Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 PM

Question LEO Question about transporting S&W handguns in the Plastic Factory Boxes.

I am planning to take my Grandson out for a day of shooting in the desert east of San Diego the day after Thanksgiving. When transporting my Smith & Wesson Handguns, I have the handgun cable lock that came with the gun, and the factory plastic boxes. My question is, do I lock it thru the cylinder of the revolvers, and leave the box unlocked. Or can I just run it thru the lock hole on the outside of the box and leave the gun unlocked inside the box. I have to pass thru 2 Border Patrol check points as well as the 100 mile drive each way. I plan to take between 6 to 10 different revolvers and a couple bottom feeders also with the same type of S&W factory box. I always take a folder with my DROS information and copies of the paperwork on all the firearms, so there will be no problem as to me being the legal registered owner of them if stopped. I just want to make sure that I am carrying them correctly. They will be in the extra cab behind the seats and the ammo will be in a milk crate back in the bed of the truck. If for some reason I get stopped I just want to make sure that any CHP or BP or LEO will be satisfied with the way I am transporting things. Thank you for any replies.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It has to be in a locked container. My suggestion is to put the cable lock through the hole and then loop it around the carry handle of the box twice.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 11-11-2010, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

If you don't have appropriately sized padlocks to use in the holes provided on the cases, then wrapping the cable locks tight around the handles should work. Locked container means locked container, not a cable lock through an open cylinder, unfortunately. So long as you making a reasonable effort to lock the cases, you should be good to go.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 11-11-2010, 6:09 PM

Or do you have a locking container like a briefcase, small suitcase, etc? Tool box or fishing box? Just something it can be locked up in. Does not need to be fancy.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." Orwell or someone wrote it-but I have lived it......and brother of the thin blue line . . .