Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Default Ruger LCR now came in 9mm!

Just saw this, interesting. I always have a soft heart for 9mm revolvers.

Quote:
Packed with the latest technological advances and features required by today's most demanding shooters, the RugerŽ LCRŽ is the evolution of the revolver. The RugerŽ LCRŽ is a lightweight, small-frame revolver with a uniquely smooth trigger and highly manageable recoil and is now available in 9mm Luger, allowing for the use of a wide variety of available ammunition.
http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/specSheets/5456.html

http://shopruger.com/LCR-9mm-Moon-Cl...uctinfo/90460/
Old 09-22-2014, 12:29 PM
I need more cowbell!!!!!!
CGN Contributor

I might get rid of my Smith Bodyguard in .38 for one!
Old 09-22-2014, 12:37 PM

Yup, that is tempting. I have a LCR in .38. If I did not plan on keeping .38 as one of my calibers, I would make the change.
Old 09-22-2014, 1:34 PM

Good luck with that in the PRC!
Old 09-22-2014, 1:36 PM

Get me the LCP in 9mm and I'll start paying attention!
Old 09-22-2014, 2:29 PM

Location: I Live in a Silver Mine and I Call It Beggar's Tomb

I Like the idea given that 38 special ammo is now so much higher than 9mm. Don't like the idea of moon clips. I'm kinda tempted to buy a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. 38, .357, and 9mm all in one. And no moon clips. Completely different type of gun, obviously.
Old 09-22-2014, 2:32 PM

Why would I choose 9mm over .38? Or .38 over 9mm for that matter? Specifically in this small revolver of course! I'd like to get an LCR and use both of those calibers in other firearms so why would choose one vs. the other?

Thanks.
Old 09-22-2014, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakyshoot View Post
I Like the idea given that 38 special ammo is now so much higher than 9mm. Don't like the idea of moon clips. I'm kinda tempted to buy a Ruger Blackhawk convertible. 38, .357, and 9mm all in one. And no moon clips. Completely different type of gun, obviously.
Ha! You answered my question without me having asked it yet. I hope when I hit the 'submit reply' button, you'll have the winning lotto numbers for me already posted!

And I 2nd the Blackhawk. I want one of them convertables as well!
Old 09-22-2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmarsh View Post
Why would I choose 9mm over .38? Or .38 over 9mm for that matter? Specifically in this small revolver of course! I'd like to get an LCR and use both of those calibers in other firearms so why would choose one vs. the other?

Thanks.
If I did not already have another .38 cal revolver and a levergun that also uses it, and wanted a lightweight small revolver, then 9mm works since I already have lots of guns in 9mm, and it is cheaper than .38. For self defense, some of the 9mm rounds are up to the task.

Moon clips are nice, making for easy quick reloads. I would have no problem using them over a HK or similar brand quick loader.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:58 PM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

I'm interested in one. So the question now becomes, how hard is it to temp modify a LCR for single action exemption or will this make the roster...
Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 AM

I just bought an LCR .38... Darn it...

Wait, it's heavier than the .357 Mag version? Hmmm I'll wait to see the first few reports.

Last edited by anbu_yoshi; 09-23-2014 at 12:20 AM..
Old 09-23-2014, 2:43 AM

I will buy one (when they make it to the roster - and they should, as every other LCR has) to accompany my Taurus model 905. But why couldn't they have made an LCRx in 9mm???? Dang it Ruger!
Old 09-23-2014, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
I will buy one (when they make it to the roster - and they should, as every other LCR has) to accompany my Taurus model 905. But why couldn't they have made an LCRx in 9mm???? Dang it Ruger!
Would micro stamping be a roster factor here in CA?
Old 09-23-2014, 7:37 AM

So this is a dedicated 9mm? Where as the 9mm/357 blackhawk isn't as accurate shooting 9mm through a .357 barrel. Cuz I want one
Old 09-23-2014, 8:30 AM

Do you have to use moon clips for the lcr9? I love the idea of a 9mm revolver! Wish it had a hammer though.
Old 09-23-2014, 8:33 AM

Moon clip only
Old 09-23-2014, 8:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone ever set up the .38 or .357 LCR's for moonclips? I'd consider it if there was a local source for a reasonable price......
Old 09-23-2014, 9:13 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but because the 9mm is rimless, it requires a moonclip to load?

Logically, one should be able to manually load each chamber, but who knows nowadays.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
not for a revolver. Just a question of whether ruger submits it or not.

I wish it was an SP-101 in 9mm
Old 09-23-2014, 11:12 AM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj View Post
Yeah I'll hold out for an X model too. If this thing sells well they would probably follow up with the X.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Wow, nice! I LOVE mine in .357. They are awesome snubs
Old 09-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but because the 9mm is rimless, it requires a moonclip to load?

