Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 12-23-2010, 10:16 AM

Default Benelli M4 Pistol Grip Stock on Benelli M1

This is a how to on putting a Benelli M4 fixed pistol grip stock on a Benelli M1. The reason I went this route over just buying a Benelli M1 stock is for a couple of reasons. The first being cost, as I found new M4 stocks here for about $40 here:
http://www.berettausa.com/products/b...stock/?F_All=Y

The second is every time I tried to find a stock for my M1S90 it was out of stock.

Now to the fun.......

The first thing you have to do is make sure your weapon is unloaded!

Then remove the buttpad on the pistol grip M4 stock. It will reveal a nut that holds on the sling plate, just like the one on your factory M1 stock. When I got to this point I jumped for joy (prematurely) thinking it would be a quick bolt in swap. So remove the nut. After that you should have something looking like this.

Then you realize that it's not going to come out easily. I beat the crap out of that sling plate assembly every which way trying to bust it loose. So after a couple of hours of cursing and hitting the sling plate with a hammer I decided to cut it off.

I took a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and hacked the bolt part sticking out off.

After that I proceeded to beat on it some more, with no luck. So I went back to cutting with my dremel tool. I also tried drilling with my cordless drill, but that didn't work either. After cutting off the first washer it was still stuck. I had to cut off that big plate shown in the picture and maybe one more washer, I can't remember. After that the sling plate assembly came right out. So the first washer is a retaining plate and all the ones behind it are spacers.

In summary save yourself some time and just take a dremel tool with cutoff wheels and go to town. It should only take an hour or two.

Next to install.....

Last edited by Indubitably; 12-23-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Old 12-23-2010, 10:33 AM

After getting everything apart you just have to reassemble with your new stock. The only difference from removing the factory stock from your shotgun is this small circle piece that butts up to the receiver. It's right here on your stock.

It just pops out, you may have to use a flathead screw driver. This is what it looks like when its out. You just have to make sure the indented portion faces the receiver, when putting it back in the pistol grip stock.

Then you just bolt it all back together like a regular M1 stock.

As for final fit and finish you tell me.

I'm pretty sure Benelli just recycled this stock for a few shotgun generations, modifying it slightly. Either way it fits tight, has zero wobble. I haven't shot it yet, but I don't see there being any problems.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Default M4 pistol stock on an M1

So after looking at the above post as well as the M4 stock (purchased on Ebay,new,in box),I have figured out how to dissasemble it without cutting or drilling. First remove the nut from the back end of stock,after removing recoil pad. Now from the FRONT of M4 stock drive a deep socket onto threaded stud,the trick is to turn the pin and unscrew it from the locking plate in the back side of the sling plate. The socket MUST be on tight,now gently unscrew the stud from the plate and it will all just fall apart.
Reassemble as described in above post...........
I knew there had to be an easier way than the Dremell........
It is important to use the parts from your straight stock (M1),that is,the round washer in the front of the stock as well as the M1's sling plate(smaller diameter hole than M4's sling plate) on your new M1/M4 pistol grip stock. Hope this makes for a cleaner disassembly as well as fittting to your M1. (which it fit perfect,like it was made for the gun......!!!!!)

Last edited by Blueskyz; 07-17-2013 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: Spelling