Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 10-18-2017, 8:46 PM

Default Home Safe for Handguns / Valuables - Burglary first, and Fire second

I am looking for a small (no long guns) safe. Intent is to store multiple handguns, some emergency cash, perhaps some docs / media / jewelry. Value in the safe would probably not be more than $10K - $15K.

My primary concerns are two-fold: burglary, and fire. But I dont think I need a lot of space for fire-protected items (Id be unhappy but willing to lose handguns to fire would like to avoid cash / digital media / small valuables losses if possible and easy to do so).

The safe would need to be located indoors, in a walk-in closet, on a raised floor (no concrete slab). Given my concern over burglary Id like the safe to be heavy enough to make moving it unwieldy / problematic for a single burglar or a pair of burglars to move, and very difficult for an amateur or less-skilled burglar to crack the safe in my home; recognizing at the same time that skilled and prepared thief can get in most safes that might fit my requirements.

Given my needs and constraints, I am considering a B-rated safe without fire rating, but big enough to store a simple and small fireproof lockbox (that doesnt offer much in terms of burglary security).

Where is my thinking catastrophically bad / wrong? What am I not considering? Does this make sense or am I being ridiculous?

(Note: I plan on retiring / semi-retiring and leaving CA in the next 5 7 years and would be willing to spring at that time after relocating for a larger and more significant safe (weight and security / fire protection) but dont want or need such a safe in my current location and circumstances, and don't want to spend $$$$ on what I think is a short term preventative measure that will likely be a pain in the *** to move out of state).

Appreciate any critique / advice on the above approach.

And though I am not actively seeking advice on specific models / brands, Id certainly appreciate any you might care to share. After a fair bit of internet research, I am considering something like a Gardall B2015 (link: http://www.gardall.com/view-product/b-rated-money-chest) with a simple SentrySafe fireproof cashbox (and maybe some fireproof socks as well) to go inside the safe (SentrySafe link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W8J75E..._t2_B00BTMU8VY)
Old 10-18-2017, 10:12 PM

I would go with hidden vs. heavy though you may find an old jewelers safe that does what you want.

Just remember that the MBR closet and under the bed are the first two places a burglar will check.
Old 10-19-2017, 9:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you want something basic that could be easily hidden how about a V-Line:

http://www.vlineind.com/shop/quick-v...-handgun-safe/
Old 10-19-2017, 1:38 PM

Default B-Rate Cash Safe is perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortelli View Post
I am looking for a small (no long guns) safe. Intent is to store multiple handguns, some emergency cash, perhaps some docs / media / jewelry. Value in the safe would probably not be more than $10K - $15K.

My primary concerns are two-fold: burglary, and fire. But I dont think I need a lot of space for fire-protected items (Id be unhappy but willing to lose handguns to fire would like to avoid cash / digital media / small valuables losses if possible and easy to do so).

The safe would need to be located indoors, in a walk-in closet, on a raised floor (no concrete slab). Given my concern over burglary Id like the safe to be heavy enough to make moving it unwieldy / problematic for a single burglar or a pair of burglars to move, and very difficult for an amateur or less-skilled burglar to crack the safe in my home; recognizing at the same time that skilled and prepared thief can get in most safes that might fit my requirements.

Given my needs and constraints, I am considering a B-rated safe without fire rating, but big enough to store a simple and small fireproof lockbox (that doesnt offer much in terms of burglary security).

Where is my thinking catastrophically bad / wrong? What am I not considering? Does this make sense or am I being ridiculous?

(Note: I plan on retiring / semi-retiring and leaving CA in the next 5 7 years and would be willing to spring at that time after relocating for a larger and more significant safe (weight and security / fire protection) but dont want or need such a safe in my current location and circumstances, and don't want to spend $$$$ on what I think is a short term preventative measure that will likely be a pain in the *** to move out of state).

Appreciate any critique / advice on the above approach.

And though I am not actively seeking advice on specific models / brands, Id certainly appreciate any you might care to share. After a fair bit of internet research, I am considering something like a Gardall B2015 (link: http://www.gardall.com/view-product/b-rated-money-chest) with a simple SentrySafe fireproof cashbox (and maybe some fireproof socks as well) to go inside the safe (SentrySafe link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W8J75E..._t2_B00BTMU8VY)

I found one much cheaper than the Gardall with the same specs: https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Burgl...=burglary+safe

Looks nice with good reviews! Cheers! No fire rating but I've heard of people just buying a fire chest from sentry or first alert and putting inside these B-Rate Safes, seem to work well for a cheap price