Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 08-10-2006, 12:35 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Default brass deflection and OLL

Finally got around to sighting in and breaking in my CMMG's midlength uppers.
One thing I noticed is that the brass always bounced directly onto the bench to the right of me. I went on Monday to Chabot, so the bench to my right was empty.

I am just wondering, on a more crowded day, I would hate to annoy the person shooting to the right of me, by showering him with hot brass. Do your AR's launch brass on 1 to 2 o'clock position, or more like the 3 oclock position like mine?

If so, what do you do to keep from annoying your fellow shooters. I should mention I am left handed, so perhaps that would also affect where the brass lands, as I am shooting on the right side of the bench.

thanks,
Old 08-10-2006, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff
Finally got around to sighting in and breaking in my CMMG's midlength uppers.
One thing I noticed is that the brass always bounced directly onto the bench to the right of me. I went on Monday to Chabot, so the bench to my right was empty.

I am just wondering, on a more crowded day, I would hate to annoy the person shooting to the right of me, by showering him with hot brass. Do your AR's launch brass on 1 to 2 o'clock position, or more like the 3 oclock position like mine?

If so, what do you do to keep from annoying your fellow shooters. I should mention I am left handed, so perhaps that would also affect where the brass lands, as I am shooting on the right side of the bench.

thanks,
I was at Chabot shooting my AR on Sunday. I loaded 1 shot, shot it and looked up. My neighbor to the my right was looking right at me.

I asked, did it hit you? He said yes and got up. I was thinking oh ********...pissed someone off But he came back with an old target and propped it up for me. Then he told me how cheap brass catchers were. He was cool, he actually helped me later on when I jammed.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamkwong
I was at Chabot shooting my AR on Sunday. I loaded 1 shot, shot it and looked up. My neighbor to the my right was looking right at me.

I asked, did it hit you? He said yes and got up. I was thinking oh ********...pissed someone off But he came back with an old target and propped it up for me. Then he told me how cheap brass catchers were. He was cool, he actually helped me later on when I jammed.
I was thinking about propping something up, but problem is I am left handed. The cardboard would be right where I position myself. Tough living in a right handed world; I read the life expectancy of left handed people is actually shorter compared to right handed folks. It must be a government conspiracy
Old 08-10-2006, 2:28 AM

wierd. My RRA flings it down and about 45º back.
Old 08-10-2006, 6:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Mine lands at 4:00, right where the person on the next bench would be sitting. I don't shoot it if someone is on that bench or I take one of the benches that have a larger than normal space on the right.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 08-10-2006, 7:23 AM
Internet Dictator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

yea, my bushie C15 sends brass to about 4 o'cock...

bushie makes a little clamp on brass deflector that makes the brass land at your feet, instead of flying off (http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/db-a2.asp). i'm sure there's probably cheaper ones out there
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKM View Post
Show me on this 1st Amendment bobble-head doll where the mods touched you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Click Boom View Post
It is clear from this thread that citadel grad was the gunman, and Oswald his patsy.
Old 08-10-2006, 8:06 AM
Calguns Addict

That's what nets are for. We have them at our range. Just ask the range officer to borrow one.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 08-10-2006, 8:08 AM

Brass catchers are GOOD! They make you a good neighbor on crowded ranges, and help you get your brass back. If you think the AR's are bad, you obviously never shot Mini-14's in a crowd.
Old 08-10-2006, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfaxjim
Brass catchers are GOOD! They make you a good neighbor on crowded ranges, and help you get your brass back. If you think the AR's are bad, you obviously never shot Mini-14's in a crowd.
Yes! I've seen Mini-14s eject brass 5-6 benches away before they hit the ground.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 08-10-2006, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj
Yes! I've seen Mini-14s eject brass 5-6 benches away before they hit the ground.
Or a person. those stupid things hurt even after its 40 ft trip. What pissis me off is when the owner does not seem to care that everyone to his right is being burned and cut from his brass.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairfaxjim
Heh, I remember someone here said they shot a mini14 inside a car and the brass cracked the windshield. I wonder if anyone has ever gotten hit on the forehead by mini14 brass and thought "I'VE BEEN SHOT"
The volume of blood necessary to achieve erection would cause you to either pass out or if you didn't and managed to maintain an erection you would likely die from lack of oxygen to the heart and brain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanimal View Post
Just be glad you are not his next door neighbor. I am sure there are "good tunes" flowing out the window. I am imagining a cop car pulling up at 1:30 AM asking "Are you having a party?" and Bundo sayin "Nope just me and the BG's"
Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 AM

