Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 10-14-2010, 10:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Default San Luis Obispo

Quote:
SAN LUIS OBISPO COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
POLICY REGARDING ISSUANCE OF LICENSE FOR CONCEALED FIREARM

POLICY STATEMENT

This order establishes the policy and sets guidelines for accepting applications to carry a concealed pistol, revolver, or other firearm, and the issuance of an authorizing license.

A Concealed Weapon License shall not be granted merely for the personal convenience of the applicant. A position or job classification in itself should not constitute good cause for the issuance or denial of a license. Each application shall be individually reviewed for cause.

ISSUANCE OF LICENSES FOR CONCEALED FIREARM(S)

In accordance with Penal Code Sections 26150 and 26155, the Sheriff of San Luis Obispo County, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies the below listed criteria and has completed a specified course of training as identified in this application, may issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

CRITERIA

Applicant is a resident within the county or a city within this county, or applicant spends a substantial period of time in the applicant’s principal place of employment or business in the County of San Luis Obispo or a city within this county.

APPLICATION REQUESTS

Any person may obtain a Concealed Weapon License Application from the Permit Office Clerk. Note: Applications will not be accepted unless complete and legible.

Each new applicant must demonstrate proof of residence by some type of recognized identification card or driver’s license, and at least one canceled item of current mail (with your name and street address). New applicants are requested to provide at least 3 signed letters of character reference from individuals other than relatives.

If the CCW license is desired for self-protection, the protection of others, or for the protection of large sums of money or valuable property, you are required to explain and provide good cause pursuant to Penal Code Section 26150 for issuance of the license. For example, has your life or property been threatened or jeopardized? Explain incidents and include dates, times, locations, and names of police agencies to which these incidents were reported.
From: San Luis Obispo County CCW Policy .pdf linked at: http://slosheriff.org/forms_and_applications.php

Anyone who gets denied in San Luis Obispo Co (either by a city's PD or by the Sheriff's Office), and wants to fight it should read the following quote from my ("Paladin") post in the Monterey Co thread. (There they accept SD as GC, but push the GMC requirement.) The 14th Amendment Equal Protection applies to ALL aspects of the application process, not just GC and GMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
So, they say SD = GC, but then push GMC through the roof and, it appears, make your RKBA subject to your neighbors', co-workers' and friends' ratification....

If Bernal does NOT follow this same procedure with ALL CCW applicants (think political donors, "friends of the sheriff"/"posse" members, politicians, celebrities), he's open for a Guillory-type 14th A Equal Protection federal lawsuit, but for GMC rather than GC.

Hypothetically, let's say there's a world-famous film star (and director) who lives in (and was once the mayor of) Carmel-By-The-Sea, a city which, acc to CGF's 2013 survey, does not issue CCWs. We'll call him "Mr. E." Let's suppose Mr. E has a Monterey SO CCW. When it is/was time to renew, if the sheriff has the same policy for renewals that means his "background investigator" would have to go to Mr. E's neighbors (who, unlike his friends, may be hard-core antis), and "ask them if they would recommend [Mr. E] be issued a CCW permit." Not only would the same procedure have to be followed, but the same standard as to judging whether to issue or not be followed. IOW, let's say 1 of your neighbors says "Nyet!" when asked if you should get a CCW and because of that you are denied. If 1 of Mr. E's neighbors also said "No!" and yet was issued, that too is a 14th A Equal Protection violation.

Last edited by Paladin; 01-03-2016 at 2:45 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 6:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm a SLO county resident, Grover Beach in particular. What is it that you need me to do?

**EDIT**

SLO county pdf for CCW applicants: http://slosheriff.org/_FAQ/documents/CCW_Internet.pdf

Last edited by choprzrul; 10-18-2010 at 7:06 PM..
Old 10-18-2010, 10:01 PM

As someone who has applied previously and denied for cause despite holding CCW in several other states, I will be very interested to see what good cause statements have been accepted.

