Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 PM

Default Ordered my first Glock! UPDATE: Got it!

I have owned handguns for over two decades and own several major brands but have never owned a Glock. I have shot a wide variety of Glocks but I was never moved to buy one. I was not a Glock hater, just more of an HK/Sig kind of guy. I always respected the design and the functionality of Glock though. I was tempted when a local police agency switched over from allowing officers to carry their choice of handgun to issuing and requiring Glock 22s and my buddies there who used to carry HKs, Sigs, Berettas, etc told me they were won over by the G22.

I ordered a G19 because one of the reasons I was looking for a Glock was to add a 9mm to the collection for more cost efficient shooting. I have other 9mms but one is a Kahr P9 and another is an HK P7PSP so they don't get shot a ton. I only shoot my P9 enough to stay proficient with it as a carry gun. I think the G19 will be a bit of a "beater" gun for me. I think that as someone who likes all guns, I ought to have a Glock in the safe. I'm getting a steal of a deal and I think I would make money if I decided to sell it so it's worth a shot. (No pun intended.)

I do not like the standard 5.5 trigger so I am definitely going to swap out for the 3.5 connector but leave the standard springs in. What is the best 3.5 connector? I think the plan is for a Ghost connector to go in immediately when it arrives at my FFL. I would also like opinions on extended slide release and magazine release. What are the better ones? I looked at Glockworx and like their mag release. The Glock extended slide release looks okay. I would appreciate feedback.

When I get it I think I will take a photo of it next to some cute Asian stuff toys and post it here.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
... When I get it I think I will take a photo of it next to some cute Asian stuff toys and post it here.
make sure you post it multiple times too.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Lone Wolf has 3.5 connectors for $15.
Old 12-09-2010, 2:01 AM
Veteran Member

You're not a member here until you post that pic in over 50% of our posts
Old 12-09-2010, 5:37 AM
Veteran Member

Old 12-09-2010, 5:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I would also like opinions on extended slide release and magazine release.
I'd get the Vickers magazine release instead of the Glock model. The standard G19 release is indeed way to short. However the Glock extended version is very sharp on the edges and sticks waaaay out.

Link:
http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vic...ock-mag-catch/
Old 12-09-2010, 6:45 AM

+1 on the Vickers mag release- the only other thing to consider is some steel sights- Glock makes them if you like that style- but there are many other choices.

the 19 is a pretty awesome pistol.
Old 12-09-2010, 7:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Congrats man. I bought my first G19 in 03. I love that thing. It has been and will always be my go to handgun!
Old 12-09-2010, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your Glock purchase. You won't regret it.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/LIR_123/GlockWise.png
Old 12-09-2010, 7:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Congrats !
Old 12-09-2010, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Default You will enjoy the G 19

Quote:
I have owned handguns for over two decades and own several major brands but have never owned a Glock. I have shot a wide variety of Glocks but I was never moved to buy one. I was not a Glock hater, just more of an HK/Sig kind of guy. I always respected the design and the functionality of Glock though. I was tempted when a local police agency switched over from allowing officers to carry their choice of handgun to issuing and requiring Glock 22s and my buddies there who used to carry HKs, Sigs, Berettas, etc told me they were won over by the G22.

I ordered a G19 because one of the reasons I was looking for a Glock was to add a 9mm to the collection for more cost efficient shooting. I have other 9mms but one is a Kahr P9 and another is an HK P7PSP so they don't get shot a ton. I only shoot my P9 enough to stay proficient with it as a carry gun. I think the G19 will be a bit of a "beater" gun for me. I think that as someone who likes all guns, I ought to have a Glock in the safe. I'm getting a steal of a deal and I think I would make money if I decided to sell it so it's worth a shot. (No pun intended.)

I do not like the standard 5.5 trigger so I am definitely going to swap out for the 3.5 connector but leave the standard springs in. What is the best 3.5 connector? I think the plan is for a Ghost connector to go in immediately when it arrives at my FFL. I would also like opinions on extended slide release and magazine release. What are the better ones? I looked at Glockworx and like their mag release. The Glock extended slide release looks okay. I would appreciate feedback.

When I get it I think I will take a photo of it next to some cute Asian stuff toys and post it here.
As a GLOCK NUT myself....the G19 is a good fit. I bought my 3.5 connector from the GLOCKSTORE.COM ( a San Diego company owned by Lenny McGill)..I think I paid 20 bucks cash and carry to Lenny at a Gun Show in
Costa Mesa. Takes about 5 minutes to install it. A good deal.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...or/?return=%3f

I also have (not really needed however) a KKM stainless barrel (drop in)
for the G19. It functions flawlessly as does the normal stock barrel. Again, it was one of those cash/carry deals at the gun show that was just too good to pass up. (HELP ME)

For my hands the standard mag release and slide release are just fine. I did need a (fatter) extended slide release on my Glock 30 (.45) however.

Next on the G19 will be replacing the plastic fixed sites with something better; I haven't decided yet. No matter what you decide it's always around
100 bucks.

Here's a photo of my GLOCK 20 and GLOCK 19.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
I'd get the Vickers magazine release instead of the Glock model. The standard G19 release is indeed way to short. However the Glock extended version is very sharp on the edges and sticks waaaay out.

