Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Default Fresno area gun stores

Since i haven't been shooting for awhile i haven't been keeping up with the gun shops in Fresno. I'm getting ready to build an AR-15 and i'm looking for someone in town that can order an OLL for me. Besides Gilman-Mayfield, McCormics, or Fresno Firearms, what good gun stores are around Fresno?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 AM

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/f...play.php?f=172

done deal. especially since they are a vendor as well. we just had a group buy in through them recently too.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:04 PM

PRK Arms, A&A Firearms, Breco, and The Range, are the only shops that carry AR lowers in Fresno. I highly recommend PRK Arms. They have some stuff that none of the other stores have. Check em out..
Old 11-17-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_1 View Post
PRK Arms, A&A Firearms, Breco, and The Range, are the only shops that carry AR lowers in Fresno. I highly recommend PRK Arms. They have some stuff that none of the other stores have. Check em out..
All good info. Tino at American Firearms in Clovis did us right on some calguns lowers recently. One of the guys bought an upper to go with and he was given a great price on it.
“Obama is the weakest of U.S. presidents, he had humiliating defeats in the region. Under him the Islamic awakening happened.” “Americans witnessed their greatest defeats in Obama’s era: Terrorism expanded, [the] U.S. had huge defeats under Obama [and] that is why they want to compromise with Iran.”

Ali Younesi, senior advisor to the Iranian President.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 PM

The only problem with PRK Arms is that once you walk in you will want to buy an AK, MPA, FAL, Saiga-12 and lcp as well.

PRK and Breco are two of my favorite shops. They typically keep a few different brands of OLLs on stock. Both shops are very knowledgable on AR stuff.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Ammodogs carry AR. Mostly tacitcool stuff. Great guys to talk to and just hang lutz very relaxed shop.
Old 11-17-2010, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

ammodogs, by the pistol range and costco next to the 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mif_slim View Post
Ammodogs carry AR. Mostly tacitcool stuff. Great guys to talk to and just hang lutz very relaxed shop.
agreed, great guys, very friendly and helpfull, unlike prk who has a stick up there ***, some of the people that work there anyways

Zombie Stickers For Sale

ClassifiedWeapons.com

Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
-------
Home Builds- 1919a4, Sten Mk3, Romy G Ak-47, PSL Pistol,Romanian RPK

Last edited by straykiller; 11-17-2010 at 1:41 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 1:37 PM

Quote:
ammodogs, by the pistol range and costco next to the 99
Thanks

You should banish any thoughts of how you may appear to others.
Marcus Aurelius

"I won't be wronged, I wont be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
the "Duke" in the shootist
Old 11-17-2010, 1:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Brigada View Post
Thanks
no prob

Zombie Stickers For Sale

ClassifiedWeapons.com

Looking for a particular parts kit? Check out our parts kit locator that is automatically updated every 6 hours. Now you can see parts kits being offered by multiple websites in one location. Just select the parts kit button on the right of the home page to begin looking.
-------
Old 11-17-2010, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsnubby View Post
Since i haven't been shooting for awhile i haven't been keeping up with the gun shops in Fresno. I'm getting ready to build an AR-15 and i'm looking for someone in town that can order an OLL for me. Besides Gilman-Mayfield, McCormics, or Fresno Firearms, what good gun stores are around Fresno?

If you want a good gun shop, skip Gilman Mayfield entirely. I've never found so much FUD - or worse pricing - than there. They tried selling me an M&P 15-22 for $589. Also, they tried telling me - in july of this year - that I was flat-out going to get arrested for using a bullet button, because no matter what brand of lower I had, it was still an assault weapon. (Also, did you know that apparently there was a guy on trial RIGHT THEN IN JULY 2010 IN FRESNO for using a BB? Neither did I. They seemed to know it, though.) Only OLL they had there last I saw was a total single-shot one. Had no mag well at all, just a Delrin sled. The forging didn't even have a place for a magazine to be.