Logically, one should be able to manually load each chamber, but who knows nowadays.
You can't use it without a moon clip, because there's nothing to hold it in place. The firing pin would knock the whole cartridge forward. 9mm and 45 ACP revolvers typical use moon clips. The only exception that I know of (could be others) are the Ruger single actions. They have a slightly smaller diameter 'ledge" in each chamber that catches the front of the casing, but lets the bullet pass through.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
You can't use it without a moon clip, because there's nothing to hold it in place. The firing pin would knock the whole cartridge forward. 9mm and 45 ACP revolvers typical use moon clips. The only exception that I know of (could be others) are the Ruger single actions. They have a slightly smaller diameter 'ledge" in each chamber that catches the front of the casing, but lets the bullet pass through.

Well then... that absolutely voids the "benefit" of using it as a BUG to a duty or primary firearm and loading directly from spare mags.

What the heck is the point of this variant if it's heavier and wayyy more of a hassle to use?

Oh... Money, that's right.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
Good luck with that in the PRC!
I hear where you're coming from, however, aren't most revolvers exempt from the roster?
Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel plate View Post
Microstamping only applies to semi-autos. Not revolvers.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You sure about that? I'd bet that there's a chamber mouth for the case lip to headspace on. Headspace by moon clip is dependent on the dimensions of the clip and the case head, which can vary significantly. We'll see if that's the case when someone brings out a detailed review as neither Ruger's site nor any review that I could find so far backs up your statement. I would add that my S&W .45 ACP Model 25 had true chamber mouths for headspacing. The moon clips were an aid to ejection only.

Even if there is a chamber mouth, however, ejection would become an operation of poking cases out from the front or picking them out one by one from the rear. Best to use moon clips with this revolver.
Old 09-25-2014, 1:44 PM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

^

My bet is that Ruger has the chambers cut to headspace the cartridges.
Ruger is famous for a strong firing pin strike, I don't think they would rely on springy moon clips only to hold the rounds in place.
The moon clip is for extraction and quick reloading.
Old 09-25-2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyoldretiredcop View Post
You sure about that? I'd bet that there's a chamber mouth for the case lip to headspace on. Headspace by moon clip is dependent on the dimensions of the clip and the case head, which can vary significantly. We'll see if that's the case when someone brings out a detailed review as neither Ruger's site nor any review that I could find so far backs up your statement. I would add that my S&W .45 ACP Model 25 had true chamber mouths for headspacing. The moon clips were an aid to ejection only.
Sure? No, I must admit that was an assumption based on the fact that it's featured with factory moon clips. Shouldn't have stated it as fact, never having actually seen one.
Old 09-25-2014, 2:28 PM
membrum ex machina
CGN Contributor

I will wait until after the first and second recall, and if they're available here, I would love one.

Mark 16:16
Old 09-25-2014, 2:35 PM

Maybe I need practice, but I haven't been able to successfully eject all of the casings from my .38 LCR. They seem to not want to slide out cleanly.

Is it my technique? If I turn it upside down, the casings seem to slide away on their own without using the ejection rod, but still not fully.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:11 PM
Calguns Addict

^ Try using the fingertips of your left hand to press open the cylinder as your right thumb operates the cylinder latch (I'm assuming you're right handed here, it's different for lefties like me). Let the fingers pass through the frame window and wrap around the cylinder when it's open, taking the revolver from the grasp of your right hand. Point the muzzle close to straight up (keep the muzzle pointing a little downrange) and stroke the ejection rod forcefully with your left thumb, making sure that you press it as far as it can travel. At the same time, move the revolver downward and stop it smartly as the ejection rod reaches full stroke. The movement will add inertia to the force of the ejection rod to fully eject the empties. While this is going on, your right hand is going for a speedloader or individual cartridges to reload. Tip the muzzle down to reload with the revolver still held in your left hand. Once the cylinder is reloaded, your right hand takes a firing grip, your left presses the cylinder closed and you should be off and running.

What most folks do is fail to elevate the muzzle and fail to forcefully stroke the ejector rod through its full travel. Most short barreled revolvers don't have an ejection rod long enough to fully pull cases from the chambers, you need to help them a little. Try this before doing anything like polishing chambers and so forth.

Last edited by Grumpyoldretiredcop; 09-25-2014 at 11:14 PM..
Old 09-25-2014, 11:23 PM
CalGuns Truth Squad
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by axhoaxho View Post
Ruger LCR now came in 9mm!
It's possible to change titles, OP.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I was excited by the headline too.

