Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-12-2010, 6:04 PM

Default Sig Mosquito barrel deforming? wtf

I purchased my Sig Mosquito brand new 3 months ago and have probably put 1000+ rounds through it ranging from CCI mini mags (during "break in"), Federal walmart bulk, winchester super-x, CCI stinger, and CCI blazers. It performed well with the blazers surprisingly so that's what I've been feeding it most. After shooting the super-x' and blazers the other day, I came upon this...
(sorry, its the best I can do with a digital camera)

http://i55.tinypic.com/15pom6b.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/29nffia.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/a3cfpc.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/11jx6av.jpg
^pics taken AFTER cleaning!

I ran a nylon brush through it and tiny metal flakes came out. After cleaning, the inside of the barrel still looks "deformed" or "melt" toward the end. I called Sig Sauer and the rep told me "it is normal for Mosquitos [barrel] to change colors and because how dirty .22lr ammo is, it can leave heavy residue". After discussing how unnatural and uncommon this, the rep insisted that it is normal. The guy offered warranty service but he told me if it comes back as non-defective I would have to pay for ship costs both ways. I am going to give it another couple hundred rounds later on the week and see how things go. In the meantime, can someone confirm this is 100% defective? When I run a cleaning patch and it gets near the sludge part of the barrel, it stops and I got to torque it a little just to get the patch through.

Last edited by GlockTalk9; 12-12-2010 at 6:06 PM..
Old 12-12-2010, 6:07 PM
Veteran Member

Try a brass brush.That looks like fouling.Never seen a .22 barrel fail like that.
Old 12-12-2010, 6:20 PM

The barrel is heavily leaded. Once leading starts, each subsequent bullet fouls more than the previous.
Old 12-12-2010, 7:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

You need to use powder/lead cleaning solution a lot more often.

One rifle, one planet - Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 12-12-2010, 7:49 PM

Man, what are you running through that thing. I shoot 500 rounds per trip from my 22/45 and have never put a brush through it. Just Run a couple patches well soaked with Hopes No9 and it comes out perfect, no fouling. I agree though, you need to get a brass brush through it.

Meyer Auto Service - Hesperia, CA
Old 12-12-2010, 8:54 PM

300+ cci mini mags, 525 federal bulk, 500+ cci blazer, 100 super-x, and 100 cci stingers.
cleaning process is wiping off excess residue with cloth. ballistol spray through the barrel and running few cleaning patches through barrel. it started "fouling" after those winchester super-x's.

ill try the brass brush and hoppes #9. unless there is a better cleaner to use for this particular barrel?
Old 12-12-2010, 9:17 PM

Change the chemicals, technique, frequency of cleaning or a combination of these three. When you are done, just do a visual check of the bore. After a couple of sessions you will know what this particular barrel needs in the way of cleaning.

You will probably have an extended cleaning session this go around, it'll be a pain, but the following ones should be fairly easy.
Old 12-12-2010, 9:40 PM
Veteran Member

I find that "Remclean" works well on a variety of gun cleaning chores. Good luck with yours---we could NEVER get my brother's Mosquito to run with any ammo!
Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

that is hideous. you should shoot for groups, i bet it will key hole lol. scrub the hell out of yet, let it soak a lot. i'm amazed.

5.56 vs. 308? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=267737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter View Post
You are not a mall ninja. You are a defender of mall ninjas.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:16 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

You have major leading in your barrel !!! That happens when a lead bullet is going too fast and melts inside the barrel. It usually happens with casted bullets driven at too fast a speed. There use to be a product on the market to remove the leading inside a barrel. Shoot!! I can't remember the name of it off hand ... But basically use a brass brush and scrub like hell. Afterwards use a brass jag soak some patches with Hoppe's #9 or some brass remover and stick it like hell. Good Luck ... Look in the barrel after each cleaning.
Old 12-13-2010, 4:53 PM

I soaked some patches with Hoppe's No.9 solvent and ran the nylon brush again. It cleaned out some of it but still minor layers of grime/fouling. Will it be fine to shoot this gun or is it critical that I wait till its fully cleaned out?
Old 12-13-2010, 4:56 PM