The Range has a lot of OLL stuff. They usually have plenty of stuff in stock. I'd go there, myself.
Old 11-17-2010, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straykiller View Post
unlike prk who has a stick up there ***, some of the people that work there anyways
Really??? I have been in there several times, once with the DOJ busting their balls and they were nothing but helpful. The best part was them telling me ways to get around all the DOJ bs, right in front of the lady. She got all mad and said, "well, where is the book." they said it was electronic and they were not willing to print out the zillions of pages because it would takes hours. She was not happy, but we were all laughing on the inside. They showed me vids of the sweet guns going bang and were cool as heck to "enlighten" me and show me the shop and all else. Plus they gave me a heck of a deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier415 View Post
My staff is now at 10 beers, and has a tactical red lgt ont it, and is being ttached to me by a single point sling

i AM THE WISEST MOST TACTICAL WIZARD
Old 11-17-2010, 8:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmzhwells View Post
Really??? I have been in there several times, once with the DOJ busting their balls and they were nothing but helpful. The best part was them telling me ways to get around all the DOJ bs, right in front of the lady. She got all mad and said, "well, where is the book." they said it was electronic and they were not willing to print out the zillions of pages because it would takes hours. She was not happy, but we were all laughing on the inside. They showed me vids of the sweet guns going bang and were cool as heck to "enlighten" me and show me the shop and all else. Plus they gave me a heck of a deal.
Agreed, they are very cool people, I usually get what I need and end up staying an extra 30 minutes just listening to the banter and shop talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by straykiller View Post
agreed, great guys, very friendly and helpfull, unlike prk who has a stick up there ***, some of the people that work there anyways
Maybe you caught them on a bad day or something, I wasn't there for your experience so who am I to say it wasn't good or bad. But the multiple times I've been there is was positive.

To answer the OP, I've bought firearms from Breco and PRK and would do so again in the future they are both easy to deal with and when it comes to getting you want you want legally they cut through the BS. For my next one I think I'm going to go through A&A, I've heard nothing but good things about them and if my processes turns out to be a good one i'll start recommending them as well. But for now I know for a fact Breco and PRK and good to go.
Old 11-17-2010, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
If you want a good gun shop, skip Gilman Mayfield entirely. I've never found so much FUD - or worse pricing - than there. They tried selling me an M&P 15-22 for $589. Also, they tried telling me - in july of this year - that I was flat-out going to get arrested for using a bullet button, because no matter what brand of lower I had, it was still an assault weapon. (Also, did you know that apparently there was a guy on trial RIGHT THEN IN JULY 2010 IN FRESNO for using a BB? Neither did I. They seemed to know it, though.) Only OLL they had there last I saw was a total single-shot one. Had no mag well at all, just a Delrin sled. The forging didn't even have a place for a magazine to be.

The Range has a lot of OLL stuff. They usually have plenty of stuff in stock. I'd go there, myself.
I wasn't gonna go there but I have to agree with this post 100%. It's the only shop in Fresno that I really dislike. I've sworn off even walking in there a number of times, but it's kinda like a train wreck, sometimes you gotta look. When I got back from Iraq in June of '09 I went in there, just to see what was up. Prices were up, that's what. $49.99 for a 50 round box of cheap no-name .45 ACP ball ammo, gouging like no one else had the gall to do during the shortage. I had just got "lucky" and found a few boxes of Blazer brass at Walmart - for $15.99.

The do stock small parts though, 1911 grip screws and a Ruger 10/22 firing pin are some of the things I've walked in and picked up. Going in there always seems to leave a bad taste in my mouth though.
“Obama is the weakest of U.S. presidents, he had humiliating defeats in the region. Under him the Islamic awakening happened.” “Americans witnessed their greatest defeats in Obama’s era: Terrorism expanded, [the] U.S. had huge defeats under Obama [and] that is why they want to compromise with Iran.”

Ali Younesi, senior advisor to the Iranian President.
Old 11-17-2010, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post

I actually bought my lower from Gilman-Mayfield (officially just William T. Mayfield now). I paid too much for it, but didn't encounter any of the FUD you mentioned. They must have gotten educated in the following three months. It was an Ardel Engineering forged lower that matched up nicely with my BCM upper. Pricey for an off brand, but it was an impulse buy.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

skip McCormics also, the place has gone down hill since the original owner is out of the picture now, also full of FUD, went in there quite some time ago and saw a 10 round ak mag for sale and tried to buy for my newly bought saiga and they started arguing with me that i bought an illegal rifle and that the ak style action was banned completely, after awhile of bickering back they wouldn't stop arguing so i eventually just left never to return to McCormics, the place where there heads are so far up the *** they drive customers away

Zombie Stickers For Sale

ClassifiedWeapons.com

-------
Old 11-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Calguns Addict

The range pistol club in Fresno sucks. The worse gun prices I've seen. Payed $150 dollars over what everyone else had it priced. Never again .

