Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Heiko's Avatar
Heiko Heiko is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,027
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default Ordered my first Glock! UPDATE: Got it!

I have owned handguns for over two decades and own several major brands but have never owned a Glock. I have shot a wide variety of Glocks but I was never moved to buy one. I was not a Glock hater, just more of an HK/Sig kind of guy. I always respected the design and the functionality of Glock though. I was tempted when a local police agency switched over from allowing officers to carry their choice of handgun to issuing and requiring Glock 22s and my buddies there who used to carry HKs, Sigs, Berettas, etc told me they were won over by the G22.

I ordered a G19 because one of the reasons I was looking for a Glock was to add a 9mm to the collection for more cost efficient shooting. I have other 9mms but one is a Kahr P9 and another is an HK P7PSP so they don't get shot a ton. I only shoot my P9 enough to stay proficient with it as a carry gun. I think the G19 will be a bit of a "beater" gun for me. I think that as someone who likes all guns, I ought to have a Glock in the safe. I'm getting a steal of a deal and I think I would make money if I decided to sell it so it's worth a shot. (No pun intended.)

I do not like the standard 5.5 trigger so I am definitely going to swap out for the 3.5 connector but leave the standard springs in. What is the best 3.5 connector? I think the plan is for a Ghost connector to go in immediately when it arrives at my FFL. I would also like opinions on extended slide release and magazine release. What are the better ones? I looked at Glockworx and like their mag release. The Glock extended slide release looks okay. I would appreciate feedback.

When I get it I think I will take a photo of it next to some cute Asian stuff toys and post it here.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 PM
kablooie's Avatar
kablooie kablooie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: LA County
Posts: 311
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
... When I get it I think I will take a photo of it next to some cute Asian stuff toys and post it here.
make sure you post it multiple times too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2010, 11:11 PM
ChrisTKHarris's Avatar
ChrisTKHarris ChrisTKHarris is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 4,218
iTrader: 35 / 97%
Default

Lone Wolf has 3.5 connectors for $15.
__________________
Don't let the name fool you...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2010, 2:01 AM
Blackhawk556's Avatar
Blackhawk556 Blackhawk556 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: FresNO, Ca
Posts: 3,665
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

You're not a member here until you post that pic in over 50% of our posts
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2010, 5:37 AM
RollingCode3's Avatar
RollingCode3 RollingCode3 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orange County
Posts: 2,737
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

__________________
Tapping out is not an option....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2010, 5:46 AM
sd_shooter's Avatar
sd_shooter sd_shooter is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,944
iTrader: 72 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
I would also like opinions on extended slide release and magazine release.
I'd get the Vickers magazine release instead of the Glock model. The standard G19 release is indeed way to short. However the Glock extended version is very sharp on the edges and sticks waaaay out.

Link:
http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vic...ock-mag-catch/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2010, 6:45 AM
cmaynes's Avatar
cmaynes cmaynes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 812
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

+1 on the Vickers mag release- the only other thing to consider is some steel sights- Glock makes them if you like that style- but there are many other choices.

the 19 is a pretty awesome pistol.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2010, 7:13 AM
stphnman20's Avatar
stphnman20 stphnman20 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SCV
Posts: 6,617
iTrader: 26 / 100%
Default

Congrats man. I bought my first G19 in 03. I love that thing. It has been and will always be my go to handgun!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-09-2010, 7:18 AM
glockwise2000's Avatar
glockwise2000 glockwise2000 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 2,502
iTrader: 60 / 100%
Default

Congratulations on your Glock purchase. You won't regret it.
__________________
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") Copy and paste this bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.!!!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/LIR_123/GlockWise.png
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-09-2010, 7:20 AM
den888's Avatar
den888 den888 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 10,260
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Congrats !
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-09-2010, 7:46 AM
Oceanbob's Avatar
Oceanbob Oceanbob is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,526
iTrader: 81 / 100%
Default You will enjoy the G 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
I have owned handguns for over two decades and own several major brands but have never owned a Glock. I have shot a wide variety of Glocks but I was never moved to buy one. I was not a Glock hater, just more of an HK/Sig kind of guy. I always respected the design and the functionality of Glock though. I was tempted when a local police agency switched over from allowing officers to carry their choice of handgun to issuing and requiring Glock 22s and my buddies there who used to carry HKs, Sigs, Berettas, etc told me they were won over by the G22.

I ordered a G19 because one of the reasons I was looking for a Glock was to add a 9mm to the collection for more cost efficient shooting. I have other 9mms but one is a Kahr P9 and another is an HK P7PSP so they don't get shot a ton. I only shoot my P9 enough to stay proficient with it as a carry gun. I think the G19 will be a bit of a "beater" gun for me. I think that as someone who likes all guns, I ought to have a Glock in the safe. I'm getting a steal of a deal and I think I would make money if I decided to sell it so it's worth a shot. (No pun intended.)