Spend the time now to get the barrel clean, yes it's a pain, but do it and get it over with. The fouling that is there now is what is accelerating the heavy leading.
Old 12-13-2010, 5:16 PM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockTalk9 View Post
I soaked some patches with Hoppe's No.9 solvent and ran the nylon brush again. It cleaned out some of it but still minor layers of grime/fouling. Will it be fine to shoot this gun or is it critical that I wait till its fully cleaned out?
If you have the big bottle of #9 then just soak the barrel in it. Use a BRASS brush and a BRASS jag to push patches through. That should get all your lead out.
Old 12-13-2010, 5:24 PM

yes you need to clean it before you shoot it use some choreboy cleaner patches you can get them at wallmart and clean the crap out of it you need to get that lead out of therebefore you shoot it
Old 12-13-2010, 6:15 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
I purchased my Sig Mosquito brand new 3 months ago and have probably put 1000+ rounds through it ranging from CCI mini mags (during "break in"), Federal walmart bulk, winchester super-x, CCI stinger, and CCI blazers. It performed well with the blazers surprisingly so that's what I've been feeding it most. After shooting the super-x' and blazers the other day, I came upon this...
(sorry, its the best I can do with a digital camera)

http://i55.tinypic.com/15pom6b.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/29nffia.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/a3cfpc.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/11jx6av.jpg
^pics taken AFTER cleaning!

I ran a nylon brush through it and tiny metal flakes came out. After cleaning, the inside of the barrel still looks "deformed" or "melt" toward the end. I called Sig Sauer and the rep told me "it is normal for Mosquitos [barrel] to change colors and because how dirty .22lr ammo is, it can leave heavy residue". After discussing how unnatural and uncommon this, the rep insisted that it is normal. The guy offered warranty service but he told me if it comes back as non-defective I would have to pay for ship costs both ways. I am going to give it another couple hundred rounds later on the week and see how things go. In the meantime, can someone confirm this is 100% defective? When I run a cleaning patch and it gets near the sludge part of the barrel, it stops and I got to torque it a little just to get the patch through.
I am going to guess that the Stingers might be a little "hot" for that pistol. Check your manual and/or maybe call the manufacturer to see if its OK to shoot hyper velocity ammo in that pistol. Lot of speed, so lot of heat after a few rounds. Maybe a no, no.
Old 12-13-2010, 7:03 PM

^The CCI Stingers were ok to use if the stiffer spring was used (Mosquito comes with two springs).
I'll try Walmart and Target Masters for that brass brush. Whats a jag?
Old 12-13-2010, 7:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
^The CCI Stingers were ok to use if the stiffer spring was used (Mosquito comes with two springs).
I'll try Walmart and Target Masters for that brass brush. Whats a jag?
Its better to buy a small cleaning kit for around $7-9 from walmart, that has that .22 brush already.

Jags.

I think the kit comes with some hard plastics ones, dont see why it wouldnt work with hard plastic
Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Rem golden bullits made my barrel look like that. I had to use a brass chore boy wraped around a brass brush to clear it out. if you keep shooting it will raise the pressure till it bursts the rimfire cases. in extream cases a bullit will stick half way down the bore. it will eventualy come out with alot of sweat. the chore boy should be tight fitting to the bore. and when it starts to loosen it will likely come out in long strings that are curved to match your rifling. so dont worry when you see those. DR
Old 12-14-2010, 6:49 AM
Veteran Member

Just let that barrel soak in Hoppes for a while and keep brushing that gunk out. Looks like it's going to take a long while, but I wouldn't shoot it until it was completely cleaned out. It would still probably work just fine, but I would feel a little uncomfortable shooting through a barrel that looked like that.
Old 12-14-2010, 5:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I cleaned one of my grandfather's rifles that was similar to that once and another .22 derringer of his. The rifle was so bad that the round wouldn't fully enter the chamber and the derringer was a completely smooth bore before I cleaned it. The biggest thing is let it soak in lead remover and go after it with a brass brush. Oh, IMO winchester super-x is one of the worst rounds for leading in a barrel.

Good luck.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO1911Fan View Post
Oh, IMO winchester super-x is one of the worst rounds for leading in a barrel.
QFT.
Super-X's come in a sliding box of 50rds and just loading the bullets into the magazine left residue on my finger tips. I would suggest avoiding Winchester Super-X's to everyone.

So THAT is what jags are. Those came with my cleaning kit. Still looking around for a brass brush before I go at it again. Thanks for the info Calgunners!
Old 12-14-2010, 11:18 PM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DoorImpala View Post
I think the kit comes with some hard plastics ones, dont see why it wouldnt work with hard plastic
The problem is the plastic isn't hard enough to help scrap the lead out. The plastic ones have been known to break.
Old 12-15-2010, 7:46 AM
CGSSA Leader

Super X did the same thing to mine. It takes a lot of cleaning to get the fouling out. I used some copper solvent and a scouring brush to get it out.
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

Get your Carry License!!
Old 12-15-2010, 4:08 PM

If you remove the barrel completely (by removal of the two screws) you can soak the barrel in an old recepie of vinigar and hydrogen peroxide. Don't leave it in ther longer than 10-15 minutes at a time or it'll etch your barrel. It'll oxidize the fouling and can be cleaned out with a patch. Hope this helps.

