Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 11-08-2017, 3:39 PM

Default What Constitutes a "Stripped" Lower?

Apologies in advance , but I performed a search on the Internet as well as on this Forum but I did not get any hits!

My intention is to purchase a complete LWRC AR15 lower only from Gunbroker (...so not a complete rifle) and request that the seller to remove the fire control group and internals, the buffer tube and internals, the buttstock, and magazine catch and ship those parts directly to me.

However, I was wondering if the harder to remove and easy to damage/scratch items, like the front and rear take down pins and bolt release can stay on the lower and make it still considered a "stripped" lower for eventual transfer to me from my selected FFL?!

So 3 items are left on installed when shipped to my FFL of choice, (1) Front and (2) Rear take down pins and (3) Bolt catch.

So is that still a No-No ?!

Thanks in advance...
Old 11-08-2017, 3:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Why did you have them remove all the parts? It could have been sent in just like that. A receiver is not semi-automatic nor centerfire so AW laws wouldn't apply.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan for our deal of the day!

UNTIL YEARS END, OR WE RUN OUT! Spikes Tactical ST15 Receivers $65 each! Zombie, Punisher, and Spider logos!
Old 11-08-2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acespawnshop View Post
Why did you have them remove all the parts? It could have been sent in just like that. A receiver is not semi-automatic nor centerfire so AW laws wouldn't apply.
Oh, Ok... for some reason I thought a complete lower receiver still needed to be in a stripped form to be able for me to receive from a out of state seller since it was the registered part?

Well that makes it easier Thanks for the clarification...!

Last edited by supernachos; 11-08-2017 at 4:03 PM..
Old 11-08-2017, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict

The lower is the firearm, so it has to go through a dealer, but whether it is stripped or has parts, it is still a receiver. There are some FFLs who have issues with it for some strange reason (no legal reason), so you should check with your FFL to make sure that there are issues.

As said, no upper, no barrel, means that it is not semi-auto, not center-fire and the so-called a-salt weapons laws don't apply.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-08-2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemasa View Post
The lower is the firearm, so it has to go through a dealer, but whether it is stripped or has parts, it is still a receiver. There are some FFLs who have issues with it for some strange reason (no legal reason), so you should check with your FFL to make sure that there are issues.

As said, no upper, no barrel, means that it is not semi-auto, not center-fire and the so-called a-salt weapons laws don't apply.
Thank You... I will do that!

I recall the guy from (now defunct) TA armory in Santa Ana, CA, mentioning it to me back in 2011 that if the complete lower didn't have a bullet -button (now illegal I know), strip it down! So hence my confusion...

Also, for a PPT in 2014 of a complete lower to a fellow Calgunner at Turners, Chino Hills, they required a bullet button installed and a 10 round mag installed. Law may be different for PPT, I don't know.. but I just complied just to get the PPT done ...

This all leads up to my confusion on what is legal when purchasing and acquiring complete lowers !
Old 11-08-2017, 4:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You're in Chino Nachos so come by here and pick some up I've got plenty.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan for our deal of the day!

UNTIL YEARS END, OR WE RUN OUT! Spikes Tactical ST15 Receivers $65 each! Zombie, Punisher, and Spider logos!
Old 11-08-2017, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acespawnshop View Post
You're in Chino Nachos so come by here and pick some up I've got plenty.

Yup, I might just have to do that since Baboosh left, as he was my go-to-place for my out of state purchases!

I will definitely keep you in mind for my next out of state purchase and maybe check out the stuff on your shelves as well !
Old 11-08-2017, 5:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernachos View Post
I recall the guy from (now defunct) TA armory in Santa Ana, CA, mentioning it to me back in 2011 that if the complete lower didn't have a bullet -button (now illegal I know), strip it down! So hence my confusion...

Also, for a PPT in 2014 of a complete lower to a fellow Calgunner at Turners, Chino Hills, they required a bullet button installed and a 10 round mag installed. Law may be different for PPT, I don't know.. but I just complied just to get the PPT done ...

This all leads up to my confusion on what is legal when purchasing and acquiring complete lowers !
A complete (or stripped) lower never needed a bullet button except by stupid dealers. No difference between a normal transfer or a PPT. You could make it into a rimfire, which then it would not need a bullet button, or a pump or bolt action.

You can still have a bullet button, but it would have to be on a featureless firearm since it no longer protects it from being a so-called a-salt weapon. It is not illegal, just does not help anymore, and is still required for firearms which had it and are wanted to be registered as a so-called a-salt weapon.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 11-10-2017, 7:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernachos View Post
Thank You... I will do that!

The new AW regs are significantly different than the previous case law in regards to what's an AW. It used to be that a disassembled AW was an AW, now it isn't. That means you can buy a complete free state configuration lower, or even a complete free state configuration rifle with the firing pin removed (although I doubt you'll find an FFL willing to do the complete rifle).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?