Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-24-2010, 6:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default AB962 QUESTION FOR LEGAL EXPERTS

Am I reading this right. AB962 applies to "handgun ammunition vendors".
The law defines these "vendors" as,

12060 (c) "Handgun ammunition vendor" or "vendor" means any person, firm, corporation, dealer, or any other business enterprise that is engaged in the retail sale of any handgun ammunition, or that holds itself out as engaged in the business of selling any handgun ammunition.

Private parties that occasionally sell ammo on various forums are not retailers or in the business of selling ammo, so they shouldn't fall under this law, is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfern View Post
Watch come Wednesday. It's going to be a landslide. Forget the polls, look at the census data, trump screwed up. Tell you what though if trump had made peace with woman and hispancis he could have pulled this off. But he kept at em. Just couldn't shut up.
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 11-24-2010, 6:11 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICKSTER View Post
Private parties that occasionally sell ammo on various forums are not retailers or in the business of selling ammo, so they shouldn't fall under this law, is that correct?
Yes.

HOWEVER,
Quote:
12318. (a) Commencing February 1, 2011, the delivery or transfer of ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face transaction with the deliverer or transferor being provided bona fide evidence of identity from the purchaser or other transferee.
applies to everyone transferring.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 11-24-2010 at 6:15 PM..
Old 11-24-2010, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

Do you have to document who bought it, or just verify that the person is who they say they are?

Theoretically, I can go out of state, fill a Suburban with handgun ammunition, cross back into CA, and then sell it to anyone that wants to buy it as long as they show ID (of age, etc.)?

"You will never know how little my generation has traded away our freedoms and rights for. I'm sorry and ashamed for what we've left to the following generations."
voiceofreason
Old 11-24-2010, 8:08 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
Do you have to document who bought it, or just verify that the person is who they say they are?
Code says you have to see "evidence of identity from the purchaser". If not a vendor, the record-keeping requirements do not apply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreason View Post
Theoretically, I can go out of state, fill a Suburban with handgun ammunition, cross back into CA, and then sell it to anyone that wants to buy it as long as they show ID (of age, etc.)?
Going out to buy it is fine. Reselling arguably puts you into vendor territory.

Unless there is some way to amend a bill so you would support it,
the details do not matter until the Governor signs or allows the bill to become law.

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum
- most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.