Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 04-06-2013, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueMan View Post

If your friend is not a CA resident and does not intend to become one, it gets tricky. According to the CGF wiki, it may work if 1)face-to-face transaction in California, and 2)the seller has CA or military ID as those are the only two forms of ID permitted for the DROS process (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Bu...rnia_residents)

Good luck!
suppose i should have added a few more details:
he is a non CA resident
has mil ID
gun can be brought to my local CA FFL for FTF transfer

these would be the costs incurred:
CA sales tax (since out of state gun)
out of state transfer fee
DROS

anything else i am missing? would SSE even be needed since gun is being personally taken to FFL by original owner?
Old 04-06-2013, 3:47 PM
GM of Inconsistency
CGN Contributor

Whats going on with SSE ???? I heard it was going to be banned ??? Is this happening ???
July to Dec 2014 Videos:
CLICK HERE!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 4:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-wick View Post
s
these would be the costs incurred:
CA sales tax (since out of state gun)
out of state transfer fee
DROS
Does the person have CA duty orders? If so, then it could be a PPT.

There is not out of state transfer fee, it is just the FFL's fee which is not limited as a PPT is. The FFL would also not be required to do the transfer, so you need to check with the FFL to see what all the fees are.

Quote:
anything else i am missing? would SSE even be needed since gun is being personally taken to FFL by original owner?
Unless the person has CA duty orders, it is not a PPT, so it would not be exempt from the certified list, so either you or the firearm would have to be exempt, meaning that the SSE would most likely be needed.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 04-06-2013, 4:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippSpeed View Post
Whats going on with SSE ???? I heard it was going to be banned ??? Is this happening ???
AB-169 Unsafe handguns

(2) Existing law makes the provisions defining and governing unsafe handguns inapplicable to a single-shot pistol, as specified.
This bill would instead make the provisions defining and governing unsafe handguns inapplicable to a single-shot pistol with a break top or bolt action. The bill would make this exemption inapplicable to a semiautomatic pistol that has been temporarily or permanently altered so that it will not fire in a semiautomatic mode. By expanding the definition of a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

This is being pushed through right now. It's also on the previous page of this thread...

Also people, face to face and PPT are two different types of transfers. A face to face is only a PPT when it involves two CA residents. A face to face that is not a PPT is subject to the roster and whatever transfer fees the dealer feels like charging.

Last edited by Cyc Wid It; 04-06-2013 at 4:20 PM..
Old 04-06-2013, 7:24 PM
GM of Inconsistency
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc Wid It View Post
AB-169 Unsafe handguns

(2) Existing law makes the provisions defining and governing unsafe handguns inapplicable to a single-shot pistol, as specified.
This bill would instead make the provisions defining and governing unsafe handguns inapplicable to a single-shot pistol with a break top or bolt action. The bill would make this exemption inapplicable to a semiautomatic pistol that has been temporarily or permanently altered so that it will not fire in a semiautomatic mode. By expanding the definition of a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

This is being pushed through right now. It's also on the previous page of this thread...

Also people, face to face and PPT are two different types of transfers. A face to face is only a PPT when it involves two CA residents. A face to face that is not a PPT is subject to the roster and whatever transfer fees the dealer feels like charging.
Ok soo we're still good on the SSE ??? Right Cyc ???

cuz I have a few more custom STI's coming in ... that needs SSE
July to Dec 2014 Videos:
CLICK HERE!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Does the person have CA duty orders? If so, then it could be a PPT.

There is not out of state transfer fee, it is just the FFL's fee which is not limited as a PPT is. The FFL would also not be required to do the transfer, so you need to check with the FFL to see what all the fees are.

Unless the person has CA duty orders, it is not a PPT, so it would not be exempt from the certified list, so either you or the firearm would have to be exempt, meaning that the SSE would most likely be needed.

from what i gather, its just about finding the right shop who will put in the time/effort to do this (100% legally of course).
the last few pages have mentioned OC Armory as a potential place. Any other suggestions in the northOC/south LA area?
Old 04-07-2013, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippSpeed View Post
Ok soo we're still good on the SSE ??? Right Cyc ???

cuz I have a few more custom STI's coming in ... that needs SSE
For now... this is not a scare tactic (I don't work for / am not affiliated with any shop).
Old 04-07-2013, 7:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
AB-169 Unsafe handguns

I'm not disagreeing but I don't understand this. Please give an example. Thanks, Bob

WTS http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1177940

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8I9pLmuyyA
Old 04-07-2013, 7:51 PM
Veteran Member

If someone who is an out of state resident brings a gun over to sell to you face to face, it would not be a PPT. The dealer can charge whatever he/she likes (as if it were shipped). It also must be rostered unless it is exempt (as if it were shipped).
Old 04-07-2013, 7:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If someone who is an out of state resident brings a gun over to sell to you face to face, it would not be a PPT. The dealer can charge whatever he/she likes (as if it were shipped). It also must be rostered unless it is exempt (as if it were shipped).
Okay, thanks. I was unable to find an FFL to do this a while back. A guy had moved here from Louisiana and found out he couldn't carry his Kel Tec .380 here and wanted to sell it to me. I guess I gave up to easy looking for an FFL, they all said they wouldn't do it until he got a CA ID. He was here to stay and got an ID so I still bought it but had to wait till he got his Driver's License.

