Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:39 PM

Question Blasphemy, thinking about selling my Glock and picking up a CZ

First off, I am very happy with my Glock 17 and my skill needs to be improved to fully utilize it. I bought it as my first handgun 4 months ago and after 500 rounds it has never had issue. I had never held a handgun prior to the Glock. Yesterday at the range, I got to hold a CZ 75b and immediately noticed the great ergonomics, it felt natural in my hands. With the Glock at 50 yards I can hit all on paper target with 70% at center section of the paper target. With the CZ I was 90% at center section of the paper target. I enjoyed shooting the CZ a little more.
The handgun would be my home defense gun I guess, but I bought it primarily for range shooting.
I know the correct answer is keep the Glock and buy the CZ, which I'll probably do. But let's say I only choose one:
1) Keep the Glock and practice more and get proficient with it, I already bought TFX nightsights, match grade barrel, and multiple holsters for it.
2) Sell the Glock and buy the CZ.

Opinions?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:48 PM

I'm always thinking about selling my Glocks. All of my other firearms (CZ, Sig, etc.) give me a natural feeling when I'm aiming and shooting. With the Glocks, I'm always self-conscious about how I'm holding it, how I'm pulling the trigger, and so on because my shots almost always fly to the left.

And I swear, if somebody posts that damn target sheet...
Old 07-19-2016, 10:50 PM

It sounds like the Glock is your only handgun. If that's the case keep it. You cannot get a better gun where it matters - reliability, durability, capacity, accuracy, parts availability.

Why trade a perfect gun for one that's equal or less than...

Don't get me wrong I love my SP-01, would trust my life to it and will never get rid of it. But for an absolute SHTF scenario, I have Glocks.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule View Post
I'm always thinking about selling my Glocks. All of my other firearms (CZ, Sig, etc.) give me a natural feeling when I'm aiming and shooting. With the Glocks, I'm always self-conscious about how I'm holding it, how I'm pulling the trigger, and so on because my shots almost always fly to the left.
I couldn't have explained it any better, with the CZ it just fit right in to my hand, having never held it before, I shot it more accurately and faster followup shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDM4556 View Post
It sounds like the Glock is your only handgun. If that's the case keep it. You cannot get a better gun where it matters - reliability, durability, capacity, accuracy, parts availability.

Why trade a perfect gun for one that's equal or less than...

Don't get me wrong I love my SP-01, would trust my life to it and will never get rid of it. But for an absolute SHTF scenario, I have Glocks.
That's what I was thinking, I'm still getting my skill better and I'll get better with the Glocks and I trust it. Most of my firearm money has been going to rifles so that's why I was going to have one handgun for now. If I keep the Glock, I'll probably ly buy the CZ further down the road as well as other handguns in other calibers such as .45.

Last edited by ZombieLivesMatter; 07-19-2016 at 10:54 PM..
Old 07-19-2016, 10:58 PM

You shoot better with something you've never tried before than you do with the gun you've been practicing with. There's your answer.

In my opinion, Glocks are for cops and some competition shooters. The learning curve is steep, as is the grip angle. A CZ is a better choice all around for a casual shooter who isn't carrying.

For the life of me I don't know why all the newbies end up with Glocks.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:01 PM

Oh...and I vote for keeping the Glock and buying a CZ if you can afford it. Take them both out and practice with them side by side and then let the Glock go if it still doesn't speak to you.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:09 PM

The cz is a huge let down for me. I hated the da trigger after a while. Mine had the dreaded trigger finger blister problem, and the fit and finish were poor for the price.

It fit my hand amazing, slow fire was more accurate than my g19, but eventually that wore off. The g19 was an all around better pistol for idpa and carry.

Cz are over hyped, if they were a sub 450 gun I could see it. But they are nowhere near as nice as a Glock, Sig or HK.

