Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 01-10-2011, 1:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Default AAR-Falcon Security Shotgun 1/9/11

Instructors: Voodoo and Babushka
Number of students: 3
Shotguns used: Benelli M4's, Remington 870's, and Mossberg 590.
Weather: Chilly to mild. Cloudy.
Round Count: 124 birdshot, 70 buckshot, 51 slugs.

Started out the day with a safety brief, emergency plan, and firearm
safety rules. Instructors talked to us about the shotgun nomenclature, the different types of shotguns used (pump and semi) the shotguns used in law enforcement, and the different types of ammo used.

After the "classroom" session the instructors showed us how to load, unload, and port load our shotguns. Other agencies and the military might call this "assembly area loading". Their preferred method is port loading from underneath the shotgun. We'll do a port loading drill a few times then talked about shooting fundamentals. One of the most important things during the loading process is using your "work space".

The next thing we did was zero out shotguns with birdshot ammo. My shotgun is a Benelli M4 with an Aimpoint R-1 so I had to make some adjustments since the optic was brand new. Other students had ghost sights and they too made some adjustments. During the zeroing Voodoo made us shoot further out with buck shot and at the same time talk to us about spread patterns. At 25 yards we shot slugs to see where we're at.

At this point our shotguns were zeroed and the students knew how to port load and and load their shotguns. Now it's into shotgun manipulation. One drill that the instructors gave us was to port load a round into the chamber and one in the tube. He'll tell us to fire 3 shots center mass of the target but after two shots none of us really knew what to do since we didn't have a third round in our shotgun. That's when Voodoo and Babushka talked to us about combat reloads then admin reloads.

Malfunction discussion was short. Most malfunctions are shooters forgetting to turn off the safety and short stroking. For semi-auto's they can have stove-pipes or failure to feed because the bolt didn't fully cycle due to weak ammo. I experienced a few "safety off" malfunctions on my Benelli and failure to feed due to weak ammo with birdshot.

After lunch the instructors talked to us about recoil management. When shouldering the shotgun the instructors told us to "squeeze" or "spread" the shotgun. I found that the "spread" technique works for me with a semi-auto and guys with the pump action used the "squeeze" technique.

Next on the list was transitioning to handgun which was new to one student so we spent some time on that. After transitioning we did some turning then shooting drills, shooting while moving laterally, and shooting while moving forward.

The last drill we did was the "Rolling Thunder Drill". This has got to be one of the most stressful drills that I have ever done. The rolling thunder drill is a team effort exercise in which the students shoot an X amount of rounds to the target while manipulating the shotgun doing combat and admin reloads. During this drill the instructors induced stress to the shooter. There were only 3 students on this drill so it was very difficult yet fun.

What I have learned:
  • Shooting prone with the shotgun is very difficult to do vs. an AR15.
  • That the "Spread" technique when shooting a semi-automatic reduces recoil.
  • How to unload a shotgun from the magazine tube (other than just racking the slide)
  • That I am much faster at over the top port loading but need to practice port loading from the bottom of the shotgun.
  • A 2-point sling may not work for me
  • A full length magazine tube is worth it
  • The Benelli M4 is a big gun for my height (will look into the Urbino stock)
Both instructors did a great job in teaching us how to manipulate the shotgun and were very patient with us. Despite that there were only 3 students both Voodoo and Babushka still taught the class with motivation and determination as if we had 10 or more students. A lot of attention were given to each and every one us and as usual with Falcon you get some pretty funny jokes out of them.

Last edited by BMWguy206; 07-06-2017 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: youtube video embedding
Old 01-10-2011, 1:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sounds like fun.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:48 PM

Damn, we were right over the berm that day. Should have gone with this class instead...
Old 01-11-2011, 3:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by batstrider View Post
Damn, we were right over the berm that day. Should have gone with this class instead...
If you're not busy they have a carbine class on the 15th so I recommend taking that class if you have an AR15.

Old 01-13-2011, 9:22 AM

Thanks for the AAR.
hey BMWguy, were you using a thumb-over grip on your M4? I guess your optic is high enough to clear your thumb, but after shooting a 30 round stage with my Benelli, my barrel usually gets pretty smoking hot!
Old 01-13-2011, 9:32 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by esskay View Post
Thanks for the AAR.
hey BMWguy, were you using a thumb-over grip on your M4? I guess your optic is high enough to clear your thumb, but after shooting a 30 round stage with my Benelli, my barrel usually gets pretty smoking hot!
Yes I did do that thumb-over grip just that one day for the first time ever. That position helped to minimize recoil.

My barrel started to get hot but our drills were short. It was cold that day so the heated barrel started to warm up my hand.

Old 02-20-2011, 3:13 PM

Would you please elaborate on the spread technique? Thanks