WTS http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1177940

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8I9pLmuyyA
Old 04-10-2013, 11:09 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob76 View Post
Okay, thanks. I was unable to find an FFL to do this a while back. A guy had moved here from Louisiana and found out he couldn't carry his Kel Tec .380 here and wanted to sell it to me. I guess I gave up to easy looking for an FFL, they all said they wouldn't do it until he got a CA ID. He was here to stay and got an ID so I still bought it but had to wait till he got his Driver's License.
they were correct. if he didn't have a CA ID/DL, they couldn't do a CADOJ-defined PPT. and they couldn't do it as a standard transfer since it was an off-roster handgun. you needed to wait til he got his CADL.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 04-14-2013, 1:34 PM

Almost done with the 10 day wait for an SSE. So far, hasn't been difficult or anything. Just a matter of finding a shop nearby who will do it. It was harder to find an out-of-state dealer willing to ship an off-roster gun here. Most dealers freak out as soon as you mention CA. I'm impatient, though. Can't wait to take my second 1911 home!
Old 04-15-2013, 6:16 AM

How long does it takes in using this gun?
Old 04-15-2013, 2:54 PM

Quote:
unless of course you do a SSE correct? (negates the roster)?
Old 04-15-2013, 3:34 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, hence "unless it is exempt"... single shot exemption.
Old 04-15-2013, 7:08 PM

Can a private party (out of state) convert their pistol into a SSE form and ship it to any FFL that is willing to do the transfer?
Old 04-15-2013, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Yes. Make sure they perform the conversion properly.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, hence "unless it is exempt"... single shot exemption.
Ha! Qouted and bold and I still didn't read it correct.
Old 04-22-2013, 1:31 PM

Just got a new pistol through SSE. Went over fine, no problems. Didn't seem to be any different from buying an on-roster gun. The process was the same on my end. FFL just had to do the conversion. No biggie.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 PM

So is it a guarantee this sse bill will pass?

Seems like they'll be throwing away lots of sales tax revenue
Old 05-01-2013, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

The roster and AW lists throw away revenue as well, but those exist.
Old 05-01-2013, 1:01 PM

http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...related-2.html

I was reading this. What is this about changing tge serial number?
Old 05-01-2013, 1:11 PM
Veteran Member

It's wrong... we've hashed this out here multiple times. That's only required if the firearm is being built up rather than converted.
Old 05-01-2013, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Leo View Post
http://www.calccw.com/Forums/general...related-2.html

I was reading this. What is this about changing tge serial number?
What the hell is all this? Didn't know FFL had to re-stamp a new serial number and model/manufacturer name...

10% tax added on as well? Never saw this before.

What are the implications to the buyer if the FFL doesn't do these things?

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago I had to go to the Los Angeles Field Division to pick up some seized rifles so they could be sold. (That is another story in itself.)

While waiting for everybody and their brother to sign off (3 hours) several senior special agent came by and said hello. I've known them since I taught at a ATF/DOJ dealer meeting years ago. I also run across them when I teach at their citizen academy.

Of course the talk center around the latest dealer scam called Single Shot exemption. ( For those that don't know it's a way to get around the CA approved safety list). They all asked if I had done any, I told each of them while I legally could, I haven't done any.

They came back as a group and notified me that a decision had been made on the process. The marching orders came from back east. (Duh) My reply to them was any gun manufacture would know the process and how to do it properly.

The most senior agent who know guns a lot said okay fine walk use through the process. Judging by the smirk on his face he figured I would screw up. I laid out the proper process.

1) Must be a type 07 FFL, NOT a Type 01 dealer. They agreed.

2) When you convert a Semi-Auto to a Single Shot, you just manufactured a new firearm. 10% Federal Excise Tax is now owed and figured on the sale price. They agreed.

3) I need to imprint my own serial number and my manufacture name in accordance with ATF regulations. The smirk faded fast on this one. LOL.

4) I explained Glocks and any plastic frame was going to be hard to do. The metal strip insert at time on manufacture was to small to add a character too. (one had to draw his weapon to look, LOL)

5) I then explained the most important part. On pickup, the customer must sign the 4473 federal form. The dealer then has to immediately log the gun out of his/her acquisition and disposition book. Then and only then can the single shot conversion kit be removed. Failure to log out and you get your kit back, you just handed them a non approved semi-auto in violation of CA State law. Two guys started laughing and held out their hands, money was placed there.

I asked them what they were going to do about the none marked "new" guns that are illegal. They said a decision had not been made yet. I asked if any type 07 had paid FET on a conversion. The answer was no. I asked if any type 01 dealers were manufacturing guns. They said several.