I have a 38 special LCR for my CCW pocket gun and it's great for that role... 13oz!

The 9mm LCR is 17oz. Doesn't sound like much, but you're now in SW Shield 9mm territory (19oz)

Combination of weight, price, moon clips will leave me not switching. If I wanted that weight I'd just go 357...

The lower ammo cost is probably the best argument for it, but how much are you really going to shoot a snubbie at the range? I stay proficient since it's a Ccw but that doesn't mean I'm shooting 1000 rds a month either so ammo is not a huge deal for me.

Check out shooting the bulls initial thoughts on the ballistics too: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...s-new-lcr-9mm/

He's done a ton of ballistic testing on 9mm... Www.shootingthebull.net

While not ideal (I'd rather have my glock 23 with 500 ft lbs or my shield 9mm with 350-400 ft lbs) I'd agree any extra ballistic performance of a 9mm vs 38 out of a two inch barrel isn't going to make much real world difference.
The USA. Country #1 in gun ownership per capita, #111 in murder rate; the facts are not the perceptions the statists wish you to believe.
FactCheck.Org - Gun rhetoric vs gun facts
Stock Trader's Look at the Stats - to make money, not to make politics.
Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy: 'Would banning firearms reduce murder and suicide?'

Last edited by thorium; 09-25-2014 at 11:40 PM..
Old 09-25-2014, 11:44 PM
CalGuns Truth Squad
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorium View Post
I was excited by the headline too.

I have a 38 special LCR for my CCW pocket gun and it's great for that role... 13oz!

The 9mm LCR is 17oz. Doesn't sound like much, but you're now in SW Shield 9mm territory (19oz)

Combination of weight, price, moon clips will leave me not switching. If I wanted that weight I'd just go 357...

The lower ammo cost is probably the best argument for it, but how much are you really going to shoot a snubbie at the range? I stay proficient since it's a Ccw but that doesn't mean I'm shooting 1000 rds a month either so ammo is not a huge deal for me.

Check out shooting the bulls initial thoughts on the ballistics too: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...s-new-lcr-9mm/

He's done a ton of ballistic testing on 9mm... Www.shootingthebull.net

While not ideal (I'd rather have my glock 23 with 500 ft lbs or my shield 9mm with 350-400 ft lbs) I'd agree any extra ballistic performance of a 9mm vs 38 out of a two inch barrel isn't going to make much real world difference.
Same here. For me, no benefit to changing from my SW642. Looks like the LCR weighs 2.5 oz more than my j-frame.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Old 09-26-2014, 3:52 AM

I will buy one (once it hits the roster) simply so I can dump my wife's LCR in 38. That is the only 38 I own, while I own several 9mm's. And I just like 9mm revolvers anyway.
Old 09-26-2014, 7:20 AM

Nice. I'll have to look into this one now. Not so much the ballistics as being able to buy more of one type of ammo rather than different calibers.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbu_yoshi View Post
Well then... that absolutely voids the "benefit" of using it as a BUG to a duty or primary firearm and loading directly from spare mags.

What the heck is the point of this variant if it's heavier and wayyy more of a hassle to use?
If moon clips need to be used, then it really defeats a lot of purposes for a 9mm snubby revolver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojisan View Post
My bet is that Ruger has the chambers cut to headspace the cartridges.
Ruger is famous for a strong firing pin strike, I don't think they would rely on springy moon clips only to hold the rounds in place.
The moon clip is for extraction and quick reloading.
Now if THIS is the case, then I can see the 9mm snubby revolver being a good seller since lots of people already have lots of 9mm rounds for their other handguns and probably don't want to start buying a bunch of .38 or .357 ammo to use just for that (like me ).

If the chambers are cut to headspace the 9mm cartridge, then I'll be buying one for sure to play around with. And with Ruger's past track record with their LCR models, I'm sure they'll submit it for the CA roster and we'll hopefully see it on the roster soon enough.
Old 09-26-2014, 4:39 PM

Not unlike S&W who just added new revolvers to the roster, this may be a way for Ruger to add some things for CA as well. Revolver revolution lol.

I already have a bunch of .38SPL from a previous S&W, but a 9mm (without clips) would be a welcome addition. S&W released 3 or 4 new 9mm revolvers too (didn't check to see if they were added to the roster or not), but they're larger frames and a few are Pro/competition variants, not something necessarily intended for carry.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:00 PM

http://youtu.be/8aVrDYcLjPs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2014, 11:10 PM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

Can be fired without the moon clip, but ejector only works with moon clip. However the empties seem to fall out. Comes with three moon clips, and surely they are cheap to buy extras. Check out this Gunblast video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4egNYn3CeDQ