I'll have to try ammodogs some time

Last edited by Colt-45; 03-02-2011 at 5:16 PM..
Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 PM

McCormics used to be a great shop. I bought several guns there and saved hundreds off of Herb Bauer prices. Too bad the douch crew took over with their fud filled crapola. There isn't anything in there to buy anymore anyway. I heard even Herb Bauer might jump into the black rifle game. I talked to an employee, who's name I won't mention, who knows they are missing the boat.

I want to support small shops in Fresno/Clovis but it seems to be harder than it should be to develop a real relationship with a shop that 1. doesn't want to charge full retail + on every purchase. 2. Has a knowledgeable staff that are actually helpful and not condescending. and 3. Has plenty of stock on hand or can get you what you want relatively quickly.

This is not a dig on any one shop...In Fresno/Clovis, you are lucky you might get two out of the three points I mentioned depending on the mood of the staff that day. Herb Bauer kills it (they do a ton of business even though they are priced high) because most of the time you get two out of the three unless your shopping for a OLL. I am warming up to Breko. PRK are cool guys who know their ****. I have spent money at all of them. I need an investor. JK LOL. I am sure it's a difficult business.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member

A+A has just about everyone around here beat in price, especially on AR lowers last time I checked. Hes also got a wide range of suppliers and the shop has a great atmosphere. All in all good gun store, my favorite in town anyway.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 PM

Also check with Spencer's Firearms out in Madera Ranchos. It's about a 10-min drive, but he's a registered user here on Calguns.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:36 AM

I posted this before i went to work (good ole swing shift) and i didn't expect this many replies.

Years back Gilman-Mayfield used to be a good store. I'm not sure why they went to crap. I did a ton of business with McCormic's when John owned it. It definitely went down the tubes when John retired and moved to Arkansas. I don't know if the same guy still owns Fresno Firearms or not, but from prior experience i wouldn't go into his store if he was the only gun store in the entire valley. Bauer's is okay if you just want to window shop but their prices are pretty high. The Range is even worse on their prices.

I'll have to check out the other stores.
Old 11-18-2010, 1:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNH5-7 View Post
The range pistol club in Fresno sucks. The worse gun prices I've seen. Payed $150 dollars over what everyone else had it priced. Never again .

I liked going to A&A. Very professional, I feel very comfortable going there.

I'll have to try ammodogs some time
its right next to the range and the CHP office i think that streets jaqulin or something with a j lol. give em a call for directions(559) 275-6333. seriously great guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by sker13 View Post
McCormics used to be a great shop. I bought several guns there and saved hundreds off of Herb Bauer prices. Too bad the douch crew took over with their fud filled crapola. There isn't anything in there to buy anymore anyway. I heard even Herb Bauer might jump into the black rifle game. I talked to an employee, who's name I won't mention, who knows they are missing the boat.

I want to support small shops in Fresno/Clovis but it seems to be harder than it should be to develop a real relationship with a shop that 1. doesn't want to charge full retail + on every purchase. 2. Has a knowledgeable staff that are actually helpful and not condescending. and 3. Has plenty of stock on hand or can get you what you want relatively quickly.

This is not a dig on any one shop...In Fresno/Clovis, you are lucky you might get two out of the three points I mentioned depending on the mood of the staff that day. Herb Bauer kills it (they do a ton of business even though they are priced high) because most of the time you get two out of the three unless your shopping for a OLL. I am warming up to Breko. PRK are cool guys who know their ****. I have spent money at all of them. I need an investor. JK LOL. I am sure it's a difficult business.
i agree there used to be guns lined against the walls all the racks were filled, jhon was a great guy i bought my sks from there along time ago. well technically my dad bought himself a sks with my money(i was too young lol). but now the store is empty and filled with employes that dont know what the hell there talking about.