Link:
http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vic...ock-mag-catch/
If you are looking to save some money just get a oem extended mag release and sand the corners with super fine sand paper. After doing so you will have essentially the same piece as the vickers. Also I noticed the only time my mag would accidentally be released was when the sharp points were still present. I found those to be the only points of contact.

-Mahatma Ghandi
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 PM

The only mod I recommend is the extended slide release lever. Its a must have for all my Glocks.
Old 12-09-2010, 1:01 PM

A+ on the Vickers mag release. I didn't change the slide stop levers on my Glocks due to personal pref. I use them to hold the slide open, but release the slide with the overhand "racking" action, same as loading. I also am really enjoying the Robar grip reduction on the frame.
Old 12-09-2010, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats on your Glock Purchase!

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 12-09-2010, 1:21 PM

Congratulations on your purchase! Glocks are good guns. I would get new sights before you get any extended controls (personally, I would just stick with the standard ones).
Old 12-09-2010, 1:25 PM

Before you buy a new connector, you may want to try the $.25 trigger job. Or just dry fire untill your trigger gets smoother.
Old 12-09-2010, 1:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Excellent choice. Dont mean to thread jack but reliabilty-wise is the connector something I should consider when my G19 is my main HD gun. I'd hate to change out something when everything has been working flawlessly since.. Or is it more for competition use? Like the saying goes, "Dont fix it unless its broke". Am I better off with the connector upgrade or no? What say you?
Old 12-09-2010, 2:01 PM
Veteran Member

For home defense, do not mess with it. Leave it stock.
Old 12-09-2010, 2:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingCode3 View Post
For home defense, do not mess with it. Leave it stock.
Thats what I thought. But I'm so tempted to fix it all up but I guess I'll save that for my next Glock
Old 12-09-2010, 5:58 PM

+1 on the vickers mag release. I have them in my 17 and 23. soon to get them in my 20 and 33. It isn't as long as the extended release in my g34 but a little longer than the stock one.
Old 12-09-2010, 7:08 PM

Thanks for the great advice guys! I am liking the Vickers extended mag release and I like how inexpensive all of these Glock parts are.

My guy at the gun store is a friend and certified Glock armorer so I have a feeling he'll have some stuff done on it before I even pick it up. Something about a Ghost 3.5 trigger and some Dremel polishing....
Old 12-09-2010, 8:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the great advice guys! I am liking the Vickers extended mag release and I like how inexpensive all of these Glock parts are.

My guy at the gun store is a friend and certified Glock armorer so I have a feeling he'll have some stuff done on it before I even pick it up. Something about a Ghost 3.5 trigger and some Dremel polishing....
Ghost 3.5 connector/trigger is a hit and miss for me. I'd stick with Vanek Custom Trigger. It is a little pricey but worth the price. They use factory 3.5 connector.
Old 12-09-2010, 8:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidens83 View Post
Excellent choice. Dont mean to thread jack but reliabilty-wise is the connector something I should consider when my G19 is my main HD gun. I'd hate to change out something when everything has been working flawlessly since.. Or is it more for competition use? Like the saying goes, "Dont fix it unless its broke". Am I better off with the connector upgrade or no? What say you?
I say go ahead with the mods. If you don't like them, you can always go back to stock!

After all, the G34 already has the 3.5 connector right from the factory. Would you use it for HD if push came to shove? I would.
Old 12-24-2010, 4:12 PM

Merry Christmas to me! I picked up my new G19 today. Perfect since it's Christmas Eve it's a little present to myself. I had a Ghost 3.5# connector, Vickers extended magazine release, and a Slug Plug ready to go. (I actually visited it yesterday and had the parts put in and the trigger bar polished up too.) As you can see, I'm stocked up on magazines. It came with 3 magazines and I had 4 more waiting. (I blame the "How Many Magazines Do you Have" thread for my immediate acquisition.)

I had to dig up the one plush toy I have around the house to stage this photo. A panda cuter than Hello Kitty! with a Glock? I think so.

Old 12-24-2010, 4:28 PM

Congrats... Nice gun !!!!
Sig Sauer P226 X-Five (9mm)
Kimber Ultra Carry (45 ACP)
Old 12-24-2010, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Awesome. Welcome to the club
Old 12-24-2010, 4:50 PM

Congrats on the G19. I love mine and the low cost of ammo. I had a extended slide release on my G21 but took it off after my right thumb was riding up on it causing the slide to lock back prematurely. YMMV.
Old 12-24-2010, 4:56 PM

Congrats! Cant wait to add a Glock to my collection. Merry Christmas!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Old 12-24-2010, 5:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Welcome to the club! I promise you one won't be enough once you really catch the Glock-Craze!
Old 12-24-2010, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Great...!

I love the GLOCK 19...

A perfect 9MM weapon.

Enjoy!

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 12-24-2010, 6:52 PM

You may find yourself owning more than one. Whether or not someone thinks they are plastic toys you can find in aisle five at Walmart, every gun enthusiast should own at least one Glock. I bought one and found myself with more.
Old 12-24-2010, 6:58 PM

Congratulations! I have shot Glock's for quite a while. But I actually purchased my first one this year... So I guess I can relate. I am very happy with my G23 and I am feeling a G19 in my future. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:57 PM

Congrats!
Old 12-24-2010, 11:09 PM

good stuff!