when it is kinda dirty, it will start to jam. i do know the warranty is lifetime as long as you are the original owner of the rifle.

SKS is a solid rifle compared to kel-tec. IMO. SKS will suck up wolf ammo without any problems. i would keep both if it is possible.

kel-tec is fun to shoot. i will say that.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily
Oil down the barrel or in the chamber in any rifle is a really bad idea. You should be swabbing your barrel before you shoot to remove all oil and lubrication. Leaving oil and other lube in can lead to high chamber pressures and possible catastrophic failures or minor damage.

Read your rifle's manual...

really??? wow...i didn't know that. i was on a kel-tec forum and people were telling me to put some drops of oil down the the barrel to solve the extraction problem.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
really??? wow...i didn't know that. i was on a kel-tec forum and people were telling me to put some drops of oil down the the barrel to solve the extraction problem.
They meant in the CHAMBER, not the rifled portion of the barrel

My SKS is an OK rifle but Im burnt out on 762x39 not being around. I can get a box of .223 in any Wal Mart. I think I might go for a Mini-14 instead, I wanted the keltec to use all my legal mags.

J
Old 08-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

JP,

i have been thinking about the A team rifle too!!! everytime i see anything A team, i think of mini 14. i think as long as the magazine is good, you should not have much problem with the kel-tec.

on a side note, i'll be heading out to the location you always talk about in barstow. i will be there on tuesday to do some shooting. i have been told that BLM land is not a good place to shoot OLL's. have you heard anything regarding that?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
i have been told that BLM land is not a good place to shoot OLL's. have you heard anything regarding that?
Stop by and pick me up, I'll go out with yah

BLM land is great to shoot whatever you want. Just don't be a pig, pack it in pack it out. I usually take OTHER PEOPLEs trash with me to clean up some.

You gonna be going out on the 15? I'd like to go with yah, show you the spot.

J
Old 08-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Calguns Addict

interesting. i used to want a keltec as well before the oll craze. but it seemed expensive i thought it would only work for about 600-1000rd at most. wow 5000 + i am impressed that is good to hear!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Stop by and pick me up, I'll go out with yah

BLM land is great to shoot whatever you want. Just don't be a pig, pack it in pack it out. I usually take OTHER PEOPLEs trash with me to clean up some.

You gonna be going out on the 15? I'd like to go with yah, show you the spot.

J

that shouldn't be a problem. PM sent.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbertquartz2
interesting. i used to want a keltec as well before the oll craze. but it seemed expensive i thought it would only work for about 600-1000rd at most. wow 5000 + i am impressed that is good to hear!
600-1000 rounds? You must not shoot very much (or have high expectations at all.) I could shoot that much in maximum 2 range trips .
Old 08-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbertquartz2

even thought the kel-tec feels like a toy, it still shoots well. i've shot the metal targets at angels outdoor range and hit it 29-30 times. its shoots nice. i'm going to guess that you should at least be able to get 10K rounds out of the kel-tec without much of a hitch.

with that said, i still prefer shooing my OLL. it just makes me feel like a man.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have about 3k rounds through mine
DO NOT USE WOLF with this rifle
The chamber heats up quickly and cooks the enamel/lacquer coating off the Wolf cases and before too long you will have to find a rod to tap the case out because the extractor will have ripped a piece off of the rim off the stuck case.
This would happen to me by the 50th round of a shoot, then I'd tap it out, chamber brush it then good to go for another 50 or so.
Since I stopped putting Wolf 223 through the SU, I have gone 400+ rounds without a stuck case or any other malfunction and will take it out for another couple hundred next week.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW
I have about 3k rounds through mine
DO NOT USE WOLF with this rifle
The chamber heats up quickly and cooks the enamel/lacquer coating off the Wolf cases and before too long you will have to find a rod to tap the case out because the extractor will have ripped a piece off of the rim off the stuck case.
This would happen to me by the 50th round of a shoot, then I'd tap it out, chamber brush it then good to go for another 50 or so.
Since I stopped putting Wolf 223 through the SU, I have gone 400+ rounds without a stuck case or any other malfunction and will take it out for another couple hundred next week.

i totally agree with you GW!!! wolf sucks on the kel-tec's.

oh, i'm not sure if anybody else has this problem with the keltec. the screws on the sides of the rifle starts to come lose. i just tighten them whenever they get lose.

anybody has this problem?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:30 PM
Calguns Addict

I had about 1.200 rounds through my A model before I sold witout any hicups. Did not use Wolf, mostly XM193 or AE .223.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

How is the felt recoil compared to a light weight AR-15 OLL??

