Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Mini 14, one shot, two hits

Hello all,

I have a new Mini 14 and it sure likes to throw brass! So much so that I could set up two 25m AQT's, one down range and one to the right and just aft. It seems to put the pile of spent brass in the same spot which is okay except when there are other shooters around. It also does a lot of damage to the case mouth and rim.

I have heard that there is a fix for this yet through my exhaustive searching and researching I have not been able to find it. If you could, please point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member

May want to post that question on here. They're real good with Mini-14's. Um.... If you can't find an answer here, that is.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-talk/
Old 01-31-2011, 1:30 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default Control flying brass on a Mini 14

Trigger Guard:

I think Al has it right. You can post and research on Perfect Union. Join up and say hi to faa.. (current mod).

Lots of Calgunnners are dual members there too.

You probably will hear about reducing the "gas bushing" size. Many find .040" to be helpful to lower brass velocity and still operate the action fully. To small and light loads may not cycle the action.

I made my own and is not that hard to do yourself. I hear that the newer minis have a shorter bushing, so just get your existing one out and measure it for length. They will be .187" in diameter. I used O-1 tool steel (drill rod) that can be found in some hardware stores. Also used some 304 stainless steel. Either will do the job and hardening is not required (IMO) but I did mine. Have several with some at 1000 rounds without any sign of stress.

Good luck and know you are in the company of a bunch of mini owners experiencing the same brass chase issue.

I also made a crude catcher out of electrical conduit and plastic door screen.
Actually works to keep all my brass on the bench. I don't pick up others brass because I have enough of my own and don't know how many firings they may have. Once in a while I snatch some new Hornady or Blackhills match.

Hope this helps to go in the right direction.
Old 01-31-2011, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger Guard View Post
Hello all,

I have a new Mini 14 and it sure likes to throw brass! So much so that I could set up two 25m AQT's, one down range and one to the right and just aft. It seems to put the pile of spent brass in the same spot which is okay except when there are other shooters around. It also does a lot of damage to the case mouth and rim.

I have heard that there is a fix for this yet through my exhaustive searching and researching I have not been able to find it. If you could, please point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.
^^Good advice above.^^

If your local we could make something up.

I've been clocked by a brass case while instructing a shooter on a Mini-14. Made a golf ball size egg on my forehead. Never thought that area of the body could swell that big. Sadly, the phone the picture was on died a quick death.

Justin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Sometimes, arguing just for the sake of arguing, can be fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyZRC View Post
no it can't!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
YES IT CAN!
"Pink rifle disease... SPREAD IT!"
Old 01-31-2011, 2:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Thanks, It looks like the folks at Perfect Union have the fix I need. Also found some great stuff for the old 10-22.

Thanks again,
Trigger Guard
Old 01-31-2011, 2:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

just like the G3 kills to the front wounds to the right

my mini 14 flings them pretty good too my ejector is really peened too but i think that is from the last case of wolf
Old 01-31-2011, 3:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have a few brass casings stuck in the 2X4 roofing braces at Chabot - nailed in there case mouth first from about 20 feet away.

I'm no fan of brass catchers, I find they're flimsy and don't attach well. I shoot lefty so setting up a cardboard barrier on the bench won't work. I've found this brass catcher works perfectly:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0..._brass_catcher

It hooks over the top of the reciever and mates up with a bracket replacement screw on the right side, no wiggle. You can run the gun until empty, pop in a new mag and release the bolt without femoving the catcher. I hadn't shot my Mini for about 6 months because I didn't want to bring it to the range only & have folks gripe about their eyglasses being cracked or a tooth chipped by far flung brass - some people have no forgiveness in them ....
Old 01-31-2011, 3:33 PM

If you can't find an answer you like here try Rugerforum.com.