Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-26-2010, 6:58 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.
Default Just bought a Glock G29sf

Ok, I didn't really buy one... but I'm considering it.

It seems like right after I buy something, someone says, "Oh, you didn't hear the brakes on the Toyotas fail? Why did you get that piece of garbage?"

So I figure if I post that I bought a G29sf, I can get all of the speculation and comments out of the way ahead of time.

I'm thinking of buying one as my CCW gun when (if?) San Diego goes Shall Issue. I have a Sig P220 (.45acp), and a Ruger P94 (9mm) at the moment. My first thought was to get a G30sf (.45acp) so I would not have to stock another gauge of ammo. But that magical 10mm is calling my wallet.

To get the usual first comment out of the way, yes, I understand ammo is expensive and not quite as readily available as other ammo and that it would be better if I reloaded ammo.

I have yet to shoot one, so first thing on my list is to find a range that rents them.

I was also thinking maybe a Kimber Ultra Carry II.

Size wise, they are similar:

Kimber: length- 6.8", width- 1.28", height- 4.75", weight- 25 oz (empty), 7rd capacity (.45acp)

G29sf: length- 6.7", width- 1.27", height- 4.45", weight 24 oz (empty), 10rd capacity (10mm).

Anything else I should be considering?

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché
Old 11-26-2010, 7:14 PM
Banned

Any full size gun in 10mm has a brutal recoil event, but it is especially brutal in a sub compact.

I have yet to shoot one, well a 10mm is going to make a .45acp seem like a .22LR.

Even if you have a CCW, this is not a good choice to start with.

I use a G20 for handgun hunting, but would never consider a 10mm sub compact.
Old 11-26-2010, 7:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It's a great gun, reliable, accurate, and for some reason 10mm recoil feels milder in Glocks, both 20 and 29. Never tried 29SF though.

If you hike, it can be your brush gun, too.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 11-26-2010, 7:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Any full size gun in 10mm has a brutal recoil event, but it is especially brutal in a sub compact.

I have yet to shoot one, well a 10mm is going to make a .45acp seem like a .22LR.

The recoil doesn't feel bad at all in my G29. I shot PMC FMJ, Georgia Arms reloads, and Doubletap 125gr and 155gr solid copper HPs. Also, while it's called a subcompact, it's bigger than, say, G26 or G27, and the slide is heavier.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 11-26-2010, 7:25 PM

PM Oceanbob.

Quote:
Any full size gun in 10mm has a brutal recoil event ...
Brutal?

Quote:
well a 10mm is going to make a .45acp seem like a .22LR.
Exaggerate much?

Last edited by 451040; 11-26-2010 at 7:28 PM..
Old 11-26-2010, 8:19 PM

You can't go wrong with a fun caliber in 10mm.
Old 11-26-2010, 8:22 PM

I have a g20 and the recoil is not that bad if you like shooting 45's-just a little more pop. I would love to grab a g29 in the dark earth or green but heard they were discontinued from glock only black now.
Old 11-26-2010, 8:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

10mm is just plain fun if shooting full power ammo. Your choices are limited to a hand full of suppliers and they are not cheap. The G29 is a great gun and is more of a compact size than a subcompact meaning you can get all of your fingers around the grip. If I did not reload their would be no point in owning it. Shooting 1000 rounds of full power ammo would wind up costing more than the orignal price of the gun.
Old 11-26-2010, 8:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Don't worry about the recoil

It's not much. Less felt recoil than a normal full-house .45 auto.

The advantage of the Glock 29 is it can also take 15 round G20 magazines,
In a small package. Also you can switch out barrels and shoot .40 caliber; .357 SIG and 9X25 for fun.

If I had to boogy out with ONE GUN it would be a 10MM Glock. With double-tap ammo it will punch thru a car door/windshield/wall....etc. Nothing touches the velocity and knockdown power of a proper 10MM bullet.

And the recoil is nothing to fret about. Sure Ammo is expensive; so practice with .40 then shoot Double-Tap.

I keep a full house Glock 20 as my Car-Trunk-locked-briefcase-weapon.

For traveling around town, the Glock 29 does the job.

Glock 20

Glock 29 with StormLake Barrel. DoubleTap hunting ammo. 1300 FPS

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 11-26-2010, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

I want a 20SF eventually, unless they come out with a M&P model

Here's a video of my buddy shooting his 29SF
http://thepackingrat.net/2010/10/28/10mm-muzzle-flash/
Old 11-26-2010, 8:53 PM

Quote:

My Delta Elite is very mild in the recoil department.
Old 11-26-2010, 8:54 PM

I just picked up a 29, and love it! Recoil is not a problem, and vastly exaggerated by many. If you have a correct grip, you will be fine. I'm a small guy, and can handle the gun easily, and enjoy shooting it.
Why do you need an armored car for an armored car service? Just start it in Alameda county. If you can have a gun show without guns surely the county attorney would understand an armored car company without an armored car.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Any full size gun in 10mm has a brutal recoil event
Quote:
a 10mm is going to make a .45acp seem like a .22LR.
Both of these comments are examples of pretty extreme exaggeration. Just sayin.'

*FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER IN SACRAMENTO*http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=393331 GUNS 4 SALE: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=923745 WILSON COMBAT MAGS------ http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=928518
Old 11-27-2010, 12:15 AM
CGSSA Associate

Iron Sights in Oceanside has a G20 to rent with 180gr Remington ammo. I can't speak for the G29 with higher octane ammo, but the 20 was very easy to shoot (as compared to .45).
Old 11-27-2010, 1:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
As others have already stated, I don't agree with this statement. You say you own a G20. I've tried out a G20C with some stiff handloads and I can say that the recoil was not all that bad at all. It was no worse than how I perceive .45ACP to be in a similarly sized handgun.

Turby
Old 11-27-2010, 6:16 AM
Banned

You say you own a G20.
Exaggerate much?
Both of these comments are examples of pretty extreme exaggeration.

Yes, I currently own 9 Glocks, but the recoil of the 10mm is far more severe than the 40S&W and certainly the 9mm (which I mostly shoot in competition, about 15,000 rounds a year).

Run 15,000 rounds of 10mm thru your gun and see how that feels.
Old 11-27-2010, 6:40 AM
Banned

Here are my Glocks: G24C, G17L, G20, G31, 3 x G17, G23 and a G19.

The G20, running 180 full house loads, has about the same power floor as a 41 magnum. Most ranges will not allow full house 10mm loads on poppers as it bends the heck out of them.

Old 11-27-2010, 7:41 AM
Calguns Addict

Question, Highlander51: Do you have the stock recoil spring/rod in your G20? If so, that may indeed be why you think the G20 recoil is brutal. Regardless, the stock spring is just too weak for stout 10mm rounds, which honestly surprises me as to why Glock would do this. Anyone with a G20 should put a 22 lb or more recoil spring in which tames the recoil a lot and still ejects brass quite far away.
Old 11-27-2010, 9:51 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You say you own a G20.
Exaggerate much?
Both of these comments are examples of pretty extreme exaggeration.

Yes, I currently own 9 Glocks, but the recoil of the 10mm is far more severe than the 40S&W and certainly the 9mm (which I mostly shoot in competition, about 15,000 rounds a year).

Aside from your semi-unintelligible post, we all know how much of a competitive shooter you are, you mention it in the majority of your posts & even made sure we remembered by putting that avatar up....OK, enough about "how many THOUSANDS of rounds you put downrange" every day (we DON'T care!).
Quote:
I HAVE. MANY TIMES, but chest-beating isn't in my nature. Bottom line is, if you really believe what you are saying about the 10MM's recoil being so "brutal" I think the answer is very simple: you are just recoil-sensitive. That's it. A certain percentage of shooters are! Nothing to be ashamed of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
As others have already stated, I don't agree with this statement. You say you own a G20. I've tried out a G20C with some stiff handloads and I can say that the recoil was not all that bad at all. It was no worse than how I perceive .45ACP to be in a similarly sized handgun.

Turby
Exactly. I shoot 'over-the-top' handloads (200-gr. XTP @ around ~1350 fps) out of my G-20 & Colt Delta pretty regularly (although most of my practice ammo is loaded down to conserve powder and HG life! 180gr TCP @ 1300fps.) and I find the "Big Ten" to be very enjoyable & controllable in any loading. Yes, the hotter loads took some practice to master, but I can shoot them all day long. The same cannot be said for full-house .44MAG. My 629 only sees about 100 rounds at each range trip. It gets to be a little..."painful".....and THAT is what is considered "Brutal Recoil" from a HG. Straight up!

*FACTORY-CERTIFIED ARMORER IN SACRAMENTO*http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=393331 GUNS 4 SALE: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=923745 WILSON COMBAT MAGS------ http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=928518

Last edited by supersonic; 11-29-2010 at 7:54 AM..
Old 11-27-2010, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
You would think that the more rounds you put through it, the more you would be accustomed to the recoil, making it more and more manageable.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NytWolf View Post
You would think that the more rounds you put through it, the more you would be accustomed to the recoil, making it more and more manageable.
You are actually very much right on the money! It's like anything you put time and practice into. If you are consistent & you are using a correct grip & stance, 15,000 rounds in a year would make someone who thinks he is getting "brutal" recoil (at first) very accustomed to it by then!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:04 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineski View Post
Question, Highlander51: Do you have the stock recoil spring/rod in your G20? If so, that may indeed be why you think the G20 recoil is brutal. Regardless, the stock spring is just too weak for stout 10mm rounds, which honestly surprises me as to why Glock would do this. Anyone with a G20 should put a 22 lb or more recoil spring in which tames the recoil a lot and still ejects brass quite far away.
Exactly.!..THIS^^^

That 22 pound spring makes a big difference. Good point Cineski..!!!