They do fit that hand nicely though
Old 07-19-2016, 11:14 PM

When you find a pistol that makes you better than you know you should, grab it.
"... reliability, durability, capacity, accuracy, parts availability." mean nothing if you can't place your shots where they need to go first.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:27 PM
Veteran Member

Capacity here is a wash now. OP go fondle a High Power.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucky View Post
Capacity here is a wash now. OP go fondle a High Power.
Isn't Hi Power the gun the CZ is modeled after? Would OP really find a difference?
Old 07-19-2016, 11:39 PM

That's crazy, I am always thinking of getting rid of my glock for either a sig or possibly a CZ for the right price.

I shoot everyone else's guns better than my own, despite shooting a couple of thousand rounds through it.

The SP2022 and beretta are tack drivers for me.

When the time comes, i'll likely KEEP my glock 19 and just get a sig 226 if I find one for a good price or possibly check out a sp01.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
[b]I know the correct answer is keep the Glock and buy the CZ.

Opinions?
I wouldn't consider that the right answer. I would tell you sell one and buy the other. No use for two pistols. You're not going to go wrong with either pistol, CZ's are proven reliable and alot of people like them. I personally wouldn't trade in the Glock for a CZ.

Because I don't like hammer fired pistols, or all metal pistols.(more difficult to disassemble and work on, less reliable, more moving parts.) Go with what ever you like shooting better, although I would advise you to shoot your Glock more before deciding to get rid of it. 500 rounds is nothing, you'll fire thousands and thousands of rounds before you're a competent shooter. I bet you still flinch in anticipation of the gun blast. Another reason you're enjoying the CZ is it's SA vs the Glocks DA, SA is easier to shoot. Unless it's a SIG, because SIG's have horrible triggers.

Last edited by Germ1; 07-19-2016 at 11:52 PM..
Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tovarish View Post
Isn't Hi Power the gun the CZ is modeled after? Would OP really find a difference?
Yes the HP is slimmer. Balances better. IMHO.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Mule View Post
how I'm pulling the trigger, and so on because my shots almost always fly to the left.
There's your problem, we don't pull triggers, we press them. Press them straight back, you're jerking that trigger off.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:59 PM

Go for it I did and never regretted it now have all but cz97b and cz75b
Old 07-20-2016, 12:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I suspect you will learn faster from owning and shooting both. They are very different pistols. Finances permitting i would keep and continue to shoot the Glock for a while. Aside from that there are allot of other assets to having more than one, they need friends to hang out with in the safe so they do not get lonely.

Just a heads up CZs are know to multiply.
Link--> What is a CZ Tactical sport?
Reloading on 2x550's to feed my CZ armada.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germ1 View Post
There's your problem, we don't pull triggers, we press them. Press them straight back, you're jerking that trigger off.
https://youtu.be/IIl912RdZC8?t=221

Huh...

Distance was 10 yards.

My discovery: Some shooters, even some great ones, shoot to the left with glocks. Are they bad shooters because they shoot better with every other gun besides the glock? No.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Why do they have to be mutually exclusive?

Keep the Glock and buy the CZ.

A Glock is difficult to shoot well for most beginners. Most poly guns are. But it will teach you to shoot correctly since they're unforgiving of bad technique.

If you can shoot a Glock well, you can pretty much shoot any pistol well.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 07-20-2016 at 12:11 AM..
Old 07-20-2016, 12:40 AM

I'd keep the G17 for HD, and get the CZ for range.
If you get a 75B, get the Kadet .22lr kit for it;

great for training, 2 guns in 1!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Joseph View Post
When you find a pistol that makes you better than you know you should, grab it.
"... reliability, durability, capacity, accuracy, parts availability." mean nothing if you can't place your shots where they need to go first.
All race cars should be Civics, and they should be automatics bc it's hard to be consistent with a stick so they tell everyone it's impossible. Parts are cheap and plentiful, and you can work on them without any idea what you are doing. The right bunch of parts makes a Civic NASCAR ready.

It's like watching new AR owners shoot at an indoor, then proclaim their rifle to be sub moa and capable of 600yd shots with steel cased Wolf after a couple holes accidentally touch at 15yds....with powderpuff range duds.
Old 07-20-2016, 5:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
my first handgun 4 months ago and after 500 rounds. With the Glock at 50 yards I can hit all on paper target with 70% at center section of the paper target. With the CZ I was 90% at center section of the paper target.
Really?

