Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 08-12-2006, 6:00 PM
Veteran Member

Default Can I find a decent safe for under $300?

All I need is a safe to hold at least 3 rifles. Also if it had a place for some handguns as well that would also be nice (I don't know much about how these things are typically setup).

The main concern is that it would be in a closet where moisture is an issue.

Can it be done?
Freelance web designer. PM for info.
Old 08-12-2006, 6:33 PM

If you can wait until the Day after Thanksgiving sale Lowe's usually has a safe for sale.

Last year it was the Sentry 5251 for $297.

Pu6t some desicant in it and you are all set to go.
Old 08-12-2006, 8:22 PM

I looked at the Home Depot $300 or so Sentry. It would do sort of, but my collection is growing and I want better fire protection.
I'm looking at Sturdy Safes and Visalia Safes; both small companies that make their safes here in California.
You may want to check out Sam's Club; they have a "Winchester" safe for about $600 that's considerably better.
Old 08-12-2006, 8:56 PM

Good Safe? No...

Gun Locker, yes. Just make sure to pack it full of dessicant and maybe a Dri-rod.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

If you don't care about fire protection, Wal-Mart has a 10 gun Sentry safe (not cabinet) for $238. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4564314
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAutoSam
Ive been looking at this kind of safe and haven't been able to find this kind of protection at home depot or lowes, Maybe there is a safes R us near by.

http://www.directsafes.com/burglary-...m?ProductID=30
That's nice. I eventually want to get one like that one day.

For now, though, those safes at Wal-Mart look fine. They even have one on there for just under $150!
Freelance web designer. PM for info.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Ive been looking at this kind of safe and haven't been able to find this kind of protection at home depot or lowes, Maybe there is a safes R us near by.

That's a darn good price for a TL-30 safe. Other things being equal, I'd tend to want the larger 6034 or 6836, but cost (+$1350 for 20 cu ft more is rational, if I have the $$) and delivery time are issues. (Roughly $1/pound delivered and installed is what I think is fair.)

But I don't think that's the business any of the home centers are in; finding a real safe outside the safe/security/locksmith market is less likely.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 08-13-2006, 4:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

That thing weighs a ton an a half! Awesome, but I doubt you'd even be able to keep that inside a house with a raised foundation as you'd quickly exceed the floor loading capabilities. Cool safe though.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 08-13-2006, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbinger
Good Safe? No...

Gun Locker, yes. Just make sure to pack it full of dessicant and maybe a Dri-rod.
I have a gun locker in my closet. The dessicant seems to always need changing. I keep the guns in sack-em's (can get them cheap at Turners).

I originally bought the six-gun locker it for two long guns and now it's full with five, leaving no room for the planned C&R collection.

I recommend not going with a gun locker if you have concerns about moisture. I had concerns about moisture and I see that they were well-founded. It's painful to think about spending so much for a safe, but just think about the cost of the rifles being protected.
Old 08-13-2006, 7:47 PM
Veteran Member

Check costco.com

I got my small 8 rifle safe at Western Safe here locally. Fire resistant to 1750 degrees for 1 hour.

Not too shabby for $800 new. Weight was about 300lbs.

I'm about to upgrade to a 30cu/ft safe to hold more of my collection and inportant paperwork. If and when I do upgrade, I'll list it here for the locals first.
Old 08-13-2006, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift
I have a gun locker in my closet. The dessicant seems to always need changing. I keep the guns in sack-em's (can get them cheap at Turners).

I originally bought the six-gun locker it for two long guns and now it's full with five, leaving no room for the planned C&R collection.

I recommend not going with a gun locker if you have concerns about moisture. I had concerns about moisture and I see that they were well-founded. It's painful to think about spending so much for a safe, but just think about the cost of the rifles being protected.
What gun locker did you go with? I am in the market for one.
Old 08-14-2006, 7:06 AM
Internet Dictator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

if you're just lookin' for somethin to keep the kids out: http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus.../gc-908-5.html

you can find one online for about $120 or so. they ain't bad, but they're not exactly fort knox...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 08-14-2006, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkwong
What gun locker did you go with? I am in the market for one.
I bought a homak 6-gun locker for $149 or so. It actually only holds 2-3 scoped rifles. It probalby would hold 6 shotguns though.
Old 08-14-2006, 7:43 PM

Default SemiAutoSam

Don't know where you are located but Security Safe in Hayward deals in used TL safes and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at their prices and service. Good luck.
Old 08-14-2006, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon
Don't know where you are located but Security Safe in Hayward deals in used TL safes and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at their prices and service. Good luck.
Hmmm... I might have to stop by on my way home. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 08-17-2006, 8:32 PM

Location: Where our "democratically elected" leaders pretend to work
Default Deal of the Century

I snagged the Wal-Mart 10-gun Sentry Safe for $99 + tax! Wait until late winter for the hunting stuff to go on Clearance. Different WMs will have different prices, depending on how desperate they are to get the Spring inventory out. But beware: it's Cash N' Carry-better have a truck and a friend or two.
Old 08-18-2006, 7:25 AM

If you are near All American, they have two gun safes, by Brinks. The small one is a 10 gun for $279 and a 14 gun for $329 (the prices are close, but I may be off by a few bucks).

The good thing is that twice a year, they have tax-free weekends. The next one is labor day weekend.
Old 08-18-2006, 4:18 PM

I am glad to see you are at least concearned enough to lock up your firearms. I can't stand to read those; Dude someone stole my guns that were stored in my closet threads!
Old 08-18-2006, 7:27 PM

I purchased my safe from Dean's in Northern LA County...

http://www.deansafe.com/index.html

Pretty decent prices and his showroom is stocked!

Bob