Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-28-2010, 7:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Help me pick a soft shooting 9mm CCW weapon for my wife.

I need some recommendations from those in the know.

My wife has shot my Kahr PM9 and it hurts the web of her hand (between her index finger and her thumb). She loves my Sig P228, but the P228 isn't very concealable for a woman (tight clothes and small purse).

I want her to have a semi-auto that she looks forward to shooting like my P228, but is more concealable like my Kahr. She also often gets the decocker mixed up with the slide release. So ideally it would be pretty straight forward gun like a Glock or Kahr without extra levers aside from the slide release (no decocker, safety lever, grip safety).

I want at least a 9mm. I don't like the idea of using a .380. I just don't think it's ideal for self defense. Anything bigger than a 9mm might make the web of her hand hurt. She's not afraid of recoil, some guns just make the web hurt.

So I need:

1. Soft shooting 9mm.
2. Compact and concealable.
3. No extra levers/buttons aside from the slide and magazine releases.

I realize I may be looking for something that doesn't exist. But I thought I'd ask here in case someone knows of the perfect solution.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-28-2010, 7:12 PM
Veteran Member

Old 12-28-2010, 7:16 PM

Walther P99C has my vote. Not quite as soft as a Sig in my experience, but close, and I am comparing a compact to a full size Sig.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Thanks RollingCode3. But my fear with the Glock is it has the same flat thin grip as the Kahr that made her hand hurt. So I'm not sure it would solve the problem. I think the problem might be ergonomics. The P228 grip is a lot more ergonomic than a Kahr, XD, Glock, or Ruger. HK, CZ and Sig have good ergonomics, but they also have decockers. The M&P 9c is ergonomic, but not very small.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 12-28-2010, 7:19 PM

I'll vote for the Glock 26, but have her shoot ALL of these if you can:

Glock 26
Glock 19
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact
Sig P239
Old 12-28-2010, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

You can adjust to the size of a Compact M&P so that gets my vote.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:28 PM

If you want a soft shooting 9mm, you need to look at one that is made out of all metal. If you can find a Bersa 9mm or just get a Beras 380, it works great with my wifey.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:29 PM

Honestly the M&P9 is probably the most comfy looking grip.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

1911 (the safety isn't terribly complicated), or some single stack Sig.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:32 PM

RollinCode3 nailed it. Glock 26
Old 12-28-2010, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

Smith and Wesson M&P

Why, because it has interchangeable grips and is comfy, especially for a smaller hands of a women.

I've shot them all (from 1911's to Sig's to XDM to Glock's) and actually own a Glock 19 and Kimber right now, but thinking about selling the G19 to get a M&P. I love both of them but there are shortcomings. The Glock's grip is square and blocky and will not fit a small hand well.
Old 12-28-2010, 7:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathead9 View Post
I'll vote for the Glock 26, but have her shoot ALL of these if you can:

Glock 26
Glock 19
Smith & Wesson M&P 9 Compact
Springfield XD9 Sub-Compact
Sig P239
Thanks. The problem is finding rentals to try them. Then there's the cost of renting. Yikes.

I'll have to check out the Walther P99C (thanks tba02), Glock 26, S&W M&P 9c.

The Sig P239 and XD9 Sub-Compact are too big and too heavy for easy concealment. The M&P 9c's weight is just OK, but it might be the most ergonomic.

Old 12-28-2010, 7:54 PM

try some AGrips for the PM9 http://www.brookstactical.com/

or those rubber wraparounds.
Old 12-28-2010, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDon View Post
Smith and Wesson M&P

Why, because it has interchangeable grips and is comfy, especially for a smaller hands of a women.

I've shot them all (from 1911's to Sig's to XDM to Glock's) and actually own a Glock 19 and Kimber right now, but thinking about selling the G19 to get a M&P. I love both of them but there are shortcomings. The Glock's grip is square and blocky and will not fit a small hand well.
My wife's hands aren't small, so that isn't a constraint.

Old 12-28-2010, 8:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2 View Post
try some AGrips for the PM9 http://www.brookstactical.com/

or those rubber wraparounds.
She doesn't have a problem holding on. I think the problem might be muzzle flip since that is the most likely culprit for a sore web. The wraparounds won't help the web I'm afraid.

Old 12-28-2010, 8:12 PM

what about a EMP nice little gun
Old 12-28-2010, 8:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyc Wid It View Post
1911 (the safety isn't terribly complicated), or some single stack Sig.
She does like my 1911, but it's WAY too big and heavy. She also likes my P228 better. The P228 is a double stack, so that isn't a problem (other than concealability).

Old 12-28-2010, 8:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcar View Post
what about a EMP nice little gun
I wouldn't mind having an EMP for myself! But I think it's too big and heavy for her CCW. It also has the safety which would mess her up just like a decocker.

Old 12-28-2010, 8:20 PM

I second the EMP. Got one on the way for myself and will get another if my wife takes a liking to it
Old 12-28-2010, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
Thanks. The problem is finding rentals to try them. Then there's the cost of renting. Yikes.

I'll have to check out the Walther P99C (thanks tba02), Glock 26, S&W M&P 9c.

The Sig P239 and XD9 Sub-Compact are too big and too heavy for easy concealment. The M&P 9c's weight is just OK, but it might be the most ergonomic.
I was hoping you knew someone that had one or two of those. Rentals can get expensive, but it will be worth it to get the right gun the first time. There is obviously a sweet spot between weight/concealability & recoil, so she'll have to decide where she wants to compromise. Good luck, and have fun!
Old 12-28-2010, 8:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Glock 19 or 26 or S&W M&P
Old 12-28-2010, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

They do make lightweight framed compact 1911's and also in different calibers. The safety doesn't decock, dunno, it opens up more options like the EMP too etc. If she prefers the P228, maybe try the P225? Single stack is smaller.
Old 12-28-2010, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
My wife's hands aren't small, so that isn't a constraint.
Sig P229 then.
Old 12-28-2010, 9:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDon View Post
Sig P229 then.
The 229 is just like the 228 that I have already. Too big and too heavy for her easy concealment. But I personally sure like them!

