Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-06-2011, 4:31 PM

Default Mexican Mausers and Arisakas

Anyone here own any type example of one? You would think in a state in close proximity to Mexico with a large Mexican population they would be more common but they're not. I suppose low production numbers, high levels of use and abuse and many turned in to sporters accounts for that.

My sole example and I fear maybe my only for the rest of my life considering prices and availablilty is a made in Mexico example of a 1910 carbine. Figure I'll never see another one as some refrences list the 1910 rifle as having a production of 44000 in over 20 years. The carbine must be much rarer especially considering survival rates. Having non standard bolt/action size makes finding certain parts hard too. Bet the Russians made that many Mosin Nagants in a few days!

I have only seen one example of the Mexican Arisaka in person. Seller knew what it was though and wanted the world for it. There is one on gunbroker for $2500 also.

I once saw a Steyr 1912 Mauser with Israeli and Mexican marks on gunboards which was neat. I'd like to collect most any example of them, I suppose I should go for a FN or Steyr example next. The shortest military Mauser barrel ever was on some sort of FN carbine it was like 16".

Recently lost out on a BEAT 1910 rifle but it went for around $250 and it really wasn't worth it. Weak crest, cracks in buttstock, lots of rust, horrid bore, missing rear sight parts.
Old 01-06-2011, 4:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

"Mexican Arisakas" - Never knew they had a variant -
Old 01-06-2011, 4:51 PM

Theres Japanese Carcanos too. I have seen 4-5 of them in person to only one Mexican Arisaka. Mexican Arisakas seem to be all dated 1913 and take standard Mexican MAuser bayonets.
Old 01-06-2011, 5:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you have any pics of these please post them as I love to see these variants -
Old 01-06-2011, 5:15 PM

Theres a Mexican Arisaka on gunbroker currently. Don't have pics of Japanese Carcano. I'll try to get pics up on Mexican Mauser but last time I looked thru my safes I couldn't find it!
Old 01-06-2011, 5:47 PM

I've seen quite a few of the Japanese Carcanos for sale, and the Mexican Mausers. But I am on the list of never seeing a Mexican Arisaka. Interesting.
Old 01-06-2011, 6:00 PM

I'd sure love to hear about where you see all these Mexican Mausers for sale! I do see them on gunbroker sometimes.
Old 01-06-2011, 6:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I've seen some in the past - Never paid attention since I wasn't in the market -
Old 01-06-2011, 6:34 PM

Now that I have checked, I have seen that Arisaka before. That seller has a couple rifles I would love to buy if I won the lottery.
Old 01-06-2011, 6:47 PM

I have a sporterized Mexican Mauser in .22-250. It was built back in the 1960's for my Uncle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _22-250.jpg (60.2 KB, 275 views)
Old 01-06-2011, 7:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by saigon1965 View Post
"Mexican Arisakas" - Never knew they had a variant -
A large part of Japanese industrialization was the exportation of firearms. Some of which were contracted by the Mexican government.

Course, when the war in Asia started spreading wide (against China and USSR) they resorted to purchasing Carcano rifles outfitted to work like standard Japanese style weapons.

course, the Japanese also bought a fair amount of various mausers too. "Axis Solidarity" and everything

Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction
Old 01-06-2011, 8:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Japanese type 1, othewise known as the Japanese Carcano:

Not my picture, and ignore the top rifle.

Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperX View Post
I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

Last edited by mosinnagantm9130; 01-06-2011 at 8:14 PM..
Old 01-06-2011, 8:34 PM

Various wholesalers had Mexican Mausers 5-10 years ago. All the ones in the photos on their web sites looked pretty bad. They were totally rusted and busted up. They were rated "Fair" but there was no way they were in that good of shape. They were ready for the smelter.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Yes Hunters Lodge had them for a long time w/o bolts though which are hard to find. Century imported batches of them here and there since late 80's it seems too and they all seemed to be rough. Some Mexican Mauser variations are very tough to find.