I did a PRAR request myself a couple years back after the denial trying to learn what statements had been accepted. Despite the request specifically limiting to copies of the cause statements, they still wanted about two grand in copy costs to cough them up... just couldn't go any further after that, which was likely the point.
Old 10-20-2010, 7:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can we develop a standardized CCW policy, that fulfills the requirements of the law, that we can provide to the newly elected sheriffs?

This would provide cover for a sheriff when challenged on his CCW policy; "we are using a standard CCW policy that has been accepted around the state and follows CA state law".

Perhaps those new sheriffs would be open to assistance going through GC statements to 'help' them stay out of legal trouble. Shoot, why not have CGN members seek employment with a department to administer the CCW program?

Time to be proactive in developing policy and procedure.

Old 10-20-2010, 8:45 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
Can we develop a standardized CCW policy, that fulfills the requirements of the law, that we can provide to the newly elected sheriffs?

This would provide cover for a sheriff when challenged on his CCW policy; "we are using a standard CCW policy that has been accepted around the state and follows CA state law".

Perhaps those new sheriffs would be open to assistance going through GC statements to 'help' them stay out of legal trouble. Shoot, why not have CGN members seek employment with a department to administer the CCW program?

Time to be proactive in developing policy and procedure.

This is already underway.

Member, CRPA Board of Directors
"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke

Search Calguns using Google
CGN Search plugin for Firefox & IE CA Shotgun AW ID Flowchart CA Handgun AW ID Flowchart CA Senate CA Assembly Anti-2A Search Plugin
Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Hello everybody! Getting ready to apply in SLO. I have a question though.. reading through the information on Gray's link above, I saw that the ONLY "good cause" was if being threatened.. i.e. a stalker, death threats, etc. Is this the current guideline?
Old 11-08-2010, 12:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

My understanding is that SLO allows pretty much anything that is well written and articulate as good cause.

I had a friend with a CCW in slo, IIRC he just had a nice letter that said that he would like to have the means to defend his life and the lives of his family should the need arise (or something to that effect).

Subscribe to Proto Ordnance
Old 11-08-2010, 1:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Anecdotal evidence suggests SLO swung into dark red territory.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-08-2010, 4:39 PM

sorry... forgive me, but what does that mean?
Old 11-08-2010, 6:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It means that SLO is (at least currently) unfriendly to 2A/CCW.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 11-09-2010, 9:44 AM

gotcha! I was taking "red" territory as Republican or gun friendly... which confused me! lol
Old 11-09-2010, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
It means that SLO is (at least currently) unfriendly to 2A/CCW.
I'm sure you get tired of hearing this, but can you guys please sue my county next?
Old 11-15-2010, 3:40 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hat tip to Mr. Combs, in the news: http://kccn.tv/gunpermit.cfm

It begins...

Quote:
By Daniel Blackburn

Incoming San Luis Obispo County sheriff Ian Parkinson will encounter one additional headache when he takes office in January: A powerful California gun advocacy group plans a major campaign to make firearm carrying permits easily obtainable to all “law abiding Californians.”....
OCM (observing copywrite material), see link for full text.

Old 11-15-2010, 3:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

heheh, "a Powerful California Gun Advocacy Group"

I like it.

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Old 11-20-2010, 8:52 AM

So I am thinking about applying for a SLO county CCW, but before I waste the time and money.... Does anybody have any recent experiences with the new sherriff (Parkinson) that would be helpful?
Old 11-20-2010, 7:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Volunteer in the "call for volunteers" thread in the main 2A forum. When the time is right you will get an email on how to proceed. There will also likely be a thread here when we request activity in a particular county.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarget87 View Post
So I am thinking about applying for a SLO county CCW, but before I waste the time and money.... Does anybody have any recent experiences with the new sherriff (Parkinson) that would be helpful?
i'm in the same boat... no experience with the sheriff but can't be any worse than the last one... I hope. I wasn't thinking about CCW during the election, but wish i'd at least looked into it. I voted against the other guy because of the persistent rumours of fraud/corruption. And that Parkinson was at least endorsed by the local bible store owner.

