Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-14-2006, 6:05 PM

Default Traders Alternative?

I was about to buy a Walther P22 at Reed's yesterday for $255. I thought it was a good price, although I did not shop around at all and was going to be an impulse buy, but my friend said that Trader had it for $230 regular price. I always knew that Traders had VERY good prices, but obviously they are no longer selling firearms. This leads me to ask what our alternative to Traders is (SF Bay Area or Central Valley). Are there any shops that have prices like Traders had? ANY????
Old 07-14-2006, 8:54 PM

Ok...I guess there are none?
Old 07-15-2006, 7:59 AM

Jeez, for someone so impatient, you'd think he'd figure out how to use a phone book or search engine.

Yahoo yellow pages: http://yp.yahoo.com/

Google local: http://local.google.com/

If you're looking for a store or something near the 94546 zip code, type in something like 'gun store 94546' and you'll find all the gun stores in that area. Then you won't have to sit at your computer for hours on end waiting for someone to tell you what's out there.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:12 AM

You're going to spend close to $20 in gas driving around to distand shops so you'd might as well get the Walther at Reeds.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

SJGE will always match Reed's and Sportsman Supplies sales prices. You have to tell them though.
Old 07-15-2006, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Damn I paid $305 for mine!
Old 07-15-2006, 1:58 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Thanks to everyones tutelage, I will search out the best prices via Yahoo, Google, Yellow Pages, and the search function. As soon as I establish which shop in my area has the BEST prices I will be sure to share that wonderfull knowledge with everyone here. This will ensure that no one else will have to go and do the same extensive leg work when inquiring about a sinlilar issue when an answer to that question has already been established. As we are all enthusiasts of this wonderful sport, I will be more than happy to share my findings because we are truely one big happy family.

Last edited by PonyFiveO; 07-15-2006 at 2:10 PM..
Old 07-15-2006, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue84s10
Damn I paid $305 for mine!
WOW... Ok maybe I will just go back to Reed's, because I think I WILL wind up spending $20 on gas looking for something thats probably not going to be there.
Old 07-15-2006, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe
SJGE will always match Reed's and Sportsman Supplies sales prices. You have to tell them though.
xenophobe...you need to keep an eye on Mike (the owner) more or stop saying stuff about that store you work in that's not true.
I've brought Traders newspaper ads to Mike asking him to match them. He calls on the phone, hangs up and tells me he cant do it.
If I bring Reeds ad to Mike is he going to sell me a SA GI 1911 for $459??

Pony, Traders had serious buying power and that's lost now. I remember when Remy 700 LTR's were on sale at Traders for $699 once a month.
Old 07-15-2006, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol
xenophobe...you need to keep an eye on Mike (the owner) more or stop saying stuff about that store you work in that's not true.
I've brought Traders newspaper ads to Mike asking him to match them. He calls on the phone, hangs up and tells me he cant do it.
If I bring Reeds ad to Mike is he going to sell me a SA GI 1911 for $459??

Pony, Traders had serious buying power and that's lost now. I remember when Remy 700 LTR's were on sale at Traders for $699 once a month.
If you call on the phone? Yeah, you'll get hung up on. Prices are not quoted on the phone. Bring the ad into the store and tell them to match it. If you haven't done that, you don't know what you're talking about. Every time there is a Traders or Reeds sale, we would have the ads under or taped behind the counter... On the rare occassion there might be an item we can't sell cheaper, but that's not the norm....

AND I DON'T WORK THERE! I'm just trying to tell people how to get a better deal there..... jesus Guess that's not good enough for you. whatever...

Remington PSS were on sale for regularly for $699, Traders sale price on LTRs was regularly $749, with their normal prices $100 higher. That's where I got my PSS.

AND FROM THE WEBSITE:
Quote:
SORRY, WE DO NOT QUOTE PRICES OVER THE PHONE, BUT WE DO
MATCH ANY LOCAL COMPETITOR'S LOWEST PRICE!
http://www.gunexchange.com/weeklyspecials.html

I'm freaking pissed off.... try to tell someone how to save a few bucks and you're called a liar.