It seems the last model the 1954 one in .30-06 is very hard to come by.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Khram, is there a gun you DON'T have? lol
Old 01-07-2011, 1:12 PM

Yeah, a Mexican Arisaka. Most of the Mexican Mauser variations. Have been looking for a decent Type I Japanese Carcano but thats getting ot. They are too gougy or too thrashed or both.
Old 01-07-2011, 2:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khram View Post
Yeah, a Mexican Arisaka. Most of the Mexican Mauser variations. Have been looking for a decent Type I Japanese Carcano but thats getting ot. They are too gougy or too thrashed or both.
You see decent ones now and then. I always run into them (the Type I's, not the 7mm Arisakas) when I am short on cash.

As for the Arisakas, the Japanese were trying to build an export business for their firearms. Their first big contract was to Mexico. The problem was that they made the guns, and then Mexico had yet another revolution before finishing their payments. So most of the guns were never delivered. They sat in warehouses in Japan until WWI, when the Russians were in dire need of anything that went "Bang". Most of the 7mm Mexican Arisakas went to Russia, where they served until after the war. Most were scrapped once the Russian communists were able make enough Mosin-Nagants after the war. A few wer sold, a few went to Spain for their civil war in the 1930s. And a few hung on in their merchant fleet. But the vast majority are long since gone. Hence the reason most of us will never see them.

-Mb
Old 01-07-2011, 4:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Neat info Spiggy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiggy View Post
A large part of Japanese industrialization was the exportation of firearms. Some of which were contracted by the Mexican government.

Course, when the war in Asia started spreading wide (against China and USSR) they resorted to purchasing Carcano rifles outfitted to work like standard Japanese style weapons.

course, the Japanese also bought a fair amount of various mausers too. "Axis Solidarity" and everything
Old 01-07-2011, 4:58 PM
Valar Dohaeris
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

My personal favorite was the Siam Arisakas. They were built in Japan but had non-standard script engraved in the local language. Pretty neat.

WTS:.7.62x39/x54r Ammo
WTS: Savage 16 w/ Scope and Bipod
WTS: AK Furniture, Boresighter, 308 handguard
Old 01-07-2011, 5:19 PM

Now we really getting OT! Like the Mexican Mausers you rarely see the Siamese ones or they are beat or they are sporterized. I saw 2x Siamese in AZ last year. The non standard caliber and rimmed to boot kind of sucks too.

7x57 is bad enough because it's not easy to find cheap and decent milsurp ammo for them.

Maybe we should start an odd milsurp rifle thread then I can talk about Finn marked Carcanos (they exist)
Old 01-07-2011, 5:48 PM

One thing that should be remembered is that the Mexican Army still keeps Mausers in inventory and besides ceremonial and some limited other uses, also issues them to the Rurales as well as other weapons that are no longer primary, such as Mondragons, Garands, M-1 Carbines, etc.
Old 01-07-2011, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Anyone here own any type example of one? You would think in a state in close proximity to Mexico with a large Mexican population they would be more common but they're not. I suppose low production numbers, high levels of use and abuse and many turned in to sporters accounts for that.

My sole example and I fear maybe my only for the rest of my life considering prices and availablilty is a made in Mexico example of a 1910 carbine. Figure I'll never see another one as some refrences list the 1910 rifle as having a production of 44000 in over 20 years. The carbine must be much rarer especially considering survival rates. Having non standard bolt/action size makes finding certain parts hard too. Bet the Russians made that many Mosin Nagants in a few days!

I have only seen one example of the Mexican Arisaka in person. Seller knew what it was though and wanted the world for it. There is one on gunbroker for $2500 also.

I once saw a Steyr 1912 Mauser with Israeli and Mexican marks on gunboards which was neat. I'd like to collect most any example of them, I suppose I should go for a FN or Steyr example next. The shortest military Mauser barrel ever was on some sort of FN carbine it was like 16".