In a kiln of Brimstone, and cooled in the blood of menstruating Orca whales. Licked clean by Brazilian warriors, shipped to the Unites States, and then assembled with other F O R G E D parts in Geneseo, Illinois, then blessed onto your local gun store for you to finger it.
Old 07-20-2016, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapped Hide View Post
Really?
My thoughts exactly. If you can put 75-90 percent in the center at 50 yards I'd like to see that
A little paraphrase of Niemöller: First they came for the lion hunters, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a lion hunter. Then they came for the trappers, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trapper. Then they came for the hounds men, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a hounds man. Then they came for my quarry and there was no one left to speak out for me.

You are a fool.
Old 07-20-2016, 6:13 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by portegee View Post
My thoughts exactly. If you can put 75-90 percent in the center at 50 yards I'd like to see that
Yeah, just imagine what he can do with a 1911 trigger. Though it all depends on the size of the target. I started a thread some time ago asking for someone that can make a 2" group happen at 25 yards to try my 1911s. So far no one has come forward, but many people claim it isn't a biggy for them. I am lucky to stay in a 2" group shooting a target at 7 yards. I guess my Kung fu is not as strong.
Old 07-20-2016, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapped Hide View Post
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by portegee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinVirus View Post
Yeah, just imagine what he can do with a 1911 trigger. Though it all depends on the size of the target. I started a thread some time ago asking for someone that can make a 2" group happen at 25 yards to try my 1911s. So far no one has come forward, but many people claim it isn't a biggy for them. I am lucky to stay in a 2" group shooting a target at 7 yards. I guess my Kung fu is not as strong.
Are you serious? Was at the 100 yard line at Angeles Shooting Range, for the handguns we put up our targets halfway at the 50 yard. My grouping was like a foot wide. Unless you READ wrong..... re-read my post how I said center SECTION of the paper target but maybe you somehow read right at center and wanted someone to jump on? But if you think my 50 yard 2 feet wide center section of the paper target was impressive, there was a guy to my right that hit the metal gong at 100 yard with a handgun while I missed every attempt. But really?

Last edited by ZombieLivesMatter; 07-20-2016 at 6:18 AM..
Old 07-20-2016, 6:15 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Are you serious? Was at the 100 yard line at Angeles Shooting Range, for the handguns we put up our targets halfway at the 50 yard. My grouping was like a foot wide. Unless you READ wrong..... re-read my post how I said center SECTION of the paper target but maybe you somehow read right at center and wanted someone to jump on? But if you think my 50 yard foot-wide center section of the paper target was impressive, there was a guy to my right that hit the metal gong at 100 yard with a handgun while I missed every attempt.
Was that on the weekend? The guy with a revolver?
Old 07-20-2016, 6:19 AM
Veteran Member

OP I would recommend keeping both guns if you can afford it. Now is the time to build your inventory, not reduce it. Again, only do so if you can afford to stock enough ammo and parts for both.

Wanna hear even more blasphemy? I wouldn't buy either a Glock or a CZ...
Old 07-20-2016, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Was that on the weekend? The guy with a revolver?
He was a bald Asian guy probably in his 40s, I couldn't tell what the handgun was but it wasn't a revolver, it was much larger than my Glock 17. He was very accurate, hitting the 100 yard gong consistently. After about 100 rounds and not hitting it once I gave up.
Old 07-20-2016, 6:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm an avid Glock fan but since I started shooting CZs, my Glocks have been collecting dust.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 07-20-2016, 6:29 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
He was a bald Asian guy probably in his 40s, I couldn't tell what the handgun was but it wasn't a revolver, it was much larger than my Glock 17. He was very accurate, hitting the 100 yard gong consistently. After about 100 rounds and not hitting it once I gave up.
Here is me trying. Skip to 7:55 of the video. This is when I was still having issues with the pistol... also, pay no attention to me being a noob. It was not my best day.