Zombie Stickers For Sale

ClassifiedWeapons.com

-------
Old 11-18-2010, 7:33 AM
Calguns Addict

A&A is okay. They just gotta work on their customer service. Last two time I was in there they didn't even get up their seats to help me. Crossed their hands and pointed meti another guy for my question, got the same response from the other guy not paying attention to me playing games online.... So I left.
Old 11-18-2010, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsnubby View Post
Bauer's is okay if you just want to window shop but their prices are pretty high.
Show them your NRA card and you'll get 10% off. On anything. I get primers there for a pretty good price after discount.

George Washington didn't use the 1st amendment to defeat the British...he shot them.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
A&A is okay. They just gotta work on their customer service. Last two time I was in there they didn't even get up their seats to help me. Crossed their hands and pointed meti another guy for my question, got the same response from the other guy not paying attention to me playing games online.... So I left.
Wow...Really?! I havent been in there in a while but its hard to believe that the customer service has fallen off so badly. Was Julian in when you were there?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Are you sure you were at A&A?? I went in there a few times before discussing my activity with Calguns with him and was treated well, Julian told me he'd be with me in a minute when he was done helping the current customer...when it was my turn, I got his full attention. My experience there was good service and awesome prices.

I seriously doubt you'll find lower prices than A&A or Breco.
PRK doesn't have a whole lot of AR stuff lately because they've been doing so much kicking *** with the AK, FAL, Saiga and MPA platforms.

Ammodogs and American have some great reviews by members on here, I've never been, though. I also forgot that Spencers it out in the Ranchos, never been there, either.

The Range isn't really the place to just go buy one firearm. If you're interested in buying a membership and plan to make a few purchases and use the range, they treat their loyal customers very well and are the only indoor range in the area. A lot of perks come with their range membership (store discounts, free handgun rental et cetera) that makes it worthwhile.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 AM

Here's my take on the Fresno gun shops:

A&A Firearms - Julian (shop owner), with his family and friends, run this fairly new shop. The rest of the staff is helpful but sometimes its easier and faster to talk to Julian (you need a worker bro? haha). Selection is small, and theres a few things to look at, but he can order just about anything for you. Julian is cool and is willing to work with ya on pricing. AK and AR friendly, I highly recommend him.

AmmoDogs - I havent been there yet, but according to some people here, they seem to be OK. I gotta check em out when I get the chance.

Breco - Selection is not the greatest but they have a variety of things, and prices are not bad. AR and AK friendly. The younger guy is super cool; we talk a lot when Im there. I recommend this shop as well.

Fresno Firearms - The original owner passed away, and I think his wife, and a friend of theirs is running the shop now. Havent been in there for a while, so I dont know if anything is different at the store. Saw them at the gun show and they brought some handguns and whatnot, but I dont know much else..

Herb Bauer - Best place to go window shopping They got the biggest selection and all kinds of stuff to look at. Prices are MSRP though. And customer service is not the greatest. Scratch that, I can almost say, that they have the worst CS out of all the gun shops in Fresno (from my experiences; plural). I know theyre a big company, and they dont need me, because they make money off of everybody else, but sometimes they need to get off of their high horses.. Not very AK or AR friendly.

Mayfield - An OK selection of handguns (and rifles), prices are in the middle, and customer service is eh. I know oldies are goodies, and they are moving forward, but if you want OLL stuff, go elsewhere. The FUD is strong with them.

McCormicks - They use to be the spot, but then OLL and what not came into the picture, and they were against it from day 1. Last time I been in there, selection was small, but John and the younger dude was always willing to help. However, John left so I dont know who's running the shop now or what they got stocked..

PRK Arms - Theyre my favorite because they have the coolest stuff (AK, AR, FAL, MAC, single shots, etc etc) that no one else has. They dont have the biggest selection of standard rifles, nor standard pistols, but they can get it. Prices are not too bad either. They also carry some ammo, mag rebuild kits, accessories, and small parts. Staff (both Jeff's) is very knowledgeable and overall, a pretty cool shop.

The Range - I have a membership at the range so I see them quite often. They're more cool with me now but they werent the friendliest at first. Theyre always busy and seem to be doing well, even with their prices, but they have a big selection of handguns, some AR stuff, and other accessories. Check em out..

Either way, check em all out, but make sure to go to A&A, Breco & PRK Arms; those are the shops I frequent.

