Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-18-2010, 8:01 AM

Default anybody use TRAIL BOSS? especially for .45 ACP?

i currently use Bullseye and it works pretty good, but because the powder is sooooo fine, i'm afraid of double charging it every time i load .45 ACP. also, it's pretty darn dirty, being it such an old powder.

i read on a magazine that TRAIL BOSS is another alternative for a .45 ACP powder. apparently it's used for cowboy action shooting and it is geared for lead cast bullets, which is perfect because i handload lead semi-wadcutters.

however, the thing i liked about TRAIL BOSS is that the powder is a little bit more dense so it takes a lot of space in the brass cartridge when you charge it, thus preventing the likely chance of a double charge.

anybody with experience using this powder?

FYI: i load for a 1911 and use a SINGLE stage press. i only load about 50 .45 ACP cartridges at a time, so i'm not a high volume shooter.

"sir...does this mean ann margaret's not coming?"
Old 12-18-2010, 8:21 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, I've used TB for my .45 ACP IDPA loads. No problems on performance and it definately has benefits when reloading: white and easier to see in the case; fills the case fuller.

45 ACP RB45CP230RN Trail Boss 4.5gr WLP 1.26

Old 12-18-2010, 8:26 AM

do the grains of powder look like little donuts too? are they more flake like? i didn't know the powder was white...weird!

"sir...does this mean ann margaret's not coming?"
Old 12-18-2010, 8:31 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet_RN View Post
do the grains of powder look like little donuts too? are they more flake like? i didn't know the powder was white...weird!
Not really white white but more off-white. They do look like little flat Cherrios.

Old 12-18-2010, 8:56 AM

I really like Trail Boss for my .44 Mag, with cast bullets, and I've found that it meters very accurately in my Lee measure -- charges never vary. Even if you're a little off, though, it doesn't much matter. I've read that you can't really over-fill the case with TB, to a dangerous level. Good stuff.
Old 12-18-2010, 8:57 AM

I've found Trail Boss to be more dirty than Unique.

The one thing I do in dropping the powder is I do a "double strike" with my Harrel pistol powder measure. I've found Trail Boss to be so big and light it tends to "bridge" when I'm using the measure so I don't get a consistant charge.

I use it for 38 cal. Bullseye reloads with 148gr Hollow Base Wad Cutters. I was worried about double charges too

Trail Boss makes a great low recoil load for timed and rapid fire which is a big thing when your shooting a model 19 wheelgun in Bullseye @ 25 yds.

The kids likes the low power Trail Boss in the 6" 38 also because it doesn recoil that much more than K17 22 wheelgun that we shoot.

Last edited by not-fishing; 12-18-2010 at 9:01 AM..
Old 12-20-2010, 8:01 PM

I use Trailboss for all my Cowboy Action Shooting for my .45 Colt loads. I have no problems with metering in anything I got. For me, my cowboy reloads are dirty just because there a light load and the cases dont expand enough to seal the chamber causing blow by. On IMRs web site, there is data for the .45ACP trailboss load. Not much but they got one for each bullet weight. >>> http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 12-20-2010, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Default MORE DIRTY THAN UNIQUE..???!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by not-fishing View Post
I've found Trail Boss to be more dirty than Unique.

The one thing I do in dropping the powder is I do a "double strike" with my Harrel pistol powder measure. I've found Trail Boss to be so big and light it tends to "bridge" when I'm using the measure so I don't get a consistant charge.

I use it for 38 cal. Bullseye reloads with 148gr Hollow Base Wad Cutters. I was worried about double charges too

Trail Boss makes a great low recoil load for timed and rapid fire which is a big thing when your shooting a model 19 wheelgun in Bullseye @ 25 yds.

The kids likes the low power Trail Boss in the 6" 38 also because it doesn recoil that much more than K17 22 wheelgun that we shoot.
If Unique is called FLAMING DIRT...what do we call Trail Boss..?..LOL

(actually I love Unique and use it for my .45 wad cutters...5.2 grains).

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-20-2010, 9:15 PM
Calguns Addict

I use TB for all my low recoil loads. I love it because you can never create a KaBoom! My 54r and 223 loads are filled to the neck with great results. Love it. Only thing is the bolt won't cycle for semi-auto.
Old 12-20-2010, 9:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
I use TB for all my low recoil loads. I love it because you can never create a KaBoom! My 54r and 223 loads are filled to the neck with great results. Love it. Only thing is the bolt won't cycle for semi-auto.
I got excited when I starting reading your reply But then I was bummed. I have been looking for a TB load in 223 that will cycle an AR. I guess it doesn't exist.

To the OP, I use TB in 38spl and love it. Great powder. I'm now going to try it in 45 with the above data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...