Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-02-2011, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Colt Series 70: Gold Cup Vs. Regular Gov. Model

I understand that in stock condition the Series 70 Gold Cup is more accurate than the S70 government.

But what can the Government model do that the Gold Cup can't?

Is there an advantage by choosing a regular Gov model over a Gold Cup?
Old 01-02-2011, 8:36 PM

New manufacture?
Old 01-02-2011, 8:44 PM
CGN Contributor

The sights on a GC are better than the ones on a Gov. Model.

Here I am.
Old 01-02-2011, 8:46 PM

the price?
Old 01-02-2011, 8:49 PM
Calguns Addict

The Gold Cup might be more mechanically accurate. Both the Series 70 Gold Cup and Govt models utilized collet bushings. So now the accuracy hinges on bushing to slide fit, barrel lock-up in slide and slide to frame fit (least important). From a practical accuracy stand-point the GC would probably win from its lighter trigger pull and better sight picture.

The advantages of the Govt model would be more choices for customizing. Easier to fit different style sights on the slide and normal width trigger groove in frame. Also the front strap serrations on the GC limit your choices if you want to go with a front strap checkerring as you'd have to pick an l.p.i. that closely matches the serration spacing.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 01-02-2011, 8:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvig View Post
New manufacture?
I'm talking about the two older models from the 70's, the GOLD CUP and the regular Gov model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
The advantages of the Govt model would be more choices for customizing. Easier to fit different style sights on the slide and normal width trigger groove in frame. Also the front strap serrations on the GC limit your choices if you want to go with a front strap checkerring as you'd have to pick an l.p.i. that closely matches the serration spacing.
Is the Gov model more reliable than the Gold Cup?

Last edited by Colt-45; 01-02-2011 at 9:03 PM..
Old 01-02-2011, 8:59 PM

If you ever want to do any custom work, start with the standard model.
I have a 70 series gold cup, and talked with a well known guy that does work on 1911s. He didn't want to work on a GC. Not just because of the value, but because a lot of the work he does conflicts with what is already there in the GC. He preferred a standard Colt or Springfield.
Old 01-02-2011, 9:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post

But what can the Government model do that the Gold Cup can't?

Is there an advantage by choosing a regular Gov model over a Gold Cup?
Redcliff covers the all the right points - I would just add that the Gold Cup incorporates a couple of improvements in the Government model (that are now standard on most production 1911s):

-lowered/flared ejection port (as opposed to the "high wall" ejection port on the original 1911 -- "high wall" was required because the Army wanted brass to eject "over the top" rather than "to the right" of the shooter)

-much, much better sights

...but beyond that, it just depends on what you want to use the gun for. I'd carry a Government Series 70 just because with the original peep sights it's basically snag-free. I wouldn't carry a Gold Gup.

I wouldn't customize either -- they are both classics now and get scarcer by the year.

--Neill
Old 01-02-2011, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
No, probably the other way around. The "high wall" ejection port makes a stove-pipe stoppage more likely than the lowered/flared ejection port.

They both have the collet bushing so it's a wash on reliability for that component.

--Neill
Old 01-02-2011, 9:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Straight out of the box, no modifications what so ever, which is the better choice(regardless of price)? Say you were open carrying, not for CCW.

Is there a HUGE accuracy difference between the Government model and the Gold Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
They both have the collet bushing so it's a wash on reliability for that component.
What reliability issue can the "collet" bushing cause?

Last edited by Colt-45; 01-02-2011 at 9:36 PM..
Old 01-02-2011, 9:34 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about the two older models from the 70's, the GOLD CUP and the regular Gov model.

They make both of those new currently as well.

Gold Cup Series pistols are a National Match pistol. That means the barrel and slide bushing are hand fit by a gunsmith to ensure the best fit and increase accuracy. There will not be a huge difference in accuracy in a National Match barrel/bushing vs. a stock gov't barrel/bushing. Maybe a slightly tighter group off of a rest, but you're not going to have 5" groups versus 1" groups or something that's grossly different. Maybe a .5" difference in grouping.

What you get on a Gold Cup (from that era) that you don't on a Gov't Model is the following:

Target Sights
Adjustable Trigger
Front Strap Serrations
Lowered and Flared Ejection port

70's Colts can vary widely for accuracy and reliability as they were hand machined at the time. You can run into a gun with a slightly mis-aligned slide rail that won't be very reliable. You can also find some that run fine with no issues. As there really isn't any "out of the box" on a gun manufactured 30+ years ago, you're better off picking the one you like better aesthetically and taking it to a smith to be tuned e.g. polish feed ramp, action job, etc.

IMO, you're better off with current model Colts since they have a dimpled barrel (dimple at the 6 o'clock position) to help feeding JHP's and the slide fit and tolerances are a bit better than the 70's counterparts as they are all CNC'd these days. What you won't get on a new Colt is the really nice deep royal blue finish that you'd find in a 60's or 70's Colt.
Old 01-02-2011, 9:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvig View Post
They make both of those new currently as well.
Yes, they actually do. But I like the older Series 70's not the Series 70 current reproductions.

Here's an illustration of what I'm talking about specifically

Old 01-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Straight out of the box, no modifications what so ever, which is the better choice(regardless of price)? Say you were open carrying, not for CCW.

Is there a HUGE accuracy difference between the Government model and the Gold Cup?
The better sights of the Gold Cup will give you all the advantage at ranges over 15 feet.

Quote:
What reliability issue can the "collet" bushing cause?
They break, eventually - because (in order to improve accuracy) they bushing has "fingers" that apply tension to the muzzle.

--Neill
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Along with the gun I would have to pack an emergency replacement bushing I guess.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:13 AM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

And a replacement slide release, firing pin retainer plate, extractor (all fitted) and recoil spring, if you want to be safe. With the GC you need to watch your rear sight retaining pin and for front sights that occasionally fly away. No, I'm not kidding.
Old 01-03-2011, 2:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Having enough experience to say this as fact, unless you have either Colt a Dan Wesson Pointman is way, way, way, nicer that either Colt and probably cheaper than to make the Colt as nice to shoot. Not that the Colt is lacking . But the Pointman is just way, way, way, nicer. I have also done lots of shooting on a couple of Wilson combats to add to the reasoning of this post.