Recently lost out on a BEAT 1910 rifle but it went for around $250 and it really wasn't worth it. Weak crest, cracks in buttstock, lots of rust, horrid bore, missing rear sight parts.
My 1924 FN contract Mauser rifle is nice, has a strong rifling is complete (with the exception of the bayonet), and I bought it in Calguns!

Handguns are a skill; shotguns an art; rifles a science.

What color is your Kool-aid?
Old 01-07-2011, 8:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Jms just posted a pic of his Mexican Carcano in the 2s thread -
Old 01-08-2011, 7:56 PM

I've only seen Mausers in ceremonial roles in Mexico, no Mondragons,have never seen a Garand and I still see M1 carbines used in active role.
Old 01-08-2011, 8:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Man here I thought I only have a few "needs" for my C&R collection -

I am going to stop hanging out in the C&R forum - Or look @ Gunboards -
Old 01-08-2011, 8:57 PM

Crap, now I have more competition for Mexican arisakas and mausers and Type I Carcanos!
Old 01-08-2011, 9:09 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Not too worried - My list is long - But yes watch your six -
Old 01-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Calguns Addict

lol. Most of the 7.35mm Carcanos are marked SA. That is because most of the 7.35mm guns went to Finnland during WWII. The Italians were caught short on 7.35 ammo, and went back to the 6.5mm because they had lots of surplus ammo for them. So they sent/sold most of their 7.35 guns to the Finns to use for second line troops. Finding a 7.35 that is not marked SA is more of a trick. I like the Finn ones anyway, as they changed the front sight so that the POA is dead on at 150 meters, instead of 300. Much more useful to me.

-Mb

Quote:
Now we really getting OT! Like the Mexican Mausers you rarely see the Siamese ones or they are beat or they are sporterized. I saw 2x Siamese in AZ last year. The non standard caliber and rimmed to boot kind of sucks too.

7x57 is bad enough because it's not easy to find cheap and decent milsurp ammo for them.

Maybe we should start an odd milsurp rifle thread then I can talk about Finn marked Carcanos (they exist)
Old 01-09-2011, 12:00 AM

Quote:
I've only seen Mausers in ceremonial roles in Mexico, no Mondragons,have never seen a Garand and I still see M1 carbines used in active role.
I've seen cadets using Mondragons. There's also some pictures of Rurales floating around showing them using Mausers, Garands, Carbines, etc. as well as more modern weapons like FALs, G-3s, etc., not to mention automatic rifles like the Mendoza.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

Well I'll be dipped. Mexican Arisakas. I hadn't heard of that one.

...You’ll hear voices that incessantly warn ... that tyranny always lurks just around the corner. You should reject these voices. B.H.O, 2013

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever. George Orwell, 1984
Old 01-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Calguns Addict

Finland also made use of many arisakas. It's not uncommon to find Japanese-made weapons in that part of Europe bearing the [SA] stamp.

Even the federov employed the Japanese 6.5x50r ammunition

Finger print recognition is one more thing that keeps your killamajig from performing its killimafunction
Old 03-06-2011, 11:29 AM

Default Mexican Contract Arisaka Carbine

Hello All,

In the 80's I inherited a sporterized rifle from my grandfather who died. I believe he thought he had a Mauser since it took 7 mm ammo. He used it deer hunting a number of times and said it was a really fine rifle. Not sure what condition the stock was when he acquired it but the pictures on the link show the original stock had long been removed.

A couple years ago I started researching on the internet and found out it was a Mexican Contract Arisaka Carbine. I asked a collector to restore it and here are some pics of the before and after.

Interesting to note is this particular carbine also has British marking (aside from the republica mexicana 1913 mark on the upper rear tang. A collector provided a straight bolt.

I have fired it a few time and seems to be in excellent shape for it's age.

http://www.keropiansculpture.com/arisakacarb.html
Old 03-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Welcome to our forum - That's a beauty you have there -