And when I did work there, I dunno how many HUNDREDS of times I matched Trader's and Reed's sales prices. Geez.

EDIT:

HINT: For an better deal on some stuff, go to galleryofguns.com, and if they have what you want, you'll save quite a bit off what even Sportsman's Supply sells stuff for. Check SJGE's prices compared to them. The only dealer that SJGE won't beat on that site is Kerley's, and the reason? Because Kerley's hasn't been doing so hot and could use the business, otherwise SJGE's prices on Gallery of Guns would be lower. How do I know that? Cause I set the price margins there when I worked there...

Wow... look at that.... The P22 CA model isn't in stock, but I randomly just picked a CA model in stock, and look... it's almost $60 cheaper going through SJGE. In store price is about $100 more, but if you order from Davidsons directly... wow. And hey, if it's an in-stock item, sometimes we'll even match that price if you print it up and bring it in... if not, just order it off the website...

Sorry for helping people trying to get a better deal.

Last edited by xenophobe; 07-15-2006 at 5:35 PM..
Old 07-15-2006, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenophobe
If you call on the phone? Yeah, you'll get hung up on. Prices are not quoted on the phone. Bring the ad into the store and tell them to match it.
AND I DON'T WORK THERE!
This is my entire point. First of all if you dont work there how do you know what Mike is doing at a per customer basis? Also, read my post. I've brought Traders newspaper ads to Mike asking him to match them. He calls on the phone, hangs up and tells me he cant do it. If you dont work there you sure are loyal to one gun shop.

I'm not putting down Mike's store even if he is a grumpy old dude with a bad back. He's fair and helpful when he's not eating. My point is he doesnt match ads and you said he does.
With that said, Mike's store is always the cheapest when shoping through Davidsons. Ive bought a few high end guns this way just to have Mike wait until he has 4-5 guns being sent to him so he can save money on shipping. Ten day wait turned into 15 days. It happened and I've got my receipt to prove it.
I wont step a foot into Kerleys.

Last edited by capitol; 07-15-2006 at 7:08 PM..
Old 07-15-2006, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I wont step a foot into Kerleys.
Capitol, I have never been to Kerleys. What is the story to this?
Old 07-15-2006, 9:32 PM
Janitors assistant

Ordered my P-22 before they were available waited 6 months to get it serial number is low 2000's almost 1900's. I hate that finicky piece of crap. It will only eat Stingers, and not always.
Old 07-15-2006, 9:54 PM

Don't forget High Bridge Arms in SF. The last SF gun store. They do have some good prices on Sigs.

Brian

Last edited by stickman; 07-15-2006 at 10:13 PM..
Old 07-19-2006, 9:57 PM

got a new p22 3.5 inch from SJGE for 289 they matched another shop for me forget which one...about 4 months ago
Old 07-20-2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
This is my entire point. First of all if you dont work there how do you know what Mike is doing at a per customer basis? Also, read my post. I've brought Traders newspaper ads to Mike asking him to match them. He calls on the phone, hangs up and tells me he cant do it. If you dont work there you sure are loyal to one gun shop.
Actually, I worked there for nearly 6 years, quit a little more than two months ago.... and just started working again there monday.

Yes, we match prices. On very rare occassions we may not be able to match a price, but come close. Traders isn't just a gun shop, they were a nationwide distributor, and sometimes they sold product for less than any dealer can get.

I just checked RSR and Davidsons for the P22 CA. My cost after shipping is more than $255. In that case, yeah, I can't match that. Would you really be pissed off that I won't sell any particular firearm to you at a loss? Maybe you can come to my house and pay me to mow my lawn if I cover your gas?

I cannot match Big5's or Walmart prices.

And how do I know what store policy usually is? Because I have control over the prices I can set over most items and special orders in sales that I am directly involved in. I also do my best to help any Calguns members that I know. If I can't intercept them before Mike or someone who isn't allowed to deal, then it's out of my hands. I treat my customers right and a number of people here can vouch for that. I can't control what any of the other employees do.

Last edited by xenophobe; 07-20-2006 at 12:36 AM..