Last edited by MosinVirus; 07-20-2016 at 6:31 AM..
Old 07-20-2016, 6:29 AM

And thanks everyone who gave feedback, it really helped. I wanted to blame my poor shooting on the Glock, but in reality I know it's my lack of skill still, the Glock is capable of more than I can handle but I'll keep practicing. But at the same time I should pickup the CZ since it's different and practice with both.
I'm going to keep the Glock and pickup either a CZ, or possibly try more handguns. Why I was originally going to choose one was because the original plan 4 months ago was that I convinced my wife we needed a handgun for home defense. Some how I convinced her to let me buy one of each, handgun, rifle, and shotgun..... well what was suppose to be one AR15 ended up being 3 AR15s and I'm building my 4th, and still haven't bought a shotgun yet.
Old 07-20-2016, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Here is me trying. Skip to 7:55 of the video.
That is a gorgeous gun! And you handle it really well, really flat with the shots, does the compensator help?
Old 07-20-2016, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodh1 View Post
https://youtu.be/IIl912RdZC8?t=221

Huh...

Distance was 10 yards.

My discovery: Some shooters, even some great ones, shoot to the left with glocks. Are they bad shooters because they shoot better with every other gun besides the glock? No.

It's the trigger on the Glock. Bought a flat trigger (Innovative Gunfighter Solution Duty Trigger) and put a minus connector on it and it took care of shooting left with Glock.

Why fight a sucky trigger? Life is too short.

Now if I had drifted the sights to compensate for the Glock shooting left, I consider that a band aid. Upgrading the trigger just seems to make sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-20-2016, 6:43 AM

For the two guys above that was rolling their eyes at me hitting the center section of the paper target, here isthe results of my Glock at 50 yards, about 70% shots made the middle section.
For those of you experienced at shooting, you'll laugh at my 1-2 feet grouping lol, this is my 3rd time shooting a handgun though, trying to get better.
I'm the left, my friend never shot a handgun before and he's on the right. We both shot 30 rounds each for the paper target in the picture.
Old 07-20-2016, 6:45 AM
Calguns Addict

You can go swimming with your Glock. Try that with a CZ......

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 07-20-2016, 6:46 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
That is a gorgeous gun! And you handle it really well, really flat with the shots, does the compensator help?
It seems to help. If you have never tried a 1911, I would highly recommend it. And as to your original question, keep the Glock, get more handguns, but if you are on a budget, try as many as you can before you get the next one.
Old 07-20-2016, 6:50 AM
Happily Infected
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
You can go swimming with your Glock. Try that with a CZ......

I must be missing something. I am pretty sure I would be able to swim with both. One in each hand, and two in my swim shorts. ; )

I have been making myself extra buoyant lately.

Last edited by MosinVirus; 07-20-2016 at 6:58 AM..
Old 07-20-2016, 7:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Default I've had one experience with Glock

The top of the slide bugged me. Seemed like you could land a plane on it and the grip didn't seem intuitive. I didn't do well with it. The CZ is ergonomic and shot well right out of the box. It was so easy to master that my wife declared my Compact model as her own and relinquish possession.
Old 07-20-2016, 7:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
For the two guys above that was rolling their eyes at me hitting the center section of the paper target, here isthe results of my Glock at 50 yards, about 70% shots made the middle section.
For those of you experienced at shooting, you'll laugh at my 1-2 feet grouping lol, this is my 3rd time shooting a handgun though, trying to get better.
I'm the left, my friend never shot a handgun before and he's on the right. We both shot 30 rounds each for the paper target in the picture.
If that was done at 50 yards then my hat is off to you sir, especially after only 3 range trips and 500 rounds of shooting.

In a kiln of Brimstone, and cooled in the blood of menstruating Orca whales. Licked clean by Brazilian warriors, shipped to the Unites States, and then assembled with other F O R G E D parts in Geneseo, Illinois, then blessed onto your local gun store for you to finger it.
Old 07-20-2016, 7:27 AM

I just did the same thing. Sold my Glocks and Polymer pistols and switched to CZ's and 1911's
Old 07-20-2016, 7:27 AM

If it feels better in your hands AND you shoot better with it I'd say there's no choice, switch to the CZ. I got rid of my G21 for a CZ97B and haven't regretted it one bit. Then I held an SP-01 and it felt even better so I got that too.