Any thoughts/news on UOC here in SLO county? i have a little girl to protect, and parks full of dog owners who ignore the leash laws.
Old 11-21-2010, 1:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontarget87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert68 View Post
i'm in the same boat... no experience with the sheriff but can't be any worse than the last one... I hope. I wasn't thinking about CCW during the election, but wish i'd at least looked into it. I voted against the other guy because of the persistent rumours of fraud/corruption. And that Parkinson was at least endorsed by the local bible store owner.

Any thoughts/news on UOC here in SLO county? i have a little girl to protect, and parks full of dog owners who ignore the leash laws.
Please sign up per the instructions in this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=353115

When the time comes to either take action in your county, or when your county is determined to be "shall issue" and it is safe to apply with "self defense" as your good cause, you will be notified in this thread or via email.

Also, please consider donating to help pay for all the PRA's and lawyers that it is taking to do this work. The cost of sponsoring your county is about the same as the cost of the mandatory background check!
http://www.cgfstore.org/product/carr...ty-sponsorship
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 11-25-2010, 7:45 PM

I have a CCW in SLO County under Hedges.... I think Parkinson will be much easier to have them granted. Wait it out a few months everyone...
Old 11-25-2010, 11:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikDMAX View Post
I have a CCW in SLO County under Hedges.... I think Parkinson will be much easier to have them granted. Wait it out a few months everyone...
Agreed, SLO is a county we want to apply some diplomacy and forward airstrikes prior to moving in the ground forces.

Old 11-26-2010, 8:16 PM

I am in the process for my CCW out here in Missouri I should get it in two weeks. How can I apply for one out of state for when I visit my brother who happens to live in SLO county? I lived there for 18 years and I know he packs heat but hes a cop.

Californian born and orginally from the Central Coast (Arroyo Grande, CA) who is currently serving in the Air National Guard of Missouri.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
As someone who has applied previously and denied...

... Despite the request specifically limiting to copies of the cause statements, they still wanted about two grand in copy costs to cough them up... just couldn't go any further after that, which was likely the point.
A few years ago, i read that this had come to public attention and the government offices that were pulling this were being compelled to charge more reasonable rates for the copies people request.

I'm not sure where this stands now, but i'd be willing to help both look into it (internet searches and phone calls) and to follow up if i can (i'm a few hundred feet from grover beach's city offices, and down the street from south county court offices.

i'm just now learning about Calguns work on CCW and what is being done. I'd also like to learn what efforts are being done for OC in my area if anyone would like to contact me.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred@tor View Post
I am in the process for my CCW out here in Missouri I should get it in two weeks. How can I apply for one out of state for when I visit my brother who happens to live in SLO county? I lived there for 18 years and I know he packs heat but hes a cop.
Unfortunately, you cannot receive a non-resident license unless you have a compelling business interest in SLO (and you can convince the sheriff). This will be fixed timely but not immediately.

Old 11-29-2010, 5:06 PM

Quote:
You gotta be kidding me... Parkinson is going to be worse unless he's forced; Cortez would have freely issued, but despite his campaign promises I have severe doubts about our new sheriff. When I applied the first time for CCW in 2005 I had to go see the city first before the county. I walk in and ask for an app... they have me wait for the captain (Parkinson), who comes out and tells me he doesn't issue unless you have a documented threat against you, and doesn't like to issue anyway due to the liability involved. Took almost a half hour for me to get the app out of him so I could do it, get my written denial, and move on to the sheriff.
Old 11-30-2010, 5:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos7 View Post
I walk in and ask for an app... they have me wait for the captain (Parkinson), who comes out and tells me he doesn't issue unless you have a documented threat against you, and doesn't like to issue anyway due to the liability involved.
That is a totally bogus argument. Does the State of California accept liability when they issue you a drivers license? Parkinson will not willingly give out CCW's. He is cut from the same cloth as the previous Sheriff. Parkinson has a colorful "history" too.
Old 11-30-2010, 8:46 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am eagerly awaiting CGF's release of SLO's GC statements. I am curious as to whether or not the county has released them yet. Makes me wonder how many apps statewide are getting shredded rather than released???

