Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-26-2010, 3:10 PM

Default Night Vision-PVS14 rifle mounted? Anyone ever think about getting one?

Hello all,
Since this is the rifle forum I will start off by asking about rifle mounted systems, but this question applies to any type of PVS14 setup. Anyone think about getting one? If you have, do you think they are worth the money?

Thanks
Old 11-26-2010, 3:25 PM

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think this falls under Penal Code 468: Sniperscopes...

Sniperscopes (emphasis mine)

A sniperscope is defined as a device made or adapted for use on a firearm that enables the operator to detect objects during nighttime through the use of a projected infrared light source and an electronic telescope. (Penal Code 468.)

Any person who buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or possesses a sniperscope is guilty of a misdemeanor. This prohibition does not apply to authorized use or possession of sniperscopes by members of the armed forces or peace officers, and does not prohibit use or possession solely for scientific research or educational purposes. (Penal Code 468.)

Last edited by digitalelf; 11-26-2010 at 3:30 PM..
Old 11-26-2010, 3:27 PM
Calguns Addict

they're what, $3,000?

Unless you play alot at night, or just have wads of cash there is a lot of stuff (ammo & training) you can buy with that money.

I'm not saying it wouldnt be cool to have....
Old 11-26-2010, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Theyre expensive. If youve got the loot to blow, go for it.
Old 11-26-2010, 3:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalelf View Post
I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think this falls under Penal Code 468: Sniperscopes...

Sniperscopes

A sniperscope is defined as a device made or adapted for use on a firearm that enables the operator to detect objects during nighttime through the use of a projected infrared light source and an electronic telescope. (Penal Code 468.)

Any person who buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or possesses a sniperscope is guilty of a misdemeanor. This prohibition does not apply to authorized use or possession of sniperscopes by members of the armed forces or peace officers, and does not prohibit use or possession solely for scientific research or educational purposes. (Penal Code 468.)
The PVS-14 is not a "telescope".
Old 11-26-2010, 3:33 PM
Veteran Member

Head mounted PVS-14 with laser and IR illuminator is the way to go, if you can swing it. That's the standard by which our warfighters do battle. However, you will see picatinny mounts for PVS-14s which on the surface seem cool until you try to actually do something with it. On an AR or battle rifle, it's just too awkward and in a run and gun fight you'd be constantly going from "I can't see squat" to "I'm looking through a friggin' scope". So then you think it makes sense to mount on a precision rifle until you look at how scopes are mounted on them and realize there's no real estate to place the NOD between your eye and scope without moving the scope WAY forward. FWIW, this is the reason the 22, 26 and 27 forward mounted UNS style NODs are popular on precision rifles.

So with that in mind, it seems kind of pointless to do it, if you ask me. There are significant advantages when wearing a 14 over one eye and using a laser and illuminator on a rifle - that's how it's supposed to be done.
Old 11-26-2010, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Head mounted PVS-14 with laser and IR illuminator is the way to go, if you can swing it. That's the standard by which our warfighters do battle. However, you will see picatinny mounts for PVS-14s which on the surface seem cool until you try to actually do something with it. On an AR or battle rifle, it's just too awkward and in a run and gun fight you'd be constantly going from "I can't see squat" to "I'm looking through a friggin' scope". So then you think it makes sense to mount on a precision rifle until you look at how scopes are mounted on them and realize there's no real estate to place the NOD between your eye and scope without moving the scope WAY forward. FWIW, this is the reason the 22, 26 and 27 forward mounted UNS style NODs are popular on precision rifles.

So with that in mind, it seems kind of pointless to do it, if you ask me. There are significant advantages when wearing a 14 over one eye and using a laser and illuminator on a rifle - that's how it's supposed to be done.
Werd.

Whats the new deeleo.. the PVS 22 or whatever, that mounts forward of the day scope.. thats the ticket right there.
Old 11-26-2010, 3:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalelf View Post
through the use of a projected infrared light source and an electronic telescope
That describes Gen 0 night vision invented during WWII. PVS-14 is Gen 3. Does not emit or project any light toward the target. Intensifies existing low levels of light only.

$3000? We have 'em on Black Friday sale for $2499. Will most likely extend that price through the weekend.

-Mark
As of March 3 2016, Exile Machine has discontinued vendor/retailer status with Calguns.net and we are no longer providing support or product updates via this site. All queries should be directed through our website at this link:

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/contact-us.html
Old 11-26-2010, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile Machine View Post
That describes Gen 0 night vision invented during WWII. PVS-14 is Gen 3. Does not emit or project any light toward the target. Intensifies existing low levels of light only.

$3000? We have 'em on Black Friday sale for $2499. Will most likely extend that price through the weekend.

-Mark
The PVS-14 does have an IR light emitter though.
Old 11-26-2010, 3:51 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
the safe bet is to have that onboard IR illuminator removed or disabled. That way it can't fall under the sniperscope definition.

I'd be leary of trying to claim it is not a telescope unless you are absolutely sure that it is 1.000000x, and not something like 1.1x where they could argue that it is a magnifying telescope.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-26-2010, 3:58 PM

To me, it sounds like one of those areas where the letter of the law is on your side, but the potential cost in court/lawyer fees is not a battle I'd want...

Besides, aside from the "tacticool" factor, I personally have zero need for a NV device to be mounted directly onto any of my rifles...

So (again for me) it's all moot anyway...

Thanks for the clarifications however
Old 11-26-2010, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavTrooper View Post
That's an IR LED used for very nearby tasks. But I could see how that would fall under the cited PC. Those detected objects would be very close... The manufacturer can disable or omit that LED for a CA-compliant PVS-14.
As of March 3 2016, Exile Machine has discontinued vendor/retailer status with Calguns.net and we are no longer providing support or product updates via this site. All queries should be directed through our website at this link:

Last edited by Exile Machine; 11-27-2010 at 4:18 AM..
Old 11-26-2010, 4:32 PM

I only mentioned weapon/rifle mounted to get this thread in this forum. I would go helmet/ head mounted to get the best use.

Where exactly can one pick up a PVS14 for $2400?
Old 11-26-2010, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insin View Post
Where exactly can one pick up a PVS14 for $2400?
Entire kit for $2499 right here: https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/in...roducts_id=306

ETA: Update: The factory can omit that IR Illuminator completely, no problem. So this would be good to go rifle-mounted. Just check the checkbox at the bottom of the product page when you order.

Magnification of this product is 1X. So it's not a telescope. With the IR source permanently disabled, there's no way it could be construed to fall under PC 468.

Last edited by Exile Machine; 11-26-2010 at 5:11 PM..
Old 11-26-2010, 9:34 PM

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=322481

pvs-14 buyer guide, also look at the tnvc tm-14 twist mount