Folks, you need to be very careful if you go down this path. . . ..
Old 05-01-2013, 1:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Things change and the above is no longer accurate. If you look on the BATF web page, you will see a FAQ for manufacturing, specifically in regards to drop in part, but if you search more, you will find a letter which says that drop in parts is not manufacturing.

At one point it was considered manufacturing, now it is not unless you do any milling or machining.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 05-01-2013, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
Things change and the above is no longer accurate. If you look on the BATF web page, you will see a FAQ for manufacturing, specifically in regards to drop in part, but if you search more, you will find a letter which says that drop in parts is not manufacturing.

At one point it was considered manufacturing, now it is not unless you do any milling or machining.
Good to know. I was about to freak out if my SSE wasn't done legally. But seems like everything's good.
Old 05-01-2013, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Any changes in legislation and/or CGF recommendations will always be noted in the first post as soon as I am made aware of them/can confirm.
Old 05-07-2013, 3:46 AM

Question Coverting a Glock 17 Gen 4 25th Anniversay Edition and a Glock 17 Gen 4 Aluminum ...

I strickly want to collect Glock collectables because I love Glocks and want to pass them onto my daughter as an investment. I admit I am a newbie but I am now addicted...lol My collectables will never be used. But I do want to convert them back to keep the value. They will be in my safe. Where do I get the kits and who does them. And how much do the kits costs. And the conversion fee? Thanks for any information...

~ newglockowner~
Old 05-07-2013, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

Glocks will never be collectible as an investment. All the information is in the first post... there are no readily available "kits". You might be able to rent a kit from some shops.

Last edited by Cyc Wid It; 05-09-2013 at 12:23 PM..
Old 05-07-2013, 4:58 PM

Anyone sell the kel tec pmr sse in the bay area?
Old 05-08-2013, 8:23 PM

Once you receive the sse firearm at what point can you convert it back to original? Looking to possibly get an XDs 9mm when they are released in SSE.
Old 05-08-2013, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonierd View Post
Once you receive the sse firearm at what point can you convert it back to original? Looking to possibly get an XDs 9mm when they are released in SSE.
Once you receive possession of the gun, you can then immediately convert it back on the spot, for all intents and purposes.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 PM

Awesome news thank you for that great information. Now to find someone who can get me the firearms i want and do the SSE.
Old 05-09-2013, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonierd View Post
Awesome news thank you for that great information. Now to find someone who can get me the firearms i want and do the SSE.
If only there were a thread somewhere with a listing of shops that do SSE...
Old 05-09-2013, 8:27 AM

It's right at the beginning of this thread.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoldguy View Post
It's right at the beginning of this thread.
If only sarcasm came across more easily on the internet...
Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Default SSE shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
If only there were a thread somewhere with a listing of shops that do SSE...
The best place for SSE is OC Armory. The will take care of the transfer at the best price out there. Dimitry at PD Gun Supply and Tool can do it in LA.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:12 AM

Good one. Didn't know for sure. But some people may not take the time to read, so......
Old 05-10-2013, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrunr View Post
The best place for SSE is OC Armory. The will take care of the transfer at the best price out there. Dimitry at PD Gun Supply and Tool can do it in LA.
Old 05-12-2013, 9:04 AM

So I walk into a small shop in Pleasant Hill that I’ve done face to face private party transfers before to repeat business. I was the transferee. The transferor was already filling out paper work. The firearm was a Draco pistol with the single shot mag in it.

Halfway into the paperwork one of the shop guys comes out of the back and says “That’s an AK. We don’t touch AKs. We won’t do that here.”

Me and the transferor look up from our paper work, which one of the other shop guys was processing and hadn’t said anything to us.

The transferor says that the Draco is a single shot. And he had no problem getting it in CA himself. The FUD spreader asks if the mag in it right now was a single shot mag. “Yes”.

The FUD guy say, “well we don’t do those. The DoJ is cracking down on these because what happens when someone takes home an SSE pistol?”

I don’t remember if I replyed or the transferor replied but one of us said that we pop in a 10 shot mag.

So the FUD guy continues, “Right. So the DoJ is coming after us [FFL dealers]. I know guys who have lost their license because of this. They are coming after us not you”.

Then the guy goes in the back and after a few moments comes back with an AR that has a permanently fixed mag well that wasn’t such much a well than a solid block. No way to insert a mag. He says “this is the gold standard now”.

Then he says “And the DoJ is checking that you (indicating us) don’t convert it to a non single shot gun when you get home.” I thought to myself didn’t you just say they are coming after you and not us?

The transferor says “They better show up with a warrant.” And without missing a beat the FUD guy says “They are. The DoJ is making the rules.” I thought that the state had a senate that made the rules. Shows what I know about how government works.

Then the FUD guy says “I’m not gonna have that thing in my shop. I’m not going to risk my license for $10”. I think to myself, how much would you risk your license for?

The FUD guy walks away again. I’ve already been on my smart phone looking for the address of another shop in the city. I tell the transferor we can try another place that is close by.

I call up City Arms East in Pleasant Hill and ask them, hey I’ve got an F2F PPT I’d like to do involving an SSE Draco. Is that OK? City Arms says yes come on in.