I bought several at the GLOCKSTORE.COM

(In fact, the GLOCKSTORE is at the Gun Show today in Costa Mesa....gonna take my grandson and youngest daughter. Spend money. haha )

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 11-27-2010, 2:47 PM
Banned

Question, Highlander51: Do you have the stock recoil spring/rod in your G20?

It's got the stock spring, 17lbs, same as a G17. 22lb spring makes sense. Does it tend to throw the gun forward after each round?
Old 11-27-2010, 6:17 PM

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've watched videos of people shooting the G20 and 29. Hicock45 did a one-handed recoil comparison of the G26, G27 & G29.

Old 11-27-2010, 9:00 PM

I have a G29 and even though it rarely gets used (until I can reload), I will never sell it! So much fun at the range and really draws a crowd. Not many people are familiar with the 10mm but they will never forget it after they shoot it. I don't recommend renting one only because you will be obligated to use the range ammo which will be crap in comparison to a "true" 10mm load (Doubletap, etc). With that said, I do not recommend it for a CCW. Some might disagree but I feel it has way too much power in an urban environment. Recoil is probably too much for this type of situation as well.
Old 11-28-2010, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan16 View Post
I have a G29 and even though it rarely gets used (until I can reload), I will never sell it! So much fun at the range and really draws a crowd. Not many people are familiar with the 10mm but they will never forget it after they shoot it. I don't recommend renting one only because you will be obligated to use the range ammo which will be crap in comparison to a "true" 10mm load (Doubletap, etc). With that said, I do not recommend it for a CCW. Some might disagree but I feel it has way too much power in an urban environment. Recoil is probably too much for this type of situation as well.
Why not? With the 10MM you truly have 2 calibers in one! If you load your own (like the majority of normal-to-high volume shooters these days do) you can have an EXACT duplicate of a 40S&W load (only much more accurate) for those that think the 10 is 'overpowered' in an urban environment (I tend to disagree with this one, as with HD HG's you can NEVER have 'too much gun'). Or, you can load up to some serious "through-the-windshield-out-the-trunk-of-a-car" 10MM power (I have a load that actually does this!). Out of all the handgun calibers I have put through the ringer (when I was on a quest to find MY 'ultimate companion'), the 10 is just it. The inherent accuracy in it is staggering, as is the power you have on tap.

Old 11-28-2010, 3:28 PM
Banned

supersonic

Aside from your semi-unintelligible post, we all know how much of a competitive shooter you are, you mention it in the majority of your posts & even made sure we remembered by putting that avatar up....OK, enough about "how many THOUSANDS of rounds you put downrange" every day (we DON'T care!). I could lay down similar lines as well, but bloated chest-beating isn't in my nature.!

That’s not a very nice thing to say. And by the way, the use of ‘we’ is incorrect, please post only on behalf of yourself. I don’t know what level of education you have achieved but my posts are an opinion based on observations and are clearly written.
As a devout Christian I find your avatar extremely offensive as it depicts a Satanic Demon. This, I can truly say, offends all Christians’ worldwide. Perhaps a picture of your yourself would be more conducive.
Old 11-28-2010, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
That’s not a very nice thing to say. And by the way, the use of ‘we’ is incorrect, please post only on behalf of yourself. I don’t know what level of education you have achieved but my posts are an opinion based on observations and are clearly written.
His use of 'we' was correct because everybody that posted in this thread is saying the same thing.

Quote:
As a devout Christian I find your avatar extremely offensive as it depicts a Satanic Demon. This, I can truly say, offends all Christians’ worldwide. Perhaps a picture of your yourself would be more conducive.
I think maybe you should take your own advice and speak for yourself. Stuff like this makes us all look bad.

Check me out on YouTube! Shooting, Engineering, and Dogs. What's not to love?

Last edited by Turo; 11-28-2010 at 3:40 PM..
Old 11-28-2010, 4:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic View Post
I tend to disagree with this one, as with HD HG's you can NEVER have 'too much gun'.
You absolutely can have 'too much gun' when your neighbors house is within close proximity to yours and you're worried about the consequences of overpenetration. If you're going to go by that logic then why not use .500 magnum for HD?
Old 11-28-2010, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echidin View Post
You absolutely can have 'too much gun' when your neighbors house is within close proximity to yours and you're worried about the consequences of overpenetration. If you're going to go by that logic then why not use .500 magnum for HD?
Well if I had a methed out Michael Moore kicking down my door a .500 Magnum sounds about right.
Old 11-28-2010, 5:15 PM

Overpenetration is a conscious concern of mine when considering any handgun- especially a 10mm- and may affect my purchase decision.