I do not like the standard 5.5 trigger so I am definitely going to swap out for the 3.5 connector but leave the standard springs in. What is the best 3.5 connector? I think the plan is for a Ghost connector to go in immediately when it arrives at my FFL. I would also like opinions on extended slide release and magazine release. What are the better ones? I looked at Glockworx and like their mag release. The Glock extended slide release looks okay. I would appreciate feedback.

When I get it I think I will take a photo of it next to some cute Asian stuff toys and post it here.
As a GLOCK NUT myself....the G19 is a good fit. I bought my 3.5 connector from the GLOCKSTORE.COM ( a San Diego company owned by Lenny McGill)..I think I paid 20 bucks cash and carry to Lenny at a Gun Show in
Costa Mesa. Takes about 5 minutes to install it. A good deal.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...or/?return=%3f

I also have (not really needed however) a KKM stainless barrel (drop in)
for the G19. It functions flawlessly as does the normal stock barrel. Again, it was one of those cash/carry deals at the gun show that was just too good to pass up. (HELP ME)

For my hands the standard mag release and slide release are just fine. I did need a (fatter) extended slide release on my Glock 30 (.45) however.

Next on the G19 will be replacing the plastic fixed sites with something better; I haven't decided yet. No matter what you decide it's always around
100 bucks.

Here's a photo of my GLOCK 20 and GLOCK 19.

__________________
May the Bridges I burn light the way.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-09-2010, 10:22 AM
ZRT650's Avatar
ZRT650 ZRT650 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: My House
Posts: 1,163
iTrader: 72 / 100%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_shooter View Post
I'd get the Vickers magazine release instead of the Glock model. The standard G19 release is indeed way to short. However the Glock extended version is very sharp on the edges and sticks waaaay out.

Link:
http://vickerstactical.com/larry-vic...ock-mag-catch/
If you are looking to save some money just get a oem extended mag release and sand the corners with super fine sand paper. After doing so you will have essentially the same piece as the vickers. Also I noticed the only time my mag would accidentally be released was when the sharp points were still present. I found those to be the only points of contact.
__________________
‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’

-Mahatma Ghandi
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Agent Tikki's Avatar
Agent Tikki Agent Tikki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles/Harbor City
Posts: 1,212
iTrader: 55 / 100%
Default

The only mod I recommend is the extended slide release lever. Its a must have for all my Glocks.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-09-2010, 1:01 PM
Kanoodler's Avatar
Kanoodler Kanoodler is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 226
iTrader: 55 / 100%
Default

A+ on the Vickers mag release. I didn't change the slide stop levers on my Glocks due to personal pref. I use them to hold the slide open, but release the slide with the overhand "racking" action, same as loading. I also am really enjoying the Robar grip reduction on the frame.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-09-2010, 1:12 PM
hcbr's Avatar
hcbr hcbr is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,555
iTrader: 65 / 100%
Default

Congrats on your Glock Purchase!
__________________
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
Mahatma Gandhi

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-09-2010, 1:21 PM
dagger10k's Avatar
dagger10k dagger10k is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 179
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Congratulations on your purchase! Glocks are good guns. I would get new sights before you get any extended controls (personally, I would just stick with the standard ones).
__________________
A-67007
My Videos
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-09-2010, 1:25 PM
Agent Tikki's Avatar
Agent Tikki Agent Tikki is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles/Harbor City
Posts: 1,212
iTrader: 55 / 100%
Default

Before you buy a new connector, you may want to try the $.25 trigger job. Or just dry fire untill your trigger gets smoother.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-09-2010, 1:58 PM
evidens83's Avatar
evidens83 evidens83 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oceanside CA x Tacoma WA
Posts: 7,898
iTrader: 50 / 100%
Default

Excellent choice. Dont mean to thread jack but reliabilty-wise is the connector something I should consider when my G19 is my main HD gun. I'd hate to change out something when everything has been working flawlessly since.. Or is it more for competition use? Like the saying goes, "Dont fix it unless its broke". Am I better off with the connector upgrade or no? What say you?
__________________
WTS 10/22 Lasermax laser CHEAP!!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-09-2010, 2:01 PM
RollingCode3's Avatar
RollingCode3 RollingCode3 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orange County
Posts: 2,737
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

For home defense, do not mess with it. Leave it stock.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-09-2010, 2:02 PM
evidens83's Avatar
evidens83 evidens83 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oceanside CA x Tacoma WA
Posts: 7,898
iTrader: 50 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingCode3 View Post
For home defense, do not mess with it. Leave it stock.
Thats what I thought. But I'm so tempted to fix it all up but I guess I'll save that for my next Glock
__________________
WTS 10/22 Lasermax laser CHEAP!!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-09-2010, 5:58 PM
kln5's Avatar
kln5 kln5 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: madera, ca
Posts: 203
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

+1 on the vickers mag release. I have them in my 17 and 23. soon to get them in my 20 and 33. It isn't as long as the extended release in my g34 but a little longer than the stock one.
__________________
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference-they deserve a place of honor with all that is good. -George Washington
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-09-2010, 7:08 PM
Heiko's Avatar
Heiko Heiko is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,027
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Thanks for the great advice guys! I am liking the Vickers extended mag release and I like how inexpensive all of these Glock parts are.

