Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:42 AM

Default Shooting rests...?

I was thinking about getting one of those shooting rest things for sighting in my rifle with different ammos types at the range. There are like a million different types and prices. Anyone have any suggestions or advice based off of the ones you've used?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:09 PM

my stepfather always used a few towels from the hall closet.. i do the same.. never had an issue..
Boy the way Glen Miller played, songs that made the hit parade, guys like us we had it made, those were the days, and you know where you were then, girls were girls and men were men, mister we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again, didn't need no welfare states everybody pulled his weight, gee our old Lasalle ran great, those were the days!

who wants a fishtank?
Old 11-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Calguns Addict

The ones you add weight to can cause broken stocks so be careful about too much weight. I have one with a hyd shock on it and you use a remote trigger. It works well but must have a solid base to attach it to for best results.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Buy a real proper competition type bench rest. It will last a lifetime, you won't regret it.

Thanx, Russ

P.S. And the Protektor bags to go with it.

Last edited by russ69; 11-06-2010 at 1:01 PM..
Old 11-06-2010, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ69 View Post
Buy a real proper competition type bench rest. It will last a lifetime, you won't regret it.
You mean something like this?

Old 11-06-2010, 1:47 PM
Calguns Addict

No, like this:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...l_Purpose_Rest

Thanx, Russ

P.S. There are less expensive models but you really can't have too good of a rest.
Old 11-06-2010, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgs1975 View Post
I was thinking about getting one of those shooting rest things for sighting in my rifle with different ammos types at the range. There are like a million different types and prices. Anyone have any suggestions or advice based off of the ones you've used?
As you state, there's a bunch of different styles out there. If you're content with "minute of paper plate" accuracy, then just about anything will do. If you really want to test your rifle and ammo's capabilities then you have to have a stable shooting platform. A wobbly rest will not help your group size one bit. Also, a wobbly bench won't help you either. I can literally lean on the benchtop at my local range and watch my crosshair's move about an inch across the target due to the wooden tops they have on most of the benches. They've started adding concrete tops to some of the benches which has helped a lot. I would consider the Caldwell Rock BR rest the absolute minimum quality rest to get. From there, you move on up to the RW Hart and Sinclair rests. I'd get the windage top with either. Both rests are heavy enough to be stable for good accuracy. From there, you move on up to the more custom rests from JJ LOH or the Co-Axials from Farley or SEB. These are all common at benchrest matches, there's even more specialized/custom rests out there too.

To the front rest, you want to add a bunny ear, heavy sand, heavy bottom rear bag. The heavy bottom will help prevent the rounding out that the standard bottom bags so commonly do. This rounding will decrease stability and accuracy, then you'll want to buy a stabilizer bag to keep the rear bag steady. Protektor is the Chevy, Edgewood is the Cadillac (nothing wrong with Chevy's). The nice thing about ordering direct from Protektor is, they will make it all leather or cordura on the ears if you wish and for a minimal upcharge they will fill it nice and full of sand for you (can be more trouble than it's worth getting it real full). Although the shipping will be a little more since it's heavier.

Something like this:
http://protektormodel.com/14a.htm

-or-

http://protektormodel.com/14BDBB.htm

Bottom line, get something heavy and stable if you're going for group/accuracy shooting. If not, you'll never know for sure what you and your rifle/ammo are capable of (ignoring the use of windflags here). One of my rests is probably ~40# or so but that's a front and rear rest that separate for BR match shooting. To each half, I add 50# of lead weight to make sure the setup is rock solid, not gonna move under recoil. The rifle weighs about 56# and could move a lightweight setup when pushing it forward after the recoil from being fired.

-Rick

Last edited by Switchbarrel; 11-06-2010 at 5:45 PM.. Reason: added bag links
Old 11-06-2010, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchbarrel View Post
consider the Caldwell Rock BR rest the absolute minimum quality rest to get.
Check out this rest right here. <$160.00 and you will have a decent starter. Get a decent rear bag as well and you'll be set.

Edit for links:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=348661 (rest)

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/si...t_Ear_Rear_Bag (rear bag)

For the Learned Rifleman

Last edited by RugerNo1; 11-06-2010 at 4:45 PM..