Ive shot OLLs from 16" up to 24", I like the way a 16" feels, how does that compare to an SU16?

J
Old 08-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
How is the felt recoil compared to a light weight AR-15 OLL??

Ive shot OLLs from 16" up to 24", I like the way a 16" feels, how does that compare to an SU16?

J

SU kick more than the AR's. not a lot more. i don't have any problems shooting it 400 rounds.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah, kick is negligible
It's only a 223 for gosh sake!
and yes I had to screw in one of the side screws but only once, so far...
Old 08-13-2006, 1:04 AM

Quote:
My SKS is an OK rifle but Im burnt out on 762x39 not being around. I can get a box of .223 in any Wal Mart. I think I might go for a Mini-14 instead, I wanted the keltec to use all my legal mags.
I would go with the Mini-14. It is solid gun. The Kel-Tec is fun to shoot, but it doesnt feel solid to me. It kinda feels like a toy. The Mini-14 is a great plinking rifle, and I have never had a jam in over 800+ rounds of PMC's cheapest line of ammo. I would trust my life with it, i mean cmon, it is a garand style action! Accuracy isnt as bad as people claim either. Disassembly is easy, and so is cleaning. The only thing I despise about the Mini is the after market mags (I have 2 5's, a 10, and 2 legal 20's.)

Last edited by Mudvayne540ld; 08-13-2006 at 1:11 AM..
Old 08-13-2006, 1:14 AM
Super Moderator

The SU-16CA (get this one if you get an SU-16; ignore the A model) is nice. I've got one with a few hundred rounds through it.
Old 08-13-2006, 8:34 AM

i had a su16a, and its firing pin snapped somewhere just over the 1000 round point. interesting to note that it did keep shooting (though i have noticed more light strikes), and i didn't notice until i stripped it down for a detail cleaning. kel-tec's customer service is supposed to be great, but i'd rather have a gun that can take abuse. oh, and it definitely kicks more than any ar i've played with in the past. i've since sold it, but if i weren't consolidating calibers i might give a more recent model another shot.
Old 08-13-2006, 8:57 AM

i have a SV16B withabout alittle over 4,000 round of difrent ammo never had a problem its been a good gun for me very happy with it
Old 08-13-2006, 9:41 AM

I've had an "A" for about 2 yrs now. Dont shoot it much so it only has about 2-3k rounds through it. No problems yet but I only shoot q3131a through it (1k q3131) and use quality mags (I rarely use the factory 10 rnd ones). I would never use wolf ammo in it.

The problems Ive had so far have been a broken firing pin and some rust on the screws and gas block area when I put it away dirty a while back. Kel-tec sent out 2 replacement firing pins real quick after I told them about it and a quick wipe of CLP got the rust off.

Accuracy is pretty good and recoil for me is a little better compared to an AR. Plus I like the small size when its folded. I would have gotten a "CA" if they were around at the time. It would be nice to have a shorter threaded barrel and iron sights.

At the time I was choosing between the SU, mini-14 and M96. The mini got kicked out because of friends telling me about crappy aftermarket mags and accuracy issues. The M96 got kicked out because of the price and the silly stub where the grip used to be. The SU won because of the ability to use AR mags and it was priced ok.
Old 08-13-2006, 6:26 PM

for me, accuracy is only really an issue when the barrel gets hot. Both Kel-Tec and the Mini have really thin barrels tho.
I got my Mini $540 OTD in Montana. Came with 2 5's and scope rings.
Old 08-13-2006, 6:35 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Don't forget the SU16 is a "toy" and not a serious rifle. You can't really use it for rapid plinking like a AR15 or MINI.

You can't compare the SU16 to the SKS... the SU16 was a "sport" rifle. The MINI-14 is a cheap non-pistolgrip substitute for .223.

Comparing the SKS to an SU-16 would be comparing a vietnam era hummer to a modern day ATV.
The volume of blood necessary to achieve erection would cause you to either pass out or if you didn't and managed to maintain an erection you would likely die from lack of oxygen to the heart and brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
Just be glad you are not his next door neighbor. I am sure there are "good tunes" flowing out the window. I am imagining a cop car pulling up at 1:30 AM asking "Are you having a party?" and Bundo sayin "Nope just me and the BG's"
Old 08-13-2006, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryCoolCat
Comparing the SKS to an SU-16 would be comparing a vietnam era hummer to a modern day ATV.
Did we even have M998's in Viet Nam ... the only hummers I recall back then were ....