Brian

Genuine MMCS, Firefighter and father of two great kids!
Old 12-15-2010, 4:59 PM

That's pretty bad leading. I had this problem once after shooting a couple 1000 Remington Thunderbolts in my 22/45 when it was new, but not as severe as yours. Like others have suggested, use a good brass or phosphor bronze brush (I wrap mine with steel wool, others use copper colored scouring pads) and a liberal dose of Hoppes. Wouldn't hurt to grab an extra bottle during your Walmart brush run. Good luck, it will come out.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:29 AM

Default UPDATE

Forgot about this thread and feel an update should be mentioned for future reference. After 2 hours of running a brass brush, Hoppe's 9 cleaner and many cleaning patches, the fouling finally came off! and I will say it one more time: Do not run Winchester Super-X .22LR ammo in the Sig Mosquito! I will continue to use CCI Blazers as they seem to pose the fewest feeding issues.
Anyone run the Remington Golden bulk packs at Walmart?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

I'm on my phone but if you search, you would find mostly negative reviews.
Old 01-15-2011, 6:29 AM

Quote:
After 1000+ rounds of break-in with CCI Mini-mags, the Mosquitos seem to shoot other ammos OK, including the Remington Golden Bullets. But before that, they jam a lot.
Old 01-16-2011, 6:03 AM

Quote:
I do, it's one of the few things that my Mosquito eats without complaint. Exposed lead ammo + Mosquito = barrel mess, so I avoid it and I clean the gun after every range session, to prevent buildup. My method is to start with a good scrub with a brush, followed by a few wet patches (Butches Bore Shine, Shooter's Choice). A few dry patches, then I fill the bore with Gunslick foaming bore cleaner and let it sit while I clean the rest of the gun. I scrub that out with the brush, and follow it up with a few dry/wet patches. A coat of oil and I am done with the bore. This is my routine with everything short of my BP stuff.

Hoppe's 9 was a better cleaner years ago; I guess they changed their formula as just about everything else I use is better? They do have a killer version for black powder that blows away everything else, even hot water+Windex w/ammonia. But old #9 for smokeless is really outclassed these days IMO.

That little Mosquito really is a fun gun to shoot once you figure out the spring+ammo combo that works. For me, the heavy spring+ bulk Remington works great. The Federal blue bulk less so, but I haven't had much time to play with that combo. I can shoot all day for 20 bucks. Finicky little bug, but fun all the same.

RIP Kelev my sweet Lab (and avatar). The best dog in the known universe. Thank you for 14 wonderful years. I will see you again one day.
Old 01-16-2011, 8:21 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Ackkk! I think those things are trash!
Some folks seem to like them so I can only assume that the quality varies tremendously from lot to lot. The ones I got are pure s**t.

I find that they have a huge percentage of "failure to fire", and the measured velocities through the chronograph are all over the place.

Here's a chart that shows velocities of various 22LR, including remington "golden" and "thunderbolt". Note the big red "FTF"s in the remington columns. I think someone forgot to prime those...

Old 01-16-2011, 8:49 AM
Calguns Addict

When I was in NC I used hydrogen peroxide and vinegar mixed half/half and plugged the barrel from chamber end, pour the mix into barrel and wait 2-3 min... The lead peels off and when you brass brush it you can see all the lead come out... Works great!'
Old 01-16-2011, 2:41 PM

yep, deforming is exactly what happens with these cheapie barrels. i would contact sig & tell them that all you've done is use ammo & that's it, nothing abusive. like four magazine through the pipe as fast as possible. not that it shouldn't be capable. but don't give them anything to indicate it's been user error as they'll be expecting you to admit to something you've done wrong @ some point in the conversation.
i literally told a strong representative of our firearms community, that's close to sig, that they (sig) should rid themselves of the mosquito or just fix the darned problems with it. it's ruining sig sauer name & might lose a customer for life due to dealing with this poor excuse for a firearm

sorry, but not surprised @ all to read you're having problems

calling on tues./wes/thurs seem to get through to their customer service quicker. also, there's a older woman, i forget her name, she's been with them forever & will definitely want to take care of you, her customer. hope you happen to get her on the phone as some of their other tech support isn't as friendly.

but, yeah, send it back for warranty failure
it does have a limited to abuse lifetime warranty, right?

race/ride support 2013 & beyond

"....can't stop stupid sir, i can only slow it down"

)))NRA Member For Life(((

Last edited by dodge; 01-16-2011 at 2:43 PM..