Old 12-28-2010, 9:19 PM

Or the SIG P239.

Why not give the ladies a little more credit. There is a lot of talk about "all of the buttons, levers, and safety's are confusing [for women]", but how many of us pick up something for the first time and are automatically experts? I'm sure that all of the levers and gadgets can be learned. You don't ride the bike first, and then learn how to ride it afterwards. Sure, the extra gadgets may be confusing at first, but with very little practice they can be learned. She needs to practice enough to become proficient with any gun regardless of the type of firearm or its functions. Give her some credit, buy her something that she likes, and practice with her until she learns its operation. If you can learn to use an iPhone you have to be extra special [ed] to not be able to learn something as simple as a SIG.
Old 12-28-2010, 9:19 PM

Another vote for the M&P 9c. They're made for women,right? Just did paperwork on the 45c and they are some comfy guns.
Old 12-28-2010, 9:21 PM

SR9c
Old 12-28-2010, 9:22 PM
Banned

My significant other loves the Glock platform, there is no "What does this do, is their a safety, do I need to cock it?" Glock all the way for the ladies.
Old 12-28-2010, 9:22 PM

1. Glock 26 - I have shot this gun and love it.
2. Smith & Wesson M&P 9c - I own this gun and love it.
Old 12-28-2010, 9:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by longarmshortlegs View Post
Or the SIG P239.

Why not give the ladies a little more credit. There is a lot of talk about "all of the buttons, levers, and safety's are confusing [for women]", but how many of us pick up something for the first time and are automatically experts? I'm sure that all of the levers and gadgets can be learned. You don't ride the bike first, and then learn how to ride it afterwards. Sure, the extra gadgets may be confusing at first, but with very little practice they can be learned. She needs to practice enough to become proficient with any gun regardless of the type of firearm or its functions. Give her some credit, buy her something that she likes, and practice with her until she learns its operation. If you can learn to use an iPhone you have to be extra special [ed] to not be able to learn something as simple as a SIG.
She's been shooting my Sig P228 for 20 years and it's her favorite gun. Yet she still forgets to work the decocker and slide release properly. I don't think she's going to remember under pressure when the chips are down. I don't want her to have to think about it when a split second might mean the difference between life and death.

Old 12-28-2010, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowpoint View Post
1. Glock 26 - I have shot this gun and love it.
2. Smith & Wesson M&P 9c - I own this gun and love it.
I suspect it will come down to these two or the P99C. But I'm afraid the Glock grip might be too similar to my Kahr grip.

The problem with the P99C is the mag release. Most weapons have a button rather than a trigger guard lever. I don't want to have her get confused.

I personally have a M&P 45 in jail for 6 more days. I'll have her try it out and see if it bothers her hand web. If it doesn't, I think I have my answer in the M&P 9C.

Last edited by k1dude; 12-28-2010 at 9:32 PM..
Old 12-28-2010, 9:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
My significant other loves the Glock platform, there is no "What does this do, is their a safety, do I need to cock it?" Glock all the way for the ladies.
That's what I'm thinking. The M&P with no safety also fits that thinking.

Old 12-28-2010, 9:31 PM
Calguns Addict

M&P 9c

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
Old 12-28-2010, 9:52 PM

My wife had the same problem.. expect she has small hands, limiting the selection avail for her to use.. after a few trial with different handgun.. she opted for the M&P9c.. been shooting ever since..

just go buy it.. if she doesn't like it... tell her the store don't take returns..
Old 12-28-2010, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

The G26 and Springfield XD9 SC are quite small, but the tradeoff is that the recoil you feel is a bit more. I'd say it's a bit like firing +P+ out of a fullsize 9mm.

A good medium might something like a M&Pc or maybe a P228/9 if you want something a bit heftier? The steel-framed Sig definitely feels "softer" in the recoil department, but it's more than a bit heavier than the M&Pc. The M&Pc is slightly (by the thinnest of margins) longer and thicker than the G26 and XD SC, but it's very nice. I'm not exactly sure why they call it a compact and not subcompact, because for all intents and purposes it's a subcompact.

As for the marketed subcompacts, the G26 is thicker than the XD9 SC, which makes it more uncomfortable to carry IWB.

My 2 cents.
We also had a lot of wannabe gangsters putting the display pistols down thier pants to "try them on.". If you bought a display handgun from the Riverside Turners in the 1990's there's a greater than average chance that there is cholo crotch on it.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedpower View Post
SR9c
I'll have her hold one in the store, but I suspect the grip is too similar to my Kahr, the Glock, and the XD.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

I would go for a Walther PPS. I was debating between the Kahr and Walther and the PPS just felt more comfortable. It's not on the roster but you can use the single shot exemption to obtain one.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thukidad View Post
My wife had the same problem.. expect she has small hands, limiting the selection avail for her to use.. after a few trial with different handgun.. she opted for the M&P9c.. been shooting ever since..

just go buy it.. if she doesn't like it... tell her the store don't take returns..
I like the way you think! I could wind up with a new 9mm compact for myself!

Old 12-28-2010, 10:24 PM

I would say a sig p239 with DAK trigger (no decocking lever) or a Kahr that is metal framed. More mass in the gun will help with the recoil.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

OP- Not exactly everything you want, but maybe check out the Sig P239?