Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:36 AM

Default Tactical Vest/Plate Carrier

So I was looking at a cool-looking black tactical vest to complete a Marauder costume for Halloween and realized the real thing (versus costume/paintball models) were comparably priced. Then a neighbor (also a CCW permit holder) showed me his. He had a plate carrier with mag pouches in his trunk. He had worn it in Afghanistan while doing contract work there and now leaves it in his car in case he ever finds himself in a live shooter situation. "Odds of it happening are a fraction of a percent but why leave it at home," he says. "If you shelling the coin for a tactical vest for a costume, might as well get something practical."

Now at this point I'm thinking, yeah...that's what I wanna have to explain if I'm ever pulled over..."Why do you have armor in your car? Planning on committing a mass shooting?" I pretty much dismissed the idea of a plate carrier but then my wife jumps into the conversation and says "I know you. If you heard gunshots you would run right towards em like John FN Wayne without a thought about your family. The least you could do is wear a protective vest. I'm getting you one for Christmas."

So I can't stop laughing now cuz my "Halloween costume" plan has been inadvertently converted to a tactical defense plan and there's no arguing with her...she's Italian from NYC. They will stab you with a steak knife when provoked and we have Cutco cutlery. Gotta pick your fights.

So now I have to find an actual vest like I'm some television cop and wondering if there is a small tactical vest that can be stored under the seat of my truck. It will probably get used once...next Halloween along with my mask. I'll be the host serving shots of Patron tequila in shotgun shells and with squirt guns.

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.

Last edited by BC9696; 11-18-2017 at 10:42 AM..
Old 11-18-2017, 10:52 AM

Get DFNDR armor plates at the very least. Very lightweight.

https://www.dfndrarmor.com/product/b...plate-carrier/

$450 for level IIIA carrier and 2 plates.
Old 11-18-2017, 1:25 PM

Default Yeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGrover View Post
Get DFNDR armor plates at the very least. Very lightweight.

https://www.dfndrarmor.com/product/b...plate-carrier/

$450 for level IIIA carrier and 2 plates.
Is it my imagination or are they down-playing the physical impact on the person being struck with these rounds? I can't imagine being hit by a .308 round and not being knocked down. That's gotta hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=XHb--g49wsc
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

The U.S. city with the most restrictive gun laws in the nation, Washington, D.C., has the highest murder rate at 24 per 100,000.
The state with the most unrestrictive gun regulations, Vermont, has the lowest murder rate at 0.48 per 100,000.
Old 11-18-2017, 3:24 PM

Yeah, if you get shot, you'll still be in a world of pain, even with a metal AR500 plate. The benefit here is that this is so light, you'll be more likely to wear it.

Also, while I'd like to help out in an active shooter scenario, I likely would not go head to head against a rifle-toting bad guy unless I had a rifle of my own, or we were in close quarters already.
Old 11-18-2017, 4:12 PM

Not sure how good it is but this seems like a decent deal with level 3 plates for 169 l saw on gundeals.com

https://www.ar500armor.com/promotion...1021_b10148879
Old 11-18-2017, 7:38 PM
Veteran Member

OP, there are plenty of suppliers of tactical vests, they cover the full range of prices, quality and fit. They are available at every gun show. The advantage of the gun show is that you can try them on. Almost all gun store vendors have the ability on their wholesale accounts to order you one.

I suggest the gun show, a visit to 5.1.1. store, or dial up L.A. Police Gear, ROTHCO (I handle their line) or a range of others. There is a Chinese manufacture that puts out good quality vests in Ontario.

The issue isn't the vest so much. It has to be comfortable, and large enough. The question is are you going to buy plates? Does your vest fit best with soft plates or hard plates? Are you going to get side plates (expensive) which requires a special vest.

Once you decide on the plates are you going to have level IIIA or Level IV. Level IIIA is relatively common, but more of a placebo as any rifle round will blow right though it, and some hyper velocity pistol rounds under the right conditions can too.

Which plate manufacture are you going to buy from? If at the swamp meet likely no background check, just a note that you can't be a felon. If you order direct from a manufacture they will likely want to verify your not prohibited.

You recognize your armor has a shelf life, right, so how much are you willing to spend for a what if.

As we found out at Raahauge’s Shooting Enterprises early this year even a deflected rifle shot can penetrate IIIIA, and IV is expensive. http://www.pe.com/2017/03/08/what-fa...ys-in-lawsuit/

After this event a number of trainers I know that use the outdoor ranges changed their body armon, and the guys who were not committed to always wearing are now. Just food for thought.

The vest will set you back $90-$350 +/-, the plates can set you back $200-$500 each. Are you going to get front and back or just front. Then there is the stark realization that plates are slightly smaller than an 8.5"x11" piece of paper. Hold that piece of paper up to your chest and realize how much your not covering.

I also highly recommend watching thes video to conclusion as you consider the investment. Disclaimer I like this guys work, so a couple from the same guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjgGlolY-8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia1k1Zg4l2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JwlzR5nPFw

Last edited by grantar2; 11-18-2017 at 7:58 PM..
Old 11-19-2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGrover View Post
Yeah, if you get shot, you'll still be in a world of pain, even with a metal AR500 plate. The benefit here is that this is so light, you'll be more likely to wear it.
- Taking a rifle hit with an AR 500 plate will hurt more than a ceramic plate....
- Taking a rifle hit with an AR 500 plate will probably result in splatter to your chin / neck / face.
- Not sure its any lighter than a good ceramic plate.
Old 11-20-2017, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
- Taking a rifle hit with an AR 500 plate will hurt more than a ceramic plate....
- Taking a rifle hit with an AR 500 plate will probably result in splatter to your chin / neck / face.
- Not sure its any lighter than a good ceramic plate.
Huh? I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. The OP was stating that there was deformation in the DFNDR rifle plate, and that it would probably hurt. I said, well even an AR500 plate would hurt too. At least the DFNDR plate would be light. No way I would describe an AR500 plate as light.