My guy at the gun store is a friend and certified Glock armorer so I have a feeling he'll have some stuff done on it before I even pick it up. Something about a Ghost 3.5 trigger and some Dremel polishing....
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-09-2010, 8:02 PM
RollingCode3's Avatar
RollingCode3 RollingCode3 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Orange County
Posts: 2,737
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Thanks for the great advice guys! I am liking the Vickers extended mag release and I like how inexpensive all of these Glock parts are.

My guy at the gun store is a friend and certified Glock armorer so I have a feeling he'll have some stuff done on it before I even pick it up. Something about a Ghost 3.5 trigger and some Dremel polishing....
Ghost 3.5 connector/trigger is a hit and miss for me. I'd stick with Vanek Custom Trigger. It is a little pricey but worth the price. They use factory 3.5 connector.
__________________
Tapping out is not an option....
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-09-2010, 8:09 PM
sd_shooter's Avatar
sd_shooter sd_shooter is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: San Diego
Posts: 6,944
iTrader: 72 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidens83 View Post
Excellent choice. Dont mean to thread jack but reliabilty-wise is the connector something I should consider when my G19 is my main HD gun. I'd hate to change out something when everything has been working flawlessly since.. Or is it more for competition use? Like the saying goes, "Dont fix it unless its broke". Am I better off with the connector upgrade or no? What say you?
I say go ahead with the mods. If you don't like them, you can always go back to stock!

After all, the G34 already has the 3.5 connector right from the factory. Would you use it for HD if push came to shove? I would.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-24-2010, 4:12 PM
Heiko's Avatar
Heiko Heiko is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,027
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Merry Christmas to me! I picked up my new G19 today. Perfect since it's Christmas Eve it's a little present to myself. I had a Ghost 3.5# connector, Vickers extended magazine release, and a Slug Plug ready to go. (I actually visited it yesterday and had the parts put in and the trigger bar polished up too.) As you can see, I'm stocked up on magazines. It came with 3 magazines and I had 4 more waiting. (I blame the "How Many Magazines Do you Have" thread for my immediate acquisition.)

I had to dig up the one plush toy I have around the house to stage this photo. A panda cuter than Hello Kitty! with a Glock? I think so.

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-24-2010, 4:28 PM
Mastermason11's Avatar
Mastermason11 Mastermason11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cerritos, CA (LA/OC)
Posts: 141
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Congrats... Nice gun !!!!
__________________
Sig Sauer P226 (40 S&W)
Kimber Raptor Stainless II 1911 (45 ACP)
Stag Arms AR-15 (5.56)
Sig Sauer P226 X-Five (9mm)
Kimber Ultra Carry (45 ACP)
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-24-2010, 4:40 PM
Joe Joe is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sac
Posts: 5,722
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Awesome. Welcome to the club
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-24-2010, 4:50 PM
camario camario is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 63
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Congrats on the G19. I love mine and the low cost of ammo. I had a extended slide release on my G21 but took it off after my right thumb was riding up on it causing the slide to lock back prematurely. YMMV.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-24-2010, 4:56 PM
jak77's Avatar
jak77 jak77 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pasadena
Posts: 1,459
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Congrats! Cant wait to add a Glock to my collection. Merry Christmas!
__________________
WTT My BCM Carbine upper for your midlength! Check me out!!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."


Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-24-2010, 5:03 PM
762.DEFENSE's Avatar
762.DEFENSE 762.DEFENSE is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: N/A
Posts: 6,286
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Welcome to the club! I promise you one won't be enough once you really catch the Glock-Craze!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-24-2010, 5:22 PM
Oceanbob's Avatar
Oceanbob Oceanbob is online now
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,526
iTrader: 81 / 100%
Default Great...!

I love the GLOCK 19...

A perfect 9MM weapon.

Enjoy!
__________________
May the Bridges I burn light the way.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-24-2010, 6:52 PM
MarioS MarioS is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,854
iTrader: 83 / 100%
Default

You may find yourself owning more than one. Whether or not someone thinks they are plastic toys you can find in aisle five at Walmart, every gun enthusiast should own at least one Glock. I bought one and found myself with more.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-24-2010, 6:58 PM
us.marshal's Avatar
us.marshal us.marshal is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego County
Posts: 190
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Congratulations! I have shot Glock's for quite a while. But I actually purchased my first one this year... So I guess I can relate. I am very happy with my G23 and I am feeling a G19 in my future. Merry Christmas everyone!
__________________
I love all things LaRue!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Lumpia is sarap!®'s Avatar
Lumpia is sarap!® Lumpia is sarap!® is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bahay sa Los Angeles.
Posts: 2,098
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Congrats!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-24-2010, 11:09 PM
dlouie87 dlouie87 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Yuba County, Ca
Posts: 1,838
iTrader: 62 / 100%
Default

good stuff!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 9:14 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.