Old 12-01-2010, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Unfortunately, you cannot receive a non-resident license unless you have a compelling business interest in SLO (and you can convince the sheriff). This will be fixed timely but not immediately.
Is there a way I can be automatically updated about the situation out there like email news letters or anything or shall I just keep checking this thread? Thanks for the reply by the way.

Californian born and orginally from the Central Coast (Arroyo Grande, CA) who is currently serving in the Air National Guard of Missouri.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Default What when where and who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Please sign up per the instructions in this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=353115

When the time comes to either take action in your county, or when your county is determined to be "shall issue" and it is safe to apply with "self defense" as your good cause, you will be notified in this thread or via email.

Also, please consider donating to help pay for all the PRA's and lawyers that it is taking to do this work. The cost of sponsoring your county is about the same as the cost of the mandatory background check!
http://www.cgfstore.org/product/carr...ty-sponsorship
So I signed up for the calguns foundation CCW list deal, but I have not received anymore information about it. Is there somebody that I can talk to about it or at least knows what exactly is going on. I have some patience, but if we're talking a year or two from now, that's going to be tough one to hurry up and wait for.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Feel free to pm wildhawker. I don't think there is much to tell right now. He has already used the volunteer list in two counties. I don't know which will be next.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:56 PM
I need a LIFE!!

San Luis Residents, please hang tight. We've not forgotten about you.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 PM

Technically i'm still a resident there its my home of record...

Old 12-18-2010, 10:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred@tor View Post
Technically i'm still a resident there its my home of record...
heh, Same here....

Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Can I do my own FOIA request to SLOSD for CCW apps/GC statements? Don't they have to provide the documents by law? Could we FOIA them so much that it would be easier to just issue us a CCW?

If I do my own FOIA and get the docs, would it be helpful if I started redacting and forwarding my work to The Right People? It is really killing me to to have to stop at my office and home doors to unload and lock up the pistol. What can I do to help???

Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 AM

CalGuns Foundation really is working on SLO County.... I would say wait just a bit longer.....
Old 01-04-2011, 4:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
CalGuns Foundation really is working on SLO County.... I would say wait just a bit longer.....
Resistance and foot dragging. Why are they so afraid?
Old 01-04-2011, 5:54 PM

Who, exactly.. CGF?

They are working on the areas that affect the most amount of people first, I would say.

Parkinson just got sworn in yesterday - lets see where things are at in 60 days.
Old 01-04-2011, 7:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Who, exactly.. CGF?

They are working on the areas that affect the most amount of people first, I would say.

Parkinson just got sworn in yesterday - lets see where things are at in 60 days.
I mean SLO county of course. CGF are the best!
Old 01-12-2011, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Yesterday I called SLOSD and requested an application for CCW. I am willing to wait until the time is right to apply, but please keep me informed. Thanks
Old 01-16-2011, 4:14 PM

Will there be more information on possible non-resident permits? As I am a military man and my home of record is there...

Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM

I backed off of turning in my application and getting my classes started because of what I have been hearing.

Both on line and via word of mouth I have been hearing that it is even more difficult to get approved lately. Is it a case of old sheriff goin out and new sheriff coming in and neither has time to look at the applications or are we seeing more rejections?

I don't want to go on hearsay and from a freind of a freind info. so im lookin for actual info if anyone has some.

I don't mind being a test subject but I really done want to waste the money if it will be so long a time before it does any good.