Paul some times of AR15.com
Old 08-13-2006, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Don't forget the SU16 is a "toy" and not a serious rifle. You can't really use it for rapid plinking like a AR15 or MINI.
Erm, few things could be farther from the truth.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaB...num=1107839748

The CA configuration is really good at rapid plinking. And given a choice of SU-16 or Mini, I'd take the SU-16 in a cold second for ANY purpose whatsoever, over the Mini. Unless of course the purpose was firewood, as the SU-16 isn't very burnable.
Old 08-14-2006, 7:10 AM

I have had the similiar problems discussed here. I had rust develop on the gas block area and had to scrub it down to get it off. I also have had is FTE after shooting it for awhile. The manual says to strip it down after 500 rounds for cleaning. My method is to strip it down each time I take it out. The stock would be great if it wasn't a two piece plastic with lots of screws. the bipod also comes loose on ocassion.
The new accessory rail handguard looks promising but $45 is a bit much. I wish I could combine the best of the Mini-14 and the Su-16. The SU-16 using AR mags is one of the greatest selling features. I always tell my friends that if I was equipping a third world army, the SU-16 is what I would use. Just my humble .02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Sobchak
"Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't fn'g ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as sh[t DON"T FN'G ROLL!!"
Old 08-14-2006, 4:35 PM

I've been to several two day rifle courses where the round count is 1500-1800 over two days. The instructors say that the Kel Tecs do not make it through the course. My mini's held up so far!
Old 08-14-2006, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

You can't compare the SU16 to the SKS... the SU16 was a "sport" rifle. The MINI-14 is a cheap non-pistolgrip substitute for .223.

Old 08-14-2006, 5:14 PM

well..... the war obviously lasted longer then we knew about! 0_o
73' my fixed mag AR!
Old 08-14-2006, 5:42 PM
Vendor/Retailer

My SU16a died after about 1500rounds. Kel-tec's warranty is supposed to be awesome, but I am a little leery of even sending a gun away these days. When I get around to it I am sure they will fix it up.

The problem: something went wrong in the BCG, causeing the FRP/Nylon reciever material to get so severely galled that the weapon locked with the bolt 3/4ths open, and can no longer be moved.

I'll stick to (even neutured) ARs.

Postings are my own, and are not formal positions of any other entity, or legal advice.
Old 08-14-2006, 5:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artherd
My SU16a died after about 1500rounds. Kel-tec's warranty is supposed to be awesome, but I am a little leery of even sending a gun away these days. When I get around to it I am sure they will fix it up.

The problem: something went wrong in the BCG, causeing the FRP/Nylon reciever material to get so severely galled that the weapon locked with the bolt 3/4ths open, and can no longer be moved.

I'll stick to (even neutured) ARs.

Spray a buttload of WD40 or CLP in there and start tapping on it with a hammer.

Hehe, you should see the things I've done to rifles to un stick them

J
Old 08-14-2006, 5:50 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hehe, you should see the things I've done to rifles to un stick them

J
I can just imagine...poor guns.
Old 08-14-2006, 5:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkA4alb
I can just imagine...poor guns. :
Better to free up a stuck clunker and let it shoot, then throw it away, right?

Usually its just a matter of some WD40, a little propane torch and a good kick with a boot

J
Old 08-14-2006, 5:56 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Better to free up a stuck clunker and let it shoot, then throw it away, right?

Usually its just a matter of some WD40, a little propane torch and a good kick with a boot

J
I was thinking more along the lines of.. "Alright dude, I'll tie the string to the carrier. You stand on the ground and I'll go to the roof..."
Old 08-14-2006, 7:50 PM
Veteran Member

Around 4K rounds through my SU-16CA and not one problem. It did jam a few times while in the hands of a bunch of noobs. They fired around 800 rounds through her in half a day without oiling it. CLP took care of this problem and the rifle was back in business. I don't plan on clubbing anyone with any rilfe I own so I don't worry about that stuff. If it shoots wells (sub MOA...check) and its reliable (4K with no problems....check) then I'm a happy camper. No, its not a war battle rifle but it will hold up to what ever us civy's need it for.

Yes, for me the selling point was the fact that I could use my old AR 30rd mags.
Old 08-14-2006, 8:00 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Lol Smiley, I thought about going there, too.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member