First time I ever shot my mini-14 was at angeles shooting range. I had no idea it ejected the brass so far away and so fast. First shot the brass hit a guy about 15 feet away right between the eyes. Thankfully he was very nice and laughed it off.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

I finally settled on buying a brass catcher bag this morning. I was tempted to get the brass deflectors made by TC accessories, but problem is one of my uppers has an Eotech on top of it. One of the deflector models is catered towards the Eotech, but it looks like I would have to dismount the Eotech each time, which probably means I would have to rezero it with every session.

http://www.tc-accessories.com/products.htm

On the subject of the mini14, I replaced the gas bushing, so it didn't fling the brass into a high orbit around the earth. Now my brass, goes about 6 feet 2oclock. I'll probably get a brass catcher for the mini as well, seeing as how that trajectory could pass in front of other shooters, and get a little distracting for them.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Vendor/Retailer

There are actually Ranges that don't have Screen Stands?
(877) 556-GUNS Toll Free
(253) 218-2998 FAX
Old 08-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Forget the mini-14. Let's talk about Hakim brass ejection, shall we? I think the brass may push the sound barrier when it ejects...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknic
There are actually Ranges that don't have Screen Stands?
http://www.chabotgunclub.com/

It is a web page that still uses frames, so click on "range" found in the left frame. It's actually a nice range, I forget I am still in an urban environment, when I get to this range. I only use the rifle range, but based on the pics, looks like the pistol range might have some form of a barricade between shooters.

No screens on the rifle range though..it's California...this allows for group hugs.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:13 AM

Megavolt 121 was at the bench to the left of me at Chabot last Saturday, when he busted out his AR-15, I kept getting pelted by his brass, but I was wearing clothes and it wasn't hot so I really didn't care.

"There is an old song which asserts that "the best things in life are free". Not true! Utterly false! This was the tragic fallacy which brought on the decadence and collapse of the democracies of the twentieth century; those noble experiments failed because the people had been led to believe that they could simply vote for whatever they wanted… and get it, without toil, without sweat, without tears."
Old 08-10-2006, 11:22 AM

chabot pistol range can't contain 5.7 brass. i think it flung it 5-6 stalls over.
Old 08-10-2006, 1:31 PM
Super Moderator

Clip 2 coils off of the ejector spring.. that is what up HP shooters do.. the brass will go into a nice little pile about the 1 - 2 o'clock position.....

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 08-10-2006, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRAhighpowershooter
Clip 2 coils off of the ejector spring.. that is what up HP shooters do.. the brass will go into a nice little pile about the 1 - 2 o'clock position.....
Assuming you have one of those tools to put the ejector back in...

(I just bought one. Yipee.)
Old 08-10-2006, 3:33 PM
Super Moderator

tool for the ejector??? I have a dry wall screw head prodruding on my work bench.......

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 08-10-2006, 9:40 PM

My Carbine ejects them at the 1 o'clock position and the Dizzy w/ rifle length gas system ejects them at the 4 o'clock position. The range I go to does not have a wall or catcher of any sort. This post gave me something to look (brass catcher) for at the Reno show tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member

For the AR, I just look for a piece of cardboard (target backing) if I'm shooting from the bench. I fold it over at the bottom, set something on it and put my range bag behind it. It keeps most of the brass on the table. Now the AK....that thing throws brass across the building up against the wall! OUCH

Check out or web page for current *Web Specials* WWW.SANTACRUZARMORY.COM
Old 08-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Village idiot
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blfd1
For the AR, I just look for a piece of cardboard (target backing) if I'm shooting from the bench. I fold it over at the bottom, set something on it and put my range bag behind it. It keeps most of the brass on the table. Now the AK....that thing throws brass across the building up against the wall! OUCH
I wish I could do that, but being left handed, the cardboard would be right in my face. I did consider the Stag left handed uppers, but I really wanted a midlength.