Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-11-2010, 8:27 PM

Default Vortex Strikefire vs Sparc

anyone have some experience with either? Pros and cons please.
Old 11-11-2010, 8:46 PM

Vortex is great, reasonable price, and keeps zero pretty good, plus the 2x mag. Is pertty cool.
Old 11-11-2010, 8:49 PM

thanks man. do you have any pics of it mounted? youre talking about the sparc right?
Old 11-11-2010, 9:01 PM

Strikefire
Old 11-11-2010, 9:21 PM
Calguns Addict

What does "keeps zero pretty good" mean, exactly?

It either keeps a zero or it doesn't, lol.

I had one on my MP-22 (strikefire). It was OK, the dot wasn't as bright as my aimpoints, but I also had the red/green one. The on/off switch is in a horrible location IMO. The glass had a dark purplish tint too. Good idea, mediocre execution. The 2x double is a good idea, just doesn't work very well. Very small FOV. Is it worth the $130 I paid? Yep. But the controls/knobs on the aimpoint are much better.

-Tom
Old 11-11-2010, 9:30 PM

I have the Strikefire with just the red dot. There is one with a green/red combo but the one I checked out in the store was pretty dim, and I've a lot of other people complain about the same thing. The red dot only is very bright.

I've put about 500 rds. through my gun with it mounted and its been fine so far. The dot is nice and crisp and the sight looks like it is built pretty well. I had a problem with the mount coming loose but some locktite fixed that.

I say for $149 you can't beat it. It is a quality scope for the money. I can't see putting $500 into an Aimpoint or Eotech for my gun since it is mostly a plinker. But I also can't see putting a huge piece of crap on my gun either. So this is a good compromise between the overpriced Eotech/AP's and the super cheap China crap. Also comes with a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Pic on the gun:

Tried to get a good pic of the dot. Its a little lopsided because I was trying to hold the gun and camera at the same time. But the dot is very crisp and round:

Pic of the controls. Night vision capable, brightness up/down:

Closeup of the mount/sight:

Last edited by NorCalRedneck; 11-11-2010 at 9:33 PM..
Old 11-11-2010, 9:31 PM

I owned a strikefire and it worked very well. I currently own a Sparc and love it. Sparc vs strikefire is optical view size of course. But the sparc is nice and small, and light just like the aimpoint. It feels and is built with higher quality than the strikefire. Which one to choose depends on your needs. Both great, both have a doubler.
Old 11-11-2010, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

I had the Strikefire, it was a great red dot. Sold mine to JRent up above

One of the reasons that I ended up selling my Strikefire was that it was a little too big for me and added more weight than was necessary onto my already heavy AK74. I replaced the Strikefire with a PA Microdot Gen 2.

Another reason for the replacement was that because the power button for the Vortex optics are mounted on the side, I would always store the rifle and transport it with the battery out, or else the case would always squeeze the sight and end up turning the optic on. I just got tired of having to remove and replace the battery every time I transported my rifle. The PA Microdot is turned on via turning of a knob, so it won't accidentally be turned on in a case or anything.
Old 11-11-2010, 9:34 PM

Good review NorCalRedneck. Thanks for the info!
Old 11-11-2010, 9:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRedneck View Post
I have the Strikefire with just the red dot. There is one with a green/red combo but the one I checked out in the store was pretty dim, and I've a lot of other people complain about the same thing. The red dot only is very bright.

I've put about 500 rds. through my gun with it mounted and its been fine so far. The dot is nice and crisp and the sight looks like it is built pretty well. I had a problem with the mount coming loose but some locktite fixed that.

I say for $149 you can't beat it. It is a quality scope for the money. I can't see putting $500 into an Aimpoint or Eotech for my gun since it is mostly a plinker. But I also can't see putting a huge piece of crap on my gun either. So this is a good compromise between the overpriced Eotech/AP's and the super cheap China crap. Also comes with a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Pic on the gun:

Tried to get a good pic of the dot. Its a little lopsided because I was trying to hold the gun and camera at the same time. But the dot is very crisp and round:

Pic of the controls. Night vision capable, brightness up/down:

Closeup of the mount/sight:
It isn't nightvision capable, really. All that the NV setting does is dim the dot down so much that it's nearly invisible in daylight, but perfectly visible at night without being too bright causing a bunch of internal reflections and adding glare to your sight picture.
Old 11-12-2010, 6:01 AM

I really like my Vortex Strikefire
Old 11-12-2010, 6:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Another Strikefire user here. Can't beat it for $150.

Old 11-12-2010, 8:02 AM

Doh! Responded in the wrong thread. And I'm not even drunk!!

;-)

Last edited by billped; 11-12-2010 at 11:01 AM..
Old 11-12-2010, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member

^^^Trying to see how this post is related

I have a Strikefire and I love it. It does what it has to do on my Marlin Camp 9, and it does it quite well. I must agree, that purplish tint isnt ideal, but it isnt all too bad.

That being said, I want a SPARC because it looks bad *** and I want it on my AR since I will be selling my Camp 9.

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Old 11-12-2010, 3:19 PM

It keeps zero pretty good...lol I mean that I do still check it and make adjustments after I shoot a couple hundreds of rounds.(it ain't an aimpoint :-)
Old 11-12-2010, 3:24 PM

looks like more strikefire users than sparc
Old 11-12-2010, 3:56 PM

That's because the Sparc just came out. Although the Sparc is slightly more expensive, it comes with a mount for low, absolute, and 1/3 co-witness as well as a 2x magnifier, albiet the magnifier is sorta hokey. Anyways, you can pop on some butler creek flip ups, not like an H1/T1, and you can use quality H1/T1 mounts. The Sparc is every bit as rugged at the Strikefire. But in a smaller package. And the illumination is extremely bright.

Last edited by UserM4; 11-12-2010 at 4:01 PM..