Old 11-28-2010, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
Overpenetration is a conscious concern of mine when considering any handgun- especially a 10mm- and may affect my purchase decision.
If you're talking about overpenetration in terms of going through walls if you miss, any defensive handgun caliber (9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 10mm, .357mag, .44mag) can penetrate 2-4 walls of an average house, and buckshot isn't too far behind. The deal is, if your round is too weak to penetrate the average house/apartment wall, it will not be enough to stop a person. Now, hollowpoint rounds generally reduce penetration, and you don't usually use fmj for defensive purposes, but any caliber worth using to defend yourself and your family will penetrate a couple walls at least.

My recommendation is to buy a gun that shoots the biggest/most powerful round that you can shoot accurately and quickly. For me, that caliber is .40, although I haven't shot a 10mm yet and my opinion may change when that happens.

Check me out on YouTube! Shooting, Engineering, and Dogs. What's not to love?
Old 11-28-2010, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
As supersonic said, you can "water down" a 10mm load if you reload. I personally do not reload yet so pretty much any load from Doubletap is going to be too much for CCW use (again, this is just my opinion). The G29 is a rather large and heavy gun in comparison to a G26/G27 when talking about a CCW. I have carried my G29 with factory loaded 175gr Silvertips but I still prefer carrying something else. I bought my G29 for CCW purposes but I soon found it was just too gun much for my needs (weight/size, power, recoil). Your findings may differ. Also, I am no where near as good with this gun as I am with my other guns.
Old 11-28-2010, 7:16 PM
Banned

BTW, it may be a coincidence, but over the past few days I was getting a bit tired of my 'avatar' and was contemplating changing it, just for the sake of change. I think I'll hold off on that now for a while.

God works in mysterious ways.

Truly a sad & pathetic attempt to make me look bad (or EEEEE-VIL) The band KISS......are a bunch of cannibals with a name that stands for "Knights In Satan's Service right?? Now who is showing their true intelligence?

More personal attacks, more unkind words on your part, I can only say that God forgives, how is it that you are so enraged? Because you are going against God's will, and that can only cause more trouble in your heart.

You will be known by every hair on your head. Repent, and show your true avatar.
Old 11-28-2010, 7:33 PM
Banned

and the way you went after GregDawg like a rabid dog???

Absolutely not! I offered in all sincerity to show that phenomenal 25, or 30 yard, G23 target to my friend David Sevigny of Team Glock. Anyone who can shoot like that would be instantly snapped up by Glock, or any other major manufacturer. Unless, of course, it wasn’t as represented. I never doubted his presentation, after all, happy are those who believe without seeing. After many, although somewhat chiding attempts, I was never answered in a kind manner, and so could only be left to think it was a kind of prank.
Old 11-28-2010, 8:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
supersonic As a devout Christian I find your avatar extremely offensive as it depicts a Satanic Demon. This, I can truly say, offends all Christians’ worldwide. Perhaps a picture of your yourself would be more conducive.

Last edited by supersonic; 11-28-2010 at 8:46 PM..
Old 11-28-2010, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo View Post
His use of 'we' was correct because everybody that posted in this thread is saying the same thing.
Exactly.

Quote:
I think maybe you should take your own advice and speak for yourself. Stuff like this makes us all look bad.
Couldn't have put it better myself. (if fact, I DIDN'T!)

Quote:
If you're talking about overpenetration in terms of going through walls if you miss, any defensive handgun caliber (9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 10mm, .357mag, .44mag) can penetrate 2-4 walls of an average house, and buckshot isn't too far behind. The deal is, if your round is too weak to penetrate the average house/apartment wall, it will not be enough to stop a person. Now, hollowpoint rounds generally reduce penetration, and you don't usually use fmj for defensive purposes, but any caliber worth using to defend yourself and your family will penetrate a couple walls at least.

My recommendation is to buy a gun that shoots the biggest/most powerful round that you can shoot accurately and quickly. For me, that caliber is .40, although I haven't shot a 10mm yet and my opinion may change when that happens.

Wow! Even MORE solid/sage advice from Turo! Bravo, common sense should be on everyone's "to do" list.

Last edited by supersonic; 11-28-2010 at 8:34 PM..
Old 11-28-2010, 8:55 PM

Quote:

Extremely childish and also
Old 11-28-2010, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

^^^Yet, you took up even MORE space just to RE-post it!!!! GENIUS!!!!

AND, you will WASTE even MORE space BELOW for (yet AGAIN!)........nothing!!!!

Last edited by supersonic; 11-29-2010 at 9:31 AM..
Old 11-28-2010, 9:29 PM

Quote:
^^^Yet, you took up the same space RE-posting it!!!!