Last edited by C_1; 11-19-2010 at 1:08 AM..
Old 11-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey View Post
Are you sure you were at A&A?? I went in there a few times before discussing my activity with Calguns with him and was treated well, Julian told me he'd be with me in a minute when he was done helping the current customer...when it was my turn, I got his full attention. My experience there was good service and awesome prices.

I seriously doubt you'll find lower prices than A&A or Breco.
PRK doesn't have a whole lot of AR stuff lately because they've been doing so much kicking *** with the AK, FAL, Saiga and MPA platforms.

Ammodogs and American have some great reviews by members on here, I've never been, though. I also forgot that Spencers it out in the Ranchos, never been there, either.

The Range isn't really the place to just go buy one firearm. If you're interested in buying a membership and plan to make a few purchases and use the range, they treat their loyal customers very well and are the only indoor range in the area. A lot of perks come with their range membership (store discounts, free handgun rental et cetera) that makes it worthwhile.
You know what.. I might of gotten if confused for C & C Firearms!! or are they the same?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You know what.. I might of gotten if confused for C & C Firearms!! or are they the same?
Yes, you definitely got them mixed up. A&A is on Palm & Shaw. I forgot all about C&C Fireams. They still around?
Old 11-18-2010, 1:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_1 View Post
Yes, you definitely got them mixed up. A&A is on Palm & Shaw. I forgot all about C&C Fireams. They still around?
Yup. rude as ever too.

I just checked yellow pages and couldnt find A&A, now im intrested in checking them out. I guess I never been to their shop before. At least to my memory I havent seen a gun store on Palm and Shaw. Address?? Imma go after work! lol
Old 11-18-2010, 1:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yup. rude as ever too.

I just checked yellow pages and couldnt find A&A, now im intrested in checking them out. I guess I never been to their shop before. At least to my memory I havent seen a gun store on Palm and Shaw. Address?? Imma go after work! lol
It's a fairly new shop (search for 'em on here, a few threads about them). He's a mildly involved member on here, not in the yellowpages yet and I'm working with him to get his business listing on Google Maps so we can add him to the Calguns OLL Google Map.

NE corner of Maroa & Shaw, behind the gas station. There are a few signs near the sidewalk and sometimes his son stands out on the corner holding a big sign. They're more like the opposite of C & C Firearms(if they're even open anymore...)
Old 11-18-2010, 2:00 PM
Calguns Addict

^ okay, thats much better! lol. I was frecken out that people were saying that shop at Clovis was a good shop. LOL. I was gonna give em a hater card for targeting me only!

Imma have to check them out. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2010, 3:33 PM

Quote:
There are two shops in the same area here. C&C and American Firearms. C&C is run by Tony and it used to be in the larger building with the airsoft shop named American Tactical. Then C&C move 50 feet north to the other building. So a guy named Tino (projectx) opened up American firearms in the building with the airsoft shop American Tactical.
Old 11-18-2010, 4:03 PM

I like A&A and Julian says he will beet any price in town, never called him on it though, since the last firearm I bought in Fresno was from him and he was the lowest in town, a S&W 642 for $425 great deal plus I'll get the $50 rebate, normal price is about $480, let him no what price your seeing and he'll beat it.

McCormicks LOL, I will never step foot in there again, went looking for a CCW gun for my daughter, and since I wasn't interested in the Beretta .32 he had he just pretty much walked away from me and starting doing other stuff, literally, I said?? that's it? are you done with me? he said well it seems you've made up your mind on what you want, because I was asking him about a PM9 or something, I said hey I'm asking your opinion and wanting some advise from you, but if your not willing to help me and possibly order the gun I want, I'll take my money elsewhere.

Breco, great guys in there, OLL friendly, but still a bit pricy for me.

I buy most of my firearms in Madera at Pete's Sport Shop, or in Turlok at Bilsons, my favorites and best prices. they don't deal in OLL's though.

For OLL stuff, I'm going to A&A or Breco

Mayfields, long time fixtures in Fresno , nice guys, they seem to go back and fourth on OLL's two weeks ago they told me they now have a guy who will be building OLL rifles for them to sell. a year ago they told me they were totally illegal, I think they do a payment plan though?

Herb Bauers, like every one else, I go there to look at the handguns to see what I want to buy, then go buy it at a place that has normal prices.

Range, ok guys, expensive!!

Last edited by brianm767; 11-18-2010 at 4:12 PM..